Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

I've read the entire thread at one time or another and don't remember this being reported. After logging a cache that log comes up with a box at the bottom where you can add the WP of the next cache to be logged. Used to be when you clicked on that box the "GC" part of the waypoint stayed in the box. Now they are gone and need to be re-entered. It's not a big deal, but if you forget about the change and enter the WP without the GC prefix, more time is wasted getting the error page and starting over.

Mac OSX & Safari

Every cache I've logged since the update.

For those having the problem with PDF's saving with no hint decryption, I simply bring up the page, click on decrypt, then in my browser (Safari) I select file, print, click on the PDF option and save it to my desktop. You'll get 5 logs automatically. If you want more (which could result in MANY pages) you can click the "view them all on one page" option before the above procedure. A workaround until the fine folks fix the code.

The other problem with PDF's is that when you want the 10 log PDF it puts all the logs on the first page. Nothing flows to the second page including the cache description, it just appears cut-off at the bottom of page 1.

MaitreMind

When I'm submitting a log, I can't even see what I'm typing half the time. That's kind of annoying.

Now that I've returned from two weeks of submitting logs on the road, I'd like to upgrade this to "really annoying". It's somewhat distressing to find that over half my logs now have typos because I couldn't see what I was typing.

Sorry you're still having trouble. What's your browser? Cache URL (or is it all?), OS, screen resolution etc. This might be hard to repro.

This is log.aspx

I got a new phone. I no longer have this problem.

The only problem I have now is that the "Submit log" button is way off the right edge of the screen for some unknown reason; so now I have to scroll for 2 1/2 seconds to get to it. Or sometimes I forget and accidentally hit the "Go" button which brings up the "Unpublished cache" page which really confused me for a few minutes the first time it happened.

Also, I don't seem to be getting emails for logs I submit on caches that are on my watchlist. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be a new feature, but I don't like it because I use the watchlist sometimes to verify that my log went through properly when the website times out on me (or I lose a cell connection), so that I know whether I need to resubmit my log.

Bookmark rating rules: If, after receiving a minimum of 5 ratings, a bookmark has less than 50% favorable votes it will disappear from cache pages. This has always been the rule but it didn't work properly until now.

Unfortunately this still does not seem to work. Please see this bookmark list with 5 ratings (4 negative and 1 positive) and for example this cache, where it still is shown.

It needs to receive 5 negative reviews before it will disappear. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.

I've read the entire thread at one time or another and don't remember this being reported. After logging a cache that log comes up with a box at the bottom where you can add the WP of the next cache to be logged. Used to be when you clicked on that box the "GC" part of the waypoint stayed in the box. Now they are gone and need to be re-entered. It's not a big deal, but if you forget about the change and enter the WP without the GC prefix, more time is wasted getting the error page and starting over.

Mac OSX & Safari

Every cache I've logged since the update.

We removed the "GC" that was pre-populated in that field because in Internet Explorer it would jump the cursor to the beginning when you click it. That resulted in people accidentally searching for something like X34GC instead of GCX34.

For those having the problem with PDF's saving with no hint decryption, I simply bring up the page, click on decrypt, then in my browser (Safari) I select file, print, click on the PDF option and save it to my desktop. You'll get 5 logs automatically. If you want more (which could result in MANY pages) you can click the "view them all on one page" option before the above procedure. A workaround until the fine folks fix the code.

The other problem with PDF's is that when you want the 10 log PDF it puts all the logs on the first page. Nothing flows to the second page including the cache description, it just appears cut-off at the bottom of page 1.

MaitreMind

I can't repro this. Browser and example cache please? Thanks.

When I'm submitting a log, I can't even see what I'm typing half the time. That's kind of annoying.

Now that I've returned from two weeks of submitting logs on the road, I'd like to upgrade this to "really annoying". It's somewhat distressing to find that over half my logs now have typos because I couldn't see what I was typing.

Sorry you're still having trouble. What's your browser? Cache URL (or is it all?), OS, screen resolution etc. This might be hard to repro.

This is log.aspx

I got a new phone. I no longer have this problem.

The only problem I have now is that the "Submit log" button is way off the right edge of the screen for some unknown reason; so now I have to scroll for 2 1/2 seconds to get to it. Or sometimes I forget and accidentally hit the "Go" button which brings up the "Unpublished cache" page which really confused me for a few minutes the first time it happened.

Wait, are you talking about using your mobile browser? If so, unfortunately we aren't supporting anything outside the WAP site for mobile browsing. However, one of our devs has a goal to rewrite all the pages in a more mobile-friendly way.

Also, I don't seem to be getting emails for logs I submit on caches that are on my watchlist. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be a new feature, but I don't like it because I use the watchlist sometimes to verify that my log went through properly when the website times out on me (or I lose a cell connection), so that I know whether I need to resubmit my log.

As the author of a log you won't receive a notification. This includes caches and trackables, but we are looking at returning that feature since people got used to getting those emails.

It needs to receive 5 negative reviews before it will disappear. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Ah, okay. But still, then it only disappears from the front cache page but not from the "View all X bookmark lists..." page. Since there are always just 3 bookmark lists shown on the cache page itself this is of very limited use. ;)

As the author of a log you won't receive a notification. This includes caches and trackables, but we are looking at returning that feature since people got used to getting those emails.

Please don't! I always wondered what the purpose of getting my own logs by mail which I just wrote was. It's much better the way it is now!

Is there any chance that we will get back the java script decrypt soon?

Edited by London Rain

I'm also having a printing problem. I use the Simple (No Logs) option. When I print the page, there is nothing above the "Short Description" except for the IE page header. So cache name, coordinates, size, difficulty/terrain ratings don't print (even the disclaimer don't print ;)) This also happen when using the browser's print preview.

To print the missing parts, I have to change the print size from "shrink to fit" to 90% (size changes with cache page) or hide some images. However some images are needed (for a multi-cache).

I use WinXP Pro SP3 with IE Version 7.0.5730.11. Printer is a Canon MF3240 with 2.40 drivers. The problem can be seen on caches GC1F3X3 and GCQ86V. This does not happen on every cache page.

Please have a look on this issue.

Regards.

It's been about 3 1/2 weeks now since the site was updated, how about an update on what has been fixed and what we can expect to see fixed in the next week or so?

There are still problems using Firefox and being able to click on some of the links. Any prospects of things getting back to normal, soon?

Talk to us, please.

John

Things are normal here with Safari, Firefox, and IE. At least normal enough to geocache.

I am not receiving any email notifications that I've requested on my notifications page. Also, initially I had stopped receiving emails of caches that I logged (not a big deal) but over the last two days I have stopped receiving all notifications.

In addition, I don't think that I received last weeks weekly update email.

It's been about 3 1/2 weeks now since the site was updated, how about an update on what has been fixed and what we can expect to see fixed in the next week or so?

There are still problems using Firefox and being able to click on some of the links. Any prospects of things getting back to normal, soon?

Talk to us, please.

John

Things are normal here with Safari, Firefox, and IE. At least normal enough to geocache.

That's nice, but I am getting tired of having to use work-arounds for things that had worked prior to the Upgrade.

I did NOT change anything on our computers, yet there are links that do NOT work unless we increase font size to the absolute maximum possible and then change it back after clicking on the link! IE works fine, but Firefox is our default browser and it is the one that is having problems with this site. And it is this site only that it is not functioning properly!

When I get tired of having to use work arounds for something we have paid for, we will just quit paying. When the ease of use is gone then the fun is draining away and the reason for using the site is gone.

This site is starting to get as bad as that other caching site, as far as response to the paying customers and ease of use of the site - we quit that site for that very reason.

John

I did NOT change anything on our computers, yet there are links that do NOT work unless we increase font size to the absolute maximum possible and then change it back after clicking on the link! IE works fine, but Firefox is our default browser and it is the one that is having problems with this site. And it is this site only that it is not functioning properly!

Never seen this. Example?

I am not receiving any email notifications that I've requested on my notifications page. Also, initially I had stopped receiving emails of caches that I logged (not a big deal) but over the last two days I have stopped receiving all notifications.

In addition, I don't think that I received last weeks weekly update email.

Interesting - my email notifications seem to have resumed - only a few hours after I reported it. Maybe a coincidence, but I still appreciate it!

Edited by ciarmer

For those of us who have set increased the "minimum font size", the label "advertisement" overlays some spots, rendering them unclickable.

From responses from Groundspeak, they accept that this is changed behavior and intend to fix it.

I searched for my issue with the Geocahe Website and was directed here. I don't have time to read through all the pages so can someone tell me if any of the glitches/bugs have been corrected???? I like the new look and the only problem that I'm having is that the decrypt feature doesn't work when you try and print the PDF page.

I'm sure someone else here is having the same issue, and I want to know if and when it will be fixed. I haven't printed any out since this issue arose I have been handwriting the hint on a note pad.

Both of these pictures are screen shots cropped full width and sized to 700 pixels wide after cropping. They are from this PAGE.

ea726568-b3ed-4e90-9964-d392311ee01f.jpg

This size will not let us click on the radio button for "by designation".

1840a14d-9e9a-4312-9f83-266610d8a489.jpg

After increasing the font size I can then click on that radio button. I hold the 'control button on the keyboard and scroll the wheel until the font is large enough to let me select the correct button.

The same thing happens on other pages that are close to the "advertisement window". It overlaps some of the links and take precedences over the links on the main portion of the page.

John

What happens if you click directly on the text "by designation"? Doing so should also set the radio button.

Just tried that and found that I need to click on the "S" in "By Designation" or farther to the right for it to work. The "By De" does not allow clicking to set the button.

John

What happens if you click directly on the text "by designation"? Doing so should also set the radio button.

Just tried that and found that I need to click on the "S" in "By Designation" or farther to the right for it to work. The "By De" does not allow clicking to set the button.

John

This work around does NOT work for us when we go to "Our owned Items" and the list has a cache with a name of 10 characters or less. We cannot click on that cache when it is next to the "advertisement" at the top left of the page.

John

Ever since this release, I've been unable to view the trackables page on my phone (Symbian browser), as the "Recent Logs" overlaps where I'd expect the text entry forms (which seem to be missing). Similarly, browsing any cache list (example) comes up with most of the caches listed in the right-hand green margin.

I can't seem to reproduce this behavior by killing/ignoring certain CSS styles anywhere else, nor do I know how to take a screen shot on a Nokia Symbian-based phone. Yeah, I understand wap.geocaching.com is there, but most of the functionality and/or overall flow is missing, so it's not really that useful overall. I'd be happy to share screen shots if someone could help me with a means to achieve such as through PC Suite.

John

This work around does NOT work for us when we go to "Our owned Items" and the list has a cache with a name of 10 characters or less. We cannot click on that cache when it is next to the "advertisement" at the top left of the page.

John

2oldfarts, would you please post a screenshot of your Firefox settings for me? This is the window I'd like to see:

Select Tools > Options

Click Content tab

Click Advanced next to Default Font

... and screenshot the window that comes up. I was messing around with these settings and some interesting things happened to the page. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Any updates on the screen00420080826142309lz6.gif problem for special/international characters in notifications?

It's funny how the title and only part of the body is not showing properly but it seems ok a little bit futher down in the body

notificationproblemhg4.gif

Thanks!

We've got an open case for the email problems and expect to have a fix for the next release. This is a helpful screenshot though, thanks.

John

John

2oldfarts, would you please post a screenshot of your Firefox settings for me? This is the window I'd like to see:

Select Tools > Options

Click Content tab

Click Advanced next to Default Font

... and screenshot the window that comes up. I was messing around with these settings and some interesting things happened to the page. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Here's a screenshot of the options window.

9390b5ad-c060-42f2-9f22-d29fdaa6801b.jpg

And here's the screenshot for the advanced tab.

efa403da-c7e1-458d-9390-0fe647b6e999.jpg

Hope this helps find out what is going on.

John

We are now offering 4 different ways of purchasing a Premium Membership, with both PayPal and credit cards being accepted. PayPal no longer requires a subscription ID and both methods are instant. Any active PayPal (renewing) subscriptions will remain valid unless, or until, it is canceled for whatever reason.

PayPal

• $30 Annual Premium Membership (Non-Renewing)

Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)

• 1 Year Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $30 USD/Year
  • 1 Year Premium Membership - $30 USD/Year
  • 3 Month Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $10 USD/3 Months

I didn't really think to much about this until now....when it is time to renew my account again. I'm gathering from reading this that I can't send in a check anymore? For me, this was the easiest method.