Garmin Colorado-hole

Hi!

I've had my Colorado for about 2 month now, and am very pleased with it.

But today I explored a little strange thing. When I looked at the bottom of the black cover, in the middle, I saw a very small hole. When I took off the cover, I could see some gum or glue inside of the cover(on the bottom of the cover).

Just wondering if anybody else got this on their cover. Kind of strange if Garmin produced them like this?

Probably not a big problem, looks like it is sealed on the inside, so if I keep an eye on it :rolleyes:

Best regards

Sveinung

Ok. :rolleyes: Perfect. Probably something to do with the barometric stuff. Thanks. Forums is great to have :blink:

It may be an engineering oversight/design change that was fixed early on by sealing the hole. The hot glue seal is now essential as if it failed water could/would leak into the SD card slot bypassing its O-ring seal. If you remove the cover again and follow along the center line of the unit toward the top you will pass the battery compartment area and past its seal. Before you reach the lip of the unit that the cover butts up against there is a similarly manufactured small hole into the unit. This is likely where the barameter senses air pressure as it is located outside the sealed off areas when the cover is in place. My guess is that very little water would flow through either of these holes unless there was some differential pressure.

Edited by Ratsneve

Hi!

I've had my Colorado for about 2 month now, and am very pleased with it.

But today I explored a little strange thing. When I looked at the bottom of the black cover, in the middle, I saw a very small hole. When I took off the cover, I could see some gum or glue inside of the cover(on the bottom of the cover).

Just wondering if anybody else got this on their cover. Kind of strange if Garmin produced them like this?

Probably not a big problem, looks like it is sealed on the inside, so if I keep an eye on it :o

Best regards

Sveinung

I don't know the manufacturing details of the Colorado, but it sounds very much like the vent for the barometer as found on the eTrex range - see this post for details on how to test it for yourself:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3295729

I don't know that particular unit, but I think every Garmin gps with a barometric altimeter has a hole in the case - the altimeter won't work without it.

It's called a "pitot" intake. All altimeters have them. My 76CSx has one.

Pitot was the name of the French scientist who developed the "pitot tube" which is used to measure fluid velocity. On an aircraft this would be airspeed. The aircraft altimeter (barometer) hooks up to a "static port" on the side of the fuselage. I guess this little pinhole on the Colorado line (not the one that is plugged at the bottom of the cover but the one near the top between the case lip and the battery compartment seal) might best be called a "static port".