Cache placed in a "USED" septic tank

If you are reading this for the 1st time please refer to the original thread: Part One

A new question arose... Is this an outhouse?

You see, the cache owner feels strongly that it is not. This is what he posted on the cache that is now archived.

There is no and was no sewage in the cache vicinity. All evidence shows this to have been an old burn barrel with a toilet seat added on top which provides excellent camo for the cache. People have confused the burned pieces of board and ash with rotting feces. It's strange the power of suggestion. Call it an out house and suddenly in people's minds, that's the truth, and I've made a totally disgusting cache. No, the joke's on them, because this never was an outhouse. It just goes to show, some people can't take a joke! (and that has ruined this cache. Thanks so much for playing along.).. Are you happy now?

Not that I have any vast knowledge of the industry, but I think the ALL the EVIDENCE as [cache owner stated] actually points in the direction that this is indeed an OUTHOUSE.

Fist of all lets look at the picture, what you can clearly see is the remains of the walls and an entrance. Next is the fact that the barrel was lowered into the "pit" at about seat height, why go to all that work? Now lets take a closer look at the barrel, all the paint still remains? How could this be if this is a "burn barrel"? Finally why would you burn anything below ground without a fresh air source?

I don't see any evidence that it's a "Burn barrel"

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture004-3.jpg

I'm no outhouse expert, but I've used a number of outhouses in my life, I actually own a vacation cabin that has one, and as part of my archeology hobby I've excavated several old outhouses.

I can tell you that every outhouse that I've seen involved a pit dug in the ground, rather than a barrel above the ground. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never encountered one

Where's Sept1c Tank when you really need him?

I vote for a temporary lifting of the lifetime ban on Sept1c tank, to comment on this subject. Oh, I dunno, I believe that probably is a barrel on top of the remains of an outhouse. Why is that one piece of wood (which I believe the cache is attached to) brown? It's brown, right?

I searched for that cache, and my DNF was deleted twice.

It sure looked like an outhouse to me.

It has a big pit under it.

I don't think it could be used as a burn barrel without catching everything on fire.

The structure under it was made of wood.

Interesting that the owner is now trying to defend the placement...after it's been archived.

I had no problem with the cache. I just refused to search in there.

Bulldograce Jul 15 2008, 11:21 AM Post #12

Premium Member

Group: Premium Members

( Yes, walk away is right!

The person whom placed this cache is a strange character. Most of his hides have some sort of twist or humor involved.... To be honest I thought this was a play on words. Not this time...LOL

Funning aside, this hide (to me) is disappointing. I just don't see the "fun" in this.

Cache: GC1CQ1H )

Let's not judge a persons character, let's keep the opinions on the cache. Have you ever met the guy? You say most of his hides? Let's just say a few. It just upsetting that anyone would get personal. Leave those comments to yourself and don't judge people. Have you ever heard, "if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all, especially about ones character?

I was one who made a find. No big deal, if you find it offensive, just walk away. SIMPLE...There were 11 others that did not find it offensive. Let it be. Judge for yourself when you visit the site, and there might be 2 in this forum that has. This house is a block away from new homes. This area is patrolled and there is no one living in it. Kids have punched holes and ripped down insulation. This house has been abandoned for many, many years. This lot is owned by a developer that has halted construction of homes in the area because of the housing market. One more thing, the stick you talking about, it's not a very long stick. If I remember it did not reach anywhere close to the bottom, and if it did it would have been lost. This stick was probably as long as the barrel is tall, and you did not have to reach in to grab it.

It just makes me sick to hear someone judge other people.

This house is a block away from new homes. This area is patrolled and there is no one living in it. Kids have punched holes and ripped down insulation. This house has been abandoned for many, many years. This lot is owned by a developer that has halted construction of homes in the area because of the housing market. .

The cache really does not look that bad, even if it is a used septic tank. The part that disturbs me is that it appears to be on private property without permission in an area that is vandalized frequently.... :D:D

This house is a block away from new homes. This area is patrolled and there is no one living in it. Kids have punched holes and ripped down insulation. This house has been abandoned for many, many years. This lot is owned by a developer that has halted construction of homes in the area because of the housing market. .

The cache really does not look that bad, even if it is a used septic tank. The part that disturbs me is that it appears to be on private property without permission in an area that is vandalized frequently.... :D:D

Exactly! Me too. From the post above yours (which is definitely strange, as it's cut and pasted from the "see the forum posts by this user" link on someone's profile):

This lot is owned by a developer that has halted construction of homes in the area because of the housing market.

I'm shocked someone could make that statement so matter of factly, and think it's OK to cache there. Um, that would be someones private property, wouldn't it?

and as part of my archeology hobby I've excavated several old outhouses.

Why on earth would you do this? What are you looking for? :laughing:

Not to get too far OT, but old outhouses are goldmines for artifacts. Things get dropped in there and I guess the dropper takes a look inside and says "Forget it, I'm not going in there". We've found 200 year old wine bottles, porcelain doll parts, a 300 year old clay pipe and of course numerous chamber pots (that were used for night time relief, then dumped in the morning).

The organic material is long gone by the time we dig there, though at one excavation I was down about 8 feet and started finding clumps of berry seeds. At first I said "I wonder what these berry seeds are doing all the way down here, all piled together like this?" Then I said "oh". After 200+ years in the ground all that was left was the seeds. Interesting.

Now back on topic...

It sure looked like an outhouse to me.

It has a big pit under it.

I think that tips the scale towards it being an outhouse.

Edited by briansnat

I'll still go with the word of the cache owner and those that found (and enjoyed) this cache.

In the words of a wise man: Stuff like this is what the ignore list is for.

Besides, since the cache owner archived the cache, why are people still going on about it. Isn't that what you wanted? You should go out and celebrate your successes, not continue to create more threads about this.

The cache really does not look that bad, even if it is a used septic tank. The part that disturbs me is that it appears to be on private property without permission in an area that is vandalized frequently.... :laughing::)

Exactly! Me too. From the post above yours (which is definitely strange, as it's cut and pasted from the "see the forum posts by this user" link on someone's profile):

This lot is owned by a developer that has halted construction of homes in the area because of the housing market.

I'm shocked someone could make that statement so matter of factly, and think it's OK to cache there. Um, that would be someones private property, wouldn't it?

The area where the offending cache was placed is a bit of a geocaching oddity. I've found caches there twice. Both times I found that they get away with some egregrious guidline violations. A good portion of the caches there are practically advertisements for nearby establishments.

Double-Double "Z"

el top "IHC"

The New Home of the Seattle Freeze

Cheap Date Ideas

Altoids and a movie

Many of the caches in that area are clearly placed on private property. I actually got into a "dust-up" with the placer of the "Outhouse cache" when I tried to find his cache Event Horizon. This cache is placed on a commercial building, in between a few no trespassing signs. You have to mess with the electrical panel to find the cache. I was told it was hidden between the building, and the exterior mounted panel. While looking for the cache, I was confronted by workers at the mechanic shop 30 feet away. The cache owner threatened to delete my log unless I removed the reference to private property. :) I sent a private email to a reviewer, and they advise me to put the cache on my ignore list. :)

Trash is a favorite camouflage method in that area. When looking for a cache, be sure to check in, around, and underneath the trash. The worst part about the example caches is that all the newer cachers learn that it is acceptable to violate guidlines when placing caches.

Edited by Kit Fox
Let's not judge a persons character, let's keep the opinions on the cache. Have you ever met the guy? You say most of his hides? Let's just say a few. It just upsetting that anyone would get personal. Leave those comments to yourself and don't judge people. Have you ever heard, "if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all, especially about ones character?

Hold on there... Slow down....

I'm not judging anyone. I have yet to get personal. If by my terminology "strange character" you or anyone felt that this was uncalled for. I sir, than apologize. This at the very most was a bad choice of words.

So how about an "eccentric character"? That's a little better said. Regardless this was in no way was a feeble attack at ones character or persona.

If you note just after the strange character remark I said

Most of his hides have some sort of twist or humor involved
This was showing creditability FOR the cache owner.

"bigdaddygrc"

I haven't attacked KG6EAR. I went to the forums and asked questions. In addition I have yet to post anything to the cache page.

It just makes me sick to hear someone judge other people.

Sir, you have taken this totally out of context.

One more thing, the stick you talking about, it's not a very long stick. If I remember it did not reach anywhere close to the bottom, and if it did it would have been lost

This is incorrect. The stick was/is resting on the bottom of the pit in the.....well will just call it debris.

Having not been to the location myself I really don't know if it is a make-shift outhouse. Looking at the pictures and using the power of the interweb I can assume that it could be used as such. Either way, if I found myself looking for a cache and thought that it might be hidden in the human waste of strangers I would leave the cache where it was, put it on my ignore list, and walk away.

I have examined the pictures and read the posts and cache description.

A lot of people say burn barrel when describing a steel drum.

The pictures don't show how this is on the ground very well. Is it in a square or round hole? with a pit underneath? It has been described as "a concrete septic tank with a 30 gal drum built in. Even has a toilet seat!" but some experience with those nasty tanks I can not fathom why one would be built in such a manor. I also don't see a toilet seat in the picture, I see two boards and if the drum is 30 gallon the I also see very little room for making sure excrement goes where it is supposedly intended.

Usually when a steel drum is used in an outhouse it is cut in half and when it is about 25% full it is pulled out the backside and either dumped in a pit or

more commonly it had diesel fuel pored in and burnt. I would need more pictures to figure out what exactly it is but right now I am inclined to believe that it is just simple obfuscation on the part of the cache owner.

Should people stop placing caches in fake turds because somebody might think they are real?

I have examined the pictures and read the posts and cache description.

A lot of people say burn barrel when describing a steel drum.

The pictures don't show how this is on the ground very well. Is it in a square or round hole? with a pit underneath? It has been described as "a concrete septic tank with a 30 gal drum built in. Even has a toilet seat!" but some experience with those nasty tanks I can not fathom why one would be built in such a manor....

Expedience. Got concrete, got a barrel. Viola a quick outhouse. That area looks like wood isn't exactly growing on trees.

That said I think this is more of a remnant. The outside parts that would keep the sun off locations that don't see a log of sun are long gone. Regardless of the materials most folks would enclose the business part of the outhouse.

When I was a kid working in ANWR we used barrles underneath regular seats. No pit. One of my jobs was to burn the contents of the barrel every so often.

It's not a burn barrel.

I'm no outhouse expert, but I've used a number of outhouses in my life, I actually own a vacation cabin that has one, and as part of my archeology hobby I've excavated several old outhouses.

I can tell you that every outhouse that I've seen involved a pit dug in the ground, rather than a barrel above the ground. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never encountered one

The outhouses we used in the Gulf War were nothing more than 55 gallon drums cut in half and placed under your seating area. The drums were removed from behind where the less fortunate ones at base camp filled them with diesel fuel to burn off the waste.

That being said, like another mentioned, the paint would be gone if it was a burning barrel for waste.

Hey...

I was at Home Depot yesterday getting some supplies to work on my "honey-do" list. Well as it turned out, half way through my procurements I needed to use the facilities. So I'm sitting there thinking about things that one would normally think about while in the "rest room" and my 60CSx beeps at me. I had a free moment so I pulled it out of my pocket to see what the fuss was about, it told I had lost reception. Well duh, I was in a steel building, then it happened to re-acquire several satellites and had an accuracy of +-50. It was right about this time that little light over ones head turned on, hey I can mark where I poop! I was thinking of going with something like "ThereIGo" but I figured that may cause some problems with the "Wherigo" folks so I'm going with "I Pooped There" I suspect the domain will be IPoopedThere (if available). Please keep in mind when viewing the image that the reported accuracy was +-50 feet. This one was actually in the Home Depot water closet and not next to the building.

poop0001_color.jpg

You may have also noticed that I pooped within walking distance of four traditional and one (2 if you count mine) mystery caches! :D:D:D:D