Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

The Cooker
Also, when I go to your profile page, your profile image is waaaaay pushed to the right and slides off the main listing page before I can even start to shrink the window. Yet when I go to my profile page, my image appears about the same size by my image slides way over when I shrink the window. Not sure if that's because it's me looking at my image, but something funky seems to be going on there.

I'm having the same problem with my profile page at The Cooker. I have HTML stats pages embedded on it. If I look at it with Firefox or IE 7, it's fine. If I open it with IE6 though, the left hand side of the page is chopped off and there is no way to scroll over.

If I remove the stat's table, everything is fine. So, I'm guessing it's not handling the width properly on IE6. It did before the update.

They should give us all warnings so we can avoid the site for the next few days :D
I agree that an announcement on our login page would be nice thus we all would be aware that some problem may appear after the update is online and then you deceide you either avoid the site or jump in and help report little glitch you see. With the help of everyone they can fix faster.

Not necessarily. I have multiple computers and bookmarks to take me to specific places on the site and I don't always have to log in...in fact I rarely do...so that logic wouldn't really work for everyone.

I have checked both our profiles and they act the same for me in FF 3.0.1, they act a bit differently in IE7. The image in my profile doesn't move as far to the left when shrinking the screen. It has got to be the tables in my stats section...
That's odd, but I think these are a lot of little quirks they'll be working out. Just like your puzzle cache, when I copied the source and created a local HTML page to look at what was going on, it was screwed up on the GC page in IE7 but when I looked at the same code in IE7 but not thru GC it looked fine. Go figure.

Getting a dynamic web page to render in literally 2 dozen browsers/versions is a big headache. Thanks to all the Groundspeak folks for the day you are sure to be putting in. :D
Might for for the "weekend" you are sure to be putting in :D

Trainlove;

Generally having a site remember your logged in status is based on cookies. I'm wondering if because you're at the library on a public computer they have something that is doing something to the cookies? I'm not seeing any other reports of this issue so that's what leads me to this speculation.

-Raine

Clear the cache and if they are behind a firewall, it's the firewall cache that you see that is not always updated so when you get a page you seems to be logged in (and you are sure you are not) then press CTRL-F5 and you should get the page in realtime and not the cached one where you look logged in.

Perhaps, but I've used this library before and have never experienced this situation. Perhaps they have changed some of their settings for the worse. I guess this library will be on my ignore list from now on.

They should give us all warnings so we can avoid the site for the next few days :D
I agree that an announcement on our login page would be nice thus we all would be aware that some problem may appear after the update is online and then you deceide you either avoid the site or jump in and help report little glitch you see. With the help of everyone they can fix faster.

Not necessarily. I have multiple computers and bookmarks to take me to specific places on the site and I don't always have to log in...in fact I rarely do...so that logic wouldn't really work for everyone.

Ok I tried... there are better alternative I know of but so many I cannot list them all. Edited by Rhialto

I am running XP Professional and checked in both IE7 (7.0.5730.11) and FF 3.0.1

One of my caches GC1DQ46

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-fe6ca57b31c8

doesn't render correctly anymore. I have a table of letters that forms a word search puzzle. The letters are being cut off. In FF 3 it is still readable, but in IE7 too much is cut off to be useful to the cacher.

bccc22f9-2b97-4023-9f3f-6542bea05eeb.jpg

What changed? How should I fix it?

Thanks,

The Cooker

This is similar to the problem I'm having with the Fallen Heroes Geocoins pages. If it was only 1 or 2 it would be no big problem but with nearly 1400 of these activated this is a major issue to me and the people finding the coins that keep e-mailing me telling me that the page is messed up.

The top text is now 'squished'

screenshottb.jpg

The Geocaching Maps doesn't recognize any cities or addresses when entered.

Entering a city (or full address) such as "Hartford, CT" returns the error A location for 'Hartford, CT' could not be determined.

Same thing is stated when searching for a zip code (not using maps) but then up comes the search results page.

This is similar to the problem I'm having with the Fallen Heroes Geocoins pages. If it was only 1 or 2 it would be no big problem but with nearly 1400 of these activated this is a major issue to me and the people finding the coins that keep e-mailing me telling me that the page is messed up.The top text is now 'squished'
Kind of strange because I have a mystery cache and the code is also an HTML table very similar to Cooker's but the table displays fine. GCZKPB

Just wanted to add my voice to those requesting that the Trackables Inventory be moved back to the original location. If I were trying to find the absolute most inconvenient location for it to exist I don't know if I could pick a more suitable location than at the bottom of the list of my logs.

Having the total number of PQs is much appreciated, but I really don't see the point of numbering each one.

I suspect that it will only lead to more "I can only create 39 pocket queries!" threads here in the forum. :D

If they have an error in the code (which they do), shouldn't it be made obvious so they can fix it?

And why is there any limit? Deleted PQs remain on the site, just a bit harder to access.

Just wanted to add my voice to those requesting that the Trackables Inventory be moved back to the original location. If I were trying to find the absolute most inconvenient location for it to exist I don't know if I could pick a more suitable location than at the bottom of the list of my logs.

Just like the absolutely most inconvenient location for the Events I Will Attend non-feature was the very top of my logs.

But that feature never worked right in the first place, events more than 30 days after your Will Attend log disappear, and (oh I can't remember all the old problems that g®ound©peak used to have before 5PM EDT yesterday).

Totally cool.... in the search by city or zip code, I typed in LITTLE MANATEE RIVER STATE PARK, FL and if zoned right in on geocaches at the state park..... me like!!!!

KUDOS!!!!! :D

But now ground zero's will really be multiple choice for people who don't know the ®ight way to do them.

[*]Removed find and hide count from friends list

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :D

Yes, one of my favorite features as well. Please bring that back. :D

Yes, I think, it's the useful feature of the friends list, too

Frank

Although I like the numbering of the PQs, it added one column and now all my PQ names are on 2 lines (not pretty).
Having the total number of PQs is much appreciated, but I really don't see the point of numbering each one.

Agreed! But, I have a "Prime Suspect" GreaseMonkey script () that lets me know.. still works well.

I suspect that it will only lead to more "I can only create 39 pocket queries!" threads here in the forum. :D

:D

But, incase someone wonders it's 39 PQs + 1 "My founds" PQ per week = 40..

For the table/font layout troubles for the Fallen Heroes coins, after playing around with the HTML of one of the bugs, it appears that the change to the font size within the TD doesn't affect the related line-height of the enclosing TR in some browsers. :D

The latest build of WebKit actually rendered the header properly, it would appear, so maybe the "quirks" post a few pages back is on target....as when I added a line-height style to the TR explicitly, it rendered properly.

The WebKit debugger claims that the TR for the header (the row in red) inherited a line-height of 18px, once the FONT tag bumps up the size to 7, the line-height jumps t 59px. Too bad the enclosing table row didn't expand to use that line height!

Not sure if that makes it some sort of css issue or not, debugging that morass is over my head! :D

The WebKit debugger claims that the TR for the header (the row in red) inherited a line-height of 18px, once the FONT tag bumps up the size to 7, the line-height jumps t 59px. Too bad the enclosing table row didn't expand to use that line height!
You can override default row height with the <tr height=???> line, is there any way to try to see if we just define a specific row height it will force the row to the height we want?

Bookmark Ratings - Again, THANK YOU! One question about bookmark lists... I didn't see any mention of it, but did you manage to squash the bug that would keep me from switching to page two or three (or more) of a bookmark list? It would say it was on page two or three, but still show page one's bookmarks...

The paging issues were part of a past release, so that behavior shouldn't crop up. If you see it, please let us know.

On page http://www.geocaching.com/mark/ some "1st level links" gives an error page. For example "What is a benchmark?". I tried both with Firefox 3 and Safari on MacOS.

Also errorpage form seems to be broken (http://www.geocaching.com/mark/Whatis)

The proper URL is: http://www.geocaching.com/mark/Whatis

We'll get that sorted quickly.

On the Geocaching Home>Benchmarking>find a benchmark page,

I cannot select "By Designation" nor the "By Coordinates", nor can I click on the drop down arrows for the N/S or W/E.

It appears that the left side advertisement is lapping over onto the areas that I mentioned. I found this by trying to Highlight By Coordinates to copy and could not do that nor the By Designation.

Can you fix this? This page info is used quite a bit by us Benchmark hunters.

Thank you kindly!

Shirley~

What browser are you using? I don't see this behavior.

Also, a minor thing, but you have to physically click the "Go..." Simply hitting enter does not submit the address.

I can't repro this one either. Browser and link?

When I try to do a PQ from a route, I get an error message pop-up box, saying that IE can't open page...... operation aborted.

This is a known bug and we're working on it now. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. It seems to only be happening in IE if you have another browser to use for a brief time.

I admit, I'm a geonoob but I get easily hooked and used PayPal to purchase the auto-renewing annual membership. I got PayPal's confirmation of payment, but my timing must have been off because the site went down shortly after I upgraded, and it isn't registering with this site. When I was initially considering it, I recall seeing something somewhere about entering the code from the email to activate the membership, only I can't find that anymore (site update removal or my noobness?). Help? My gps is on its way and I want it all. Is that too much to ask? :D

I was worried there might be some overlap. If you would please send me a private message with your PayPal email address included I will make sure you are upgraded. I'm very sorry.

looks like some pages with larger images causes the page format to mess up:

Just as your image pushed everyone's right column off the forum page, so do cache owner's enormous images or column widths push the navigation off the cache page. We are working at a solution to this right now.

Just noticed search for a northern ireland postcode such as bt1 2gu brings back caches in germany

Thank you for reporting this. Did it work before the update? We get our postcode info from a third party so it should not have changed overnight.

Searching for a benchmark by PID is broken.

This is a major bug for benchmarks hunters. It makes it difficult just to get to the page for a specific benchmark.

This is being worked on now. I hope to have some new information very shortly.

The geocaching maps here don't allow me to search for places.

It says " A location of _________ could not be determined"

This is what I get when searching for "Hartford, CT". Can you offer any more information?

Even if I didn't respond to all of you directly, I am reading all the posts and following up with the developers. Thank you all for your comments. I will keep you posted as fixes are checked in.

PS - Please please please include your browser and repro steps (see my sig) when you make reports. It really speeds things along. Thanks.

When viewing a cache page, the GC code displayed at the top right have a different style than before that prevents us from clicking on our name just over. In fact we still can but not in the normal way. Both in IE and FF.
Seems fixed, thanks!
You can override default row height with the <tr height=???> line, is there any way to try to see if we just define a specific row height it will force the row to the height we want?

Well, for text that may wrap to multiple lines in a table row, pretty sure you want to set the line-height not that table row height, as then you are hoping you know the text will wrap at different displayed widths or font sizes (depending upon the user's browser displayed font size choice) to the same number of lines.

The driving directions actually come from Google so any issues with street names should be directed towards them.

-Raine

Google seems to make up street names on the fly. Wife and I have made "Google" into a verb as in we've been "googled" when we miss a turn because the Google map has the wrong labeling.

The Geocaching Maps doesn't recognize any cities or addresses when entered.

Entering a city (or full address) such as "Hartford, CT" returns the error A location for 'Hartford, CT' could not be determined.

even a seek with country and city didn't work. It did work before the 'upgrade' :D

keep on the good work, but since I bearly had experienced the bugs, I experience the bugs from this day a lot :D

I do not experience the good work at this time :D

as mentioned before in this thread

- the text at the right is in my case to much, so the cache description has less space in the middle.

- my friends page: the only goal was to see how much my friends had, and If they had one or more more I linked at their profile and read ther logs. Now it's not possible anymore :D

too bad: not a language option for my own cachedescription (beside the englisch also a owner's own language), maybe next upgrade?

too bad: printerfriendly with no options for 1, 3, 5 logs

too bad: pdf is getting worse!

homepage is an improvement!

happy caching!

Now really now.

On some pages on geocaching.com I'm logged in and on some others I'm not logged in. What great security.

If I try to log out whan I'm on the hide and seek a cache page, it appears to log me out but if I then go to another page I'm still logged in. What a great system, it appears that I have to log out on at least 8 different pages, and probably really something like 100 different ones. I'm definately going to unplug this public library computer right now.

You might consider "refreshing" these pages that seem to have you logged in.

Btw, if you are truly logged in, then unplugging the computer is not going to log you out. :D

Well, for text that may wrap to multiple lines in a table row, pretty sure you want to set the line-height not that table row height, as then you are hoping you know the text will wrap at different displayed widths or font sizes (depending upon the user's browser displayed font size choice) to the same number of lines.
Just used one of my currently deactivated caches as a test base and found that the row height over-ride does work. From the example from Cooker above, I made the line calls in the HTML code be <tr height=40> and this is the result :

puz1.jpg

Might play with the height setting but looks like that's at least a temp fix for most of the HTML IE7 table issues....

Edited by infiniteMPG

Even if I didn't respond to all of you directly, I am reading all the posts and following up with the developers. Thank you all for your comments. I will keep you posted as fixes are checked in.

I think it's going pretty good considering the massive undertaking that this is. You guys are doing a good job, IMHO. I'm liking what I see so far (except for the awful purple links... please make it stop! I'm going blind!) :D

Thanks for taking this on....

Just used one of my currently deactivated caches as a test base and found that the row height over-ride does work. From the example from Cooker above, I made the line calls in the HTML code be <tr height=40> and this is the result :

puz1.jpg

Might play with the height setting but looks like that's at least a temp fix for most of the HTML IE7 table issues....

Watch your HTML code. You see that extra bracket below the table? That means you have some extra code floating around.

Also, your text is still getting wrapped in the table, the b and p are being cut off. Have you considered smaller font size? That font seems huge to me. The whole table fills over 1/2 my screen.

I rarely use the log in page so having something there would not be of use. The Home Page is already too cluttered with stuff to put a notice there. What about putting something in the weekly email that is sent out? I know, not everyone gets that or reads that... There isn't just 1 place where a simple notification would work....

Watch your HTML code. You see that extra bracket below the table? That means you have some extra code floating around.
Thanks but I was just testing on a temp page (which was not HTML before but it was the only way I could play with the code and see how it did coming from GC) just to see if the height=??? code would alter the row height in IE. It does.

Also, your text is still getting wrapped in the table, the b and p are being cut off. Have you considered smaller font size? That font seems huge to me. The whole table fills over 1/2 my screen.
I also agree but this is a table on one of Cooker's puzzle caches, not mine. Was just trying to help them find a quick fix to get the cache back up into a useable condition. They could probably find a balance between font size and row height and get it to work for now. FF displays it fine, IE "used" to display it fine. But it's odd because I have puzzle caches using the same type table coding with no height callout and the text displays fine. May also be a function of the font. And IMHO they should go with all UPPER CASE for charts and tables like that, keeps the characters all along the same horizontal lines.... Thanks!!!

This is what I get when searching for "Hartford, CT". Can you offer any more information?

I was searching for "Edmonton, AB" (exactly that), and it always worked before. I even tired "Hartford,CT" and it didn't work either.

I've even restarted and still not working.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, IE 7.0.6, with McAfee Internet Security.

Is anyone else getting split images of the map when printing out a page?

Using:

MAC OSX10.4.7

Safari Version 3.1.2 (4525.22) .... map split both parts print

Firefox 2.0.0.14 ... map split, second part sometimes doesn't print at all.

It's only on some cache pages.

I get the same problem when I search on the Google Map. Earlier today I didn't have this problem but now it is still occuring. When http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx loads it shows Green Lake Park. Then when I enter Atlanta, GA then click the "Go..." button it pops up the message "A location for 'Atlanta, GA' cound not be determined". No matter what I try it does the same thing.

Now, I also noticed this same problem is happening on the Hide & Seek A Cache page as well. When I enter a zip code then hit enter it says the same "A location for '[what was entered]' could not be determined"

Browser: IE 7.0.6 and Firefox 3.0.1, OS: Vista Business

Edited by Lost N Found 2
Was also about to suggest him a smaller font... I will send him a suggestion.

Just noticed a problem with viewing TB's that have photos associated with it. Example is Mommy Mac TB1F1PY.

The problem occurs in IE 6, but not IE 7.

When you choose View All to display all the logs - the pictures force the page to display at the far right and cuts off the left side of the information. A Scroll bar appears, but doesn't allow you to scroll back to the left side.

Seems to occur when at least 5 photos are posted and the more photos posted per log, the worse if gets.

The left side bar is moved to display at the bottom of the page if you scroll beyond the original 1st log.

The [Membership] link among the 8 links on the left of any geocaching.com page (when a user is not logged in), does not have any of the standard 8 links on the left. It also does not have the complete bunch of legal nomenclature at the bottom of the page as other geocaching.com pages do and does not have a link on the top right to allow you to log in. You have to go to some other geocaching.com page manually to get any of these.

The [forums] link now is not redirected to forums.g®oundspeak.com as it has been over the last day or so, but it does not have the link on it to actually allow you to update your information. I.E. That web page is incomplete and does not do what it used to do.

I'm confused as to why this feature was removed:

The ability to search for a cache using, ah, zip code, address, maps, just about anything... LOL :D

Just had to add this as it's very funny that nobody can cache right now, and all we can do is complain inthe forums.

:D not able to search without going to advance for Zips or City States, says could not be found.

If I go into Advance it works, but then from maps view I can't jump to another location either.

Additionally I'm not able to click on cache in map view and get the details to show.

Edited by geckoses

... another but less significant item. Didn't the list of owned caches used to be arranged from most recently found to least recently found? Now it is based on most recently hidden to least recently hidden. I found the old arrangement to be more useful.

Quoting myself.. but this issue either by design or luck has been eliminated. I bet if I had spent the day caching, instead of here, I would have come home logged my caches, and never known there were any problems.. :D

Also, a minor thing, but you have to physically click the "Go..." Simply hitting enter does not submit the address.

I can't repro this one either. Browser and link?

Nate, this seems to have been resolved. I can now hit enter, and it works the same as clicking the "Go..." button.

It happens on 3 different machines.

One has Vista Home Premium with IE7 7.0.6001.18000 and NOD32 AV.

Another has the same OS/IE but with SonicWALL AV

Another has XP Pro with IE7 7.0.5730.11 and McAfee AV

Here's a screenshot showing the message. This message appears no matter what you type into the "Zoom to Address" box.

hartforderroroz7.jpg

Edited by Skippermark

Don't you people bother to read what has been said by the powers that be before posting? :D

Probably because he was composing his problem as the other person was composing his answer/workaround.

OOPS, I thought you were responding to someone elses question. Never Mind!

Edited by trainlove