Publishing

Juicepig

And this forum is open for discussion. So when I get this notice,

The following EarthCache submission was sent to the EarthCache team for approval. The approval process may take up to 10 days. If we have any concerns about your submission we will email you. If you wish to contact us, please do so at earthcache@geosociety.org. Thanks

When my emails go unanswered, it shows a pattern. I pay for a premuim membership and if EarthCache society has much more going on, then I highly suggest they set up EC reviewers who are spread out regionally over the world.

I enjoy geocaching just as much as everyone else who places ECs. The people who do the work for EarthCaching is the geocacher walking the woods, river bottoms, deserts, and mountains getting coordinates to place the ECs.

Its very frustrating when you travel miles to place caches only to have them sit idle for days on end. Its also frustrating when a sock puppet accuses someone of not being at the actual EC locations.

Ok, im gonna self edit that one. Now...i am just so sick of you constantly degrading the work that geoaware and others at GSA do for something YOU supposedly love so much. You have no idea what these people do for earthcaching yet you sit by and constantly poopoo everything. Almost every post you make is either to toot your own horn or to disrespect Geoaware. Im gonna say it again...ITS A GAME for you. thats it....no part of your existence depends on ECing. It is a job for other people....and only part of the many things they have to do in a day. and i will ask this...if your days are sooooooooo long...how do you find so much to time to moan and complain and "find" and "create" earthcaches?? Have a little respect and some people might have a little for you. or you can keep posting snarky little posts...and that shows what your character is. and its not the type of character most people want to deal with.

Edited by Cav Scout

Looks like things are sloooooooowing down again. Two submissions, almost 14 days now.

Cavscout...seriously...get over yourself! EC is not the only thing these people do. As a matter of fact...its a small amount of what Geoaware and Anny have to do in a day...they have real jobs..i suggest you get something that better occupies your time too. If all you do is complain, then why do you bother with EC???? Seriously...people...its a game. RELAX.

Looks like you need to relax too. Yeah I know, I'm his brother but so what. All he said is that it is taken longer than it should to get the EarthCaches published. We all have real jobs too but we chose to geocache/EarthCache like they choose to take on the EarthCache part of this game(?) which I call a hobby. Why do you go as far to say,"Get over yourself"? All he is doing is going out and finding places for EarthCaches. If it wasn't for the members taking the time to go out and finding these places for the EarthCaches there wouldn't be much need for EarthCaching on the geocaching site. We can't occupie our time caching?

Edited by joranda

Looks like things are sloooooooowing down again. Two submissions, almost 14 days now.

Cavscout...seriously...get over yourself! EC is not the only thing these people do. As a matter of fact...its a small amount of what Geoaware and Anny have to do in a day...they have real jobs..i suggest you get something that better occupies your time too. If all you do is complain, then why do you bother with EC???? Seriously...people...its a game. RELAX.

Looks like you need to relax too. Yeah I know, I'm his brother but so what. All he said is that it is taken longer than it should to get the EarthCaches published. We all have real jobs too but we chose to geocache/EarthCache like they choose to take on the EarthCache part of this game(?) which I call a hobby. Why do you go as far to say,"Get over yourself"? All he is doing is going out and finding places for EarthCaches. If it wasn't for the members taking the time to go out and finding these places for the EarthCaches there wouldn't be much need for EarthCaching on the geocaching site. We can't occupie our time caching?

oh please, feel free to occupy your time by caching. But all you guys do is complain! He expects everything to be done on his time. well, sorry the world doesnt that work that way, no matter how important you think you are. And geoaware didnt just "take it on" he developed it...took alot of time and effort and heart. and all you can do is demand things be done your way. :laughing: And im so sick of hearing that all the "real" work is done by the creators. yes that is work...but as you keep saying..its a hobby. no one is making you do it. Imagine sitting in front of a computer for hours counting how many EC's there are in how many countries, with how many logs and how many pictures to each cache. They do alot of traveling too, out making money to keep ECing going. So while i admit the cachers are important, please dont continuedly discount the work that people do behind the scenes.

Edited by maggiebelle

oh please, feel free to occupy your time by caching. But all you guys do is complain! He expects everything to be done on his time. well, sorry the world doesnt that work that way, no matter how important you think you are. And geoaware didnt just "take it on" he developed it...took alot of time and effort and heart. and all you can do is demand things be done your way. :laughing: And im so sick of hearing that all the "real" work is done by the creators. yes that is work...but as you keep saying..its a hobby. no one is making you do it. Imagine sitting in front of a computer for hours counting how many EC's there are in how many countries, with how many logs and how many pictures to each cache. They do alot of traveling too, out making money to keep ECing going. So while i admit the cachers are important, please dont continuedly discount the work that people do behind the scenes.

So to try and get a EarthCache published is a demand from us the cachers? Did I read that right? Where do you get off with saying all we do is complain? Is this not a place to come and discuss but for you it is a complaint? I understand that you is his wife but he choose to develope EarthCaching and some cachers chose to find places they would like to make into and have published into a EarthCache. Looks like everyone is doing what they love to do. Let's not let feelings get in the way of a simple question.

But almost 14 days to get something published. To me it looks like a pissing match. Maybe I'm wrong but for everything he had to go thru just to submit a earthcache. :laughing:

Its not just cavscout! omg...seriously! other people mentioned it first! but you 2 are the only ones who take things personally! you can call me all the things you want...then go back and edit before too many people read them :laughing: im just someone who is sick of constantly reading the bad things you have to say. i know you all think that geoaware is just sitting around watching all the submissions pile up laughing in delight as they reach astronomical numbers. but im sure that isnt the case. there are budget cuts, there are shortage of people in the office, restrictions by people who have more say than geoaware. just think before you post....not all is the way you think it should be in the world.

there are ways to ask questions without being rude and condesending and demanding. No, its not bad to ask nicely in an email to geoaware...try that sometime...like "hey, just wondering whats happening, just making sure you got mine" but i think geoaware has answered this question a million times....they get submitted as they come in. so if yours was #123 but half of numbers 1-122 have issues that have to be dealt with, then thats the way it goes.

Edited by maggiebelle

But almost 14 days to get something published. To me it looks like a pissing match. Maybe I'm wrong but for everything he had to go thru just to submit a earthcache. :wub:

Its not just cavscout! omg...seriously! other people mentioned it first! but you 2 are the only ones who take things personally! you can call me all the things you want...then go back and edit before too many people read them :laughing: im just someone who is sick of constantly reading the bad things you have to say. i know you all think that geoaware is just sitting around watching all the submissions pile up laughing in delight as they reach astronomical numbers. but im sure that isnt the case. there are budget cuts, there are shortage of people in the office, restrictions by people who have more say than geoaware. just think before you post....not all is the way you think it should be in the world.

Have you read your posts you're taking this way to personally. My edit in the last post was that I made it look like you was Cavscouts wife by mistake instead of geowares. I just wanted to fix that part. :laughing:

But almost 14 days to get something published. To me it looks like a pissing match. Maybe I'm wrong but for everything he had to go thru just to submit a earthcache. :wub:

Have you read your posts you're taking this way to personally. My edit in the last post was that I made it look like you was Cavscouts wife by mistake instead of geowares. I just wanted to fix that part. :laughing:

oi...im saying youre taking the fact the cache hasnt been approved yet as a personal attack on you. :wub: and i am now done..goodnight.

Edited by maggiebelle

Oooookkkkaaayyy!!! gee seems like someone needs a time-out. If Maggiebell would take a look and see there are other people who are wanting their ECs published sooner too. So singling one person out is a wee bit harsh...dont ya think. And the one person I see being "snarky" is you.... If Geoaware is way more busy than he can handle then why not get extra help? Why not have Earthcache Reviewers in each state? :laughing:

As far as who does the most work... I would have to say it is the Awesome people who go "out" in the woods and climbs the insane bluffs and trails to find all the beauty and wonder of this Earth we call home. They take time out of their lives to drive miles upon miles (even when the gas prices where sky high) and walk in the heat of the summer or cold of the winter to get coordinates and waymarks and then does the fingerwork on the computer and books and then take pictures and loads them up so we know what we are looking for. Then you have the people who LOVE this game/hobby/treasure-hunt who find it fun, exciting and great exercise and awesome way to spend the day/weekend with family and friends. And doing this either way by being the Creator of a EC or the Finder of a EC is in fact more footwork than one would think.

Maggiebelle it seems like also that you have Cav Scout in your crosshairs also..... if you know of everything he has said and done, because I think I read other peoples threads in here who have complained about waiting for so long. :laughing:

It looks like you have taken this way to seriously. You should think before you post...

But almost 14 days to get something published. To me it looks like a pissing match. Maybe I'm wrong but for everything he had to go thru just to submit a earthcache. :laughing:

Edited by Cav Scout

Oooookkkkaaayyy!!! gee seems like someone needs a time-out. If Maggiebell would take a look and see there are other people who are wanting their ECs published sooner too. So singling one person out is a wee bit harsh...dont ya think. And the one person I see being "snarky" is you.... If Geoaware is way more busy than he can handle then why not get extra help? Why not have Earthcache Reviewers in each state? :laughing:

As far as who does the most work... I would have to say it is the Awesome people who go "out" in the woods and climbs the insane bluffs and trails to find all the beauty and wonder of this Earth we call home. They take time out of their lives to drive miles upon miles (even when the gas prices where sky high) and walk in the heat of the summer or cold of the winter to get coordinates and waymarks and then does the fingerwork on the computer and books and then take pictures and loads them up so we know what we are looking for. Then you have the people who LOVE this game/hobby/treasure-hunt who find it fun, exciting and great exercise and awesome way to spend the day/weekend with family and friends. And doing this either way by being the Creator of a EC or the Finder of a EC is in fact more footwork than one would think.

Maggiebelle it seems like also that you have Cav Scout in your crosshairs also..... if you know of everything he has said and done, because I think I read other peoples threads in here who have complained about waiting for so long. :laughing:

and you need to actually read my post. most people have been respectful when asking. cavscout continuously demands things to be done. and you would also see that i have said that it is not just cavscouts caches that are behind so it ISNT a personal attack by Earthcaching on him.

Oooookkkkaaayyy!!! gee seems like someone needs a time-out. If Maggiebell would take a look and see there are other people who are wanting their ECs published sooner too. So singling one person out is a wee bit harsh...dont ya think. And the one person I see being "snarky" is you.... If Geoaware is way more busy than he can handle then why not get extra help? Why not have Earthcache Reviewers in each state? :wub:

and you need to actually read my post. most people have been respectful when asking. cavscout continuously demands things to be done. and you would also see that i have said that it is not just cavscouts caches that are behind so it ISNT a personal attack by Earthcaching on him. oh and now lets talk about sock puppets :laughing:

This is the most silly thing I read tonight :laughing::laughing::wub: .

EC creators found the sites, earthcache published them. I paid for a GSA membership, do you really expect me to renew my membership now only to be treated like this later?

And im so sick of hearing that all the "real" work is done by the creators. yes that is work...but as you keep saying..its a hobby. no one is making you do it. Imagine sitting in front of a computer for hours counting how many EC's there are in how many countries, with how many logs and how many pictures to each cache. They do alot of traveling too, out making money to keep ECing going. So while i admit the cachers are important, please dont continuedly discount the work that people do behind the scenes.

This is someone who was pretty disappointed and I dont see you being "snarky" with this one? you are only bantering and badgering Joranda and Cav Scout.... hmmmmmmm :laughing:

Well I for one am pretty disappointed and disillusioned with the EarthCache publishing process. After a long process of having to submit an EarthCache before the city council, I finally got the approval I needed. I submitted my cache and received the EarthCache Submission notice on November 24, 2008.

It sits there for two weeks with no response, then on December 6, 2008 I receive a notice to make changes to the cache before they will publish it and the adoption request.

On December 7, 2008, changes to the web page were made and a reviewer note posted stating as such.

Not being familiar with the ineptness of this process, I posted another reviewer note on December 11, 2008 reminding them that I had made an update and asking how long I should expect to wait. Nothing happened. I waited and waited and waited.

Finally, on December 19, 2008 I sent an email directly to the reviewer asking them to either approve the listing or tell me what needed to be done.

Four days go by with no response whatsoever from anyone until December 23, 2008 when I receive a smarta** response that says "This is a copy of the email I sent you" and it's the same $#%& email they sent back on December 6th that I had immediately responded to. That tells me that no one even looked at what they were doing, they just fired off a smarta** letter to get me off their backs.

So as of today, I sit here, over a month since the city council approved this, not knowing what the heck is going on with it. I have now been put into the embarrasing position of trying to explain to the city council the inefficiencies of our own process and trying to keep our sport from getting any more negative publicity.

Do you have proof of me being demanding? My emails to AJ always start with hello and end with thank you.

I keep copies all of my emails.

Todays email to geoaware was,

Hello A***,

Could you tell me the status of my two ECs (name) and (name) I submitted in December?

Thank you

How is that demanding?

and you need to actually read my post. most people have been respectful when asking. cavscout continuously demands things to be done. and you would also see that i have said that it is not just cavscouts caches that are behind so it ISNT a personal attack by Earthcaching on him. oh and now lets talk about sock puppets :laughing:

To everyone who has posted on this page:

Please see the following section of the forum guidelines:

Private discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, we ask that you please use the Private Message feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general geocaching community.

Take your discussion elsewhere, meaning not in this public forum. Do not post further to this thread, and don't start another one to continue the same discussion.

Thank you.

Not sure what has happened to my latest earthcache submission.. Since I submitted it quite a few new earthcaches have been published by my "local" EC-reviewer, but not mine. It is a really amazing spot, totally geology based, non-controversial, and on public land.. emails have also gone unanswered

Should i submit it again? maybe send him flowers?

No, just wait your turn. They will get to it and if all is right with it, then it will be published. That we have learned today.

I would add one thing by way of friendly reminder...I know we are all anxious to see our EarthCaches approved and published, but...

This is the 13th of January -- just a bit shy of two weeks past a major holiday for most of the world. Many many people had extra days off in celebration of the New Year. There is a good chance that the EarthCache folks have had time off, and that land managers at the proposed cache locations may have also had time away from the office recently. Any communications between those entities to check permissions, etc might be slowed right now.

In addition to that, some areas of the US (and for all I know, other countries as well) have experience major power outages in the past week or two. Not only are some offices closed, but airline flights have been delayed, and entire counties have been closed to travel on the roadways.

Any work that gets missed due to these kinds of problems will also need to be caught up as priorities demand.

All of these things might cause potential delays getting EarthCaches published. When I count "10 days" I think of it in terms of "working days"-- and I am usually pleasantly surprised to find that my EarthCaches are reviewed in far fewer than 10 working days. I allow extra time for holidays and large scale severe weather episodes.

This from the Earthcache.org site:

"EarthCache numbers continue to grow!

The numbers of EarthCache submissions continues to grow at a rapid rate and we want to thank all those who contribute to the list of amazing sites.

However, as a consequence of the large number of submissions, approval times is now around 3 weeks. We are working as hard as we can to clear the backlog."

I guess some approvals may now take a while longer than usual :rolleyes:

JUST submitted my FIRST EARTH CACHE!!!! :D

Will be eagerly awaiting its approval!!! Even called park head quarters, got permission, a name and phone number~the ball is rolling!

Havent done too many ECs, as they are apparently not too popular in these parts from previous placers...we'll see how it goes, but I am pretty excited about it! :D

Wish me luck and Ill let ya'll know how fast it was published when I get the word- I can definatley see the anxiousness in awaiting approval!~ IM STOAKED!

JUST submitted my FIRST EARTH CACHE!!!! :D

Will be eagerly awaiting its approval!!! Even called park head quarters, got permission, a name and phone number~the ball is rolling!

Havent done too many ECs, as they are apparently not too popular in these parts from previous placers...we'll see how it goes, but I am pretty excited about it! :D

Wish me luck and Ill let ya'll know how fast it was published when I get the word- I can definatley see the anxiousness in awaiting approval!~ IM STOAKED!

Way to go! Good luck and with your help, maybe one day Earthcaches will out number micros? :)

I wonder should an EC need adjustment, if the waiting period is extended aswell. Also will the plans that go into effect in March provide a quicker EC review period initially?

Really its not a big deal, just sure is exciting to get my first one submitted...of course id like it to be listed, but the powers that be are workin hard on last months Joe EarthCacher who is eagerly awaiting thier review aswell.

Keep up the good work EC.org! :D

Lately my EC submissions have been taking about three weeks to get approved.

If there's a problem or correction for my EC, it adds an additional 7 to 10 days.

All I can say is be patient :) ....

I wonder should an EC need adjustment, if the waiting period is extended aswell. Also will the plans that go into effect in March provide a quicker EC review period initially?

Really its not a big deal, just sure is exciting to get my first one submitted...of course id like it to be listed, but the powers that be are workin hard on last months Joe EarthCacher who is eagerly awaiting thier review aswell.

Keep up the good work EC.org! :laughing:

Edited by Cav Scout

I would prefer to see earthcaches keep on being approved in this way EVEN if the approval rate is slightly slower. I would hate to see mass approval of earthcaches by GC.com and perhaps loose something in the way of quality.

A local/country specific/regional approver of earthcaches might be something to consider in future if this continues to grow as it has been.

I would prefer to see earthcaches keep on being approved in this way EVEN if the approval rate is slightly slower. I would hate to see mass approval of earthcaches by GC.com and perhaps loose something in the way of quality.

A local/country specific/regional approver of earthcaches might be something to consider in future if this continues to grow as it has been.

I think GC should actually follow EC's approval process even, it would certainly improve quality of caches IMHO

Like the old Scout, I totally agree. I would rather wait than see Groundspeak do any approving. Among other things I appreciate, Geoaware seems to be pretty consistent.

On the other hand, dealing with so many Groundspeak reviewers and their differing interpretations of the rules, can drive you nuts. If I have heard this once, I have heard it a dozen times, "just because a cache like this has been approved in the past does not mean a similar cache will be approved again!" In other words, we reserve the right to change the rules as we see fit!

Geoaware, to my knowledge, doesn't do that.

Yes, Geoaware probably needs more reviewing help but again, I'm willing to wait a while for consistency's sake!

P.S. Please don't view this as an broad-side attack on all Groundspeak reviewers. Yes, I know they are volunteers but even a volunteer can and should do the job right. Most do!

:laughing:

I think GC should actually follow EC's approval process even, it would certainly improve quality of caches IMHO

Amen to that too! :laughing:

My though includes that it still would only be geoaware (or the like) publishing the caches.
My though includes that it still would only be geoaware (or the like) publishing the caches.

That brings us back to square one. If there is a problem, then Geoaware needs some help and sending purposed ECs to Groundspeak wouldn't do anything but add an additional step and or time. The only thing Groundspeak would/could add is additional reviewers and Geoaware needs to pick the reviewers. I'll take the consistency of Geoaware and his merry (but small) band of approvers any day as compared to Groundspeak's volunteers! :D

Excerpts from the Forum Guidelines

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

Excerpts from the Forum Guidelines

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

First, I will apologize but I believe you were a bit quick on the trigger. Certainly, items 2 and 3 do not apply. There were no "personal" attacks and the thread was on topic which was Publishing caches.

It may be construed that item number 1. did not display as much courtesy as it should have and for that, I am sorry. But, is there not room for an honest discussion regarding problems with reviewers and getting caches published? No one is trying to paint all reviewers with a broad brush. We appreciate all that they do but just like cachers, they are human. Again, my sincere apology.

This thread is about publication of earthcaches by GSA, not about publication of geocaches by volunteer reviewers. If you want to discuss geocache publlication issues, open a new thread.

I found the "quick on the trigger" comment amusing. This thread could have been shut down a long time ago due to the multiple forum guideline violations. By posting a reminder and dealing with problems individually, I hope that the thread can remain open for legitimate, on-topic, respectful discussion.