Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

I will be monitoring this thread over the weekend, but I am not likely to post any updates (there won't really be any). Please continue letting us know of any issues, thanks!

Also, thanks for letting us know about the multi-tb icon. We have a new one ready to go for the next hotfix.

We still have the issue of not being able to click anything on the left side of "any Page" due to the 'advertisement' lapping over everything (just can't see it until you try to highlight). We are using 2 different computers - one with XP and the other with Vista and both using Fire Fox Browsers (not 3).

The advertisement on the left side of pages looks perfectly fine to me (doesn't overlap anything):

MacOS 10.4.11 Safari 3.1.2

Windows XP IE (6. something, I think)

The only workaround for this that I have found is to install FireFox 3 and just use it when I need to access and print from the geocaching.com site.

The reality is that FireFox printing is better....but far from perfect.

By the way, It would be nice, from time to time, to have a list of confirmed bugs that are currently being worked on. That should reduce the reduntant replies about the same issue.

Yep only Firefox works. IE cuts off everything on the left. The large font size is a waste of paper as well. Now I have more pages to print just to capture the logs. Although it makes no diff, I prefer the old style of printing much better.

And we still don't have maps printing!!! Why? This is an ongoing bug and was not fixed with this new release. Can we please have the map issue fixed so we can get them to print. Pretty please? half the fun of caching is getting to new areas and those maps sure do help!

I have been trying to update my avatar and signature today and it isn't working. I tried to use the register option that was given in the help files but that doesn't work either. Is it me or can we not update these at the moment?

I have been trying to update my avatar and signature today and it isn't working. I tried to use the register option that was given in the help files but that doesn't work either. Is it me or can we not update these at the moment?

I was able to update my avatar on the main site (GC.com), but not here on the forums.

1. When I have a Google map showing the geocaches and I click on a cache image the resulting bubble cache info window that appears scrolls the map in a direction that makes the bubble cache info window to go out of view where I have to grab the map and drag it so the cache info is visible.

I have been experiencing this issue for a couple weeks, off and on, using FireFox. It's annoying, but it's easily fixed - just drag the map and try again. It typically works fine after that.

Since one must use zipcodes to search could you add back the link to the USPS that used to exist next to the zipcode box?

On this page, in the address line, I can type "Plainfield, IL" and the results are centered on 41.618033, -88.202479.

I type 60544 (Plainfield's zip code) and it's centered at 41.616100, -88.219788 - less than a mile difference. Since I can type either a town name (anywhere in the world?) OR a zip code in the address field on the seek page, why would I even NEED a zip code field, let alone a link to the post office to know what the zip code is?

Thanks. I had tried a town or two and they didn't work. Maybe it was something else. If the city names work then, of course, no zipcode link is needed.

I was able to update my avatar on the main site (GC.com), but not here on the forums.

I had the same problem. I even went as far as to delete my old avatar from the rest of the them but still not working. I did visit the help files too and followed the link it had.

Using IE 7.06, Vista Home Premium, McAfee Internet Security 2008

Decrypting the hint in Javascript is hard .... Ultimately, programming is about a wide range of shades of grey

Totally agree about decrypting in JS being hard.

Umm decrypting this text in javascript is absolutely simple and it is so ridiculous this is even being discussed as a 'problem'. Some of us know the reality of this sort of thing.

Yeah, decrypting some text in JS 'live' and replacing a div - or multiple divs per-log, separately - is utter basics for anyone who does web development for a living.

I can see how a casual html hacker might think it is 'hard', though. In reality it's quite simple. GS doesn't even need to code it themselves, could even use someone else's code:

http://tornio.info/rot13.html (view source - js rot13 decoder, available as Public Domain) - rather than reading from a form, the gs version would read from a particular div (for example <div id="hint"> or <div id="log3"> "log4" etc) and replace the contents with the decrypted version.

The problem is caused because the hint can contain html and html-entities (for characters like & that are html special characters). Beyond this the html may be user provided (if they checked descriptions contain html) or added by the site if the hint was written in plain text (<br> or <p> added for line breaks, and maybe the site also allows bbcode - I'm not certain). Also any part of the hint between brackets [ and ] is not encrypted. I don't think there is a public domain rot13 javascript code that handles all these case. You're right that any good Javascript programmer could write the code - so long as they did the analysis of all the combinations of html, html-entities, and bracketed code they had to handle - it is not as trivial as you think. Or you could create two divs - one encrypted and one decrypted - and just change the visibility style of each to show one or the other as paleolith suggested.

Edited by tozainamboku

Tried to show a friend the geocaching site this afternoon and the page would not build properly. I was using my Mac G4 at work, with OS 9.2.2 and IE 5.1.

Yes, I know OS 9.2.2 and IE 5.1 are ancient for Macs, but I was still able to use the site. As this is my main work machine (I use some software that would cost a bazillion dollars for Windows, so I continue to use my Mac licenses), and I watched for newly approved caches from it. Now I won't be able to chase FTFs on my lunchhour or after work :-(

On the plus side, I just checked out the site on XP Home with IE 6.something, and the improvements look good so far. I love the login in the upper right corner. I've always thought this is where it belongs.

Checked out my profile and it looks OK. My <LI> list now double-spaces, so I need to check my HTML to see if I can fix it. So far, looks prettg good. Will try Garmin load to GPS later ...

Edited by Fuzzywhip

We still have the issue of not being able to click anything on the left side of "any Page" due to the 'advertisement' lapping over everything (just can't see it until you try to highlight). We are using 2 different computers - one with XP and the other with Vista and both using Fire Fox Browsers (not 3).

So, when we go to our list of caches - Our owned items, the second one down is Archie. We cannot go to that cache page at all. Also, the benchmark home page, as I have stated before, under "other search options" "Find a Benchmark". We cannot click any of those tiny buttons at all due to this overlapping and therefore not allowed access to anything of value on this page at all.

Let me add to this, since I think I am having the same or similar problems:

On "View Bookmark Lists" I cannot click on the green check at the top of the boxes or the boxes for the first 2 bookmarks listed.

On "My Pocket Queries" I cannot click on the top box or the boxes on the left of the first 2 pocket queries.

On Geocaching.com Google Maps I cannot click on anything on the map slider bar. Not the + or -. I can't grab the slider and drag it. I can't click on any intermediate point to change the map size that way. (Which makes any kind of viewing on these maps pretty useless.)

It's not clear to me that there is any "advertisement" overlap with these spots, but since multiple screens have the same problem in the same area, I suspect there is a common thread.

[Edited to add: I can experiment with where the dead-zone is on the Google Maps because it also prevents clicking on the caches in this area. It is associated with the advertisement. The label "Advertisement" is sized such that the "ment" is on the map. Caches at the same horizontal level as the advertisement (at the bottom and all the way to the top of the map) and within about "6 characters" of the left of the map (at the size of used in "Advertisement") cannot be clicked on. ]

Navigator/9.0.0.6

1280x1024 pixels

Edited by beejay&esskay

FYI - I'm using IE 7.0.5730.11 with a 17" monitor (Resolution set at 1024x768) and Windows XP Home Edition (fully patched) and have absolutely no problems remaining that I've found that impacts functionality. I have no overlapping text, no squished avatar, no links that cannot be accessed.

One thing I've noticed, though (and I don't remember it ever being mentioned) is the cursor control over the second map on a cache page (the more zoomed one). the cursor doesn't change to a "pointing hand" like the other one does. So, unless you know it's a hot zone, you don't know to click. Once you learn that, it's not an issue, though

Have a few things I'd like rearranged somewhat but those are driven by my preferences - like the order of the sections on the right side of the My Details page. But that isn't a topic of this thread. I'll wait until a redesign suggestion thread arises.

Printing: Although I rarely print anything anymore, I tested anyway ('cause I do print puzzle cache pages and new caches that I'm trying for FTF)). HP Printer via wireless print server.

"Simple (No Logs)" - No problems. Both encrypted and decrypted were fine. Hints printed properly when decrypted.

PDF - Only problems with all three PDF options is that the hint won't be decrypted when the PDF is generated, even if you decrypt it before generating the PDF. And the decryption key is printed but is formatted to run off the right side of the frames (still on the paper though). If the "Additional Hints" box were made three lines shorter, there would be enough room to move the key below the "Decryption Key (letter above equals below...) Or delete that instruction altogether - we all know that.

Driving Directions: Great New Feature!!! Will be perfect for FTFinders!

Redundancy issue with the "Hello" box and the Profile Badge: A non-issue really. Personally, I like the new box but it does take away from usable space in that "workspace column" and pushes the needed links below the screen, depending on which ones you use most often. It is redundant to have a log out link in that box as well as the top title bar, though. I think standard practice is to put it in the top title bar anyway (at least that's where I look first for it on all other sites).

My Logs Page: I think you can do away with my caching name for every log entry and replace it with "You ..." since it's all about me anyway!! This would reduce the number of line wraps that occur, thus making the page longer than necessary. I pity those cachers that chose extremely long caching names!! I know one that has a 17 character name!! The name of each cache drives the wrap anyway - longer cache names force a wrap.

You guys have been absolutely great in responding to all the whining going on with this release. Heck, it's only been two days since the release and almost everything is fixed (at least for those things that impact functionality - well, my functionality anyway). I've been caching for the last two days and none of the problems have impacted my logging or caching at all.

Bookmark list and Pocket Query pages are fully functional - no problems with the check boxes.

Oh, and thanks for putting the friend's info back. Didn't realize what I liked about that until it was gone.

Edited to add resolution info

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Ok, so I went to look for some caches to go caching today and found that when I enter in my sip code and them the distance and click "Go" NOTHING HAPPENS.

I tried this w/ various numbers and got nothing.**

**This was in Mozilla Firefox

When I tried to do it in Internet Explorer, it worked.

Could you please make this compatible with Firefox?!?!?! :rolleyes::blink::antenna:

So, when we go to our list of caches - Our owned items, the second one down is Archie. We cannot go to that cache page at all. Also, the benchmark home page, as I have stated before, under "other search options" "Find a Benchmark". We cannot click any of those tiny buttons at all due to this overlapping and therefore not allowed access to anything of value on this page at all.

Let me add to this, since I think I am having the same or similar problems:

On "View Bookmark Lists" I cannot click on the green check at the top of the boxes or the boxes for the first 2 bookmarks listed.

On "My Pocket Queries" I cannot click on the top box or the boxes on the left of the first 2 pocket queries.

On Geocaching.com Google Maps I cannot click on anything on the map slider bar. Not the + or -. I can't grab the slider and drag it. I can't click on any intermediate point to change the map size that way. (Which makes any kind of viewing on these maps pretty useless.)

It's not clear to me that there is any "advertisement" overlap with these spots, but since multiple screens have the same problem in the same area, I suspect there is a common thread.

[Edited to add: I can experiment with where the dead-zone is on the Google Maps because it also prevents clicking on the caches in this area. It is associated with the advertisement. The label "Advertisement" is sized such that the "ment" is on the map. Caches at the same horizontal level as the advertisement (at the bottom and all the way to the top of the map) and within about "6 characters" of the left of the map (at the size of used in "Advertisement") cannot be clicked on. ]

Navigator/9.0.0.6

1280x1024 pixels

Here is a cropped screen shot with the red arrow pointing to the overlap problem. I was able to show this by highlighting the word advertisement.

aa6b1b99-68fb-41ba-b3f1-d47916512600.jpg

This is in Firefox 2.0.0.9 with a screen resolution of 1280 X 960.

This overlap is preventing using any of the buttons on that side of the page.

John

This may not be a bug, may be a feature" I didn't see listed or this may be something client side that just correlates to the site change.

Under "For online maps"

Geocaching.com Google Map

Map now always opens in terrain view. Used to always open in map(street) view.

Has anyone beta'ed this on a Blackberry tho? While the color combos are much better now, the fonts are huge, nearly full screen using a default BB theme. Certainly could use some formatting help.

Thanks.

-Roger

Edited by CCrew

There doesn't seem to have been any response about the postcode problem, which is one of the most serious outstanding issues (at least for UK users, who are numerous!). Perhaps an example would help;

63c53680-f25e-4a6b-8b46-a0afdcc6a49b.jpg

The lower image is what you get when requesting a valid GB postcode. The map is actually the correct area (although a mile or so out), and was requested using "IM9 6ET" on the Advanced Search page then "Search for caches with Google Maps".

Apart from being somewhat north of the correct part of town (it seems that the "6ET" part is ignored), the map suggests that it's a featureless wilderness (although I like the contours!). The Google map above ("Rowany Golf Club" etc.) is of the same area.

The error box ("A location for...") was generated by putting "IM9 6ET" in the "Zoom to Address" box here, and this is the same problem as on the "Hide and Seek" page.

This is a new problem since the upgrade so I assume it's related. I changed my home coords recently and everything has been fine until now. Now the map shows my home location fine, PQs seems to work fine, but email notifications of new caches are working off my old home coords. So a cache listed 4.1 miles away was actually over 20 miles away.

Like some others have mentioned - The "Send to GPS" function seems to have been broken with the update. I have been using this feature for months - so I am not a new user, and I did download and (re)install the latest version of the plug-in when the problem first appeared. Both before, and after the download I get the same error message - Only Garmin GPS units are supported. Needless to say, I am attempting to connect to a Garmin GPS (Colorado 400t). Hopefully this useful function will be restored soon. Thanks for the hard work.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the profile widget (displays your avatar, account creation date etc. in the upper right) will now correctly update your find count each time you log a cache, instead of when you start a new session.

When will you modify the resize code to remove the fixed 75x75 and replace it with proportional resizing only?

Here is a cropped screen shot with the red arrow pointing to the overlap problem. I was able to show this by highlighting the word advertisement.

John

This does work for me in IE7.

I discovered another place where Advertisement size causes problems...can't select any of the 3 options for a bookmark list.

I know some people are sick of hearing about non-Groundspeak workarounds for some of these problems, but for those who aren't: I have AdBlock Plus installed, and it does get rid of this particular issue.

(I first installed to able to selectively block certain forum avatars from showing, but have found that it also clears up lots of problems caused by ad overlap on many websites, not just this one.)

I know some people are sick of hearing about non-Groundspeak workarounds for some of these problems, but for those who aren't: I have AdBlock Plus installed, and it does get rid of this particular issue.

(I first installed to able to selectively block certain forum avatars from showing, but have found that it also clears up lots of problems caused by ad overlap on many websites, not just this one.)

Thank you, but we shouldn't need to use any other programs to correct a layout problem here at GC.

Just a few quick notes. Of the release updates, you indicate:

Removed find and hide count from friends list

I'm still seeing the find count on my friends page, and thank god. That's about the most useful part of that page, so for the love of all things holy, please don't remove it. I use the friend page to keep an eye on when friends find a new cache, so I keep a mental note of if their number goes up. This is unfortunately not the best method either, since I can't always remember what their old values where. It shows when they last logged into the site, but that's nigh-useless if they didn't log anything.

Is there any chance that the friend page could have a "last cache found: July 14" indication for example? That would be significantly more useful.

Secondly, it wasn't listed in the release updates, but what are the odds that when an event is complete (ie: it was scheduled for say... June 30, and it would STILL show up in a PQ until a full month AFTER it's over). I mean yes, it's obviously good to have it there for about 30 days prior (or I guess whenever it's published), but seriously... absolutely NOONE needs that waypoint for weeks on end after the event is over. The day after perhaps I can see on the offhand chance for people wanting to clean up, but after that there's no point in it.

Otherwise, the site itself looks awesome. I don't know what everyone is talking about with squished pictures or mangled views or whatnot... everything is working absolutely perfect for me.

Then again, I'm running Firefox inside Linux, so I don't have all the usual Windows and IE problem. Seriously people... if it's not showing up right, stop using IE... or at the bare minimum, stop using IE6 or lower. It's not even remotely standards-compliant.

EDIT: One more thing... is there any chance the 'decrypt' thing can be updated to not refresh the entire webpage? If you decrypt a hint, it'll refresh the entire page and scroll it back up to the top, so you have to scroll back down again to actually see what you decrypted. It's a dozen times worse if someone has decrypted a part of their log entry. If there's a lot of entries, you get to click 'decrypt', have the entire page refresh again, which scrolls it to the top, so now if there's like... a hundred logs, you get to scroll all the way the hell back down again until you find the log you had decrypted. It's quite frustrating if all you're trying to decrypt is like... two or three words. It USED to work such that it would just instantly decrypt, no refreshing, no scrolling, it's just... there. What ever happened to that?

Edited by Kabuthunk

Seriously people... if it's not showing up right, stop using IE... or at the bare minimum, stop using IE6 or lower. It's not even remotely standards-compliant.

If most of the computers in use are using IE why does everyone say that it is Not standards-compliant? That seems to be the same as saying IE is abnormal and all the rest are the normal browsers or VHS format is not standards-compliant, but Beta-Max was.

Who determines what is or isn't standards-compliant?

John

Seriously people... if it's not showing up right, stop using IE... or at the bare minimum, stop using IE6 or lower. It's not even remotely standards-compliant.

If most of the computers in use are using IE why does everyone say that it is Not standards-compliant? That seems to be the same as saying IE is abnormal and all the rest are the normal browsers or VHS format is not standards-compliant, but Beta-Max was.

John

Actually, the comment was that IE6 or lower is non-standards compliant. IE7 is. If you're using IE6 or lower you should either upgrade to IE7 or make the switch to Firefox.

So, really to put all this into your analogy: People using IE6 or older are trying to use their VHS machine to play a DVD.

For Firefox (1.5 higher I believe), you can create a userContent.css file with the following contents to fix the purple links.. You can adjust to your colours, I'm still mucking with it a little myself, but at least my eyes aren't throbbing anymore.

Google if you need to find out where this goes on your OS. In Linux, it's ~/.mozilla/firefox/[somerandomprofilename]/chrome/

@-moz-document domain("geocaching.com") {

a:visited{

color: #336666 !important;

}

a:visited:hover {

opacity: .6 !important;

color: #336666 !important;

}

}

If you use the Stylish extension in Firefox, you can pull in this easily here.. http://userstyles.org/styles/9084

Edited by khaytsus

Quick update:

A moment ago we too the site down for a few changes. We're bringing back the find/hide count on the Friend's List page since so many of you are missing it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned my poor choice of words when I said it "never" worked right. They are correct, it was only some counts that were off. From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently. Since we didn't have time to fix it we simply removed it, but in this case perhaps the missing feature did more harm than having a semi-broken feature visible on the site. So the hide/find count is back on the Friend's List.

Thank you so much for adding the finds/hides count back to the My Friends boxes AND returning the My Inventory to the right column! Thanks for listening. You folks do a great job.

This is because you have zoomed in (enlarging everything on the page that is not fixed by the style sheet).

Press CTRL-0 (zero at the top of keyboard, not on the numpad) and everything should go back to normal.

When I go to the description page for a TB that I've been watching, I'm allowed to add it to my watch list (again), but removing it is no longer an option. The same thing happens with Geocoins. I've had the same results with Firefox 2.0.0.16 and IE 7.0.5730.11 using Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 SP 2 Build 2600.

By the way, LOVE the driving directions.

Edited by pezCollector

In the past, when I posted a log entry to a cache on my watchlist, I would get an e-mail of that posting. Now I don't. I don't see this as a problem, but I wasn't expecting the change and didn't see it on the list of changes.

Edited by pezCollector

World Wide Web Consortium

Too off-topic to get into here.

2. A mobile friendly version of the site would be helpful (i.e. mobile.geocaching.com)

It doesn't get much cleaner or easier than wap.geocaching.com. I use this on my Motorola Q all the time.

If all you want is the co-ordinates and the last five logs, in a text-only format, the wap site is great.

Some of us like a few more features.

The non-wap site worked fine before the recent changes, and those of us who were using it successfully want it back the way it was.

i noticed that this issue has not REALLY been addressed. i have been trying to give myself an avatar in the forums. i've tried just about everything. i can't get it to work. on gc.com it shows that i have an avatar and signature. however, the register link in the forums won't work. it just sends me back to the Groundspeak forums home. it's getting really frustrating as it has been a problem all week for me.

i noticed that this issue has not REALLY been addressed. i have been trying to give myself an avatar in the forums. i've tried just about everything. i can't get it to work. on gc.com it shows that i have an avatar and signature. however, the register link in the forums won't work. it just sends me back to the Groundspeak forums home. it's getting really frustrating as it has been a problem all week for me.

The issues mentioned in this thread are being addressed based on priorities assigned by Groundspeak. The developers can only do so many fixes in a day. The print issue, the avatar issue and others mentioned in this forum are being addressed. Some will have to wait their turn in line. Just because a persons particular problem has not been addressed by name does not mean its not being addressed. We ask your patience as this all gets sorted out.

Thank you,

Michael LaPaglia

Community Relations Specialist

Groundspeak, Inc.

www.geocaching.com

Looked at a couple print previews and they appear unusable.

Things have gone from bad to worse when it comes to printing cache pages. NO map printed and now only the right hand side of the page prints....beginning to feel like I will have to hand write any info I want from a cache page :rolleyes:

Edited by sylds

This is because you have zoomed in (enlarging everything on the page that is not fixed by the style sheet).

Press CTRL-0 (zero at the top of keyboard, not on the numpad) and everything should go back to normal.

Not true in my case. (But thanks for the effort.)

This was OK in previous releases.

Not true in my case. (But thanks for the effort.)

This was OK in previous releases.

I agree, no help there. Still broken. :rolleyes:

Shirley~

The problem is caused because the hint can contain html and html-entities (for characters like & that are html special characters). Beyond this the html may be user provided (if they checked descriptions contain html) or added by the site if the hint was written in plain text (<br> or <p> added for line breaks, and maybe the site also allows bbcode - I'm not certain). Also any part of the hint between brackets [ and ] is not encrypted. I don't think there is a public domain rot13 javascript code that handles all these case. You're right that any good Javascript programmer could write the code - so long as they did the analysis of all the combinations of html, html-entities, and bracketed code they had to handle - it is not as trivial as you think. Or you could create two divs - one encrypted and one decrypted - and just change the visibility style of each to show one or the other as paleolith suggested.

It's not really that hard. I know, because I wrote one a few years ago - a Greasemonkey script. I removed it from my distribution site when GC incorporated it. But it's not nearly as hard as you describe, because you're working directly with DOM elements. Just pull out the text nodes, and you don't have to worry about line breaks, etc. The only real trick is keeping track of the [plain-text], but that's a simple operation of toggling the encryption on and off.

I've still got the script on file somewhere. I'll dust it off and see if I can get it working with the new site.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I appologize in advance if this has already been discussed. However, my computer is so old it takes forever to scroll through every post. I scanned through and didn't see it.

When I first noticed the new look of geocaching.com, I was VERY EXCITED to see that I could now search for caches by entering a CITY and STATE. I tried this and it worked great. The next day, I tried this again and it wouldn't search by city. When I tried I was redirected to the advanced search and I had to enter the zip code. Now I notice that there is no option to enter City and State. The only option I see is to "Enter your postal code."

I would love it if geocaching.com could keep the city and state search option. It makes it much easier than having to search for all the zip codes first.

If there is a way to search by city and state that I just have missed, someone please let me know.

Out caching with PDA (Vario II) very hard to add finds online. All 3 views (one column, Fit to page etc) have page really spread and hard to find anything.

Also printing misses left hand side of page (already reported). PDF missed important graveyard detail to be obtained! And no option for clue decrypted.

I dont mean to be rude, but as an ex-programmer, I have to ask if proper testing on different peoples' PCs were done? Was there a beta test with our own members which surely would have picked up on many of these problems?

Internet Explorer 6.xxxx SP2.

Those who complain about stuff being at the very bottom of the page (like trackables) - don't scroll down, just hit the "END" key to go to the end of the page. It's over by HOME which takes you to the top of the page.

I'm not sure I like anything about the new site, but will list only a few things.

This is not pretty - it's ugly and unreadable.

726cfbdb-c512-4b9d-bb87-819ed3ca0273.jpg

Hints once just de-crypted right in front of you, now they reload the page which displays at the top often with the hint down a few scrolls. With GC.com that reload can take awhile sometimes.

Not overly fond on the font changes on /MY/ or other pages, but I'm just a curmudgeon on this one I guess.

Have to emphasize the ugly Avatar and information pictured and also the de-crypt stuff. One would not call those upgrades unless one works for Microsoft (then it would be typical).