Posting a lost item reward as a cache: forbidden or allowed?

jemenake

Yesterday, I lost my phone while flying my RC glider. I looked for it for a couple of hours yesterday... even went back at night to see if I could spot the screen lighting up when my buddy called it. Today, I searched a couple of more hours (including using a tablet PC scanning for discoverable bluetooth devices). While there, I noted the GPS coordinates of an area that I'm almost certain the phone lies within (about a football-field of area).

Now, I've already got a new SIM card and have a new phone on order, and most of my data is going to sync over from the PC... so, no big loss there. But there is some data on the external SD card that I'd like to have back... and, mostly, I'm just dying to know where that thing is.

So, it dawned on me to post it as a cache with a reward of, say, $150 or so. I'd post the coordinates of the area it could be in and a description of the phone. Normally, I'd figure that posting a cache with that large of a search area would be disallowed... but, with the reward as large as it is, I imagine that some cachers might be intrigued by the novelty of it.

Is something like this expressly disallowed, allowed-but-lame, or allowed-and-kinda-interesting?

And, if I listed it... what *kind* of cache should I list it as?

Doesn't sound like a cache to me

I don't see how it's less of a cache than a virtual or webcam cache but, whatever....

It wouldn't be allowed. I can think of several cache listing guidelines that it would violate. Cache permanence, no container and no logbook for starters.

Okay, what if I put a normal cache in the center of the area with a map of the area the phone is in and describing the reward? The cache isn't soliciting any commerce and not promoting any religious/political positions, so I'm not sure the contents would be disallowed.

In fact, the real cache could contain a map of the area broken into search grids and people could log what parts they searched...

- Joe

I don't see how it's less of a cache than a virtual or webcam cache but, whatever....

It wouldn't be allowed. I can think of several cache listing guidelines that it would violate. Cache permanence, no container and no logbook for starters.

Okay, what if I put a normal cache in the center of the area with a map of the area the phone is in and describing the reward? The cache isn't soliciting any commerce and not promoting any religious/political positions, so I'm not sure the contents would be disallowed.

In fact, the real cache could contain a map of the area broken into search grids and people could log what parts they searched...

- Joe

Niether of which are allowed anymore. Although some are grandfathered in.

QUOTE(briansnat @ Jul 23 2008, 05:49 PM) *

Sounds like an ALR cache. List it as a puzzle. The problem becomes what happens if/when the phone is found?

Perhaps the best solution is to host an event at the site?

- Joe

:laughing:

Very good idea indeed !

Good luck with finding your data back...

... Maybe flyers on a nearby telephone pole?

... which isn't legal either.

Have you ever heard of anyone being prosecuted for this? I wish they would but I have never heard of enforcement of this. Just look at all those garbage sale signs people hang all over the place.

Ummm, why didn't you post the coordinates here.

I'm aware that it's a limited audience, but every little bit helps. I would personally find it challenging.

Type 'em out and put a local tag on it like "Near Mars, PA." If you are brave enough , list the phone number too....

Type 'em out and put a local tag on it like "Near Mars, PA." If you are brave enough , list the phone number too....

Actually, the SIM card was disabled today... and the battery is certainly dead by now. On the back of the phone is a sticker that says "If found, call XXX-XXX-XXXX and say 'Joe lost his phone and I have it'.". So, I don't need to post a number. If someone finds it, they find the number to call along with it.

- Joe