Permanently modifying a geocoin

DCNatsFan

I recently ordered a "Geocaching Is The Key" geocoin from eBay. It's trackable, and looks like a regular key - the only thing that sets it apart is the "Trackable At Geocaching.com" logo, and the tracking number on the back. You can find a picture of it, here: http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1750/9e711xl3.jpg (picture taken from the eBay auction, and no, the tracking number is NOT visible in that pic).

I plan to remove the key from that ring that it's on, pry off the little jump ring, and attach it to a Washington Nationals keyfob. The result will resemble a regular key on a keyring with a fob. Here is what the result would look like: http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/343/0724080303vj5.jpg

So...is this sort of thing appropriate?

Some folks get bent out of shape if they find a tracking number for a con on something other than the real and orginal coin. Some of those may make an exception for a mostly real coin.

Courtesy would have you note that you have modified the coin like you point out in this thread on the coins tracking page.

Insofar as what you can do with the coin, Webscouter is dead on.

I plan to remove the key from that ring that it's on, pry off the little jump ring, and attach it to a Washington Nationals keyfob. The result will resemble a regular key on a keyring with a fob. Here is what the result would look like: http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/343/0724080303vj5.jpg

Your basically stealing that tracking number from a coin, that has been approved by Groundspeak, and putting it on a item that 1) is not a coin 2) has not been approved.

Just my opinion, of course, but I wouldn't do it.

The way I read what he wants to do is attach the geocoin key to a real fob so the entire thing looks like a normal keyring. How is that stealing a tracking number? If that is his plan then it is the same thing that a lot of people do with their travelers.

hi - i think the mod isnotmuch of a mod really. from the looks of the thing it was made to attach it to something similar design to the hogwild travel coin and he owns the coin so I can't see any moral problem - it just might get taken as swag though by a myopic and replaced with someones own house key!!!!

ps.I like the idea of showing where it come from ( GC got upset about people attaching things without asking to the Diabetes travel bug tag as that blue ring was a TB owned by GC although posted out to start it's trip - guilty oops :laughing: but I meant well - a travel companion for the wee thing to show where it started from amongst all the other blue rings out there. Repeat offender - they sent me the coin to start out next year and I put a mission card in its flip so it wouldn't get 'lost' :laughing:

There's plenty of approved newer style little travel bug coins like the trackabull dog made to attach to an item just like a tb tag so GC don't mind. there's necklace ones to wear and dog tag styles to attach a live object :0

I wonder what the weirdest thing someone has seen stuck to a coin?

Edited by forthferalz

Your basically stealing that tracking number from a coin, that has been approved by Groundspeak, and putting it on a item that 1) is not a coin 2) has not been approved.

The way I read what he wants to do is attach the geocoin key to a real fob so the entire thing looks like a normal keyring. How is that stealing a tracking number? If that is his plan then it is the same thing that a lot of people do with their travelers.

I should have looked at the picture closer, basically he is just adding the keyring, so he is attaching the key to a new ring, no problem.

I read that he was removing the tracking number from one item and was putting it on another.

I revise my opinion :laughing:

I should have looked at the picture closer, basically he is just adding the keyring, so he is attaching the key to a new ring, no problem.

I read that he was removing the tracking number from one item and was putting it on another.

I revise my opinion :laughing:

LOL :laughing:

Edited by LadyBee4T

I'd probably get one of those custodian key rings with like 200 keys on it and hide the key coin on the ring. I would weigh about 5 pounds and be enormous. But that is just my sense of humor.

AWESOME idea!! What fun that would be to watch some one look for it amist all the look alikes. :D:D:D

I'd probably get one of those custodian key rings with like 200 keys on it and hide the key coin on the ring. I would weigh about 5 pounds and be enormous. But that is just my sense of humor.

AWESOME idea!! What fun that would be to watch some one look for it amist all the look alikes. :D:D:D

BTW great idea to add to a real key ring

Hehe...you realise that I have to do that now, right?

I'll probably get a new GITK coin, then buy a bunch of old Kwikset keys, then once the coin is registered, do as webscouter suggested.

Kinda like those TB tags they sell to put on what ever you choose.......sounds like a fabricated problem to me?

I agree with the line that says it's yours do with as you wish

Neat idea :D

And just think of all the fun you can have at geo-picnics, pizza parties, etc :) Bring out the ring and tell folks that they can Discover the geocoin if they can find it!! :huh::lol::) Like the ammo can caches that are full of 35mm film cans, but only one of them has the log B)