Publishing

Juicepig

Not sure what has happened to my latest earthcache submission.. Since I submitted it quite a few new earthcaches have been published by my "local" EC-reviewer, but not mine. It is a really amazing spot, totally geology based, non-controversial, and on public land.. emails have also gone unanswered

Should i submit it again? maybe send him flowers?

Send a direct mail to geoaware. I've had a few get lost here and there. Either it mysteriously gets published immediately, or he'll ask for a resubmission. I wouldn't take it personally

Though the actual reviewer may like the flowers :laughing:

Edited by TerryDad2

Folks...we are moving through the submissions as fast as we can...and we are sorry for delays.

We are also working on a new process for submission that will send you an email to let you know the submission was successful..and in the approval queue.

Keep them rolling!

Cool, I have many more ECs coming your way :anibad::P:blink: !

Folks...we are moving through the submissions as fast as we can...and we are sorry for delays.

We are also working on a new process for submission that will send you an email to let you know the submission was successful..and in the approval queue.

Keep them rolling!

Hi folks. we have had 200 submissions this week...and we are carefully working through them all.

One thing that does slow us down is when people do not complete the permission information correctly.....or in fact do not follow each and every one of the guidelines.

So please be patient as we work through all the submissions in this late burst of summer activity!

Hi folks. we have had 200 submissions this week...and we are carefully working through them all.

One thing that does slow us down is when people do not complete the permission information correctly.....or in fact do not follow each and every one of the guidelines.

So please be patient as we work through all the submissions in this late burst of summer activity!

Thanks for the update. I submitted my very first one Sunday & was wondering how long it takes. I am happy to hear that its changing so that we'll get emails confirming our submission. I have a few more I am working on but am waiting patiently to see how it goes with my very first one :) We really appreciate all the work you volunteers do. Thanks :)

26 new ECs (USA) approved this week out of 200 submissions. I may be off a few numbers but this is what Groundspeak shows for newly listed ECs. Wow must be a lot of mistakes made.

I imagine in other countries there have a few more new ECs if the numbers are correct.

Again, we are sorry for those who are caught in the backlog...we are working hard on getting through the process for everyone. And while the USA is one of the countries with the most EarthCaches, the submissions from other countries is increasing at a far greater rate.

The process of approval is not a simple one...we read, check and get back to developers if something needs changing. That takes time to maintain consistency. It is not about the numbers for us....its about maintaining the standard and by doing that everyone wins.

At the same time we are dealing with other EarthCache issues, such as answering questions from developers and landholders, working on database and website issues, packing and mailing out EarthCache Masters pins etc etc.

Its a labor of love...and we hope people are willing to be patient.

Keep then rolling in...and we will keep working on the approval process for all.

Edited by geoaware

I appreciate it! as one of "thOSE" folks who live on the earth outside of USA I appreciate that the Geological society of America hasn't left us out of the process as well! B) I have alot more contact with you guys then the Canadian equivalent ( who have yet to get to my various snail mail after 7 months in waiting.. since they dont "have" email addresses.. grrr.. )

Feel free to close off this topic, unless you want to keep it around for others overly-eager to get theirs published

JP

Keep them rolling!

I've just submitted a EC and the e-mail notification is great - Thanks. :blink:

Not only does it let me know that it has been successfully sent and received but also creates an automatic backup of my data.

Submitted my 1st earthcache 17 days ago... nothing, no reaction or anything. Mailed geoaware and earthcache.org 4 times: even the same...!

This is the week of the American Thanksgiving holiday. Many people take their vacations around this time to visit family. I would not expect anything to have gotten done.

Now that there is a backlog it will take a while to catch up.

There seems to be a problem with the adoption mechanism. Most earthcaches published today haven't been handed properly to the new owners... :/

Can you point out examples?

Sorry to butt in but here's an example:

Granitic pegmatites - an adoption request was NOT sent to the owner.

Feel free to drop by, Daniel.

I was using this page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...&u=geoaware as example, but I'm not able to speak on behalf of the other earthcache owners. Granitic Pegmatites is still owned by Geoaware and I double checked and the cache is not set for adoption (at least for me)

Well I for one am pretty disappointed and disillusioned with the EarthCache publishing process. After a long process of having to submit an EarthCache before the city council, I finally got the approval I needed. I submitted my cache and received the EarthCache Submission notice on November 24, 2008.

It sits there for two weeks with no response, then on December 6, 2008 I receive a notice to make changes to the cache before they will publish it and the adoption request.

On December 7, 2008, changes to the web page were made and a reviewer note posted stating as such.

Not being familiar with the ineptness of this process, I posted another reviewer note on December 11, 2008 reminding them that I had made an update and asking how long I should expect to wait. Nothing happened. I waited and waited and waited.

Finally, on December 19, 2008 I sent an email directly to the reviewer asking them to either approve the listing or tell me what needed to be done.

Four days go by with no response whatsoever from anyone until December 23, 2008 when I receive a smarta** response that says "This is a copy of the email I sent you" and it's the same $#%& email they sent back on December 6th that I had immediately responded to. That tells me that no one even looked at what they were doing, they just fired off a smarta** letter to get me off their backs.

So as of today, I sit here, over a month since the city council approved this, not knowing what the heck is going on with it. I have now been put into the embarrasing position of trying to explain to the city council the inefficiencies of our own process and trying to keep our sport from getting any more negative publicity.

Tip: reviewers are not automatically notified when you post a "note to reviewer" to the cache page. The single distinguishing feature of that log type is that it deletes automatically when the cache is published.

The only way for a reviewer to be alerted to your note is if they have your cache on their watchlist, or on a bookmark list. Your cache is not on anyone's watchlist or bookmark list.

Your e-mail triggered a response within 3 business days, while the reviewer notes did not. So, I would write back an e-mail to the reviewer with an answer to the questions asked. Assuming that your modifications were acceptable, I'd bet that your cache would be published soon thereafter.

Looks like things are sloooooooowing down again. Two submissions, almost 14 days now.

Cavscout...seriously...get over yourself! EC is not the only thing these people do. As a matter of fact...its a small amount of what Geoaware and Anny have to do in a day...they have real jobs..i suggest you get something that better occupies your time too. If all you do is complain, then why do you bother with EC???? Seriously...people...its a game. RELAX.

Ok, im gonna self edit that one. Now...i am just so sick of you constantly degrading the work that geoaware and others at GSA do for something YOU supposedly love so much. You have no idea what these people do for earthcaching yet you sit by and constantly poopoo everything. Almost every post you make is either to toot your own horn or to disrespect Geoaware. Im gonna say it again...ITS A GAME for you. thats it....no part of your existence depends on ECing. It is a job for other people....and only part of the many things they have to do in a day. and i will ask this...if your days are sooooooooo long...how do you find so much to time to moan and complain and "find" and "create" earthcaches?? Have a little respect and some people might have a little for you. or you can keep posting snarky little posts...and that shows what your character is. and its not the type of character most people want to deal with.

Edited by maggiebelle