What's up with ppl adding their own stuff to a TB?

pafarmboy

Over the past several months, I have found several TBs that have other people's crap attached to the metal chain. "Travel bug group tours", "Travel bug pipeline" Even personal tags with their caching name. I think this is tacky and rude unless they have permission from the owner. Thoughts?

Over the past several months, I have found several TBs that have other people's crap attached to the metal chain. "Travel bug group tours", "Travel bug pipeline" Even personal tags with their caching name. I think this is tacky and rude unless they have permission from the owner. Thoughts?

Yes, it is tacky, unless the TB's goal is to have things attached (I found one such as that once). I suggest you send a message to the TB owner asking what they would like you to do (yank all the junk off, or leave it).

Without permission from the owner, it is tacky and rude. If you find one, and are concerned about it, you can shoot the owner an email and ask them what they want on the chain, and if they want anything removed from it. But that might require holding the TB until you receive an answer. Check the owner's profile, and see how active they still are. Some owners have gone dormant.

There is a Geocacher in my part of the state that does this. It seems that most of the TB's I find have his tag in them. My son and I found an action figure that had no chain. The TB tag was attached to the figure's leg using a zip tie so this guy used a zip to attach his "Travel Bug Group Tour" tag to the other leg. That didn't seem right to me. I didn't remove it because I have only been Geocaching for a few weeks and I didn't know what the common practices were for this kind of thing. I guess I still don't.

If anyone is looking for opinions on this I would say that I will never attach something to a TB unless it is requested in the TB's goal. Assuming that thousands of TB owners want your tag on their TB seems a bit selfish. At the same time I won't remove anyone's items unless I contact the TB's owner to get permission.

If anyone is looking for opinions on this I would say that I will never attach something to a TB unless it is requested in the TB's goal. Assuming that thousands of TB owners want your tag on their TB seems a bit selfish. At the same time I won't remove anyone's items unless I contact the TB's owner to get permission.

ayep.

There is a Geocacher in my part of the state that does this. It seems that most of the TB's I find have his tag in them. My son and I found an action figure that had no chain. The TB tag was attached to the figure's leg using a zip tie so this guy used a zip to attach his "Travel Bug Group Tour" tag to the other leg. That didn't seem right to me. I didn't remove it because I have only been Geocaching for a few weeks and I didn't know what the common practices were for this kind of thing. I guess I still don't.

While we agree that a travel bug should be altered in anyway without the owners permission (except perhaps replacing the old damaged enclosing Ziplock bag) we personally have no problem with it and have so indicated in our travel bug descriptions. Therefore, in our case, it would be WITH owner permission.

Our suggestion for travel bug tour operators would be to include with the written log and/or attached photos (next to, but not attached to the travel bug) the information about their travel bug tour operation, but do NOT attache such items to the travel bug itself without owner permission.

Good luck in your geocaching endeavors!

Knight-Errant

A few months ago I picked up a TB which was in a ziplock bag along with a loose scrap of paper indicating its goal. I emailed the bug owner and asked if he would like me to make a laminated tag and attach it to the TB in place of the loose scrap of paper. I never got a reply, so figuring that he didn't care, I went ahead and did it. Not really permission, but if he had said no, I wouldn't have done it.