Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

I've read several pages of this thread, but I just don't have time to read them all, so perhaps someone can answer this for me. What happened to the summary of "logs by me" at the top of each cache page? And will it be back?

Logs by me is part of the log summary greasemonkey script by Prime Suspect. He will have to fix the script for it to work.

Since one must use zipcodes to search could you add back the link to the USPS that used to exist next to the zipcode box?

On this page, in the address line, I can type "Plainfield, IL" and the results are centered on 41.618033, -88.202479.

I type 60544 (Plainfield's zip code) and it's centered at 41.616100, -88.219788 - less than a mile difference. Since I can type either a town name (anywhere in the world?) OR a zip code in the address field on the seek page, why would I even NEED a zip code field, let alone a link to the post office to know what the zip code is?

Don't want to rock the boat but since things are being re-vamped, any possibility to get the list of MINE under CACHES for MY ACCOUNT could have an option to display in ALPHABETICAL order rather then sorted by LAST FOUND date? Us owners of several hundred caches often have to pull up our own cache listings for various reasons and it would be really nice to get an alphabetical list rather then having to call them up and then do a SEARCH in IE7. Even caches in a series with typical name beginings are all over the screen since the only sort option is by date last found. Humbly asking.... :D

And I sure as heck don't envy you guys right now :D Good luck and happy caffeination

610x.jpg

Two things I noticed:

Second, decrypting/encrypting a hint now completely reloads the page. Being able to do this on the fly was handy.

I also get a JavaScript error when I hit Decrypt:

<a id="Encrypt" onclick="return decryptTheHint(this);" href="./cache_details.aspx?pf=&guid=a47ac02f-87d7-49f3-bb5d-405aaeb80c0b&decrypt=y&log=y&numlogs=">Decrypt</a>

Since one must use zipcodes to search could you add back the link to the USPS that used to exist next to the zipcode box?

On this page, in the address line, I can type "Plainfield, IL" and the results are centered on 41.618033, -88.202479.

I type 60544 (Plainfield's zip code) and it's centered at 41.616100, -88.219788 - less than a mile difference. Since I can type either a town name (anywhere in the world?) OR a zip code in the address field on the seek page, why would I even NEED a zip code field, let alone a link to the post office to know what the zip code is?

Yes the address and zip searches are both working again, but the comments made here were accurate at the time they were made. Page up one or two pages.

This is just me being whiny and OCD, but on the GC Google map, the filters box isn't sorted correctly:

filters.JPG

I'm on XP, 1440x900 screen.

Note that it's the same with 1280x1024 - same machine, different monitor.

I also would love to see the friends find counts back, but I'm more than happy to wait until it gets fixed. (As noted on page 2)

As has been noted previously in this thread, if I was the one working on this code, I'd probably be curled up in a ball, crying, while my computer was a smoking ruin in another room.

Keep up the good work!

How can I find events now?

Before we could goto whatever state and they would appear for us.

I miss that.

This has been answered several times, but a couple more people have asked so I'll attempt it again:

Go to the "Hide & Seek A Cache" Page.

Towards the top left are two different drop down menus that let you search by state.

The top state search takes you to a state page that shows all the upcoming events at the top, and then all the geocaches in that state from newest to oldest.

The bottom state search takes you to a state page that shows you different searches: city, events, and recent travel bug logs.

That's all well and good, but, it begs the question Why was it considered a good thing to move that functionality off the main page. Its the same as the issue for those of us in other countries. Yes, I can use my postal code, but, what's more useful is the ability to see all of the upcoming events in my province in a list followed by the new caches. It s that list that people wondering about US states are asking for and used to have easily.

Although I mostly like the update, making us drill down a couple for information that was available from top level makes the site less efficient to us and thus is a step backward IMHO. Telling us that we can find it in a more awkward way doesn't address or resolve the issue.

JD

Hi there,

I am completely shocked about all these problems using geocaching.com. I am preparing a few days of caching in Chicago - two days ago everything works without problems - today even the search seems to be broken down!

Typing the cities name like "Chicago" or "Schiller Park" in the box and klick "go" has no result, how can I find the caches any more?

Using the hint decrypt doesn't only translate the hint but refresh the complete page so I have to begin on top of the page again.

Printing the pdf with 5 logs and the DECRYPTED hint isn't working any more, the hint is decrypted in the pdf although it was decrypted in the cache description before.

And last problem - I miss the pictures of my coins!!! Where are they gone? - edit - only some pictures seem to be missing...

Help please, I will fly to Chicago next Tuesday and want to prepare some more caches for the trip!

Anne

Using the hint decrypt doesn't only translate the hint but refresh the complete page so I have to begin on top of the page again.

Printing the pdf with 5 logs and the DECRYPTED hint isn't working any more, the hint is decrypted in the pdf although it was decrypted in the cache description before.

Just noticed that tonight, very annoying.

Edited by nmigodbey

Nordic Letters is not shown right

After the upgrade, the Nordic letters, e.g. Æ, Ø and Å (æ, ø and å) is not shown right in the automatic generated email to owner of a listing. It is also wrong in the Groundspeak Weekly Notification mail.

Examples (added space between & and # for the letter code to be shown here on the forum):

ø are shown as: & #248;

å are shown as: & #229;

æ are shown as: & #230;

Edited by Catch

When some pages, like profile pages, have images on the right hand side of the page, I cannot see the left 1/4 of the page, and there is no scroll bar on the bottom of the page. Edit to note that I am looking at them with AOL 9.0 on Windows XP

Edited by Dwoodford

[*]Removed find and hide count from friends list

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :D

P.S. Also just noticed that my avatar pic displays on GC.com, but it is "squished". Does it require different formatting than in the forums?

:D:D:D

I feel the same way. It was a grate way to see how my friends where caching.

:D:D:D

Hope you put it back in. :D

Sorry if this is a repost of a problem...

When inserting a link in a log, the href-tag made around "visit link" doesn't link to to the entered URL. However when downloading the .gpx-file for the cache, the link is correctly entered in the log-section.

Exampel: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LID=49118349

"visit link" should link to http://www.bane.dk/visNyhed.asp?artikelID=7361 and not http://www.geocaching.com/seek/ as it does at the moment.

Y.s

Thomas

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :D

I really liked that feature!

me too. this was the best - return monday morning and see the face of the others "Did you do anything else than caching last weekend?!" - so please bringt it back!!

First of all I have to say that I like the new design and layout better. Thanks for the good work.

Two things I really don't like:

1. The missing friends counter. I read the note by Groundspeak and I understood that the counter did not work properly sometimes.

But it was okay for me (!) when the number wasn't exactly correct down to one or two caches. I just wanted to get a quick glance at what my friends were doing over the weekend. In the current state the friends page is pretty much useless. So I would prefer a slightly wrong counter over "none-counter-at-all" :D Please bring it back soon.

2. As already stated the refresh of the page after decrypting is a step back in usability as the top of the page is shown after the refresh. So I have to scroll down again which is not "state-of-the-art" regarding website usability.

As I use(d) these features very often the the missing features make GC harder to use for me. I am not a programmer but it's hard to understand why a step backwards was necessary instead of taking more time and to do it right. To me it's a strange product strategy.

In general I appreciate the good work of GC though. And I liked that they replied to the comments in the forum pretty quickly. Thanks! :D

Postcodes don't work on the "Hide and Seek" page, but seem OK on Advanced Search.

Just for clarification, we're talking UK postcodes here.

Actually I have just tried entering my postcode (HR4 8JH) in both places mentioned by Happy Humphrey and while the two results do differ (why?), the cache in my own garden is consistently just over 4 miles away :D

Ah yes: UK (and Isle of Man) postcodes. Using the "Hide and Seek" page gives no results for my postcode (just a box to say that the location can't be identified). Using the Advanced Search gives results which seem to be about a mile out.

There seems to be a problem with the HTML on the "Find/For Online Maps" section. For instance, here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5f-e62056a168ac and here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...80-04fd97208bb9 and here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-88a375b07839

The "For online maps" text links to Waymarking.

m99auu.jpg

The bug in the code is below:

all nearby <a href="http://www.Waymarking.com/directory.aspx?f=1&lat=38.927800&lon=-9.005917">waymarks on Waymarking.com</a></li></ul></span>

[color=#CC0000]<a href="http://www.Waymarking.com/directory.aspx?f=1&lat=38.927800&lon=-9.005917">			</a></p>
<a href="http://www.Waymarking.com/directory.aspx?f=1&lat=38.927800&lon=-9.005917">			</a><p class="list-maps">
<a href="http://www.Waymarking.com/directory.aspx?f=1&lat=38.927800&lon=-9.005917">				[/color]<span id="MapText"><strong>For online maps...</strong><br></span>

(edit: can't change the color on text on a "code" box - but there are additional links to the Waymarking site with anchor text set to a bunch of spaces and then a anchor with no closing </a>)

There are other caches that are not affected by this, such as this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8c-b55137513547 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...99-96dcaf508f1f

Edited by btrodrigues

Hi - looks good.

The resolution for searches in the UK to filter on regions is a nice little addition. But, the first time I've used it to download details of a relatively new series in my area for caching tomorrow, I found an anomaly....

GC1EC20 Henlow Camp - The Final One (Region : East Midlands)

GC1EC2F Henlow Camp - The Flat One (Region : East of England)

GC1EC48 Henlow Camp - The Devious One (Region : East Midlands)

GC1EC2R Henlow Camp - The Usual One (Region : East Midlands)

All the caches are within a couple of kilometres of each other. Initially I thought; "oh, that's interesting, the regional boundary bisects the cache set" but then saw that GC1EC2F is the most northwesterly of the 4 cache locations which should give it a greater likelihood of being considered as in "East Midlands" and a lower likelihood of being considered as in "East of England". The Regional Boundary is to the NW of the set.

Not a big deal but would be interesting to see if regional misclassifications are occurring more generally.

GC1EC2F is located in Bedfordshire which is located in the East of England Region, so correctly located. The regions are still very new so people are on a learning curve. If you come across a cache listed in the wrong Region, a quick email to the cache owner will help rectify this.

You'll find a proper discussion of the UK Regions Here in the UK Forum including a link to the discussion about which counties should be used, and why we ended up with Regions instead. Which came about after a discussion between the UK and Ireland Reviewers .

2. As already stated the refresh of the page after decrypting is a step back in usability as the top of the page is shown after the refresh. So I have to scroll down again which is not "state-of-the-art" regarding website usability.

Decrypting the hint in Javascript is hard because there's HTML in there which has been added by the site's ASP code, so the JS has to be able to handle whatever tags, formatting, "&...;" character encoding, etc, which that code might add. And that ASP code may well involve calling library code which Groundspeak doesn't own or have access to, so enumerating all the possible HTML items to be handled is not simple.

As an exercise, I wrote the code to fix the "&" problem (if the hint contains an "&" then it becomes "&" and the hint gets longer every time you encrypt/decrypt), but then I hit the "<BR>" versus "<P>" problem which caused the old code to mess up when the hint contained empty lines.

As I use(d) these features very often the the missing features make GC harder to use for me. I am not a programmer but it's hard to understand why a step backwards was necessary instead of taking more time and to do it right. To me it's a strange product strategy.

As has been mentioned, the intention is apparently to fix the decryption issue later. I guess it's a judgment call as to whether you implement a band-aid first and then the full solution later, rather than waiting; that call will depend on a lot of things. (For the friends' finds counter, I have no idea, I've never used it.)

Ultimately, programming is about a wide range of shades of grey, whereas release management is about a series of very binary decisions. Where those two meet, friction inevitably results, especially when you know that tens of thousands of people will, quite legitimately, be forming their own opinions (more shades of grey) without any chance of knowing more than 0.1% of the history which informed the design and release decisions.

By coincidence, this morning I released a new feature and three bug fixes to a Web database which I maintain here at work. I even wrote a release note, which is a very rare occurrence. So far I've had two comments: one mail saying "thanks for the bug fix but why <the new feature>, I can't believe anyone needs that" and one phone call saying "at last, thanks for <the new feature>" (but at lease they didn't complain that I fixed some bugs in part of the system which they never use :laughing: ).

The new site design looks nice, but only if it can be seen! Presently geocaching.com will not load into non-code-bloated browsers like IE and FF. This includes a failure to load individual cache pages in GSAK's spilt screen. I like to do my logging from within GSAK, so that my offline data stays in sync with the site. Please consider making gc.com browser agnostic so that it will work from within GSAK and other non-standard browsing applications.

It seems the google map connection for at least one cache doesn't work correctly:

GCJN70: Team_EoN #1 [GroundZero N59E14]

Maybe all the zeroes in the coordinates is confusing something? (It's N 59° 00.000 E 014° 00.000)

The maps show a place about 300km southwest of the real position.

Actually, I take this back. It seems it was *earlier* a problem which placed this in the wrong part. If I paid closer attention to the coordinates, I would have seen that they are now point to the correct place. Sorry about that...

The new site design looks nice, but only if it can be seen! Presently geocaching.com will not load into non-code-bloated browsers like IE and FF. This includes a failure to load individual cache pages in GSAK's spilt screen. I like to do my logging from within GSAK, so that my offline data stays in sync with the site. Please consider making gc.com browser agnostic so that it will work from within GSAK and other non-standard browsing applications.

Wow! Less than half an hour after I posted its all working as expected again. You guys are amazing. Talk about customer service! Count me impressed. Thanks!

Edited by freysman

My post code is TW9 4AS: the Hide and Seek works but only resolves to the TW9 part of the post code. More work needed I fear.

I see what's happening:on the "Hide and Seek", the postcode search is only using the first part of the code (that's why it seems puzzlingly inaccurate at times).

If you add the rest of the postcode it makes no difference: the last section is ignored.

On the Advanced Search, the whole postcode is used.

The "Hide and Seek" search is clearly using a small database of abbreviated post codes, which also misses out some areas altogether (like the Isle of Man codes). The Advanced Search is using a complete set of postcodes. This should be made clear to avoid confusion (or better, fixed so it works on the complete database in both cases).

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Please bring back the section of the /my/ page that shows your current inventory of trackables!

The new release looks pretty cool, otherwise.

I see the inventory in the middle of the bottom of my account page, under my logs.

With so much space on the right of the page, seems pointless to have to scroll to the very bottom to see the inventory. I'd like to see it back on the right side again.

The site is now more difficult for me to use having my browsers set to display white text on a black background so I can read stuff easier.. None of the links on the left are visible to me now but if I allow the page to set colors then it's there. I doubt this will effect anyone else but I thought I'd post it anyways. I'll just book bookmark the pages I use to get around it. It seems faster though.

From the second page of this thread.

Thank you for all your comments, folks. I will try to briefly remark on the big ones.

Refresh for encrypt/decrypt: We had some issues with the Javascript involved and found it quickest and easiest to simply refresh the page. This will get another look soon to return the old functionality.

Log backdating: We are working on this now and should have it working very soon.

Pocket Query map preview: The results.aspx map was not supposed to be released quite yet (you got a little preview of another sort!). We are going to return the two icons to /pocket for previewing in Google Maps.

Avatar squished: 75x75 pixels is the ideal height/width for avatars on the site. If you don't care to change your avatar it's really only yourself that has to view the mini-avatar on the homepage.

Bookmark rating rules: If, after receiving a minimum of 5 ratings, a bookmark has less than 50% favorable votes it will disappear from cache pages. This has always been the rule but it didn't work properly until now.

Trackables list moved: For now the list will stay where it is, but the /my/ page is next on the chopping block for redesign. We will take your desires into account when it is created.

Removal of Friend's List hides/finds: These stats never displayed properly. As with the encrypt/decrypt feature above, we had not time to make it work, but neither did we want to leave something that was obviously broken up on the site. This will get another look in the future and return when it can be done right.

Cache page layouts wonky: (e.g. this cache) HTML Tidy is causing problems with certain cache pages. We have a developer on the case at this moment.

Cache page link to your username (upper right): At some point the clickable area was reduced to a couple pixels tall. We'll increase this so you can click more easily.

We will continue to monitor this thread and make tweaks to the update. Thank you again for your comments.

Just tell me where the State page went! Where can I find all event listings and new caches for my state???

Hrmph!

This has been answered several times in this thread:

Go to the Hide and Seek a Cache page.

Near the top, at the "by Local State Page:" row, pick your US State from the drop down menu, and click Go.

You'll find a proper discussion of the UK Regions Here in the UK Forum including a link to the discussion about which counties should be used, and why we ended up with Regions instead. Which came about after a discussion between the UK and Ireland Reviewers .

Thanks for re-direction. I've just finished reading that forum and now understand the hard work and debate that has gone into it .... I'd previously assumed that the regions had been assigned by a matrix run off the cache co-ordinates rather than with manual intervention. I guess there may be teething problems and data inaccuracies cropping up here and there whilst the whole thing beds down and gets updated. Thanks

Trackables list moved: For now the list will stay where it is, but the /my/ page is next on the chopping block for redesign. We will take your desires into account when it is created.

Question for the Greasemonkey people: since the Trackacbles Inventory will stay down at the bottom of the page for the present, but a lot of people would rather see it where it used to be, is it the type of thing that a script can be written for?

Question for the Greasemonkey people: since the Trackacbles Inventory will stay down at the bottom of the page for the present, but a lot of people would rather see it where it used to be, is it the type of thing that a script can be written for?

The well known UK cacher and Greasemonkey script writer roolku has already done it. See here.

I've just installed it and it works a treat. Thanks roolku

Edited by The Hornet

Special characters in notifications email title and body shows "& # 2 3 3" (w/o the spaces) instead of é (for example) since the 22nd.

Nordic Letters is not shown right

After the upgrade, the Nordic letters, e.g. Æ, Ø and Å (æ, ø and å) is not shown right in the automatic generated email to owner of a listing. It is also wrong in the Groundspeak Weekly Notification mail.

Examples (added space between & and # for the letter code to be shown here on the forum):

ø are shown as: & #248;

å are shown as: & #229;

æ are shown as: & #230;

I reported that on page #2.. the problem is still there for French charaters (à è ì ò ù é ê â î ô û À É ë ...) and still no news about it! :laughing:

The well known UK cacher and Greasemonkey script writer roolku has already done it. See here.

I've just installed it and it works a treat. Thanks roolku

Excellent -- thanks for the tip. It's even better than what I had been hoping for.

I reported that on page #2.. the problem is still there for French charaters (à è ì ò ù é ê â î ô û À É ë ...) and still no news about it! :)

This is even a more general problem. (Enough so that even Americans should notice it. :laughing: )

Ampersand (& a m p) (and I think quotes, but I can't find a current example) are coming in notification e-mails as the code instead of the expected character.

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :)

Yes - WHY! How is that bug that needed to be fixed? I liked looking at my friends page to see what everyone was up to. PUT THE FRIENDS FINDS AND PLACED CACHES BACK! :laughing: How was it broken? How did it not display correctly? It always worked for me.

Edited by JunglePete

This is even a more general problem. (Enough so that even Americans should notice it. :laughing: )

Ampersand (& a m p) (and I think quotes, but I can't find a current example) are coming in notification e-mails as the code instead of the expected character.

Yes, I just got such an example email a minute or two ago with the quote problem :

[LOG] Owner: Ecorangers retrieved & quot;Is there a problem, Officer?& quot; (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from Just Visiting-Fox Cities TB Hotel

It was obvious enough that even I, an American, could spot it . :)

Edited by the hermit crabs

Sorry if this is a repost of a problem...

When inserting a link in a log, the href-tag made around "visit link" doesn't link to to the entered URL. However when downloading the .gpx-file for the cache, the link is correctly entered in the log-section.

Exampel: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LID=49118349

"visit link" should link to http://www.bane.dk/visNyhed.asp?artikelID=7361 and not http://www.geocaching.com/seek/ as it does at the moment.

Y.s

Thomas

This "visit link" issue also occurs in the text of cache descriptions.

This cache page is for the first cache in a certain series. It contains links to several other caches in the series. They are the "visit link" type. They used to link to the other caches; now they all just point back to the page they're on.

This cache page, on the other hand (a later cache in the same series, sort of) has the other type of link (not the "visit link" kind), and they all work correctly.

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :laughing:

P.S. Also just noticed that my avatar pic displays on GC.com, but it is "squished". Does it require different formatting than in the forums?

I agree - I don't like the removal of the find/hide count from the friends list. I liked to use this functionality to quickly see what my friends were up to. Based on their counts I could tell if they had been active and then look further at their profile to see what they had been up to. Now I just have a list of friends that I can determine if they have been caching or not. Now the friends list is useless.

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :)

I think that the find and hide counts were ALWAYS wrong so I think the programmers decided to NOT display them instead of fixing the issue once and for all.

Perhaps something to do with synchronizing a couple dozen hamster servers.

Hmm, the counts were always correct for the few friends I have on my list. But I guess that is one way to "fix" something on the website: just get rid of it entirely. :laughing:

Counts for finds and hides always seemed pretty accurate to me.

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :laughing:

I Have to agree the only usefull feture of the friends list was to keep track of how many finds your friends have. I could see them all one one page.

Im seeing "this bookmark list has not been rated be the first" on bookmark lists i know i have rated.

After i click the link be the first as normal i end up editing my rating and if you follow the rating link can see the other ratings but it still says they have not been rated.

Yesterday I logged on for the first time in a while and saw the new site. Looks nice but I had a problem right away. I went to hide/find a cache and clicked on "search with google maps". When I typed in the city and state I wanted to display the map remained where it was. I tried many different regions but could not get the map to move. I had to click and drag to the regions I wanted displayed. :laughing:

I very recently had a new Wherigo/Geocache hybrid cache approved, GC1EE2V. On the Geocache page, I have a link to the Wherigo page. When I edit the cache page, I can see in the long description the fully qualified link to the Wherigo site. When I save the page and view it, it shows up as "Visit Link". When you click on "Visit Link", it just refreshes the Geocache page. In fact, if you just hover over "Visit Link", you can see that the target is the same as the Geocache page.

Going back to some of my older caches, they do the same thing... and these are links that worked before.

Oh and can someone PLEEEEEEEEASE do something about the gawdawful, headache inducing, blinding PURPLE links????

Thanks!