All change again...

Search by postcode no longer works: putting in my works postcode produces a list of caches in Germany

and our home post code produces caches in Ireland. I only work 16 miles from home!!

:laughing:

Must be some sort of glitch as mine works fine, up to a point. It has the distances wrong by about a mile.

Oh well.................

Edited by walkergeoff

Search by postcode no longer works: putting in my works postcode produces a list of caches in Germany

and our home post code produces caches in Ireland. I only work 16 miles from home!!

:laughing:

Must be some sort of glitch as mine works fine, up to a point. It has the distances wrong by about a mile.

Oh well.................

Doesn't work for me on page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/ if I enter my postcode I get and error saying "a location for " could not be found" and then it takes me to a list for Portugal.

A search on my home postcode gives caches somewhere in Germany, my work postcode gives caches in Sweden !

Strange.... A search from my home postcode ( LU2 9 ) brings up caches centred on a point about 2 miles away from home. Not particularly close but very definitely in the right country :laughing:

Ach! The whole thing is fit for the bin! :laughing:

If I drop the last two digits of the postcode it becomes more accurate :laughing:

although still about a mile out

When facebook.com updated their website earlier in the week they offered a link called 'use old version'

Perhaps we could just have one of those! :laughing:

M

If I enter my post code on the home page (or the search page which loads when you click on 'Hide & seek a cache' on the left hand side) it comes up with Ireland

On the 'advanced search' page it's about two miles out

Advanced search page seems about right on mine.

Avitar representation....

FAIL

Mine looks like I've put on loads of weight.

Oh... ok. I'll get my coat then...

Just checked though - the new web site is still shockingly bad for Opera Mobile users. I hope they sort this out soon as this weekend was going to be my branch out to use paperless Geocaching using Pocket PC...

FAIL

Yup...logging a find this morning from my TyTN II, I was dismayed to see that the display on Opera is really grim. Only the text has a white background - the rest of the page is green, making it very hard to navigate. Given the number of people who use portable devices to organise, find and log, this is a shocking oversight and one I hope gets fixed very quickly.

Is it any better in Pocket IE?

Lee

Just out of interest, and I appreciate this is somewhat wishful thinking, but have Groundspeak ever considered asking any of its users/customers about any substantial changes like this? (ie, getting rid of virtuals, not the updating of the graphics...) I'm sure we in the UK aren't the only ones who like virtuals, and our friends in the US must be rather peev'd off about this as well!

In general (I'm talking about "life, the universe, and everything" here), about 60% of people will be broadly against any change to anything. So asking existing customers if they want to change what's currently being offered is rarely a good idea, and very few companies do it. They might get focus groups in to ask whether people think their new widget should be red or blue, but withdrawing a product is generally done much more quietly. It's a less glamorous job but it sometimes has to be done.

For example (warning: extremely imperfect analogy ahead), let's say you're a big chocolate manufacturer and you make several bars, and sales of one of them have started to fall. If you ask the people who still buy that bar, they will tell you to keep making it. If you ask the people who buy your other bars, they're unlikely to have a strong opinion - you might be able to convince one or two that by stopping making bar X then bar Y will become 1p cheaper, but they will assume, probably rightly, that you will put that 1p in your shareholders' pockets. Yet making that bar is losing you money. So you pull it from production and before you know it, half the people who ever bought that bar (probably including people who didn't really like it) are on the Internet organising a petition.

With virtuals, there were a lot of complaints about them; worse even than "lame micros". They were also very unpopular with the volunteers who had to review them - in my extremely imperfect chocolate bar analogy, it might be like one bar was selling OK but it needed special refrigeration and the distributors didn't like stocking it. Groundspeak took a decision to nip that trend in the bud before it became a major problem (incidentally, being too quick to react to trends is not something Groundspeak is usually accused of...). Had they asked, the people who liked doing virtuals would have voted to keep them, and the people who didn't probably wouldn't have had very strong opinions (and were probably in a minority anyway).

We don't have, and we never can have, any way of knowing if that was the "right" decision. Since virtuals were removed from the list of new cache types, the number of caches has quadrupled, and the number of cachers has gone up considerably too. Perhaps if virtuals had still been around the number of cachers would have doubled again, but perhaps virtuals would now be 95% of all caches and people would be put off because geocaching would essentially have become Geodashing. All we can say is that removing virtuals didn't kill geocaching.

Groundspeak, like any other small company, regularly has to take decisions to put a fair chunk of their own real cash money on one particular horse. The rest of us get the luxury of debating it without having to get our wallets out. I know which I'd rather do. :laughing:

A search on my home postcode gives caches somewhere in Germany, my work postcode gives caches in Sweden !

I get somewhere in Germany too (Centred on N 48° 39.514 E 012° 08.087) from the postcode search on the homepage - whether I put my home or work postcode. Interestingly, if I truncate the postcode (just knock off the last letter) it gives me a list centred on a point about 2 miles away.

If I put in my parent's postcode, it centres on my old school :laughing: , which is about 1.5 miles from my parents.

Oh that's weird, I put my postcode in and the nearest cache was 1 mile away. As there is a cache at my postcode, I would call that not 100% successful. At least it's not given me germany!!

All in all I like the font and colour change but don't like the way we have all become short and fat!!

Anyone tried printing a cache page with IE7? I tried to print to Adobe Acrobat and to a printer but I lose the left 3 inches of the page and because of the double line spacing we now have on the cache pages where you'd print perhaps 2 pages to get the cache info you now have to print 10!

It could be my PC of course, but it worked before the 'upgrade'.....

Chris (MrB)

Anyone tried printing a cache page with IE7? ......snip

Chris (MrB)

Printing ... what's that ? :D ...... I thought 'The Blorenges' were paperless cachers :D:D

Ah we are... but I wanted to print a cache page out as a pdf to email to a friend. I have now found you have to use the 'print' button. You can print to pdf using the button option but oh boy is the layout interesting in Acrobat! That is why I always just printed out the page using IE's print option.

I think I just email my friend a link....

Paperless caching it is!

Chris (MrB)

Anyone tried printing a cache page with IE7? I tried to print to Adobe Acrobat and to a printer but I lose the left 3 inches of the page and because of the double line spacing we now have on the cache pages where you'd print perhaps 2 pages to get the cache info you now have to print 10!

It could be my PC of course, but it worked before the 'upgrade'.....

Chris (MrB)

A sense of relief, although fury, that at least it's not just us who can't print. We thought it was our PC, but had had no problems before the 'upgrade' and can still print off pages from other websites. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Obviously its a problem that Groundspeak need to work on. In the interim if you need to print a cache page don't forget that you can copy and paste into another program (eg Microsoft Word or whatever your word processor is) and then print it off.

Re all the comments about the Postcode search.

There was always an accuracy issue with this for UK Postcodes, it just seems to be more pronounced now. It was commented on just 12 days ago in this posting Greetings All plus a question -

US ZIP Codes are only 5 digits. If you search for just the first 5 characters, the search is a lot more accurate.

On the old website it just used to give the same results whether you put in the first 5 or all 7 characters, now the additional 2 characters sem to corrupt the results. :D

Is anyone experiencing problems with PQ's ?

I ran 3 of my saved ( but unscheduled) Pq's yesterday , and according to my PQ page, they all ran.......trouble is they never arrived ??????

Interestingly, I then ran the "my finds PQ" which came through immediately ??????

Asked for the same 3 Pqs + 1 other today..... after 3hrs....zilch????

just me???? :laughing:

The printing problem has been mentioned in the main forums. There is a print option on the cache page that works fine. But if you want to print the page with logs you have to use the pdf generation button. This produced a rather interesting layout when I did it and viewed the document in acrobat, I'm not sure why :laughing: .

However it used to be possible to print the page as viewed on screen in IE and that option no longer works.

Chris (MrB)

I ran 3 of my saved ( but unscheduled) Pq's yesterday , and according to my PQ page, they all ran.......trouble is they never arrived ??????

Interestingly, I then ran the "my finds PQ" which came through immediately ??????

just me???? :laughing:

i got yesterdays pq at 23:11 lastnight and i'm not getting watchlist owner emails either

We had the same problem a while ago - some kind sole advised us to delete the old ones and set them up again which seemed to work........

Good luck!

Edited by L8HNB

just me???? :)

i got yesterdays pq at 23:11 lastnight and i'm not getting watchlist owner emails either

I ran 5 new ones last night and they all came straight in. My finds is on another server and is normally run straight away, so its possible the my finds will come in quickly and the others are delayed.

Sorry if you are all ready aware but if you rerun a PQ another day it sends it after the time that it last sent it, if that makes sense? :)

ie if it ran last on say monday at 10.30am (PST) and you want it again today it will send it after 10.30 no matter when you request it. If you want a PQ instantly then click on the copy option and run the copy it will come through virtually straight away. You will need to delete obsolete ones otherwise you will drown in copies of copies :laughing:

Sorry if you are all ready aware but if you rerun a PQ another day it sends it after the time that it last sent it, if that makes sense? :)

ie if it ran last on say monday at 10.30am (PST) and you want it again today it will send it after 10.30 no matter when you request it. If you want a PQ instantly then click on the copy option and run the copy it will come through virtually straight away. You will need to delete obsolete ones otherwise you will drown in copies of copies :laughing:

Have to say I never appreciated this nuance :) .... the copies worked instantaneously ......cheers gushoneybun :) Slainge Bob

Half the stuff does'nt print out :laughing:

Are you printing from the web browser (file - print) or using the Print option on the cache page? It is the browser print option that is the problem. Using the page print option produces a tidy screen with all the info (except logs) which prints fine for me (IE7).

Chris (MrB)

Ok, I guess I came over extremely negative in earlier posts and I apologise for that. I'd like to be a little more constructive.

Good:

The new look and feel does make the site look slicker and more polished.

Some thought has gone into what may seem to be small changes in colour and layout.

I for one like having the Avitar in the corner of the first page. Although its distorted, I'm sure they'll fix this in the long run and to be honest its something that most people can fix themselves by adding padding around the existing image to make it square.

Bad:

Opera 8.5 is now very difficult to negotiate on a Pocket PC - the page is incredibly wide with the cache page filling in the normal amount of space and then being padded with an ENORMOUS amount of green nothingness. As an increasing number of people are using mobile technology while caching this must be fixed quickly as Opera is the browser of choice for many as it is so much better than the Microsoft one (especially version 9, though I've yet to get my hands on this as it's currently only available on latest versions of Windows Mobile Os.

Lots of other little bits and bobs broken about the place - I'm sure this is being filtered back and I hope there's an official way of reporting these bugs back up the chain. I suspect quite a lot of the back-end code has been replaced and as inevetably happens with many new releases, some things go wrong.

So, all in all, a mixed bag but so long as they get the things that were working previously back in order quickly, I suspect there's a lot of new things coming soon that the old platform was creaking at the seems and unable to provide efficiently.

Eew! Where did that horrible purple colour for visited links come from? It's nasty, especially on the /my page which is covered in links that you've already visited (cache, tb and log pages)... It's like an explosion in the Duluxe factory :laughing:

Edited by JeremyR