How do I find a reviewer?

Ok, I'm planning on going to Oklahoma next week, and want to do some caching there. I know I'm going to be visiting a certain lake, and there's a cache listed there (only one, oddly), but it hasn't been found since April. The last log was a DNF saying that the area was victim to a brush fire, but the owner hasn't temporarily disabled it, posted a note, or anything saying whether it's still there, if he's replacing it, etc. I posted a note asking whether it was still there, but no reply so far. I'd like to contact the reviewer to see if it needs to be archived, but I don't know how to find out who that is. All help appreciated :laughing:

Ok, I'm planning on going to Oklahoma next week, and want to do some caching there. I know I'm going to be visiting a certain lake, and there's a cache listed there (only one, oddly), but it hasn't been found since April. The last log was a DNF saying that the area was victim to a brush fire, but the owner hasn't temporarily disabled it, posted a note, or anything saying whether it's still there, if he's replacing it, etc. I posted a note asking whether it was still there, but no reply so far. I'd like to contact the reviewer to see if it needs to be archived, but I don't know how to find out who that is. All help appreciated :laughing:

Go to the cache page and scroll to the bottom. It will say there.

'There are more logs'

Click on "View them all on one page "

Now go to the first log and it will tell you who the Reviewer was that Published it.

And how is the reviewer going to know more than the cache owner as to whether or not it should be disabled or archived?

I have no idea. But I figured it made more sense for someone with authority to contact them than for me to do it...

The cache owner may be on vacation, may not have internet access, or may not even be geocaching anymore. Your best be may sadly be to try for yourself or to contact whoever posted the DNF for more info.

Ok, I'm planning on going to Oklahoma next week, and want to do some caching there. I know I'm going to be visiting a certain lake, and there's a cache listed there (only one, oddly), but it hasn't been found since April. The last log was a DNF saying that the area was victim to a brush fire...

In your shoes I'd hunt the cache. A DNF based on a brush fire may have had them assume it's gone rather than look the little bit more to find it. A bonus would be finding the melted heap of former cache. I'd claim that as a find. If I found a metal container with charred contents it would be my furst brush fire cache and also cool.

Worst case, you are there anyway, and had a hike. One of the coolest hikes I've ever been on was a burnt wood with twisted trees. The only thing missing was a mist blowing gently through. The coords were a bust and we found the cache about a mile away. It was a lot more boring.

And how is the reviewer going to know more than the cache owner as to whether or not it should be disabled or archived?

I have no idea. But I figured it made more sense for someone with authority to contact them than for me to do it...

You already contacted them with your note. Now you wait for them to respond, or not, as they see fit, and you look for their cache or not as you see fit.

As long as you are going to be there, you should just look for the cache. You never know what you might find.

fc1585cd-43db-4cfc-b967-562b33c482aa.jpg

And then again, you might find the container in perfect condition. Wildfires behave in interesting ways . . .

As long as you are going to be there, you should just look for the cache. You never know what you might find.

fc1585cd-43db-4cfc-b967-562b33c482aa.jpg

And then again, you might find the container in perfect condition. Wildfires behave in interesting ways . . .

Interesting. I was notified of a controlled burn after it occurred by a cacher seeking my cache which was a plastic peanut butter jar. :) Ooops!

I do not understand why you would want to waste your time. I'd rather seek a cache that is probably there than one that is probably not still there. Seems like a strange preoccupation. On local caches, I might consider it. On vacation, I want to find all the caches that I can. Okay, we did hunt ten or more that had not been found since last September, on the recent Geocaching Invasion of Maine. And we found them all! But, that was for a DeLorme Challenge where the importance was finding caches on a page.

It's easy to find a reviewer. Publish a cache in your front yard, and offer a free keg of beer as a FTF prize.

Reviewers see listings before anyone else, so your reviewer will probably arrive first. But you should first check to see if baiting is legal in your state. Also, because you may attact more than one reviewer, you should make sure you're familiar with your state's daily bag limits.

---

As for your specific question, another solution would be to ask a local if they know anything about the cache. Post in the local forums, or directly contact the last couple of finders. What's the name/waypoint of this cache? If there are other caches nearby maybe the owner of the another cache can check on it.

I do not understand why you would want to waste your time. I'd rather seek a cache that is probably there than one that is probably not still there. Seems like a strange preoccupation. On local caches, I might consider it. On vacation, I want to find all the caches that I can. Okay, we did hunt ten or more that had not been found since last September, on the recent Geocaching Invasion of Maine. And we found them all! But, that was for a DeLorme Challenge where the importance was finding caches on a page.

I second that one -- why would you set out to find a cache that most likely is gone?

I second that one -- why would you set out to find a cache that most likely is gone?

If you're ONLY going out there for the cache, it could be a letdown if it's missing. If you think the hike to the spot will be fun and you might find a long-missing cache, that could be a lot of fun.

What's the name/waypoint of this cache? If there are other caches nearby maybe the owner of the another cache can check on it.

GC1BFDP is the number for it, if you want to have a look. Like I said I'll be at the lake anyway, so it's not like it'll be all that much out of the way, and if I can confirm it's missing it might save someone else some trouble :unsure:

What's the name/waypoint of this cache? If there are other caches nearby maybe the owner of the another cache can check on it.

GC1BFDP is the number for it, if you want to have a look. Like I said I'll be at the lake anyway, so it's not like it'll be all that much out of the way, and if I can confirm it's missing it might save someone else some trouble :unsure:
Now that's an AWESOME attitude! Welcome to the game!

Just in case it's there! :unsure:

It's a very cool feeling to find a cache that had been presumed missing.

Yesterday we went looking for a cache that had had 8 DNFs since April (although the owner had verified in June and July that he visited the cache site and it was still there). We went for the challenge... We didn't find the cache but we found what may have been its remains. We sent pictures of the site to the owner and he has verified that the cache must have been vandalized.

It was still very fun, though, mostly because it was very physically challenging. Of course it would have been even more fun if we could have found the cache ^_^

(We had another DNF earlier in the day that was just the opposite: a needle-in-a-haystack search that was no fun at all.)

Edited by the hermit crabs

Just in case it's there! :unsure:

It's a very cool feeling to find a cache that had been presumed missing.

Check out my log for Melville Trout Pond!

Cache was archived before I started caching four years ago (was an old German .30cal ammo can). I found it's replacement early in my caching career, a big 50 cal ammo can. That one too went missing about a year ago.

A Girl Scout leader I was taking out caching said she thinks she had found the cache we were going to go do. It wasn't. It was German .30cal ammo can, so figure it was the original cache. But when I opened it, it had the log book from the replacement! And it was over 1/2 mile from either original location!

Way cool!

Container has been recycled by the owner into another replacement cache. It is in a direct line drawn from the first cache, through the second.