I was looking at buying some cache containers on E-Bay. This is from the description I got from the seller in an email ...

"THIS particular cache is a little different than the rest. It does not come with a log to sign... people respond either by phone number or email to you letting you know that they found the geocache (i.e. the space for that info on the bottom of the cache)."

:anitongue:

I was looking at buying some cache containers on E-Bay. This is from the description I got from the seller in an email ...

"THIS particular cache is a little different than the rest. It does not come with a log to sign... people respond either by phone number or email to you letting you know that they found the geocache (i.e. the space for that info on the bottom of the cache)."

:anitongue:

I would guess that the rules would require the log since that's one of the basics of geocaching. And rules aside, I wouldnt' like that kind of cache and I'm probably not the only one. It would definately not be allowed to be called a general cache but one of those "additional logging requirement" kind.

Might I interest you in a reading of the guidelines?

I am well aware of the guidelines. What I am wondering is, are there some places in 'geocaching.com - land' where the 'log required' 'guideline' is overlooked? Has anyone out there ever heard of this, or better yet, actually done any logless caches?

Edited by buckeyealum

I am well aware of the guidelines. What I am wondering is, are there some places in 'geocaching.com - land' where the 'log required' 'guideline' is overlooked? Has anyone out there ever heard of this, or better yet, actually done any logless caches?

I've seen non-standard "logs", including a real log that you had to sign. But one way or another, a signature is required. Your cache won't get published (or won't stand if you somehow sneak it by) without some means of finders putting their "X" on it.

No place in geocaching.com land; but there are other websites where you could list a cache like this.

I've seen non-standard "logs", including a real log that you had to sign. But one way or another, a signature is required. Your cache won't get published (or won't stand if you somehow sneak it by) without some means of finders putting their "X" on it.

I don't want to have a cache published with no log. I'm just curious, because this person on e-bay has a business selling geocaching 'containers', and says she is a geocacher, so who is using her logless caches? Maybe some of the other sites like Navicache? I don't know, I'm just asking. Again, I'm not wanting to publish a cache without a log.

There may be some "grandfathered" logless caches left out there. The log requirement was added a few years ago, but any existing logless (a.k.a. code word) caches were allowed to stay.

There may be some "grandfathered" logless caches left out there. The log requirement was added a few years ago, but any existing logless (a.k.a. code word) caches were allowed to stay.

I remember one micro where the owner was "tired of replacing the log" so you basically opened the micro and found a wood screw in there. You emailed them and "told them what was in the container" to verify the find. I'm sure this would be archived if the reviewer were aware, though.

Here's an example that stretches the guidelines.

The cache container is a magnetic nano. If you've found a container like this you've probably discovered that it wouldn't take much to fill up all the space in the log. In this case, the owner wrote in the log something like: "This log is full. To log this cache online, send email to me with the name on the sign in field you can see from this location.". The sign is pretty obvious and you wouldn't know what the logging requirements are unless you found the cache.

Technically it probably violates the guidelines on a couple of levels but I hope that nobody decides to be a Cache Cop and posts a SBA on it, and if someone does the local moderator responds with a GAL (get a life).

Well, I ended up figuring out how to add a log. I think it's going to make a cool hide. Also, I'm definitely using the idea for a multi stage - thanks for that idea! And, the owner of the business selling these containers did email me with an answer as to the purchasers of this particular container ... it's those zaney folks at mousetrapcaching.com. :laughing: