Starting an Under water cache?

zoobum

I hid an underwater cache (where you only have to barely dunk your head under to get the container). I have a concrete "boat" constructed on an angle. The concrete was formed around a sterilite bucket. Under the up-turned concreted bucket is another bucket. This smaller bucket has a strap around the middle so the lid will stay on. The small bucket is attached to the rope that tethers it to the "boat". Also attached to the bucket rope is a concrete anchor (formed in that shape for fun) so that when you take the dry bag out of the bucket, the bucket doesn't float completely to the surface for others to see, but it's visible enough so that you to find the cache all over again. The dry bag is clipped via carabeaner to the rope that holds the bucket. Inside the dry bag are the cache contents. The vellum log is double-wrapped in two large zip locks, and you have to sign the vellum with a sharpie (so that if it gets wet it won't get ruined). I've included lots of extra baggies in the container both to protect the swag (which nobody seems to take) as well as any travel bugs or coins that should be entombed within. There aren't many "takers" on the underwater cache as it's in a field of greenery (but not swamp). But it's a hoot to read the logs that do come in.

Edited by meralgia

I have an underwater cache that is in less than 3 feet of water. (This next statement may be a spoiler for the next seekers) It is an underwater video camera case, complete with o-ring, that I have had down to 100 feet on a dive, with no leaks. As you can see by the logs, the cache got wet! :D

Whatever you design, make sure that the contents are double protected or that the log book is designed to be written on when it is wet. Next trip out to Fishy View , I am taking a new log, contained within a preform. :D

Edited by Team Magic

I hid an underwater cache (where you only have to barely dunk your head under to get the container). I have a concrete "boat" constructed on an angle. The concrete was formed around a sterilite bucket. Under the up-turned concreted bucket is another bucket. This smaller bucket has a strap around the middle so the lid will stay on. The small bucket is attached to the rope that tethers it to the "boat". Also attached to the bucket rope is a concrete anchor (formed in that shape for fun) so that when you take the dry bag out of the bucket, the bucket doesn't float completely to the surface for others to see, but it's visible enough so that you to find the cache all over again. The dry bag is clipped via carabeaner to the rope that holds the bucket. Inside the dry bag are the cache contents. The vellum log is double-wrapped in two large zip locks, and you have to sign the vellum with a sharpie (so that if it gets wet it won't get ruined). I've included lots of extra baggies in the container both to protect the swag (which nobody seems to take) as well as any travel bugs or coins that should be entombed within. There aren't many "takers" on the underwater cache as it's in a field of greenery (but not swamp). But it's a hoot to read the logs that do come in.

Shrinky Dinks

Only fairly new to caching, but this archived cache may be of interest. It's called AE2 (GCBD87), and is a submarine cache placed by Tangles, in western Sydney, Australia. The first wpt is a remote control, with which you send the 'submarine' to the surface for caching duties, after which you send it back down for the next person to find. A pity it is no longer in use, sounds very clever indeed!

You'd have to do a search but I've seen folks post some pretty good ideas on the underwater caches.

One thing to note however is the human interaction is where you will most likely see the failure of your cache and where it will get wet. You have to try to fool proof as much as possible getting the contents back in the container without getting it caught in the seal, handling the contents with wet hands, or sitting over the contents while water drips from their hair into the cache. It's stuff like that you have to watch out for even if you built the perfect container.

Another option is to make it a multi with the cache on dry ground and the coords pointing to the cache under water. That way you don't have to worry about keeping the logs and contents dry.

GRIN Shrink Dinks GRIN

That's essentially what we've done with this cache. Except our take was, we put stage #1 on land so the cacher doesn't know what he's in for until arrival at GZ. It has gone over generally well with most folks. I am certain there are a few unlisted DNFs from the crowd not willing to have fun or take even the slightest risk. Wimps.

You'd have to do a search but I've seen folks post some pretty good ideas on the underwater caches.

One thing to note however is the human interaction is where you will most likely see the failure of your cache and where it will get wet. You have to try to fool proof as much as possible getting the contents back in the container without getting it caught in the seal, handling the contents with wet hands, or sitting over the contents while water drips from their hair into the cache. It's stuff like that you have to watch out for even if you built the perfect container.

very true and good thinking with the dripping hands and all

thanks to all for good ideas

Another option is to make it a multi with the cache on dry ground and the coords pointing to the cache under water. That way you don't have to worry about keeping the logs and contents dry.

GRIN Shrink Dinks GRIN

That's essentially what we've done with this cache. Except our take was, we put stage #1 on land so the cacher doesn't know what he's in for until arrival at GZ. It has gone over generally well with most folks. I am certain there are a few unlisted DNFs from the crowd not willing to have fun or take even the slightest risk. Wimps.

yeah, i want to make it a little challenging with the underwater cache for folks that will attempt...and i also know that there are a lot of wusses out there but that is fine!!!

I found an underwater one today: GCZFKX. The white cap floats. Unscrew it and take the blue part out. Now in this cache, there was a plastic dish scrubber as described in it. But I think you could easily place a sealable container in the blue portion and keep a drier environment. The only disadvantage for this one was that it was BEYOND slimy. I think it should be taken out every few months and allowed to completely dry to keep the slime from accumulating.