GeoRush is ON!

911turbos

The British Columbia Geocaching Association, in partnership with BC Parks and the Ministry of the Environment, invites the geocaching community to explore the best place on earth. As part of British Columbia's 150th birthday celebration, geocaches have been hidden in provincial parks across BC.

BC Parks sponsors this event by providing the containers, prizes and swag. Prizes include rare collector BC Parks coins for the first, third and fifth finders.

BCGA members across the province have been selected to hide geocaches during the last week of July. After that, the rush is on.

Join us for this historic celebration. GeoRush caches can be found from sea to sky, from peak to creek, and everywhere in between. Find one, find ten or a hundred. The rush begins now.

A list of GeoRush caches can be found HERE

I would like to thank the present and past executive of the BCGA for all the hard work they have done. They have had many talks with BC Parks and now the pay off is here. We can cache in Parks and BC Parks is sponsoring caches. Now how great is that. I feel I live in the Best Place on Earth.

On July 24th, Minister of Environment Berry Penner officially kicked off Georush 2008 -- a BCGA / BC Parks project consisting of 100 geocaches hidden in 100 provincial parks. This is part of British Columbia's 150th Birthday celebrations. During his speech, Minister Penner welcomed geocaching in British Columbia's provincial parks.

BC Parks sponsors this event by providing the containers, prizes and swag. Inside each geocache there is BC related swag and commemorative coins for the first, third and fifth finders. The BCGA's contribution includes a carabiner and a card worth a 1 in 10 chance to win a BCGA 2008 trackable geocoin. All coins will rare collectors items.

The announcement took place in Gowlland Tod provincial park at a "secret" event cache. Curious geocachers from near and far attended the event unknowing exactly what was to take place. BCGA executives and Park Rangers were there to take part. Representatives from BC Parks handed out frisbees, buttons, hats and pins.

BCGA members were selected to hide GeoRush geocaches yet keep these hides a secret. The BCGA volunteers own the caches and were given a commemorative coin for their efforts. Groundspeak published the first 50 geocaches on the 24th. All GeoRush caches should be published within the week.

Media coverage has been extensive. A Channel, CHEK TV, News 11.30 Radio (Vancouver), Global TV and BCTV have all picked up the story. News of hidden commemorative coins have reached blogs and forums across British Columbia. The BCGA website's traffic doubled within 24 hours and 45 new people registered a handle with the BCGA website between July 24th and July 26th. Eager muggles wanting to learn more about the "hidden coins" caused the phone lines to crash at BC Parks headquarters after the news was released.

This project is a result of four years of talks between the BCGA and BC Parks. Over that time, the BCGA and BC Parks have developed a strong relationship. Communication has always been open and positive. While other park boards across the country felt the need to restrict or ban geocaching, BC parks staff have been actively researching the sport. It was with full knowledge of geocaching that BC Parks developed the first positive geocaching policy in Canada. The BCGA is thankful that we were able to meet with a progressive administration willing to listen to the geocaching community's concerns.

There was relief and joy when BC Parks released their geocaching policy but it was a pleasant surprise to learn BC Parks were very willing to sponsor geocaches in their parks. This is another first for Canada. But it is only the tip of the iceberg. The BCGA is excited to learn that there may be more partnership projects and look forward to working with BC Parks in the future.

On July 24th, Minister of Environment Berry Penner officially kicked off Georush 2008 -- a BCGA / BC Parks project consisting of 100 geocaches hidden in 100 provincial parks. This is part of British Columbia's 150th Birthday celebrations. During his speech, Minister Penner welcomed geocaching in British Columbia's provincial parks.

BC Parks sponsors this event by providing the containers, prizes and swag. Inside each geocache there is BC related swag and commemorative coins for the first, third and fifth finders. The BCGA's contribution includes a carabiner and a card worth a 1 in 10 chance to win a BCGA 2008 trackable geocoin. All coins will rare collectors items.

The announcement took place in Gowlland Tod provincial park at a "secret" event cache. Curious geocachers from near and far attended the event unknowing exactly what was to take place. BCGA executives and Park Rangers were there to take part. Representatives from BC Parks handed out frisbees, buttons, hats and pins.

BCGA members were selected to hide GeoRush geocaches yet keep these hides a secret. The BCGA volunteers own the caches and were given a commemorative coin for their efforts. Groundspeak published the first 50 geocaches on the 24th. All GeoRush caches should be published within the week.

Media coverage has been extensive. A Channel, CHEK TV, News 11.30 Radio (Vancouver), Global TV and BCTV have all picked up the story. News of hidden commemorative coins have reached blogs and forums across British Columbia. The BCGA website's traffic doubled within 24 hours and 45 new people registered a handle with the BCGA website between July 24th and July 26th. Eager muggles wanting to learn more about the "hidden coins" caused the phone lines to crash at BC Parks headquarters after the news was released.

This project is a result of four years of talks between the BCGA and BC Parks. Over that time, the BCGA and BC Parks have developed a strong relationship. Communication has always been open and positive. While other park boards across the country felt the need to restrict or ban geocaching, BC parks staff have been actively researching the sport. It was with full knowledge of geocaching that BC Parks developed the first positive geocaching policy in Canada. The BCGA is thankful that we were able to meet with a progressive administration willing to listen to the geocaching community's concerns.

There was relief and joy when BC Parks released their geocaching policy but it was a pleasant surprise to learn BC Parks were very willing to sponsor geocaches in their parks. This is another first for Canada. But it is only the tip of the iceberg. The BCGA is excited to learn that there may be more partnership projects and look forward to working with BC Parks in the future.

What an excellent post and so nice to hear that you've had great success with your provincial parks. Hopefully this will also spread across the country. Some provinces are still restrictive about geocaching or even unable to move forward at this time but your success is certainly inspiring.

Well done BC!!

applause.jpg

:( BQ

Thanks for the kind words, The Blue Quasar.

The current BCGA administration may be reaping the rewards but the status of geocaching in BC today is due in a large part to the hard work of people before us. To set the record straight we should give credit where credit is due.

Mr. Gigabyte got the ball rolling in 2004, taking BC Parks staff geocaching. Doc Magoo and Chillibusher continued communications. For the last two years, Landsharkz has been the liason and can be credited with GeoRush. If I've forgotten anyone, please forgive me.

We really have to give a lot of credit to BC Parks. At a time when Parks Canada and Ontario Parks banned geocaching, they could have taken the easy road and followed suit. Instead, BC Parks staff truly went above and beyond the call of duty, educating themselves on everything there is to know about geocaching. They examined existing geocaches in their parks and saw geocaching for what it really is. By the time BC Parks met with the current BCGA administration, they knew pretty much everything we knew. The resulting BC Parks policy is definitely something other park boards should study.

It's my hope that this will open the door for other provinces. If we just have to get rid of the misconceptions that come out of ignorance, we will all be better off.

All geocaching societies are working for the same cause. So if what happened in BC gets Ontario Parks to take notice, all the better.

One thing I do know. As the BCGA director chiefly in charge of communication, I've received numerous emails from as far away as Australia and Europe asking about "Geocaching Friendly British Columbia." Geocaching based tourism may be in its infacy but Ontario could loose out on this market if it gets a reputation of a geocaching unfriendly place. We hard core geocachers know that we book hotels or campgrounds near geocaching hotspots. As more and more people get involved in Geocaching it can only benefit tourism starved areas to promote geocaching instead of banning it.

One thing I do know. As the BCGA director chiefly in charge of communication, I've received numerous emails from as far away as Australia and Europe asking about "Geocaching Friendly British Columbia." Geocaching based tourism may be in its infacy but Ontario could loose out on this market if it gets a reputation of a geocaching unfriendly place. We hard core geocachers know that we book hotels or campgrounds near geocaching hotspots. As more and more people get involved in Geocaching it can only benefit tourism starved areas to promote geocaching instead of banning it.

Absolutely.

WOW! Congratulations BCGA! I just wish all of australia would followed this examplepolicy ( I have had the pleasure of meeting a few of your members and winter time visits to your parks . )

Not real sure who to ask - I wonder if it wouldn't be a great idea to further support this grassroots non commercial project with a special icon for the Georush sponsored caches like the one given to the A.P.E. caches.

That would be such a nice 'freebie' momento for finders long after all the geocoins are gone and nice thankyou from GC for supporting the game in such a big way.

ps yes it does support tourism - we extended 2 'skiing' visits to BC specifically so I could cram in some caching!

Edited by forthferalz