Keeping and tracking your own coin

foxcritter

I purchased a geocoin for my son, and as I suspected, my 8 year old doesn't want to leave it in a cache. He still wants to log it for each cache he finds but I am wondering how I go about doing that and is that ok?

I made a note about it on the coins page, but not sure that it will calculate distance that way. I have already logged 3 of the caches we have been to, but didn't dare to log the coin on the cache page as I didn't want anyone to think it was in there.

Friendly help please....

Edited by foxcritter

Lots of people do that, it's a nice way to keep track of YOUR mileage! One way i've seen people do it is to post a note to the cache page stating you're just dipping the coin. Put the coin in the cache along with the note, then just go to the coin's page and retrieve it. You can also delete your note from the cache page after that (it won't affect the dropping of it). So then it should log the mileage and it'll be back in your virtual hands and not listed on the cache page.

I purchased a geocoin for my son, and as I suspected, my 8 year old doesn't want to leave it in a cache. He still wants to log it for each cache he finds but I am wondering how I go about doing that and is that ok?

I made a note about it on the coins page, but not sure that it will calculate distance that way. I have already logged 3 of the caches we have been to, but didn't dare to log the coin on the cache page as I didn't want anyone to think it was in there.

Friendly help please....

Hi it is called dipping and many people do it to track their own mileage

Drop it into the cache and then grab it back

Bob - there are even coins made to celebrate this

just do a "drop" when you log the cache, then immediately do a "retrieve"

this is often called "dipping", and is a fairly common practice

the mileage will not be updated unless the trackable item actually visits a cache

Right, posting a note on the coins page wont do anything, you have to drop it into the cache page first, then retrieve it.

Friendly help please....

It is perfectly fine to do that.

Here is my coin that I use : http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...d0-021a1e9095be