Printing the cache page

San Dimas Cachers

Why can't we print the cache page anymore. It print only half the page and no map. I think there font is too large.

I'm having the same problem. Bring the page up in print preview, and the left 1+ inch is cut off. Because it's the left side, it doesn't matter whether you print in portrait or landscape view, you can't recover the missing part of the page (which contains the coordinates and hints!)

Me too, can't print the cache page. Plus the decrypted hit does not print in PDF format!!

My main problem is the map which simply does not print. I can finesse if is I hit the information icon in the upper right corner of the map and then, in the menu selection, click on "map", but that's a pain.

Why can't we print the cache page anymore. It print only half the page and no map. I think there font is too large.

Read the 547+ posts in this thread, and then post your comments there: Official Release Notes Thread.

Very unhappy about loss of printing capabilities. No other web sites give us this problem. I even used "File", "Print" commands. Also tried right click on web page and clicked print, smae result

SHEESH! Isn't this the 'Electronic Age'?

There is no longer a need to print anything!

Take all the money you would have spent on paper and ink cartridges and get an older PDA to put the information on. You can get a decent PDA on EBay or Craigslist for about the same price as ONE SET of printer cartridges.

Take all the money you would have spent on paper and ink cartridges and get an older PDA to put the information on. You can get a decent PDA on EBay or Craigslist for about the same price as ONE SET of printer cartridges.

There may not be a "need" to print anything, but some of us still "want" to print. The correct answer to "Why can't we print any more?" isn't "You don't 'need' to". The correct answer would be "We'll try to fix it".

As far as I'm concerned, paperless caching is much harder than just printing the sheets up and heading out the door. I'm already carrying a phone and GPSr, I don't need to pack around a PDA at the same time, too.

I'm already carrying a phone and GPSr, I don't need to pack around a PDA at the same time, too.

You may as well have a PDA instead of a stack of papers...

Also, are all the people having issues on IE? Printing works great for me (FF 3 on OSX).

As far as I am concerned, it is not a matter of money. I am not willing to carry along a PDA on my cache hikes and even less to handle it while riding a bicycle. (Sheets of paper are much easier to handle, they fit into any pocket and it does not matter if they fall down to the ground.)

In my region multi-caches (with many question-to-answer stages) and caches with long descriptions are much more common than in your region. The majority of cachers here still prefers to use printouts for such caches. Typically my cache printouts get very dirty, muddy and damp while caching, but I do not care as I do not need them again after having visited a cache. I would need to handle a PDA, however, with much more care. Caching in urban areas or with a high proportion of traditional caches where the description is hardly needed (perhaps only for checking a hint or reading some background information) is a completely different story.

Cezanne

Way to go -- really helpful when people have an issue they want resolved.

So does anyone have the ANSWER -- not more posts about why we need to save paper or buy PDAs or posts saying look at another thread -- just a simple ANSWER -- how does one print the cache page and see all of the text?

Have you tried Firefox?

PLEASE FIX THE PRINT FUNCTION so that we can print our geocache pages. When I go hunting I have my pages on a clipboard so I look 'official' and muggles don't bother me. :unsure:

How clever to actually use the clipboard for something... :drama:

:ph34r::o:o:o:o:o:o:unsure:

This issue of not being able to print a cache page IS ALSO the same issue with printing a benchmark page!

Printing a benchmark page is CRITICAL to this aspect of the hobby. Without this we are SCREWED!

I can only assume the folks that made the change are not active participants or users of what they publish.

PLEASE return the ability to screenprint a page from this site to us members ASAP.. or you will begin to loose folks from the hobby!

:drama::D:o:o:o:o:D

:ph34r::o:o:o:o:o:o:unsure:

This issue of not being able to print a cache page IS ALSO the same issue with printing a benchmark page!

Printing a benchmark page is CRITICAL to this aspect of the hobby. Without this we are SCREWED!

I can only assume the folks that made the change are not active participants or users of what they publish.

PLEASE return the ability to screenprint a page from this site to us members ASAP.. or you will begin to loose folks from the hobby!

:drama::D:o:o:o:o:D

Well, maybe, but I like caching enough to NOT be one of them, with or without paper! A little extreme, isn't it?

I don't have an issue as I use FF but I did bring up an old IE6 version and saw the problem. However, using the supplied print links worked fine - the simple print as well as the PDF options. Those are the ones you are supposed to print with, not the raw page.

If you have to have to have the "raw" page, you can do a workaround by cut and pasting the page into a document (eg MS Word) and printing it.

I'm sure the issue is being worked on but to me it doesn't look as urgent as some of you are making it.

OK, I just got an email back from one of the web folks at GC.com.

They are aware of the issue, are working on it, and suggest for now printing the simple (no images) version of the page, which does not have this problem.

I am going to give them time to fix it and take their advice until then.

Read the 547+ posts in this thread, and then post your comments there: Official Release Notes Thread.

Us too!! Maybe the server work they are doing later today will help. I wish a notice would have been put on the site indicating some may have printing problems. Would have saved us alot of time and frustration as we just got a new computer and thought it was in connection between our computer & printer :unsure:

I don't have an issue as I use FF but I did bring up an old IE6 version and saw the problem. However, using the supplied print links worked fine - the simple print as well as the PDF options. Those are the ones you are supposed to print with, not the raw page.

If you have to have to have the "raw" page, you can do a workaround by cut and pasting the page into a document (eg MS Word) and printing it.

I'm sure the issue is being worked on but to me it doesn't look as urgent as some of you are making it.

That sums up most of the solutions nicely. :unsure:

There are NO print options supplied on the Benchmark Description pages. ___ The only option is doing the "raw" print method. ____ See for yourself by visiting this page CLICK HERE

Yep, the PDF option works just fine. Thanks for pointing it out because I had not noticed it. Nice feature

The 'printer friendly' version is not very 'friendly' with long cache desciptions. One of our caches, a multi, GC1AZX6, take 19 pages to print in the 'friendly' version, and is very un-friendly to read :ph34r: It only takes 10 pages to print in the normal WYSIWYG print :o

The best thing would be to roll back to the previous version :drama:

Lets hope the problem can be sorted SOON - but somehow I doubt it :unsure:

There are NO print options supplied on the Benchmark Description pages. ___ The only option is doing the "raw" print method. ____ See for yourself by visiting this page CLICK HERE

Well, maybe you should try Firefox. Works great for me. :unsure:

That is true - for Benchmarks you would need to cut and paste (Edit - Select All, and then paste) the page into a document or email to get it to print, until Groundspeak loads a fix. At least you can still get out there and play!!

Edited by Huntcliff

There may not be a "need" to print anything, but some of us still "want" to print. The correct answer to "Why can't we print any more?" isn't "You don't 'need' to". The correct answer would be "We'll try to fix it".

As far as I'm concerned, paperless caching is much harder than just printing the sheets up and heading out the door. I'm already carrying a phone and GPSr, I don't need to pack around a PDA at the same time, too.

If you are just going for one or two...no problem, print away! I am not in charge of fixing the 'problem', so I can only provide alternatives. I like having the latest info for ALL the caches in my state available in my pocket at any time.

As far as I am concerned, it is not a matter of money. I am not willing to carry along a PDA on my cache hikes and even less to handle it while riding a bicycle. (Sheets of paper are much easier to handle, they fit into any pocket and it does not matter if they fall down to the ground.)

In my region multi-caches (with many question-to-answer stages) and caches with long descriptions are much more common than in your region. The majority of cachers here still prefers to use printouts for such caches. Typically my cache printouts get very dirty, muddy and damp while caching, but I do not care as I do not need them again after having visited a cache. I would need to handle a PDA, however, with much more care. Caching in urban areas or with a high proportion of traditional caches where the description is hardly needed (perhaps only for checking a hint or reading some background information) is a completely different story.

Cezanne

Yes, indeed a PDA does require careful handling.

If you are only hunting a few caches, then perhaps printouts are the way to go.

I like to have ALL the details of ALL the caches in my state available at my fingertips.

I have no idea how I would juggle a binder filled with 8,000 printouts while riding my bicycle.

Way to go -- really helpful when people have an issue they want resolved.

Acquiring a PDA and loading it with the details of your local caches is certainly a viable alternative to printing all those cache pages.

I think it would resolve the issue permanently.

Right, but my sense from reading the original post was that this person wants to know how to print a cache page.

This all seems a moot point now as we know that they are working on the problem and that there are other ways to print the information (e.g., a PDF file).

My answer to your suggetion was pretty terse -- so I withdraw it.

Right, but my sense from reading the original post was that this person wants to know how to print a cache page.

This all seems a moot point now as we know that they are working on the problem and that there are other ways to print the information (e.g., a PDF file).

My answer to your suggetion was pretty terse -- so I withdraw it.

No harm, no foul! :unsure:

This issue seems to be a much bigger deal to a lot more cachers than I would have suspected.

I, too, have been affected by the recent changes, but printing wasn't/isn't among my problems.

I was helped immensely by the replies to this topic. Having bought a new printer, I thought that it was faulty, or that I was doing something wrong, e.g. internet settings, etc., but I realized that others could not print the 1st cache page properly. I do like reading the logs.

The problem seems to have been corrected. Also for a few days I was unable to download the co-ords into my Garmin Map 60Cx. That is working now as well.

Thanks to all who wrote in.