Self referencing Links

Have all links in the cache descriptions on cache pages been changed to be a link back to the cache page.

I can't yet find an example of where this has not happened.

I've just checked my LQ cache GC1669A. The link (behind an image) to the NWcaching website (ie an outside website) works perfectly.

I've also just checked another cache of mine GCA9BC I adopted a while back. The internal link to the original setter (TheCat) works perfectly.

So - 2/2 OK from here.

I've just checked my LQ cache GC1669A. The link (behind an image) to the NWcaching website (ie an outside website) works perfectly.

I've also just checked another cache of mine GCA9BC I adopted a while back. The internal link to the original setter (TheCat) works perfectly.

So - 2/2 OK from here.

I agree that internal links still work and I haven't tried any image links.

However straightforward links as in GC1AH3N and GC11KN5 seem to have been rewritten.

Geochecker seems to be an exception

I agree that internal links still work and I haven't tried any image links.

However straightforward links as in GC1AH3N and GC11KN5 seem to have been rewritten.

The links on my caches work OK. The links on your GC1AH3N both seem to point at about:blank, and viewing the source shows that they are null.

It's not because they originally linked to files rather then pages is it? (Such as word files). I seem to recall that Groundspeak decided to disallow this because of the risk of viruses being transmitted in this way. If this is the case, you'll have to make the link go to a webpage which then links to the file.

Try converting your link to point at a web page and see if that works.

On your GC11KN5, the source code point at a blank page. I think it should say:

<a href="www.15ddv.me.uk/geocaching/maze01-zdhwo2mj6.html">visit link</a>

Also, make sure that the box is ticked for "The descriptions below are in HTML"

Edited by NickPick

The links on my caches work OK. The links on your GC1AH3N both seem to point at about:blank, and viewing the source shows that they are null.

It's not because they originally linked to files rather then pages is it? (Such as word files). I seem to recall that Groundspeak decided to disallow this because of the risk of viruses being transmitted in this way. If this is the case, you'll have to make the link go to a webpage which then links to the file.

Try converting your link to point at a web page and see if that works.

On your GC11KN5, the source code point at a blank page. I think it should say:

<a href="www.15ddv.me.uk/geocaching/maze01-zdhwo2mj6.html">visit link</a>

Also, make sure that the box is ticked for "The descriptions below are in HTML"

NickPick Thanks for that.

Firstly these are not my caches merely examples. I was alerted by another setter whose page changed last night. The two examples I have given defintely worked a week or two ago. The first one linked to a pdf so you might be on to something.

Will probe more, at least this is not universal

I suggest that the reason is because the "HTML" flag isn't set. It's certainly not set in my offline copies in GSAK. I've noticed before that tjapukai in particular doesn't use that flag which is why the links always appear as "visit link" rather than with a proper HTML anchor. The recent change seems to have been to break the link completely. I expect that editing the page to check the HTML and putting the link as an anchor will fix them.

The two examples don't have GeoChecker on them?

I suggest that the reason is because the "HTML" flag isn't set. It's certainly not set in my offline copies in GSAK. I've noticed before that tjapukai in particular doesn't use that flag which is why the links always appear as "visit link" rather than with a proper HTML anchor. The recent change seems to have been to break the link completely. I expect that editing the page to check the HTML and putting the link as an anchor will fix them.

Alan this seems to make sense. I tried 12 caches at 'random' and they all had this problem which is why I made the post. I have trawled through more thoroughly and I reckon you are correct all the broken links are of the visit link type with the exception of one that was in the hint and used to display as plain text

Still this effects many caches so is still a problem which I would say is unintentional as the best way to break the link would be to leave the url in plain text the way it was typed in.

I have just checked. The external link in a TB description of mine still works perfectly. The links in my profile still work too. The link in one of my Bookmark list descriptions does not. Editing the latter to use proper HTML did not work, so I have edited it to omit the http bit so at least people can copy and paste it. I have also noticed that the reviews of my bookmarks lists have all mysteriously vanished.

[

I agree that internal links work and I haven't tried any image links.

Never mind, they are both difficult puzzle caches so do we really care ?!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

I take it all back, Mine have gone as well ! :D:D:D

Not being computer litterate I hope the yanks find a way of sorting it out soon.

Another fine mess they have got us in ! :D:D:D [but I like the other improvements] :D:D