Street Navigation with TOPO Maps

You can use Topo Maps for navigation but it will NOT auto route for you. Auto Routing is when the GPS (or MapSource) gives you automatically generated turn by turn directions (via roads) between two locations.

EDIT: Thanks roybassist

Edited by ryleyinstl

Generally speaking, maps that have routing capabilities have a lot more information attached to each street than the streets in a Topo map. Things like, speed limit, one-way/two-way, streets that are actual intersections (as opposed to overpasses), etc. This information allows for auto-routing but it also makes the database a lot larger.

Hope this explains it for you,

JetSkier

Thanks for all the help... I think that answers my question.

So... if someone was happy to print out mapquest directions and have a navigator who used the GPS and the directions in conjunction, they *might* be satisfied with that arrangement.

But if someone wanted to reroute on the fly, or spent time travelling alon, they would probably be much happier with the city navigator maps.

I assume that there's all sorts of waypoint information (restaurants, gas stations, etc) in the City Navigator maps as well? Is that right?

Thanks for all the help... I think that answers my question.

So... if someone was happy to print out mapquest directions and have a navigator who used the GPS and the directions in conjunction, they *might* be satisfied with that arrangement.

But if someone wanted to reroute on the fly, or spent time travelling alon, they would probably be much happier with the city navigator maps.

I assume that there's all sorts of waypoint information (restaurants, gas stations, etc) in the City Navigator maps as well? Is that right?

Yeh there are tons of waypoints on the city navigator maps.

On a 76CSx, can you use road-navigation features with the TOPO maps, or do you have to have City Navigator?
Something you may not have considered . . .

While your 76 will auto-route (turn-by-turn directions) with City Navigator, it will not speak, it will only beep. I just got a Nuvi 205W which has voice direction: Next turn 1.2 miles, turn left 300 feet, turn left now, all in a clear spoken voice, no need to look at the screen.

Some Nuvi's are only $100 with City Navigator built-in. That same Nuvi will also display your Topo maps, via its plug in SD card slot. Like this:

HiltmanCreek.gif

My point, for the price of CN, get a second, more functional road GPS.