All change again...

I made 1 SBA, 2 Needs Maintenance, 1 Enabled log today. I should have got emails through my insta notifications on all of these logs (2 emails for the enabled log) but I never got one email at all!

I also grabbed one of my own TB's today and never got the email for that.

I'm quite happy if they have stopped sending emails for logs that I have generated, as I obviously don't need to read them. But the question is, are they supposed to still arrive or is this another glitch?

I made 1 SBA, 2 Needs Maintenance, 1 Enabled log today. I should have got emails through my insta notifications on all of these logs (2 emails for the enabled log) but I never got one email at all!

I also grabbed one of my own TB's today and never got the email for that.

I'm quite happy if they have stopped sending emails for logs that I have generated, as I obviously don't need to read them. But the question is, are they supposed to still arrive or is this another glitch?

We had this the other day (with a disable then an enable) before the current revamp, so it might not be the revamp's fault.

Eew! Where did that horrible purple colour for visited links come from? It's nasty, especially on the /my page which is covered in links that you've already visited (cache, tb and log pages)... It's like an explosion in the Duluxe factory :)

Internet Explorer - try Tools - Internet Options - General - Accessibility. Click on 'Ignore colors used on webpage'. Then go back to the Colors button and have fun :laughing:

Chris (MrB)

Eew! Where did that horrible purple colour for visited links come from? It's nasty, especially on the /my page which is covered in links that you've already visited (cache, tb and log pages)... It's like an explosion in the Duluxe factory :)

People complained that the "visited links" colour introduced a couple of days ago was indistinguishable from the "unvisited links". No danger of that now.

Perhaps one of the HTML/CSS experts round here could put together a little page on how to override the site's colour scheme with your own. I think it can be done, but at work I leave CSS to our graphic design people so I've never bothered to find out. :laughing:

A slightly more annoying bug now seen in Opera Mobile - I thought it was down to my PDA yesterday, but...

You can't search for caches my post code with the advanced search any more - clicking on the "Go" button does nothing. This may well be related to other post code bugs mentioned above - but if this one isn't fixed soon, I'm going to have to give up the dawning hope that I had that I could actually do some impromptu new geocaching out in the field - even my mobile phone could do this.

Oh. Better check - that's running Opera Mini... :rolleyes:

This is a serious impediment as far as I'm concerned.

People complained that the "visited links" colour introduced a couple of days ago was indistinguishable from the "unvisited links". No danger of that now.

Perhaps one of the HTML/CSS experts round here could put together a little page on how to override the site's colour scheme with your own. I think it can be done, but at work I leave CSS to our graphic design people so I've never bothered to find out. :rolleyes:

Easy enough in Internet Explorer, just dump this text into a file:

#bd a:visited {
color: #006080 !important;
}

Save it as something like "stylesheet.css" (the .css ending is important). Now open the internet settings (Control Panel > Internet Options), General tab, click the Accessibility button. Tick "Format documents using my style sheet" and then click the browse button just below that. Select the file you saved earlier and click OK. Reload the page and it should have changed.

This method will change all the visited links on gc.com to the something like what it was before (I think). If you're familiar with RGB colour codes, you could of course, pick any colour you like.

In Firefox it's somewhat more complicated, one method (tested by me and it works :antenna:) can be found here

(edit fixed typos in the css code :blink:)

Edited by JeremyR

All change!

The greasemonkey script to put trackables at the top right, in a new "my inventory' box now shows caches awaiting review in the box... :rolleyes:

Seems that GSP have now returned the inventory list to where it used to be. Turn off the script and everything will be as it was. :blink:

You can't search for caches my post code with the advanced search any more - clicking on the "Go" button does nothing. This may well be related to other post code bugs mentioned above - but if this one isn't fixed soon, I'm going to have to give up the dawning hope that I had that I could actually do some impromptu new geocaching out in the field - even my mobile phone could do this.

If you're out in the field, presumably with your GPSr, can't you search for caches from your current GPS coordinates? After all, only a few countries use street-level post codes (the UK, Netherlands, and Canada spring immediately to mind), so I presume that this is how people have to do it in Belgium, France, Germany, etc. I haven't seen any threads complaining that the failure by the postal authorities in those countries to implement high-precision postcodes is a serious impediment to their geocaching. :rolleyes:

(The US is a bit special because they do have street-level, 9-digit Zip codes, but nobody seems to use them!)

Not sure if anyone else has found this issue, but I can't seem to send co-ords to my Garmin GPS system. When I click on the link I get a message 'Only supports Garmin Devices'

Have tried on another machine, in IE7 (I use Firefox) and updated the plugin all to no avail so assume it's an issue with the site. :rolleyes:

All change!

The greasemonkey script to put trackables at the top right, in a new "my inventory' box now shows caches awaiting review in the box... :rolleyes:

Seems that GSP have now returned the inventory list to where it used to be. Turn off the script and everything will be as it was. :blink:

I think I'll leave the script on -- I'd rather have the repeat display of the caches awaiting review than the unappealing "Hello the hermit crabs" box with the hideously stretched-out avatar :antenna:

BUMP!!!! Many of my Greasemonkey add-ons are no longer working - any news???

LilDevil and Prime Suspect have said they they plan on updating theirs at some point, but haven't gotten to it yet. I think that they may be waiting for all of the dust to settle from this current update and subsequent fixes before they spend too much time on it. (I especially miss the script that includes links to all of my logs in the upper right corner of a cache page. I'm almost tempted to learn how to write Greasemonkey scripts myself!)

Thanks for the heads up :D if I had the time and technical expertise, I'd give it a try myself too! I'm missing the 'my find counts' add-on most :D - sad I know, but I've got so used to it...................

Anyone else finding the site very slow since the upgrade??? :D

Yes, only slightly.

And it's a pain when encrypting the hint - it goes back to the top of the page whereas it used to just change the script.

And it's a pain when encrypting the hint - it goes back to the top of the page whereas it used to just change the script.

I was going to try and write a greasemonkey script to bring 'on-the-fly' hint decoding back but I didn't bother because (silly me) I assumed that the loss of that functionality was a temporary 'whoops' and they'd bring it right back. Since it now seems to be that it's staying gone, I'll have a crack at a script... Shouldn't be too hard.

I was going to try and write a greasemonkey script to bring 'on-the-fly' hint decoding back but I didn't bother because (silly me) I assumed that the loss of that functionality was a temporary 'whoops' and they'd bring it right back. Since it now seems to be that it's staying gone, I'll have a crack at a script... Shouldn't be too hard.

Great - I can't wait!

Great - I can't wait!

You don't have to ;);)

Geocaching Hint Decoder

Restores the 'on-the-fly' hint decoding functionality that was lost in the site-upgrade t'other week.

It's a mammoth two lines of code. The script to do the decryption is actually still on geocaching.com, they've just broken it with what looks like a typo ([geek] the onclick event of the Decrypt link calls a non-existent function.[/geek]) All this greasemonkey script does is 'unbreak' it...

Tested and working in Firefox 3.0.1. Any problems let me know...

(Quick edit to add, that because the actual decryption is done by the original Groundspeak code, it has all the same bugs that the decryption system of old had, including if a hint contains special characters (like &, < or > to name three) then repeatedly decrypting/encrypting will add a string of gibberish to the hint.)

(Edit 2 just noticed there's another script doing the rounds on the giganta-thread on the website forum... If I stepped on anyone's toes, I didn't mean to :laughing:)

Edited by JeremyR

(Quick edit to add, that because the actual decryption is done by the original Groundspeak code, it has all the same bugs that the decryption system of old had, including if a hint contains special characters (like &, < or > to name three) then repeatedly decrypting/encrypting will add a string of gibberish to the hint.)

To fix the "&" issue, you could extract the routine convertROTStringWithBrackets from the include file and put it in the GM script (you'd probably want to change its name by adding "_x" to it, etc), then patch it as follows: replace the lines between

// ignore any text enclosed in [ ] brackets
		sOutput += sChar;

with:

if (sChar == "[") {
			bDecrypt = false;
		} else if (sChar == "]") {
			bDecrypt = true;
		} else if ( (sChar == " ") {
			/*jsl:pass*/
		} else if (sChar == "&") {	/* intercept &...; encoded HTML magic characters */
			var match = /\&[^;]*\;/.exec(s.substr(i, s.length - i))[0];
			if (match) {
				sOutput += match;
				i += match.length - 1;
				sChar = "";	 /* we already output the & */
			}
		} else if (sChar == "<") {
	// check for line-break (and other) HTML tags
		   for ( var j = 0; j < lbtags.length; j++) {
			 var lbtag = lbtags[j];

if (	( i < (s.length - lbtag.length) )
				 && ( s.toLowerCase().substr( i, lbtag.length ) == lbtag )
				) {
				sOutput += lbtag;
				i += lbtag.length - 1;
				sChar = "";	//this character has now been handled
			  }
		   }
		 } else {
			if (bDecrypt) {
			  sChar = convertROT13Char(sChar);
			}
		 }
		 sOutput += sChar;

To fix the "&" issue, you could extract the routine convertROTStringWithBrackets from the include file and put it in the GM script (you'd probably want to change its name by adding "_x" to it, etc), then patch it as follows: replace the lines between

sOutput += sChar;

with:

if (sChar == "[") {
			bDecrypt = false;
		} else if (sChar == "]") {
			bDecrypt = true;
		} else if ( (sChar == " ") {
			/*jsl:pass*/
		} else if (sChar == "&") {	/* intercept &...; encoded HTML magic characters */
			var match = /\&[^;]*\;/.exec(s.substr(i, s.length - i))[0];
			if (match) {
				sOutput += match;
				i += match.length - 1;
				sChar = "";	 /* we already output the & */
			}
		} else if (sChar == "<") {
	// check for line-break (and other) HTML tags
		   for ( var j = 0; j < lbtags.length; j++) {
			 var lbtag = lbtags[j];

if (	( i < (s.length - lbtag.length) )
				 && ( s.toLowerCase().substr( i, lbtag.length ) == lbtag )
				) {
				sOutput += lbtag;
				i += lbtag.length - 1;
				sChar = "";	//this character has now been handled
			  }
		   }
		 } else {
			if (bDecrypt) {
			  sChar = convertROT13Char(sChar);
			}
		 }
		 sOutput += sChar;

;):laughing:;) I'll stick the way it is!

Great - I can't wait!

You don't have to ;);)

Geocaching Hint Decoder

Restores the 'on-the-fly' hint decoding functionality that was lost in the site-upgrade t'other week.

It's a mammoth two lines of code. The script to do the decryption is actually still on geocaching.com, they've just broken it with what looks like a typo ([geek] the onclick event of the Decrypt link calls a non-existent function.[/geek]) All this greasemonkey script does is 'unbreak' it...

Tested and working in Firefox 3.0.1. Any problems let me know...

(Edit 2 just noticed there's another script doing the rounds on the giganta-thread on the website forum... If I stepped on anyone's toes, I didn't mean to :laughing:)

Thanks - great service!

To fix the "&" issue, you could extract the routine convertROTStringWithBrackets from the include file and put it in the GM script (you'd probably want to change its name by adding "_x" to it, etc), then patch it as follows: replace the lines between...

;);) Well to be honest, I played off the extra time and debug/test effort to filter out html entities before passing it to the conversion functions against the actual number of caches that have one in their hint. I couldn't find any so I kept it simple...

To fix the "&" issue, you could extract the routine convertROTStringWithBrackets from the include file and put it in the GM script (you'd probably want to change its name by adding "_x" to it, etc), then patch it as follows: replace the lines between...

;):laughing: Well to be honest, I played off the extra time and debug/test effort to filter out html entities before passing it to the conversion functions against the actual number of caches that have one in their hint. I couldn't find any so I kept it simple...

I wish I'd thought of that! ;):anibad:

Geocaching Hint Decoder

Thanks!! :)

(Edit 2 just noticed there's another script doing the rounds on the giganta-thread on the website forum... If I stepped on anyone's toes, I didn't mean to :huh:)

(I had tried that other one a couple of days ago, but for some reason it didn't work for me -- I still got a whole-page refresh when I tried to decrypt a hint. Yours does the trick!)

Hi

Wonder if anyone can advise on what may be causing the following problem?.....

When I do a 'Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates', I get some missing info down the left-hand side of the page - esp the 'miles from home coordinates' - all I can see is the 'i'. This has only happened since the recent changes. The green border seems to be hiding the info.

I noticed this on a 800x600 screen resolution monitor. Should the coding be made to 'relative' and not 'absolute' ie Main box coded as % of screen resolution and not set to absolute??????

Had a search of other threads in this topic, and couldn't find a relevant answer, so appologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

Otherwise looks a good cosmetic 'upgrade'....

Thanks

Hi

Wonder if anyone can advise on what may be causing the following problem?.....

When I do a 'Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates', I get some missing info down the left-hand side of the page - esp the 'miles from home coordinates' - all I can see is the 'i'. This has only happened since the recent changes. The green border seems to be hiding the info.

I noticed this on a 800x600 screen resolution monitor. Should the coding be made to 'relative' and not 'absolute' ie Main box coded as % of screen resolution and not set to absolute??????

Had a search of other threads in this topic, and couldn't find a relevant answer, so appologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

Otherwise looks a good cosmetic 'upgrade'....

Thanks

Same problem, and bottom scroll bar missing.