76csx - Topo & City Navigator

I don't actually have the unit--it's my father's, but I'm advising him on a few things. I'd like to set him up with both navigational maps and outdoor maps. The unit may be used for occasional street navigation, as well as canoeing/hiking/caching. It will also be shared between a couple of people.

Can both the Topo maps and street maps be loaded in at the same time? Can they be turned on/off within the device? Or is it better to have them on separate cards to exchange?

Any advice on what maps to buy? I assume that you have to transfer the maps you want from the DVD, right?

I don't actually have the unit--it's my father's, but I'm advising him on a few things. I'd like to set him up with both navigational maps and outdoor maps. The unit may be used for occasional street navigation, as well as canoeing/hiking/caching. It will also be shared between a couple of people.

Can both the Topo maps and street maps be loaded in at the same time? Can they be turned on/off within the device? Or is it better to have them on separate cards to exchange?

Any advice on what maps to buy? I assume that you have to transfer the maps you want from the DVD, right?

Yes, they can be loaded at once, within the device's map segment limit (which is something like 2000, I believe?). I have the full city nav and a decent chunk of the topo loaded on my 60csx right now. You can show/hide full mapsets by going to the map page > menu > setup map > map information > menu (again) > and then show/hide maps by mapset.

On a 2gb microsd, I have all of city nav and about 1/3 of the US in topo.

You could do the whole card-swapping thing, but imo that would be fairly tedious.

I find the city nav to be much more valuable to me than the topo US. But that might be just me.

Can both the Topo maps and street maps be loaded in at the same time? Can they be turned on/off within the device?

Yes and Yes. It's a very simple process. Basically,when using the DVD product, you select what areas you want from both maps and hit "send to device." Once on the GPS you can select what maps you want to be displayed.

As far as a recommendation goes....A Garmin Legend/Vista HCx or GSMAP 60Cx/CSx all have a large following. The Colorado and Oregon are new, snazzy and are likely the direction things are going but, like Magellan's newest products, have been dealing with some growing pains it seems.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...reProduct=14903

Edited by ryleyinstl

Thanks for the help... A couple more questions:

1) I keep seeing "City Navigator Update" on Amazon. Is this the full product, or does it require a previous version of City Navigator?

2) I read an article (can't find the URL now) that indicated that there would be significant upgrades from Topo 2008 - Topo 2009. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it worth the wait and/or cost?

Thanks for the help... A couple more questions:

1) I keep seeing "City Navigator Update" on Amazon. Is this the full product, or does it require a previous version of City Navigator?

No it's not the full product and requires a previous version of the program on your computer or on your GPSr (if the GPSr came with City Navigator installed on it).

Yes, they can be loaded at once, within the device's map segment limit (which is something like 2000, I believe?). I have the full city nav and a decent chunk of the topo loaded on my 60csx right now. You can show/hide full mapsets by going to the map page > menu > setup map > map information > menu (again) > and then show/hide maps by mapset.

On a 2gb microsd, I have all of city nav and about 1/3 of the US in topo.

You could do the whole card-swapping thing, but imo that would be fairly tedious.

I find the city nav to be much more valuable to me than the topo US. But that might be just me.

The map segment limit for a 76CSx is 2025 segments.

This is kind of off topic. I had a topo map on my 60csx, then just recently bought Navigator. I then downloaded the navigator to the unit, then the topo disapeared. so do I have to always load everything at once, ie- Eastern U.S. Topo , and a couple states of Nav. or can I load Navigator once, and then maybe put in Eastern topo, then maybe next month add Western Topo. seems like there should be an easier way. :D

The map segment limit for a 76CSx is 2025 segments.

Sorry... can you put that in laymen's terms for me? (Not quite sure what a "segment" is yet...)
Segments are "chunks" of maps that Garmin breaks up their map products into, so you can pick and choose what parts you want to load. Hope that's clear.

For example, City Navigator North America 2009 NT has 64 sements. You can choose and load just one, or all 64 if you have enough memory. City Navigator North America 2009 non-NT has 344 sements. Topo 2008 has 6633 segments. The size of the segments in MB and geographical area varies.

Assuming you kept the set under 2 GB, you could load all of CNNA NT and 1961 segments of Topo (total number of segments = 2025) or all of CNNA non-NT and 1681 segments of Topo (total number of segments = 2025), or 2025 segments of topo and nothing else.

I am also an owner of a 76CSX and I will be adding the City Navigator 2009 to my suite of maps along with a new Topo 24 collection.

That means I need to upgrade my SD card to hold the new maps and poi files I currently load.

Is there a limit on the size SD card that is supported by the firmware of the 76CSX?

Have they increased the waypoint limits any higher in the last few months?

Do you know if they are going to be coming out with a Topo 24 of the Northeast US anytime soon?

Edited by dhbaird