So Sad

I've just seen Mandy's post and I find it very sad that there are people out there who are determined to spoil it for others.

Mandy has put a lot of effort into this and has persuaded a lot of cachers to join in, now someone comes along and "reports her to teacher". I trust whoever it is feels they have achieved something. :laughing:

Edited by The Hornet

I just read that too and also thought it was a pity some f...olks feel the need to stick their oar in with MATO about a good natured, 'worthy' thread. Perhaps ClownSqueak need to rethink their policy on 'the C word' to allow a little more... latitude. Most people can spot a genuine thread from a genuine cacher supporting a genuine cause from a random chancer wanting us to help fund terrorism, or whatever GroanSneak's excuse for not allowing such threads is at the moment :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul
I've just seen Mandy's post and I find it very sad that there are people out there who are determined to spoil it for others.

Mandy has put a lot of effort into this and has persuaded a lot of cachers to join in, now someone comes along and "reports her to teacher". I trust whoever it is feels they have achieved something. :laughing:

I can't understand why some people go out of their way to try to de-rail what others are doing for a good cause. It would be poetic if one day they too were relying on a charities help only to find others denying it to them.

I quite agree "running to teacher" isn't called for.

There again the whole Charity/Commercial thread thing needs looking at, so at least it's applied evenly to all.

Unfortunately its pretty common in the UK forums. I had to remove part of my forum signature because someone told tales to teacher. It had lived happily at the bottom of all my posts for well over a year, and did not even have anything to do with the UK at all. Thanks Bob.

Words fail me and if they didnt I would probably be banned from posting.

Dave

My thoughts exactly. There is always one, isn't there. :laughing:

Luckily theres alot more who support and appreciate all the good work Mandy does. I think she's doing a great job and I personally can't wait to get this latest calendar. :)

Just another reason for me to frequent the regional forums more often.

JackieC

...I had to remove part of my forum signature because someone told tales to teacher...
I was under the impression that sig lines were exempt, unless they were beyond the bounds of good taste?

That "used" to be the rule, in fact it was stated as that by mtn-man in one of his postings on this forum after the reviewers/moderators quit. But someone pushed the point with TPTB and my sig was deemed to be "commercial" and had to be removed. Not after quite a fight on my part, but with the prospect of a total ban from the forums looming I backed down.

It's sad really as my sig affected the complainer in no way whatsoever and having it removed made no difference to him, or anyone else in the UK forum. Squeeling for squeelings sake. Not as sad as having Mandy's thread closed I admit.

...I had to remove part of my forum signature because someone told tales to teacher...
I was under the impression that sig lines were exempt, unless they were beyond the bounds of good taste?

That "used" to be the rule, in fact it was stated as that by mtn-man in one of his postings on this forum after the reviewers/moderators quit. But someone pushed the point with TPTB and my sig was deemed to be "commercial" and had to be removed. Not after quite a fight on my part, but with the prospect of a total ban from the forums looming I backed down.

It's sad really as my sig affected the complainer in no way whatsoever and having it removed made no difference to him, or anyone else in the UK forum. Squeeling for squeelings sake. Not as sad as having Mandy's thread closed I admit.

Absolutely gobsmacked - never knew I was breaching any unwritten laws but then again round here that isn't too unusual. I guess I'll remove my forum siggy, as a paying advertiser on Groundspeak I'll be getting some advice as to what the current policy is on siggys, but as you say there should be one rule and it should be enforced everywhere not just here.

Ian

EDIT: profile edited to change my siggy line but I guess it takes time to change on here.

Edited by studlyone

Presumably the person who complained about Mandy's forum thread had their reasons. Perhaps they would like to explain to the rest of us why they felt compelled to report her to "the authorities" (I mustn't use the acronym above for fear of being told off, or worse :laughing: )

Do people suggest that a blind eye is turned to all charity efforts then? If that's the case this will turn into a free for all "sponsor me for this" etc. etc.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did to be honest.... and NO, I didn't report the thread.

Do people suggest that a blind eye is turned to all charity efforts then? If that's the case this will turn into a free for all "sponsor me for this" etc. etc.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did to be honest.... and NO, I didn't report the thread.

Fair enough Stuey, at least you had the decency to ask the question here.

At one time the moderators of this forum used good old common sense to ensure the situation you describe didn't arise. I think most posters to this forum realised there were limits to what was acceptable and tended to stick to them. For this I congratulate the good sense of the UK forum regulars, not the forum moderators :)

I think if you look back through the forum you'll see whether or not there was a problem that needed fixing. Maybe the topic could be discussed over a beer or several in Harrogate? :):laughing:

I too am surprised it lasted so long, tbh I thought it was about the least irritating of the calender threads. If I remember correctly..... am getting a little forgetful..... Mandy recently got permission for one of her calender threads, so why not ask this time?

No, I didn't report this one.

Mandy, I am gutted for you, as I know from first hand experience on what it feels like.

It didn't last this long :) It all depends on who the low life has an axe to grind with? :D Either this person or someone that is just as low had it in for me last year when I was raising money for a children's hospital. They watched my every move and reported each time I done something. I even got reported for advertising something I had permission to advertise, and their complaint upheld, to stop it escalating!

Despite this persons efforts I still managed to raise £1,823, with over £1,000 of that coming directly from Geocachers.

Despite the petty arguments and disagreements on here, Geocachers ARE decent people. Low life's like this don't deserve to be part of this community.

I just hope that whoever you are, that one day you need the help of others on a day to day basis, then I hope you smother in your guilt!!!

:D:laughing::):)B):):)B)

Please could I reiterate that I "personally" asked for the forum thread to closed and it was not closed by anyone from Groundspeak.

I must say I do have respect for Stuey and Tony for there honesty, I know a lot of folks will not agree with my calendar threads, even the ones I do get permission for, but to report me to Groundspeak is low.

I will say now I am almost certain I know who reported me and I will speak to that person on a one to one basis in the near future to see if they will admit it to me, and to ask why they felt the need to do this to me, and I will also say it is a personal vendetta nothing to do with calendars or charities, I just hope the person has the guts to admit they did and explain to me why.

Mandy :laughing:

Hang on! Have I missed something? At the moment there is an auction on eBay for a coin. The proceeds from this sale are to assist a fellow cacher (resident in the US) get her car through what we might consider it's MOT (and other financial hardships). But this is advertised in the Geocoin forum. Where does charity begin?

Edited by dannable

Hang on! Have I missed something? At the moment there is an auction on eBay for a coin. The proceeds from this sale are to assist a fellow cacher (resident in the US) get her car through what we might consider it's MOT (and other financial hardships). But this is advertised in the Geocoin forum. Where does charity begin?

OK I am skint, Daniel needs a new uniform and shoes in September to go back to school with...so I beg a few coins and sell them on Ebay to raise some money, and advertise on these forums they are for sale and get no complaints.

Or I spend a fortune on stuff to make calendars with, spend hours and hours designing and printing them and binding them together, posting them out ect and send loads of emails to try to sell them, for a well known UK charity and get reported. :rolleyes:

It seems to me if you try hard, work hard and strive to accomplish something worth while then your punished for it.

It hardly seems fair does it?

M :blink:

No Mandy, it doesn't.

Obviously the person who did this to you must be a regular reader of this forum so I'm surprised (?) that they haven't written here to explain to us the rationale behind their action.

No Mandy I agree it doesn't seem fair when you spend so many hours of your time putting these calendars together.

I am looking forward to picking up the calendars I've ordered and meeting you face to face!!! :rolleyes::blink::antenna:

Keep up the good work.

No Mandy, it doesn't.

Obviously the person who did this to you must be a regular reader of this forum so I'm surprised (?) that they haven't written here to explain to us the rationale behind their action.

It will be a month of Sunday's before the coward comes forward. I have never found out who had it in for me.

Go on, whoever you are, prove me wrong! :rolleyes:

I too am looking forward to getting my Calendar and not meeting Mandy. I see a lot of charity threads pretty harmless. I would say though if there is a rule abotu not having them (which there is) then thsi would need to be inforced equally throughout the whole forum.

I simply think now that the UK forum is now closely monitered and anything and everything is scrutinised.

I simply think now that the UK forum is now closely monitered and anything and everything is scrutinised.

I think it's far more likely that the difference between Mandy's thread and the "eBay coin" thread, is simply that nobody had reported the other one. The moderators, super-moderators, and lackeys don't have time to read all the threads in any forum. Even the most intensive forum users find it hard going sometimes. :rolleyes:

Mandy 1 Low-Life Coward 0

Don't worry about it M, they've all sold in record time, and the vast majority of us support your work.

No doubt the Low-Life Coward will be enjoying this thread just as much as reporting you to GSP.

These types are usually under acheivers with low self-esteem, who act in this manner to gain some form

of self gratification.

Mandy : Keep printing :rolleyes:

Low-Life : Keep preforming acts of self gratification :blink:

All very interesting............

Lots of name calling and none of it helpful, whoever they are (remember Mandy said twice reported) has no chance of responding without being ripped to shreds having already been prejudged!

Take a step back and think :rolleyes:

If they acted in the best interests of all UK Geocachers by reporting Mandy then I don't see why they stand any risk of being "ripped to shreds". They should come here with their head held high.

If on the other hand................................................! :blink:

Mandy 1 Low-Life Coward 0

Don't worry about it M, they've all sold in record time, and the vast majority of us support your work.

No doubt the Low-Life Coward will be enjoying this thread just as much as reporting you to GSP.

These types are usually under acheivers with low self-esteem, who act in this manner to gain some form

of self gratification.

Mandy : Keep printing :rolleyes:

Low-Life : Keep preforming acts of self gratification :blink:

Peter, think that sums what the reaction would be?

mongoose, that is the reaction this person has received because they don't have a valid reason for reporting Mandy, and they are not acting in the best interests of UK geocachers!

Mandy is working hard to do good things for people in need. This does no harm to the geocaching community at all. I find it deplorable that someone would try to undermine that good work by complaining about it. The word "jobsworth" comes to mind.

mongoose, that is the reaction this person has received because they don't have a valid reason for reporting Mandy, and they are not acting in the best interests of UK geocachers!

Mandy is working hard to do good things for people in need. This does no harm to the geocaching community at all. I find it deplorable that someone would try to undermine that good work by complaining about it. The word "jobsworth" comes to mind.

Is it, are you sure, can you see inside their heads and read their thoughts?

I don't have to reach into this person's head and read their thoughts. Their actions speak for themselves. :rolleyes:

And you have missed my point completely. So here it is again: There is no harm in what Mandy is doing.

No She can't, and neither can you!!!

If they had a valid reason, they would have said it here.

GSP is quick to act on one complaint, and disregard the wishes of many :rolleyes:

GSP is quick to act on one complaint, and disregard the wishes of many :rolleyes:

Two complaints the way I read it.

None of this is helpful or of use to the UK community.

Two complaints the way I read it.

None of this is helpful or of use to the UK community.

You're just boring me now..................end of debate.

Just because someone makes a complaint (or two or three or three thousand four hundred thirty two), that does not mean that it is valid.

Are you saying that cancer research is neither helpful nor of use to the UK community? Even if you meant the geocaching community, that's still ridiculous.

If you mean that none of this debate is helpful nor of use to the UK (or geocaching) community, then there is no point to these forums, if we should not debate or express our opinions in it.

Are you saying that cancer research is neither helpful nor of use to the UK community?

snip

No I am trying to say there is more than one point of view.

As for cancer research being valid, in the next room is my mother who is in the terminal stages of a cancer she has been fighting for the last three years. So yes I do believe cancer research is valuable and many other charities for that matter.

As to whether I believe they are appropriate in here is a quite different matter. :rolleyes:

However what I am trying to say is the one, two or however many complained don't stand a chance of explaining their actions in the current enviroment.

I would like to thank everyone for their phone calls emails and other messages of support I really do appreciate them, :rolleyes: I would like to thank 4 of the regional forums who have said I can advertise on their pages for their help too. :blink:

I understand what you are all trying to do here, but to be honest it is going to be another never ending circle, no one really knows what has happened including myself. :blink:

I have emailed the person I thought reported me and the person denied it.

All I know for certain is I was reported direct to a Global Mod, who passed the report on to a lackey who I communicated with and the lackey decided to leave the thread as it was, someone (maybe the same person maybe someone else) was not happy that the thread had been left open and reported me again to another lackey.

I was never told to close my thread I chose to do that myself, so as to cause no conflict with Groundspeak.

What I personally dont like is the fact that whoever reported me went out of our community, shouldn't we keep our problems to ourselves and sort them out ourselves, without having to stoop so low as reporting me direct to Groundspeak, also the fact that it seems one rule for the UK forums and the other forums have a free run annoys me. :D

What I can honestly say is I have no shame or guilt I was doing nothing wrong, unless helping people is now

wrong, I can hold my head high, I wonder if other in here can do the same. :antenna:

Mandy B)