Deletion of found logs

kidloco

A geocacher is refusing to accept my found log on his cache because he says that he doesn't accept logs with positive or negative opinions. He deleted my log twice and refuses to compromise and to be told some good sense. My log had no spoilers and in fact is saying good things about the cache. What can i do in this situation?

A geocacher is refusing to accept my found log on his cache because he says that he doesn't accept logs with positive or negative opinions. He deleted my log twice and refuses to compromise and to be told some good sense. My log had no spoilers and in fact is saying good things about the cache. What can i do in this situation?
Post a neutral log and move on...

Log it just as "SLTFTC" and don't let it bother you.

There are a lot of Bozos and control freaks out there. Guess you ran into one. Either forget about it and move on, or post a log that makes the owner happy and move on.

where is this cache? i want to plan my next vacation around it.

i usually link my logs for the day together, so if i'm snubbing a cache, you get a good sense for it. the logs on either side have actual logs, and the idiot cache doesn't even get a full sentence.

Log a simple TFTC and put the rest of his caches on Ignore.

here's another favorite of mine for when it isn't worth my time to write a log:

HEY! I don't think I like the tone of that "." -- too many negative connotations! :rolleyes:

Gonna go check all my hides & see if you used it in any so I can delete them, straightaway!

Maybe change it to a "!" :antenna:

:blink:

~S*H

Delete the cache.

Thanks for your answers!

This wasn't the first time i had problems with this guy, some time ago he started to register found logs in some of my caches without having found them, just for the pleasure of teasing, in others he wrote notes saying ignore list which is something that we keep for ourselfs and doesn't go out in the public. After i deleted this logs he wrote some offensive logs to me and to other geocachers.

The cache in question is this one :

Lusitani: Grande Porto (GC1E5DQ)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...de-ea1da57e4dcf

The cache owner is enforcing an additional logging requirement. According to the guidelines, the cache should be listed as ?Mystery, and the logging requirement mentioned. As the cache is fairly new, it's possible that the reviewer would involve themselves in correcting the type. Note I say *possible*. It's also possible that the reviewer won't, especially if the ALR isn't on the cache page, and the only logs being deleted are yours. Oddly, the cache owner can delete any log for any reason, but if they're uniformly applying a "neutral logs only" rule, then the cache type needs to change.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#mystery

As it seems like it's possible that this is purely personal, you may have to just live with it.

Ignore ignore ignore....

Well in this case i don't know if it's entirely personal but the guy seems to be a bit strange.

I think that this is a question of principle, if we spend time and money to find a cache and in the end the owner for some silly reason doesn't let you log the found what's the point of playing this game?

If we allow this kind of behaviour geocaching will lack credibility and at the same time a bad example is being set to others. If it's possible to delete found logs of the people we don't like or for some other reason apart from having undesirable spoilers without having some sort of penalty this is going to be like a jungle and a game with no interest.

Edited by kidloco

It's a game and some people have their own interpretation of how it is to be played.

Most Cache owners seem like very nice people who want to add something to the caching community as a whole, but like anything there are some who seem to go against the grain. Their choice; don't let it ruin the spirit of the game. Either log "Found" or ignore and move on.

The only person you can control is yourself. So stay in control and enjoy.

- G

:o

Yep, I'm a cold bastard... bla bla bla.

From a guy who delete logs ones after anothers... move caches from locations... and many other things... oh yeah... I'm the evil one.

Get a Life, and as the other members said, just log it "found it", the rule is only to you.

You can´t "preach" in the caches of other what you don't preach on yours.

To all, greetings from Portugal.

Last summer I had a cache owner delete my web cam cache log three times because he expected me to return to work THREE WEEKS early to upload the required picture.

And might that have been because you did not fulfill the logging requirement? The requirement is fairly simple "Post your picture (taken by the webcam) here as proof that you were there. This is required to log this cache!" I am not sure what part of this that you did not understand. This is a web cam cache, for goodness sake. I did not 'expect you to return to work THREE WEEKS early to upload the picture.' I do not care when you log it. I do require you to post the picture when you log the cache. Your first three logs did not fulfill the requirement. This was explained to you. This is a webcam cache, for goodness sake.

I was logging on the road and wanted to maintain the integrity of the order of my finds. My request was perfectly reasonable. You showed lack of consideration. You were as obstructive and unbending (qualities you seem to abhor in others) as you accuse others in many of your postings in the forums. Look in the mirror. You were guilty of most of your own criticisms.

Last summer I had a cache owner delete my web cam cache log three times because he expected me to return to work THREE WEEKS early to upload the required picture.

And might that have been because you did not fulfill the logging requirement? The requirement is fairly simple "Post your picture (taken by the webcam) here as proof that you were there. This is required to log this cache!" I am not sure what part of this that you did not understand. This is a web cam cache, for goodness sake. I did not 'expect you to return to work THREE WEEKS early to upload the picture.' I do not care when you log it. I do require you to post the picture when you log the cache. Your first three logs did not fulfill the requirement. This was explained to you. This is a webcam cache, for goodness sake.

Edited by Girls Phind Squirrels

you know, when i'm on the road and want to maintain the integrity of order of my finds, i might write a note to the cache owner explaining this and also when i reasonably expect to post the picture.

so far nobody has disallowed it.

polite request first, log after.

and if the order of posts is THAT important, i can just take notes and log the whole thing when i get home.

Did that got no reply. This is the only time this has ever happened to me. All other geocachers are sensible, considerate and flexible. (At least my experience tells me so.) I would also like to note that he chose to come out of the closet himself. I did not identify him--also a sensible considerate act. Only other time I had a logging issue the owner politely emailed me and I responded. He accepted my response graciously and allowed my log to stand. I met his logging requirements but due to unforseen circumstances it took me three months. Now, isn't he a gem. I didn't expect that much consideration!

I was logging on the road and wanted to maintain the integrity of the order of my finds.

When I want to do that, I log a "note" in the spot where my find will go later, then change that log to a find when I am home and can load my photos. It does preserve the order.

There are still too many open wounds left by the OP on the Portuguese Geocaching Community.

Guess he's now collecting what he delivered in the recent past. Acts such as creating sock puppet accounts, caches held "hostage" by those individualities he created, threats with legal actions to other geocachers, are just a sample. These are facts known to a large number of geocachers, even by our reviewer, not rumors.

It's ironic to see a post like this here, asking for the right thing to do. Oh well, just another chapter in this sad story.

Cheese with whine, anyone? :D

Oh but then you expect the owner to keep an eye on your log (and eventually on other logs following the same line of action) for three weeks.... or more, depending on each one. Doesn't sound fair to me. Log when you are ready, that's my idea of good sense regarding these episodes.

Edited by Torgut

I was logging on the road and wanted to maintain the integrity of the order of my finds.

When I want to do that, I log a "note" in the spot where my find will go later, then change that log to a find when I am home and can load my photos. It does preserve the order.

I know how to do that now but I didn't then and the much more experienced cache owner summarily deleted the log accompanied by a very arrogant email rather than changing the log (which is an option he has) to a note and sending me a polite email explaining why.

Canadian cachers are just so polite and accomodating. They help less experience people. They also realize that there a very few real cheaters out there and that most people will honour good intentions. I realize now that you can't expect the same consideration while travelling in other jurisdictions. Too bad for the rest of the world.

Mr. Dolphin is just looking for a fight as he was then. There was no need for him to flame himself. I offered up my experience as another example of what I felt was heavy handedness. I deliberately did not identify him.

I know how to do that now but I didn't then and the much more experienced cache owner summarily deleted the log accompanied by a very arrogant email rather than changing the log (which is an option he has) to a note and sending me a polite email explaining why.

Cache owners do not have the ability to change a log to a note, only the finder has that ability.

I almost responded earlier, I have also deleted logs without the required pictures. My caches state that they are subject too deletion after 72 hours without notice. Logic is if you had the ability to post the log, you had the ability to post the pic. If not, wait until you get home or give me the courtesy of a note with an explanation.

Thanks Baloo. I just learned something new. I thought the cache owner could change the log because on GC1169 a few weeks back the cache owner indicated that he had done just that. I assumed he meant what he said but I guess he just said he changed the log when in fact he must have asked the poster to do it.

If your logging requirements specifically say 72 hours I would note why I couldn't do that. I am not a techie whiz. I don't even know how to get the photos off my camera. For that I need a 10 year old. We often take very long road trips and use internet cafes for logging. Photo requirements do pose a problem although I have never not complied. I like to log on the road because I am notorious for losing paper.

Actually, no. I expect the owner to know I have good intentions and will honour them. I recently placed a cache that had a logging requirement. The reviewer asked if this was a suggestion or requirement. My reply, I've got better things to do than moniter how others play the game.

Oh but then you expect the owner to keep an eye on your log (and eventually on other logs following the same line of action) for three weeks.... or more, depending on each one. Doesn't sound fair to me. Log when you are ready, that's my idea of good sense regarding these episodes.

Cooperate and graduate.

In other words be neutral in the log like the onwer asked.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Actually, no. I expect the owner to know I have good intentions and will honour them. I recently placed a cache that had a logging requirement. The reviewer asked if this was a suggestion or requirement. My reply, I've got better things to do than moniter how others play the game. ...

Sounds like you have a suggested theme and it's not clear that it's only suggested which is why the reviewer asked.

One thing you can do with themes is the cache up so the theme has to be completed to find the cache in some way. Cachers will work hard to find a cache, but won't work hard at all to log them.

Sort of, and I have enjoyed the logs of those who have participated. But I also enjoyed the simple find logs. Those people enjoyed my cache just as much as others who did the extra bit. I wouldn't take their find away. I wouldn't even consider setting up a cache that would force me to take their find away. Life is too short.

Sounds interesting. I was within a mile of it last week, but I didn't check it out. Maybe someday. Doesn't sound very easy. :D

The guy from Portugal, that this thread is originally about, sounds like quite the character.

As far as the webcam, I don't know, I probably would have posted a note until I could present the pic. But I would probably never be in that particular situation of not having it for 3 weeks. The Dolphin's cache page doesn't, to me, make it totally clear you must have the photo at the time of your "find" log.

In the immortal words of Keanu Reeves, "Be excellent to each other". Unless it was the other guy in the movie who said that. :D

Don't worry about it. It's not your fault and there is.very little you can do about it. To get your numbers right, you can muti log the deleted caches on another cache (yours or another friendly cacher's). Be sure to spell out with each log what cache you are logging just as you would do on the actual cache page. The reason I know this is because in our area we have a couple of nutty cachers who are obsessed with another cacher and keep deleting the cacher's logs just because they don't like him. 99.9% of the folks in this game are great then there is the .1%! :D

I was logging on the road and wanted to maintain the integrity of the order of my finds. My request was perfectly reasonable. You showed lack of consideration. You were as obstructive and unbending (qualities you seem to abhor in others) as you accuse others in many of your postings in the forums. Look in the mirror. You were guilty of most of your own criticisms.

Mrs. Squirrels,

It was explained to you that your log did not meet the requirements for a webcam cache, and that you could log it when, and if, you posted the require photo taken by the webcam. And, yet, you rather obstinantly insisted on logging it not once but twice more, knowing that you were not posting the required photo. One would have thought that you would have learnt that after one deletion. I will admit that this attitude did not endear you to me. It took you thirty days to post the required photo. Most people who are travelling understand the requirement, and wait until they have the opportunity to fill the requirement. This is called understanding the rules.

There do seem to be some people who do not understand the nature of a webcam cache. They think that, since they are somewhere in the neighborhood, they can log it. I choose to maintain the integrity of my cache by deleting all logs that do not meet the requirements. I generally offer the opportunity to change the log to a note, which offer I thought that I had offered you.

To relog, not once, but twice, after you were informed that your log did not meet the basic requirements of a webcam cache seems very obstinant. To be holding a grudge a year afterward is worrisome.

I do not understand the word 'outing' that you use. I am proud to maintain the integrity of my cache. Anyone who logs it without the required photo will find their log deleted.

Perhaps, also, you might wish to check the Terms of Service associated with the Geocaching Forum. Insulting posters on the forum is not permitted.

Sincerely,

Harry J. Dolphin

Mr. Dolphin is just looking for a fight as he was then.

Bait not taken.

Then, Mrs. Squirrels, we shall kiss and make up. Dolphin never looks for a fight, but does not back down from challenges. So, shall we kiss and make up? Log with required photo was posted, and accepted. I had thought that that was the end of the disagreement. Never tempt dolphins with bait. Dolphins are especially fond of shrimp and salmon.

Agreed as long as there was no sarcasm intended. When I first posted to this board it was only my intention to describe my experience. If I had noted your earlier post I would have avoided doing so. At the time of the incident I did not know I could post a note and change to a find later. If you had asked me to proceed in that direction by polite email none of this would ever have occurred. I am even prepared to remove my quotes of your emails in my log should I feel you are sincere. Some of us just like to hike and find things but the vagaries of the techie side of this sport such as downloading coords and uploading images cause us grief.

Mr. Dolphin is just looking for a fight as he was then.

Bait not taken.

Then, Mrs. Squirrels, we shall kiss and make up. Dolphin never looks for a fight, but does not back down from challenges. So, shall we kiss and make up? Log with required photo was posted, and accepted. I had thought that that was the end of the disagreement. Never tempt dolphins with bait. Dolphins are especially fond of shrimp and salmon.

Canadian cachers are just so polite and accomodating. They help less experience people. They also realize that there a very few real cheaters out there and that most people will honour good intentions. I realize now that you can't expect the same consideration while travelling in other jurisdictions. Too bad for the rest of the world.

Oh, so it's us Merrikuns, is it? I found this statement amusing, as there is a long and sordid history of Canadian trolls, Canadian sock puppets, and bizarre cache logging and cache ownership stories from Canadian geocachers. Four years ago, the biggest dramas in these forums came from north of the border.

I never let those situations get in the way of my firm belief that the vast majority of Canadian cachers, like cachers everywhere, are nice, fun people. The same is true for the United States, Portugal or anyplace else.

I abhor generalizations and stereotypes. This one was right up there with "all micros are lame."

Oh, so it's us Merrikuns, is it? I found this statement amusing, as there is a long and sordid history of Canadian trolls, Canadian sock puppets, and bizarre cache logging and cache ownership stories from Canadian geocachers. Four years ago, the biggest dramas in these forums came from north of the border.

I never let those situations get in the way of my firm belief that the vast majority of Canadian cachers, like cachers everywhere, are nice, fun people. The same is true for the United States, Portugal or anyplace else.

I abhor generalizations and stereotypes. This one was right up there with "all micros are lame."

I didn't think anything of the Squrrels post, thought it was funny, actually. But if one is familiar with one of, if not the most obnoxious banned geocachers in history, Jomarac5, I can see Leps reaction. :o

Some other "Canadian content" off the top of my head:

KW vs. BQ a longstanding feud.

Pushkin from Nova Scotia Don't you dare drop a micro on his turf.

StonedCachers a bonafide troublemaker.

Hey, I'm glad to see Mr. Dolphin, and Mrs.Squirrels (as you so politely refer to each other) have made up. :ph34r:

I'm with you on the generalizations and stereotypes. But at least lame micros get their own thread on occasion.

We've got a brand new one just today. It's been quite a while since we've had a good knock down 'Canucks vs. Yanks' manners are better thread. :ph34r::o

Besides, wasn't this thread about poor Portuguese behavior? :P

I'm with you on the generalizations and stereotypes. But at least lame micros get their own thread on occasion.

We've got a brand new one just today. It's been quite a while since we've had a good knock down 'Canucks vs. Yanks' manners are better thread. :ph34r::o

Besides, wasn't this thread about poor Portuguese behavior? :drama:

Not me, I need to let them keep letting me back in the country, most notably for an event in 2 weeks. :o I just happened to have some Canadian drama examples off the top of my head. I think the Portuguese guy is just way over the top, and there isn't much to say. :unsure: