2008 Appalachian Trail Geocoins

avroair

I just noticed the first 4 AT trail 2008 coins are up on Geoswag Georgia, West Virginia, Virginia and Maryland. There are currently 100 available of each in antique copper (previous versions were antique silver LE and antique bronze).

You can buy them HERE

You can read about the original idea HERE

Trackable: YES

Custom Icon: YES

ef558510-2b94-4549-b20a-f545b0721f45.jpg

You can read about the original idea HERE

If the ATGEOCOIN website is unavailable, please try again at a later time. :laughing:

Unfortunately the timing of this release didn't notify Mother Nature. :laughing:

Tuesday evening lightning killed the main server the website was originally hosted on and to say it was fried was an understatement. :laughing: (Also took out a 2nd server, a cable modem, a router, 2 digital TV cable boxes & a TV :unsure: Lighting hit the power pole and run in on the cable line is what we figure.)

"Fortunately" we had a backup.

"Unfortunately" the server that it now resides on is basically an old desktop machine that is severly overworking at the moment. Hopefully the new servers will go back online this coming weekend and things will be back to normal. Until then we may have some brief outage times while we get things transfered and up and running. :unsure:

Also, the artwork for "ALL" the designs will be updated next week as well.

D-man :blink:

I just had a chance to see the new copper versions of these coins, and I noticed something odd

if my memory is correct, the second coin in the original series was a combined Tennessee and North Carolina coin

that one seems to have been skipped in this new release

does anyone know why this was done ?

the third wave of these coins was recently delivered, and I noticed something unusual

the coin that says "NEW HAMPSHIRE" shows the outline of the state of Vermont

(the original two editions of this coin had the name and outline matched correctly on each coin)

the thing that surprises me the most, is that I had thought that the same dies were being used for this edition of the coins, and that only the finish was changed

I would have thought that a difference like that would have required new dies, and thus a fee for same

the third wave of these coins was recently delivered, and I noticed something unusual

the coin that says "NEW HAMPSHIRE" shows the outline of the state of Vermont

(the original two editions of this coin had the name and outline matched correctly on each coin)

the thing that surprises me the most, is that I had thought that the same dies were being used for this edition of the coins, and that only the finish was changed

I would have thought that a difference like that would have required new dies, and thus a fee for same

In doing series coins like this with the same basic shape and theme, just dropping in certain elements is all that is needed to change the coin from edition to edition. Unfortunately, the state didn't get changed in the original art sent to the mint when doing the New Hampshire coin. (the unfortunate result of late night designing and not double checking yourself :D )This was caught when the original AS & AG coins were made, but not before the dies were created. So, a second set of dies were made before any coins were actually produced.

Somewhere along the lines, the orignal (wrong) dies were accidentally used to make the AC edition of this one.

It seems the mint keeps ALL dies made, even it they are wrong. :huh:

Geoswag is aware of this and is looking into options on how to handle the mistake. :huh:

D-man ;)

Thank You very much for the explanation

it all makes perfect sense now

- - - -

this is just me being curious . . .

but do you happen to know why the TN/NC coin was skipped ?

I was told via e-mail that they would all be made eventually

it just struck me as odd that one would be skipped, as compared with the original sequence

for that matter, it looks like another was skipped in the current wave

(this wave included MA, VT or NH and ME)

but for now, it is not clear if it was VT or NH that got skipped

I am very confused with this coin. I have not been collecting coins for some time but since I started the AT coins, I would like to get the whole set. I was getting the regular and SE versions of all the coins but there was a huge gap where no coins were produced and that is about the time I quit buying coins. At that time, I was under the impression that after all the coins were released there would be one final 'commemorative' coin for the whole series minted. Has this happened? Have all coins been produced? Are they now making re-mints of the original coins in different finishes. A general chronological history of this coin set would be appreciated. Is it possible to still get the last couple of the original mintings? As you can see I am not well informed about this coin at all. In fact, I'm not totally sure what coins I do have but believe I have up to perhaps Pennsylvania.

A general chronological history of this coin set would be appreciated.

here is the information that I have -

the original coins in this series were released in antique bronze and antique silver

the bronze ones had soft enamel, the silver ones had hard enamel

they were released over time, usually one state at a time

the bronze ones were sold individually

the silver ones were only sold as part of a two-coin set (one each of bronze and silver)

I believe that this was true for all 13 state coins and the "final" coin (the 14th coin)

there was a fairly long gap of time (over a year, I think) between the release of the last state coin (Maine) and the release of the "final" coin

the entire set has been/is being re-minted in antique copper

with one exception (see below) the same dies were used

these copper coins have soft enamel

they have been released in "waves"

4 were released, then 4 more, then 3 more, then another 3

(the current 3 are listed on the GeoSwag presale page

if you subscribe to the newsletter, you should have seen this by now

if not, you will have to wait for the general release)

if the trend continues, all that is left is the "final" coin in copper

I am pretty sure that some of the coins are still available at GeoSwag -

one of the two original "final" coins (the bronze one, I think)

and most (maybe all) of the states in the current crop of copper finish coins

oddity - the initial copper New Hampshire coin was produced with an error

it said "New Hampshire", but showed the state of Vermont

I believe that it has been re-made with the correct state and name