How to see profile

shivia

Hi all. Could you suggest me a sites or programs for viewing a profile of my routes created by mapsource for 60csx. i tried gps_visualizer but it could not show the profile, i just obtain a error page, x-axis/y-axis etc...

thanks and very appreciate any help from you.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean when you say "converted from garmin mapsource route"...

- In Mapsource i create a route (example named xxx.gdb). Then, i convert (save as...) this route to another format (gpx format) xxx.gpx. Does this xxx.gpx file can be shown in GPS Trackmaker with profile view? thanks

If the information in MapSource contains a track or tracks, GPS TrackMaker and MapSource both will show profile information of the tracks.

Routes do not contain profile information.

The profile (i.e., altitude information) comes from you actually traversing the track and the GPS unit collecting that data as you go.

Routes that you plan but haven't traveled do not contain this data.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

If the information in MapSource contains a track or tracks, GPS TrackMaker and MapSource both will show profile information of the tracks.

Routes do not contain profile information.

The profile (i.e., altitude information) comes from you actually traversing the track and the GPS unit collecting that data as you go.

Routes that you plan but haven't traveled do not contain this data.

Motorcycle Mama, BAD information.....except for the first paragraph, TOTALLY INCORRECT.

It is strictly software dependent.

OK, so this is not all quite true....

If you create a route within Mapsource with a Garmin Topographic map turned on, you will be able to see the elevation profile of the route...

Here is a screen shot of a route in Topo Canada with the elevation profile. It only seems to show in thousand foot increments. This might be different on other map products.

routeprofile.jpg

And here is a track of the similar path with its profile.

trackprofile.jpg

Edited by Red90

Red 90....

You can take the pre-trip Route created in Mapsource, save it as a gpx file.

Import the gpx file into NG TOPO and with the route tool, using "shift", go point to point just recreating the Route you can already see. (You can't just "select" the route)

Right click on the new route and choose create profile.

The "Route Profile" will look just like your "Track Profile", except it is getting the DEM info from the map from where the straight "route" lines cross the contour lines. ......Raster maps vs Vector maps......

..........Or, just do it all in TOPO to start with.....the only reason to have Mapsource is really just to transfer MAPS into your GPSr. For everything else, it's kinda a PITB.

Edited by Grasscatcher