One Reviewer in Texas?

TexTiger

I've placed a couple of caches that took about 4 days to get approved. When I discussed this with others in the Texas geocaching community they said that there is only 1 reviewer for the entire state of Texas. I was wondering if anyone know why this is, considering we are such a big state with many diverse types of terrain and hiding places? I would also wager we as a state put out many caches a week that would be a little tough for only 1 person to review/publish in a timely manner.

I'm not questioning the job they are doing, I'm just wondering why such a big area only has 1 reviewer. I'm sure there are people out there that would be more than willing to lend a hand on being a reviewer.

Maybe she has a lot of time on her hands to Review. Four days or less for publication sounds VERY reasonable to me.

I've placed a couple of caches that took about 4 days to get approved. When I discussed this with others in the Texas geocaching community they said that there is only 1 reviewer for the entire state of Texas. I was wondering if anyone know why this is, considering we are such a big state with many diverse types of terrain and hiding places? I would also wager we as a state put out many caches a week that would be a little tough for only 1 person to review/publish in a timely manner.

That's not quite accurate.

You've submitted 3 caches:

• "All the World's a Cache", submitted on 4/6/2007, reviewed and published on 4/6/2007 (0 days)
  • "Hello Dollye!", submitted on 4/26/2008, reviewed and published on 4/26/2008 (0 days)
  • "Stranded at the Drive in" submitted on 7/13/2008, reviewed and published on 7/16/2008 (3 days)

So, on average, your caches have been reviewed and published in 1 day.

Unless there are circumstances beyond my control, your cache will be reviewed (which does not mean "published") within 3 days, and I try to have the queue completely cleared on Friday, so everyone's cache is ready for the weekend. The site's recent update (and subsequent outage) falls into that category of circumstances beyond my control. The outage meant we couldn't review, and the site change meant that many of the tools we use to speed up the review process had to be updated as well (a process still on-going). So, this week, there will probably be a few caches that won't hit the 3-day mark. Life's like that sometimes.

In the UK we have only one reviewer for the ENTIRE COUNTRY !

That said he does do a great job under great pressure given that we had another 2 brilliant reviewers a year ago who were forced to resign over organizational issues.

:rolleyes:

:o Not trying to sound like a doubting thomas, but I know several top GeoCachers who have tried to voleenter as a reviewer for Texas but where shot down and basicly told " nope we don't need any more reviewers in Texas." Pity to put so much on one person, who can not know all the areas in Texas like those who have cached it. Seems to me that breaking up into smaller regions in Texas would help the reviewer's workload. :D but what do I know I've only found a few in comparison to the other Geocachers in my area.

In the UK we have only one reviewer for the ENTIRE COUNTRY !

That said he does do a great job under great pressure given that we had another 2 brilliant reviewers a year ago who were forced to resign over organizational issues.

:D

Hmm, well....

Total current caches

Texas - 25,653

UK - 31,333

Size (sq km)

Texas - 700,000

UK 244,820

Population

Texas - 23,507,783

UK - 60,776,238

We previously had 2 reviewers for our state...I suppose when our current reviewer feels he needs help or TPTB think that the queue isn't being cleared quickly enough, we'll get another one.

:o Not trying to sound like a doubting thomas, but I know several top GeoCachers who have tried to voleenter as a reviewer for Texas but where shot down and basicly told " nope we don't need any more reviewers in Texas." Pity to put so much on one person, who can not know all the areas in Texas like those who have cached it. Seems to me that breaking up into smaller regions in Texas would help the reviewer's workload. :D but what do I know I've only found a few in comparison to the other Geocachers in my area.

Yep, getting new reviewers doesn't work on who volunteers for the job.

From the FAQ:

How do I become a volunteer cache reviewer?

:lol: Not trying to sound like a doubting thomas, but I know several top GeoCachers who have tried to voleenter as a reviewer for Texas but where shot down and basicly told " nope we don't need any more reviewers in Texas." Pity to put so much on one person, who can not know all the areas in Texas like those who have cached it. Seems to me that breaking up into smaller regions in Texas would help the reviewer's workload. :) but what do I know I've only found a few in comparison to the other Geocachers in my area.

Why is intimate local knowledge so important in order to review submitted cache listings? :huh:

Other than "all local laws apply" there aren't any regional or even state wide differences in the guidelines. As long as the reviewer knows where caches are and are not permitted, and which land use areas may have permits why should it matter that much?

PS-how does one define a 'top geocacher'? :)

:yikes: Not trying to sound like a doubting thomas, but I know several top GeoCachers who have tried to voleenter as a reviewer for Texas but where shot down and basicly told " nope we don't need any more reviewers in Texas." Pity to put so much on one person, who can not know all the areas in Texas like those who have cached it. Seems to me that breaking up into smaller regions in Texas would help the reviewer's workload. :ph34r: but what do I know I've only found a few in comparison to the other Geocachers in my area.

Why is intimate local knowledge so important in order to review submitted cache listings? :mad:

Other than "all local laws apply" there aren't any regional or even state wide differences in the guidelines. As long as the reviewer knows where caches are and are not permitted, and which land use areas may have permits why should it matter that much?

PS-how does one define a 'top geocacher'? :mad:

Just look in the mirror Wimsey

I've placed a couple of caches that took about 4 days to get approved.

That's not quite accurate. :rolleyes:

You've submitted 3 caches B)

So, on average, your caches have been reviewed and published in 1 day. :lol:

I think this deserves a reply by TexTiger, Reviewer has called you out but you have yet to come and explain... :cool:

That's not quite accurate. :)

You've submitted 3 caches :)

So, on average, your caches have been reviewed and published in 1 day. :)

I think this deserves a reply by TexTiger, Reviewer has called you out but you have yet to come and explain... :)

I had not replied because I didn't appreciate the tone with which Prime Reviewer responded, and her information was inaccurate as well. I know how pointless it can be to get into an argument with someone in a position of "authority" on boards such as these, especially since I have been informed by people who have dealt with Groundspeak that it's better not to question their volunteers for risk of retribution.

My question was not intended to start a flame thread, merely to ask why there is only one reviewer in the entire state of Texas, which was not answered. Instead, PR chose to attack my post, and proceed to try to discredit what I said. There's no point in replying to someone who obviously wants to skirt the subject that was broached. Believe me, I could have gone on a rant about it, but decided discretion was the better part of valor.

That's not quite accurate. :(

You've submitted 3 caches :)

So, on average, your caches have been reviewed and published in 1 day. ;)

I think this deserves a reply by TexTiger, Reviewer has called you out but you have yet to come and explain... :D

I had not replied because I didn't appreciate the tone with which Prime Reviewer responded, and her information was inaccurate as well. I know how pointless it can be to get into an argument with someone in a position of "authority" on boards such as these, especially since I have been informed by people who have dealt with Groundspeak that it's better not to question their volunteers for risk of retribution.

My question was not intended to start a flame thread, merely to ask why there is only one reviewer in the entire state of Texas, which was not answered. Instead, PR chose to attack my post, and proceed to try to discredit what I said. There's no point in replying to someone who obviously wants to skirt the subject that was broached. Believe me, I could have gone on a rant about it, but decided discretion was the better part of valor.

Well met.

You're not the only one that has wondered about that question. I know of a few people that have offered but have been shot down. Only TPTB know why that is, and I doubt they'll every say.

I used to be the Texas reviewer and it was a lot of work back when I did it a few years ago, I can't imagine how much work it is now. Probably 10 times as many caches to approve, although you no longer have the h@ll that was the virtual cache and I bet they've greatly improved the tools available to the reviewers.

You have to give major props to PR for approving our caches in a timely manner, but you also have to wonder why not bring on a little help.

You're not the only one that has wondered about that question. I know of a few people that have offered but have been shot down. Only TPTB know why that is, and I doubt they'll every say.

I used to be the Texas reviewer and it was a lot of work back when I did it a few years ago, I can't imagine how much work it is now. Probably 10 times as many caches to approve, although you no longer have the h@ll that was the virtual cache and I bet they've greatly improved the tools available to the reviewers.

You have to give major props to PR for approving our caches in a timely manner, but you also have to wonder why not bring on a little help.

Being a former reviewer, I think you have an insight as to what it takes for a state as large as ours. I would think a reviewer for the North, East, West and South regions of Texas would be beneficial, if for nothing else than to ease the load on the 1 reviewer we have. PR is in the Dallas area I believe, so why not give them North Texas. I know of a couple of people here in the West Texas area that would be willing (and have asked) to be the reviewer for our area, and I'm sure there are people in the South and East parts that would be interested as well.

I don't know why TPTB would shooot someone down who wants to volunteer to help, especially since some states have multiple reviewers, unless it's PR's declining of help that is the reason. The more caches published quickly, the more apt people would be to place I would imagine.

TT

Being a former reviewer, I think you have an insight as to what it takes for a state as large as ours. I would think a reviewer for the North, East, West and South regions of Texas would be beneficial, if for nothing else than to ease the load on the 1 reviewer we have. PR is in the Dallas area I believe, so why not give them North Texas. I know of a couple of people here in the West Texas area that would be willing (and have asked) to be the reviewer for our area, and I'm sure there are people in the South and East parts that would be interested as well.

I don't know why TPTB would shooot someone down who wants to volunteer to help, especially since some states have multiple reviewers, unless it's PR's declining of help that is the reason. The more caches published quickly, the more apt people would be to place I would imagine.

TT

You bring up good questions, unfortunately I don't think they'll ever be answered by TPTB. Tinkling up a rope, as they say. Just keep caching and having fun. I know I generally have no real rush when I submit a cache, and I've submitted a bunch of them. :)