Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

I may have missed something...and I did scan the last couple of pages and did not see any reference to this.

This morning before we headed out to do some caching we could see the Google map at the lower part of the page. Tonight there is a big blank space where it used to be.

This is both with Internet Explorer 7.0 and Firefox 2.0

Please advise

Thanks

Found a bug with url redirection. Basically no page works properly without the 'www'. The query string isn't passed through properly after the redirect.

works:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8a-063e161e7cb7

does not work:

http://geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.a...8a-063e161e7cb7

works:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=DY1408

does not work:

http://geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=DY1408

etc.

The log date doesn't always reflect the date from field note. It looks like the first log posted from the field note sets the date correctly, but subsequent field notes, with different days, doesn't change the date to the new date.

I am not receiving emails when I log finds or DNFs to items on My Watchlist. I've emailed the owners about them. They didn't receive the emails either.

I do receive emails when others submit logs for items on My Watchlist.

This is happening for:

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade

- geocaches that I've added to My Watchlist since the upgrade.

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade that I've removed from the list and readded before submitting logs.

:unsure:

I will look into this, but so far I am receiving all my watchlist emails. Can anyone else corroborate?

OK, I can corroborate this bug, just logged a dnf to a cache on my watchlist, no email.

I also noticed that since the update, I'm not getting the logs for my "personal" TB that I use for mileage tracking. I "drop" it in to each cache I find and then retrieve it. over 30 finds since the update, not one email.

I too can corroborate that this is happening to me as well, both on my watchlist and personal TB.

On my account page, I have a number of new caches in my list of "waiting for review".

Alongside the header for this list is a link to "view archived". When I click on this link it takes me to a list of all my logs. I'm not sure where it is supposed to take me, but I don't think it is to there!

I just noticed tonight all the picture links are broken on the site. This goes for any uploaded picture to GC.com. When I go and click on one all I get is a loading wheel.

Also the avatar's pic's are not working as well as the "stat" html code. I got an update from micrsoft on XP last night so maybe that could be the problem.

I don't know if that had been reported or not. If it has sorry about the second one. I tried to skim through and didn't see anything.

I also noticed the basic search page doesn't seem to let you click the buttons in Firefox 3.0.1... the error console would seem to say:

Error: GSPK.Geocode is undefined
Source File: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/
Line: 573

A side item is that the trackable item page is pretty much completely unreadable with a Synbian browser (Nokia E series - probably one of the better HTML-rendering phones I've seen). Again the error console spews forth a few dozen CSS errors (all on different lines) like:

Warning: Expected declaration but found '*'.  Skipped to next declaration.
Source File: http://www.geocaching.com/css/reset-fonts-grids.css
Line: 55

I am not receiving emails when I log finds or DNFs to items on My Watchlist. I've emailed the owners about them. They didn't receive the emails either.

I do receive emails when others submit logs for items on My Watchlist.

This is happening for:

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade

- geocaches that I've added to My Watchlist since the upgrade.

- geocaches that were on My Watchlist prior to the upgrade that I've removed from the list and readded before submitting logs.

:mad:

I will look into this, but so far I am receiving all my watchlist emails. Can anyone else corroborate?

Also I can corroborate, but there is even more.

I do not receive any mails form people contacting me through geocaching.com

Yes I did not change my email account, that is working fine.

best,

Zathras and his dog

Secondly, for those of you complaining about printing: go paperless and save a tree or two while you are at it.

Lastly, has anyone run into an issue with email notification not being received on your own trackable items? We have a couple of coins we use as mileage trackers and since the update we have not been getting the notifications when we "dip" them. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

-bnp

Just check the cache page for the trackable. Sure it is a bit of an inconvenience, but so is changing over to be paperless. No big deal, right?

John

I don't think you quite understand the concept. Paperless caching is about saving the earth for the future; it has nothing to do with checking something that already exists. There is no "changing over to paperless": you either do it or you don't. As for the TB issue, I move the coins personally so I know exactly where they are. I am making the point for the other 50,000 users who release bugs and coins that don't get notified.

Crawl back under your rock and stay there until you know what you are talking about.

Off topic but the thread has already gone there.. wondering if paperless is really an environmental improvement. "Batteryless" might have more of an impact.

Problem with when you print out a copy of any cache page it cuts off the left hand side of the page

The word Difficulty: ***** Terrain:*****

you can only read culty:***** Terrain:*****

So there is alot missing.

;) Do hope this printing issue is fixed soon. It is starting to take the fun we were having away from the game. :mad:

SHEESH! Isn't this the 'Electronic Age'?

There is no longer a need to print anything!

Take all the money you would have spent on paper and ink cartridges and get an older PDA to put the information on. You can get a decent PDA on EBay or Craigslist for about the same price as ONE SET of printer cartridges.

We've been in the motorized age for over 100 years and yet we still use horses as a viable means of transportation. As antiquated as it may seem, there is a culture who shuns the automobile and goes by horse and buggy. Not everybody is comfortable with going paperless. The font is too small, the screen is too small, carrying a laptop big enough to make it readable for some is too impractical for many reasons. Going paperless shouldn't be pushed as THE solution for everybody.

Secondly, for those of you complaining about printing: go paperless and save a tree or two while you are at it.

Lastly, has anyone run into an issue with email notification not being received on your own trackable items? We have a couple of coins we use as mileage trackers and since the update we have not been getting the notifications when we "dip" them. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

-bnp

Just check the cache page for the trackable. Sure it is a bit of an inconvenience, but so is changing over to be paperless. No big deal, right?

John

I don't think you quite understand the concept. Paperless caching is about saving the earth for the future; it has nothing to do with checking something that already exists. There is no "changing over to paperless": you either do it or you don't. As for the TB issue, I move the coins personally so I know exactly where they are. I am making the point for the other 50,000 users who release bugs and coins that don't get notified.

Crawl back under your rock and stay there until you know what you are talking about.

Off topic but the thread has already gone there.. wondering if paperless is really an environmental improvement. "Batteryless" might have more of an impact.

Certainly you must use a flashlight at least occasionally? :mad:

Generally spoken: good work, but we still miss a few things that have been there before:

the section on the my account page showing the inventory (trackables) doesn't remind us any longer if we have a TB or coin in possession for more than 14 days. This was a pretty good feature to overview which trackables have to be dropped first.

reloading the whole page when decrypting hints is rather disturbing, please return to the "old" way (issue has been posted by others, I know :mad: )

right-clicking on picture links (for example spoiler pics below description) results in loading the picture as overlay instead of opening the menu for saving, copying, printing etc. So at this time right-click and left-click on this link has the same effect: opening the picture

in the picture gallery a left-click on a picture which has been uploaded by cache owner (and only by owner; pictures from those who logged the cache are not affected) results in reloading the cache description instead of opening this picture

regards from Germany

Blinky Bill (Marco)

BTW, using Mozilla Firefox 3.0 (if some of the issues should be related to this browser only)

just to remind - UK postcodes are only resolving to the three first characters and not (as before) all 6 or 7 characters. Annoying but till its resolved - livable with.

Only seems to be doing even that rather intermittently, I'm afraid. Started by trying to search on B91 3BB, got the "location cannot be determined" error message, tried just "B91" and got the same thing (and nothing else), tried it again and got the same error message but then when I clicked Ok it returned the usual list of caches but centred on a point slightly different from the usual.

Sorry . . . I know intermittent faults are a pig to fix. ::o(

As regard the different versions of Intergit Exploder, it's probably worth being aware that quite a few people will be on here on their work PCs and hence won't have any choice in which browser they use!

Two things I've noticed, maybe already addressed:

1) 'archived' icon used for 'maintenance' icon (?)

see last two entries here.

2) on my account page, there sure is a lot of repetition, 'myname' did this; 'myname' did that; for each and every log entry. I like the way it is on the 'show all logs' page, much simpler.

Two things I've noticed, maybe already addressed:

1) 'archived' icon used for 'maintenance' icon (?)

see last two entries here.

Actually, one is for Archived (Jan 27) and the other one is for UnArchived (Jun 26). If you hoover your mouse over both traffic_cone.gif you will see that. There are no maintenance logs in that page.

With 674 replys to the release notes, I have to admit that I didn't take time to read them all to see if my problem has been discussed. :mad:

... but I noticed that the "Board Statistics ... We have 338,916 registered members" at the bottom of the forum opening page stopped being updated on 7/23/08. I routinely follow that number but I don't pay attention to the others with it to know if they are still working or not.

That's the only place where I saw the number of current geocacher accounts.

Nudecacher

2) on my account page, there sure is a lot of repetition, 'myname' did this; 'myname' did that; for each and every log entry. I like the way it is on the 'show all logs' page, much simpler.

Agreed! I know who I am and my caching handle does not have to be a hyperlink or in that list at all. I would be more satisfied to see 'myname' replaced with "you" (no hyperlink)

Also, on "My Account" it's a bit redundant to have the "view profile" and the "Profile Badge" right next to one another, no?

Agreed! I know who I am and my caching handle does not have to be a hyperlink or in that list at all. I would be more satisfied to see 'myname' replaced with "you" (no hyperlink)

Also, on "My Account" it's a bit redundant to have the "view profile" and the "Profile Badge" right next to one another, no?

Some people do not know that the Profile Badge is a clickable link, I like that tiny bit of reduandancy.

I dislike the utter repetition on my user name next to each and every log entry on my account's quick view, and next to each and every travel bug log entry on the same page over and over again and again ad nauseam. I'm going to have to re-write come of my programs to remove such utter nonsense.

But I think I see the reasoning behind it. Perhaps people do not know who they are :mad: , well perhaps family's with multiple accounts and so on can't look at the top right of ANY page to see who among them is currently logged in. I would perhaps try to 'remind' people by using a semi-transparent watermark background of my username on every page. Have to see if that's possibly HTML-wise.

Avatar squished: 75x75 pixels is the ideal height/width for avatars on the site. If you don't care to change your avatar it's really only yourself that has to view the mini-avatar on the homepage.

I made the mistake of updating my avatar, and it's not just squished on the homepage anymore. I guess I should have figured this limitation was inevitable, considering all of the other forums out there limit the avatar size to something like this. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Link to cache pages from google maps is not working.

On google maps when it shows caches you click on a cache that wish to see and all the happens

is (if you hover over you get name and GC No.) requesting cache description for about 2 seconds

then nothing thats it. The map and everything still works find you just can't get to the cache info or

page.

Okay, one more thing I noticed.

I logged an 'update coords' at one of my caches and had to edit the log soon after. I could not make the change with the new (now old) coords so I un-checked that option but coords were wanted for this log type so I edited my log and it wanted new coords so I un-checked the option... til finally my battery died.

Also I can corroborate, but there is even more.

I do not receive any mails form people contacting me through geocaching.com

Yes I did not change my email account, that is working fine.

Refering to post #663

Sorry about the confusion. I did have an error, but it appears to be on my side.

Everything is working fine now.

best,

Zathras and his dog

Some people do not know that the Profile Badge is a clickable link, I like that tiny bit of reduandancy.

I was suggesting removing the "Profile Badge" since 1) some do not know it is clickable link - so why bother with it? 2) it simply duplicates the info under My Account at the top of the RH column: Caches Found/Caches Hidden. And it's clear that the link "view profile" IS clickable.

<facetious>

Too bad the "My Account" page isn't user customizable like a Yahoo page or similar. Then everybody could be happy, eh?

</facetious>

I'm sure this has to do with the new subscription structure: I was charged by Paypal for my monthly renewal, and later that day I got an email saying my account had expired. I've emailed contact@Groundspeak.com and am waiting for a reply. I'm certain I can't be the only one experiencing this problem (and one other person seems to have the same problem in this thread).

Benchmarks

Download waypoint (.loc)

Clicking on download Open or Save results in a conversion from the Bennchmark PID to a GC number.

Example:

Downloading Benchmark SD0402 results in a waypoint for Geocache GC402.

XP Pro

IE 7

EasyGPS v 2.7.5

Has anyone mentioned that?

P.S. I like many of the changes. Like the small avatar detail box on the "My" page. Like other things too. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Team Sagefox

Losing interest fast with geocaching. When half the fun is online at GC.com and the site is not working properly. IT'S BEEN OVER A WEEK NOW and nothing is being done with all these complaints.

I know, right? If only Groundspeak had someone commenting in this thread, documenting bugs and giving occasional progress updates.

Ok, now that was sarcasm. :D

Benchmarks

Download waypoint (.loc)

Clicking on download Open or Save results in a conversion from the Bennchmark PID to a GC number.

Example:

Downloading Benchmark SD0402 results in a waypoint for Geocache GC402.

I hadn't seen this yet, so thank you for posting. How very odd... I'll see about it.

Edit: When I download the .loc file from either the benchmark page or from the search results this is what I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><loc version="1.0" src="EasyGPS"><waypoint><name id="SY3995">SY3995</name><coord lat="47.627931" lon="-122.343015" /><type>benchmark</type><link text="Benchmark Details">http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=SY3995</link></waypoint></loc>

I downloaded that in IE 7 with XP. Can you provide me with exact steps perhaps? It would also be helpful if you could attach the .loc file to an email and send it to contact@geocaching.com (with "c/o Nate" in the body or something). Thanks.

Edited by OpinioNate

Losing interest fast with geocaching. When half the fun is online at GC.com and the site is not working properly. IT'S BEEN OVER A WEEK NOW and nothing is being done with all these complaints.

Since you're probably unable to understand nate's sarcasm... What the hell are you talking about? Numerous bugs which have been reported and fixed from this thread.

-Ben

i dont know if this pertains to any of the newest releases...

but when i log onto www.geocaching.com the page loads differently (as it should because of the new format) but all the boxes at the far left are gone..its just a blank space...the clikable boxes ie..hide and seek, getting started, resources, forums, etc....the boxes and words are gone...but when i run the mouse over the area tiny words pop up next to the cursor and i clik and it will take me there...but the actual boxes and words have vanished....

i dont know about any other problems yet since i dont use alot of the items....yet.....

wanda texas

ie7.....windows vista....

i dont know if this pertains to any of the newest releases...

but when i log onto www.geocaching.com the page loads differently (as it should because of the new format) but all the boxes at the far left are gone..its just a blank space...the clikable boxes ie..hide and seek, getting started, resources, forums, etc....the boxes and words are gone...but when i run the mouse over the area tiny words pop up next to the cursor and i clik and it will take me there...but the actual boxes and words have vanished....

i dont know about any other problems yet since i dont use alot of the items....yet.....

wanda texas

ie7.....windows vista....

Turn off your firewall long enough to see if that fixes it. Let us know.

OK, my latest report:

Benchmark pages, look fine in IE6, but in Firefox 2.0 the navigation box on the right (with the map) extends too far down and overlaps the log text.

My /my/ page!

From a desktop comp (WinME, Firefox or IE...Win2000, Firefox or IE) my 'last 30 days' logs are truncated at 7/5/08, with one spurious log from 12/26/07 tagged onto the end.

From my mobile (Treo 680, Blazer 4.5), the Benchmark recoveries I logged on 6/24/08 are properly displayed, but the same cache log from 12/26/07 is still tagged onto the end of the list.

My formerly preferred 'Optimized Mode' (Treo 680, Blazer 4.5), is still useless after the 'upgrades', but luckily 'Wide Page Mode' is functional.

I used that script and it worked wonderfully. While you are dusting off that one can you please take a look at your script that put links to my logs up at the upper right corner of the cache pages? This new update has removed that functionality. If you can fix that one it would be great.

I haven't had time to create a page for it on my GM site, but the following link will install the script. Hints will be decoded in-line, without reloading the page. Only the cache hint is decoded (not encrypted logs). Line and paragraph breaks are retained. Special characters like an ampersand are handled without problems. Plain text in [brackets] is handled correctly.

Install Script

Obviously, you need to be using the Firefox browser, and need to have Greasemonkey installed first.

The Logs script is on my list-to-be-fixed, but it may be a little while.

THANK YOU! I loved the functionality of that script when you introduced it. I look forward to the day when you have enough free time to update the script flinking to our logs on the cache pages. You guys who do this stuff for free are amazing.

The PQ of my "Owned" caches is still not returning the correct number of caches although my stat bar shows the correct number.

EDIT . . . Sorry for the trouble . . . ;) I figured out the discrepancy in the number.

Edited by Miragee

You can no longer print out a decrypted hint with the comments for a geocache.

You can print a PDF file with comments but without a decrypted hint

OR

You can print a "simple no logs" with a decrypted hint but with no comments.

Why was this feature removed?

PLEASE bring it back.

Problem with when you print out a copy of any cache page it cuts off the left hand side of the page

The word Difficulty: ***** Terrain:*****

you can only read culty:***** Terrain:*****

So there is alot missing.

:huh: Do hope this printing issue is fixed soon. It is starting to take the fun were were having away from the game. :)

SHEESH! Isn't this the 'Electronic Age'?

There is no longer a need to print anything!

Take all the money you would have spent on paper and ink cartridges and get an older PDA to put the information on. You can get a decent PDA on EBay or Craigslist for about the same price as ONE SET of printer cartridges.

There is no longer a need to drive to caches! GET A HORSE.