Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

When I changed my Forum Title and re-entered the forums to update it, it didn't update.

It used to take me to an interim page that told me I was about to enter the forums, but now the link takes you straight here.

This might not have been a change in the recent upgrade so it might not need to be mentioned here, I'm not sure.

Anyone know how to update Avatars and Forum Titles?

oK...Here I go.

When I look at a Cache page and there is a log with images, they show as an "Image" icon and a name.

When I look at a TB page and there is a log with images, they show as actual pictures,

Could we get the Cache logs to show this way?

next...

When I click on one of the "Image" icons on a Cache page it opens the actual image right there, and lets me view it as a "Slide" in sequence with the other images from that log.

When I click on an actual image from a TB log, it sends me to a seperate page displaying only that image, and nothing else. and that image is way smaller than if I go there from the "view Log on a seperate page" page.

I like the thumbnails in the logs, can we get them to display that way on Ccahes as well as TBs?

I like the slide option on the Cache pages, can we get that on the TB pages?

I think images should display and link the same way on both TB pages and Cache pages, no???

I also tested someones problem with links in logs, and got a "Blank Page" from a link to my YouTube" video on a TB log.

Is this a bug, or is GS clamping down even harder on "Commercial" links do they need even more controll? Did they remove this function intentionally?

Now I don't even get a scroll bar at the bottom and it seems the frames on the left side are over the description. All other websites load perfectly. I hope this will be fixed.

Asus EEE PC with windows XP IE6 and a max screen resolution of 800 x 600.

When I try to do a PQ from a route, I get an error message pop-up box, saying that IE can't open page...... operation aborted.

I have this same problem.

Here is the error message:

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site

http ://www.geocaching.com/pocket/urquery.aspx?urguid=7af02f37-2ba4-4fa3-8335-aae5a43d61cb

Operation aborted

Is anyone able to do PQs from routes?

Thanks,

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com. Although there have been numerous bug fixes, the primary focus has been to improve the process for creating and renewing Premium Memberships.

We are now offering 4 different ways of purchasing a Premium Membership, with both PayPal and credit cards being accepted. PayPal no longer requires a subscription ID and both methods are instant. Any active PayPal (renewing) subscriptions will remain valid unless, or until, it is canceled for whatever reason.

PayPal

• $30 Annual Premium Membership (Non-Renewing)

Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)

• 1 Year Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $30 USD/Year
  • 1 Year Premium Membership - $30 USD/Year
  • 3 Month Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $10 USD/3 Months

I admit, I'm a geonoob but I get easily hooked and used PayPal to purchase the auto-renewing annual membership. I got PayPal's confirmation of payment, but my timing must have been off because the site went down shortly after I upgraded, and it isn't registering with this site. When I was initially considering it, I recall seeing something somewhere about entering the code from the email to activate the membership, only I can't find that anymore (site update removal or my noobness?). Help? My gps is on its way and I want it all. Is that too much to ask? :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

Both preview icons should be working correctly now. The initial map will still start at Green Lake but it should jump to your correct location.

Please continue to let us know what you think of the site. As always - the more info you can provide the better. Happy Caching!

Colin

Groundspeak Lackey

It does work now! Yay! Thank you.

Now, could you remove the dot after the newly added numbers as it is already separated by a vertical line? Although I like the numbering of the PQs, it added one column and now all my PQ names are on 2 lines (not pretty). I get around it with the Ctrl-Minus in FF3 which brings everything back on one line.

Trackables list moved: For now the list will stay where it is, but the /my/ page is next on the chopping block for redesign. We will take your desires into account when it is created.

Removal of Friend's List hides/finds: These stats never displayed properly. As with the encrypt/decrypt feature above, we had not time to make it work, but neither did we want to leave something that was obviously broken up on the site. This will get another look in the future and return when it can be done right.

Having the TB listing on the side, was/is a lot easier. Having it down at the bottom of the "My Details Page" is a PITA.

I never had a problem with the stats showing wrong on the friends list. That was the most useful feature of having the friends feature. without that, there really is not much use to the friends list.

OK something about this server software update push is causing geocaching.com to log me out just about every time I navigate away to the forums and back or to some other page on or off geocaching.com, that has NEVER ever happened to me before!!

I mean logging me out of geocaching.com, it does not log me out of the forums.

Edited by trainlove

Looks like something broke your font size button too

Nope, just want it to be seen among the sea of posts that this has generated.

P.S. When it logges me out instead of seeing "My Account" on the left I see "Membership" and that page has absolutely no links on the left as EVERY other page on geocaching.com has.

I may have missed it. I use GSAK and if a new cache was published in the area I would just hit the "Download GPX" and then I could load it into GSAK. I only did this if I have already received my PQ for new caches. I can't find the "Download GPX" option. Am I missing something?

It's on the individual cache page, center large button just below the coordinates. Label on button says "GPX eXchange File". I just tested it's download and import into GSAK. Works just fine.

Glens911 are probably using FireFox like me, where the large buttons are gone. Opening the page in IE (v.7 in this case) shows the buttons.

/René

Just got home from work and used IE7 and there are the buttons. But like you said no buttons in firefox ver 2

The buttons look fine in Firefox for me, but I'm running 3.0.1...

Looks like it worked.. you got a quick response :laughing:

PS just used my back button (Safari) to go back to my account page and was still logged in.

Edited by edscott

I may have missed it. I use GSAK and if a new cache was published in the area I would just hit the "Download GPX" and then I could load it into GSAK. I only did this if I have already received my PQ for new caches. I can't find the "Download GPX" option. Am I missing something?

It's on the individual cache page, center large button just below the coordinates. Label on button says "GPX eXchange File". I just tested it's download and import into GSAK. Works just fine.

Glens911 are probably using FireFox like me, where the large buttons are gone. Opening the page in IE (v.7 in this case) shows the buttons.

/René

Just got home from work and used IE7 and there are the buttons. But like you said no buttons in firefox ver 2

The buttons look fine in Firefox for me, but I'm running 3.0.1...

Ditto that here... maybe it's FF 2.0 bug?

Looks great, but I don't understand the removal of the finds and hides numbers in the friends list either. This is a feature I really liked!

I also think the logo display in the upper left corner is broken (only showing parts of it).

Edited by The Hawks

I like the look of the new homepage. Overall though, I guess I am getting old but looking at the text it just seems lighter to me or something and, although I can read it, it seems I am straining.

Anyway, in a previous post, someone mentioned a bug related to the Zip/Posta Code search but they didn't mention the problem I see (I really don't use it but found the problem so wanted to let you know). When I put in my zipcode '30319' and a 5 for the "Mile(s) Radius" then click GO the Mile(s) Radius is not being used to filter. It is still returning the results for 100 miles.

For the Trackables on the "my account" page, I see that they will stay at the bottom for now, but one thing that would really be nice to have back would be the * beside the ones that you have held too long. I have one in my inventory that is over 2 weeks and it doesn't have the *. As a note though, I do see that on the "My Details > Travel Bugs" page it still has the bug inventory on the right with the *.

Thanks!

Pages that have wide images cause the table to expand wider than the screen. For example: GCHV92, GCKX93

At first yesterday this also happened to the My Account page itself. That was fixed right away, and I imagine it should be the same code to fix it everywhere else that it could possibly happen in the tree of HTML at geocaching.com.

But I think it's related to your screen size. A few years ago Jeremy, or someone else important, mentioned in a forum post that absolutely nobody used 800x600 resolution, so they were not going to make their pages look good for that. A really bogus answer.

Pages that have wide images cause the table to expand wider than the screen. For example: GCHV92, GCKX93

It definitely seems to matter on your screen width.

I'm currently on a 21" widescreen LCD monitor and my browser is set fairly wide and when I went to those two pages they displayed fine. I tried moving my browser window to make it 'thinner' and the formatting was definitely off.

Solution, everyone buy larger monitors. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

P.S. When it logges me out instead of seeing "My Account" on the left I see "Membership" and that page has absolutely no links on the left as EVERY other page on geocaching.com has.

Something about this is making it impossible to LOG out of the forums. And right now I'm at a public library. They will get pissed but I'm going to have to unplug this computer to have a little sense of security.

I see that the link to the forums now does go to the register page but it has no link on that page to go to the forums. Not good progress in solving part of the issue I'd say.

I am running XP Professional and checked in both IE7 (7.0.5730.11) and FF 3.0.1

One of my caches GC1DQ46

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-fe6ca57b31c8

doesn't render correctly anymore. I have a table of letters that forms a word search puzzle. The letters are being cut off. In FF 3 it is still readable, but in IE7 too much is cut off to be useful to the cacher.

bccc22f9-2b97-4023-9f3f-6542bea05eeb.jpg

What changed? How should I fix it?

Thanks,

The Cooker

Edited by The Cooker

The problems I'm having are the line spacing on cache pages are squashed with my browser and it's affected my mystery cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ec-a9dd3cf8d8d3

Also I didn't need to log in today. Without using remember me, I turned my computer on and came onto

geocaching and I was already logged in from yesterday. It's never done that before. Now I'll have to actually

log out before I turn my computer off.

Been toying around the new sight and a couple observations (not complaints as I understand this is fresh outta the box and some tweaking is going on behind the scenes as I noticed the GC logo now fully appears in the top left when it was only partially appearing on cache listing pages this morning).

- Some of us compose our listing pages and spend time finding a good background image but now the listing text box appears to be set to a larger percentage of the window and this almost totally blocks out the background image. Used to be you had some of the background showing but now it's pretty much just a border around the egde. And the old site the background would load and there was a slight lag for the listing to load and it was nice to see the entire screen as the background image and then the cache listing popped over top of it. With the current scheme there's not much gain in providing background images.

- This is just an observation. When you have an HTML listing page and there are images on the listing page, when you shrink the window width down the menu boxes such as Navigation, Attributes, Inventory, etc. will run against the edge of the embedded image and stop, causing them to seem to extend over the background. When you are on a plain text listing page these menu boxes keep sliding in. I can shrink a plain text listing page down to around 750 pixels wide and still have full side menus. With a 600 pixel wide image on an HTML page when I get down to about 1000 pixels wide the menu windows start slipping off the side of the page EXAMPLE Not sure how that will work with someone on a 800 pixel display as the side menus on an HTML page might not show at all (or they may have to side scroll to them). Just something to check on.

- Appears the text on many pages has too much white space, too much space between the characters and the lines, causing it to take a lot more realestate to display the same text.

- Also agree it's not really uniform the way you can display an image from a log directly over the log listings but if you display them from the gallery they open a whole new window.

- Link text on account page allowes you to instantly search for caches from your home coordinates. Then there is a link to do the search again but FILTER OUT FINDS. Even though it only says it's filtering out "finds" it also filters out "owned". A good thing but might want to add that in the text so people know.

Nice look and more modern feel. Good work!!! Read some blurbs about a rating system incorporated in the new page, was this just rumor or is that coming?

Now really now.

On some pages on geocaching.com I'm logged in and on some others I'm not logged in. What great security.

If I try to log out whan I'm on the hide and seek a cache page, it appears to log me out but if I then go to another page I'm still logged in. What a great system, it appears that I have to log out on at least 8 different pages, and probably really something like 100 different ones. I'm definately going to unplug this public library computer right now.

Get a programmer. Test your updates before publishing them. You guys act like you work for microsoft. Publish it and then fix it.
I believe they have to put it online at one time and when they decide of the time to do it, it's because they are all available and ready for the next few hours to rapidly patch what is really problematic.

Trainlove;

Generally having a site remember your logged in status is based on cookies. I'm wondering if because you're at the library on a public computer they have something that is doing something to the cookies? I'm not seeing any other reports of this issue so that's what leads me to this speculation.

-Raine

Get a programmer. Test your updates before publishing them. You guys act like you work for microsoft. Publish it and then fix it.
I believe they have to put it online at one time and when they decide of the time to do it, it's because they are all available and ready for the next few hours to rapidly patch what is really problematic.

They should give us all warnings so we can avoid the site for the next few days :laughing:

Now really now.

On some pages on geocaching.com I'm logged in and on some others I'm not logged in. What great security.

If I try to log out whan I'm on the hide and seek a cache page, it appears to log me out but if I then go to another page I'm still logged in. What a great system, it appears that I have to log out on at least 8 different pages, and probably really something like 100 different ones. I'm definately going to unplug this public library computer right now.

Clear the cache and if they are behind a firewall, it's the firewall cache that you see that is not always updated so when you get a page you seems to be logged in (and you are sure you are not) then press CTRL-F5 and you should get the page in realtime and not the cached one where you look logged in.

The "page width" problem may not be what it seems. Earlier, I tried a 17" monitor on IE6 and the only way to view a cache page properly is to leave the window maximised. On this 19" monitor with IE7, formatting is OK even if you resize the window quite small.

On a PDA (640x480 screen) it works OK(ish): it was never that great at such a resolution, but then only the BBC seem to be able to overcome that difficulty.

One of my caches GC1DQ46 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-fe6ca57b31c8 doesn't render correctly anymore. I have a table of letters that forms a word search puzzle. The letters are being cut off. In FF 3 it is still readable, but in IE7 too much is cut off to be useful to the cacher. What changed? How should I fix it?
Not an expert here but in yoru HTML code when you do your table, you're not defining the height of the table rows so you're letting the browser decide it for you. Maybe take your row definition lines from your table that state :

<tr>

and change them to be something like

<tr height=70>

and see if that forces the browser to display the proper height.

Just a thought.

They should give us all warnings so we can avoid the site for the next few days :laughing:
I agree that an announcement on our login page would be nice thus we all would be aware that some problem may appear after the update is online and then you deceide you either avoid the site or jump in and help report little glitch you see. With the help of everyone they can fix faster.

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com. Although there have been numerous bug fixes, the primary focus has been to improve the process for creating and renewing Premium Memberships.

We are now offering 4 different ways of purchasing a Premium Membership, with both PayPal and credit cards being accepted. PayPal no longer requires a subscription ID and both methods are instant. Any active PayPal (renewing) subscriptions will remain valid unless, or until, it is canceled for whatever reason.

PayPal

• $30 Annual Premium Membership (Non-Renewing)

Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)

• 1 Year Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $30 USD/Year
  • 1 Year Premium Membership - $30 USD/Year
  • 3 Month Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $10 USD/3 Months

And now for the bug fixes! Here they are in no particular order:

• Updated email notifications for Premium Membership
  • The "renew" membership link will now only appear if the membership is within 60 days of expiration
  • Re-ordered page titles for cache pages. e.g.: GCTANE Trees of Greenlake: The Empress (Multi-cache) in Washington, United States created by licibear & drizzle
  • Updated freetrial.aspx page with new language and error checking
  • Added region search to UK and Ireland
  • Updated Send to GPS functionality for Garmin devices so the Gpx output is in GML (or the Garmin Modeling Language), a subset of html.
  • Slovak cache note added
  • An audit log note is now created when an adoption is complete.
  • Re-arranged the /my/ page for cleaner presentation
  • Added new icon to search results which indicates multiple Travel Bugs are placed in a cache
  • Rebuilt "about us" page
  • Improved spacing between username and log out link on home page
  • Updated mailing address for Groundspeak on contact us
  • Added MacCaching link to list of GPS software
  • Removed all hard coded instances of nearest.aspx
  • Pocket Query page will now properly post back when a different coordinate format is selected from the dropdown
  • Fixed mispelling in Glossary
  • Added error checking to /track page when searching for non-existent travel bug
  • Fixed issue that prevented the selecting of state/province on membership creation page
  • Fixed map on edit cache page to properly display new coordinates
  • Text change instructing users on contacting Shop Groundspeak on Contact Us
  • Updated Copyright notice on TOU page
  • Various dates and typos have been fixed in the TOU
  • Added CacheBerry to list of GPS software links
  • Fixed grammar issue on cache submission form
  • Fixed issue with odd characters being used in username creation
  • Updated Shop Groundspeak contact info on Contact Us page
  • Removed find and hide count from friends list
  • Removed references to "stash note" from /seek page
  • Fixed Pocket Query issue where no results were found when Flashlight Required attribute is enabled
  • Fixed issue with Google Earth KML causing errors for certain Travel Bugs and Geocoins
  • Fixed issue with certain Geocoins failing activation
  • Fixed login link on geocoin faq page
  • Updated link to support page on contact us
  • Added to cache pages the ability to click through to a complete list of shared Bookmark Lists
  • Fixed issue with ampersands in encrypted cache hints adding nonsense code each time it is decrypted
  • Removed HTML Encoding for cache pages when using Send to GPS functionality
  • Fixed issue with Travel Bug dropdown menus duplicating each time an item is selected
  • Changed wording on FAQ page to clarify "Where you *hide* a cache is up to you"
  • Updated FAQ on proper process for adopting trackables
  • Improved decrypt/encrypt feature by maintaining original line breaks
  • Fixed spelling errors in FAQ and Glossary
  • Entering an invalid cache ID in the PQ generator now correctly reports the error
  • Updated wording on the "email a user" page
  • An error will now be generated when attempting to transfer ownership of a virtual or webcam cache using the /adopt tool
  • Fixed issue with random route not loading when page is posted back (User Routes)
  • Removed ability to queue "My Finds" PQ if user has no finds
  • When submitting a cache listing the "hide a cache" page now defaults to the account's country. If a region is chosen it will also select the default region.
  • Trackable activation wizard will now default to today's date
  • Added asterisk to Mega-Event caches in profile geocache tab
  • Removed redundant text from cache creation page
  • Fixed rating functionality for bookmark lists to properly display or hide based on ratings
  • Removed broken link to "country map" from UK cache pages
  • Added CITO logos to logousage.aspx
  • Fixed issue where some usernames starting with a number or symbol were not accepted
  • Fixed issue with URLs not displaying properly in cache logs
  • Remove geocoin text from trackable FAQ (they have their own FAQ)
  • Fixed issue on /track where hitting the enter key does not submit search
  • Fixed issues with Green Jeep Travel Bug pages where the CSS displayed incorrectly.

As usual, please reply in this thread with any problems that come up as a result of this release. If you need clarification on any of these, just ask.

We still have plenty to keep us busy, so if your favorite bug didn't make it into this release, fear not. We will get to it as soon as possible. :laughing:

No wonder your not answering the phone. I always knew the problems I was having were not a "Brouser Issue". Glad to finally here the truth, all the problems I experienced were on your end. One more fix. the driving instructions is giving street names that don't exist, at least in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

<tr>

and change them to be something like

<tr height=70>

and see if that forces the browser to display the proper height.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the idea. It was working fine in the old version... I'll give it a try, or maybe just make it an image...

I have seen other caches that have had overlapping lines of text and various other rendering issues.

Thanks again,

The Cooker

The Cooker
Also, when I go to your profile page, your profile image is waaaaay pushed to the right and slides off the main listing page before I can even start to shrink the window. Yet when I go to my profile page, my image appears about the same size by my image slides way over when I shrink the window. Not sure if that's because it's me looking at my image, but something funky seems to be going on there.

Seems the download buttons have disappeared from the newly published cache I'm viewing :laughing:

Edited to say they flash up as the page loads then disappear when page has loaded.

Ack! That's a problem with my "Bag O Tricks" Greasemonkey script. Disable that for now and I'll get an update out in a few days after things calm down around here.

How can I find events now?

Before we could goto whatever state and they would appear for us.

I miss that.

Very good question. That was also a quick way to check for new caches and what TBs were moving around the area. If it's gone that is something I will miss.

It seems that some people are reporting the new pages are too wide and that they need to scroll right and left, or that html looks wrong (for the same reason I assume). I'm not seeing those things. I'm thinking it must be because I'm on my 15' monitor laptop?

My screen is 17' and I am getting that problem of having to scroll back and forth. Until this week they had me convenced it was a "Brouser Issue".

The Cooker
Also, when I go to your profile page, your profile image is waaaaay pushed to the right and slides off the main listing page before I can even start to shrink the window. Yet when I go to my profile page, my image appears about the same size by my image slides way over when I shrink the window. Not sure if that's because it's me looking at my image, but something funky seems to be going on there.

There have been more than superficial changes here... There have been some updates to what is generated out of the database, and it is affecting the rendering of the pages. I'm starting to look through the generated pages source to see what may be going on...

There are some odd dots near the top of my profile page...

8f0faca0-7120-4aaa-b2a9-1b2b794ceb09.jpg

The Cooker

I was hoping several of my cache pages would have corrected their rendering overnight. Unfortunately, they're still unreadable:

GCX0KR All Geared Up

GC15HZG NAVAID

GC17X3N *

GC131CB Raptor Trust

GC1427M Where Eagles Dare

GC17E1V Beer, Chocolates, Waffles and Fries

GCZMXP You've Got Mail

GC19JZJ Roscoe

GC19JYB Franko

GC19JZE Sawyer

GC19JZ5 Jimenez

GC19JZ0 Jefferson

GC19JYK Wladislaw

GC19JZ3 Pinkley

GC19JZM Gilpin

GC13YMM Dark Side of the Moon

GC19JZ1 Samson

GC19JZ7 Vladek

GC19JYY Maggot

GC19JZA Bravos

GC13YN1 TGIF

GC13QZY Finish The Lyric

GC170EN Swiss Time Was Running Out

GC1C9BG Cleared To Land

The Cooker

I have checked both our profiles and they act the same for me in FF 3.0.1, they act a bit differently in IE7. The image in my profile doesn't move as far to the left when shrinking the screen. It has got to be the tables in my stats section...

Getting a dynamic web page to render in literally 2 dozen browsers/versions is a big headache. Thanks to all the Groundspeak folks for the day you are sure to be putting in. :laughing: