Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

Having just read several pages of peoples replies, I agree with most of the changes.

Problem from downunder.

-Maps load find move etc OK except when you go to print a page and scale on the left hand side plus the Map Statellite Terrain buttoms disapear.

-Maps on cache page of the two the bottem middle one does not print with the page just a square out line.

-Map on print frendly page (simple) only prints a grey square.

As mentioned by others already - I feel that the web pages should display visited links and unvisited links using the web browser's default colors. The custom colors don't help viewing - or add anything cosmetically - I say take out the custom colors.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'll 2nd or 3rd this. :unsure:

Just a note;

Last Night I reported that the download buttons were not permanently displaying.

I believe others have since reported this too.

In my case it seems a Greasemonkey script was stopping the buttons displaying.

Pity as I liked one particular script which indicated if I had already logged a cache. :laughing:

Just so people know its Lil Devils "GC Bag of Tricks" that is causing the download buttons to go missing.

The script for putting if you had any logs for that cache on the page is Prime Suspects which also isnt working.

Now I see there are a few more scripts that are not working also.

I am sure these great script writers will get around to fixing them, once they see/know which ones dont work, if they can. :laughing:

Edited by IBcrashen

Preview Pocket Query does not work at all no! Nothing happens!

It works for me, but most of the screen shows a map. Two problems with that:

- the map is for Green Lake Park on all my pocket queries, which I'm sure is a nice park, but it's 3000 miles away from any caches in my pocket query

- the map takes most of the screen real estate, and I only want to see the cache listings.

You know, multiple people have complained about having to scroll right/left to see everything on their screen. I don't have this problem. All the pages render in a usable format on my browser. I do see some of the "extra spacing" issues, but it doesn't make the site unusable. Maybe it would help Groundspeak if those complaining about the left/right scrolling issues post what browser, what size screen, and what resolution they are using.

I'll post mine as an example:

I have a 19" flat panel, using Firefox 3.0.1, and my screen resolution is 1280x1024.

I've found no problem so far. The PQ's does at first show Green Lake Park, but then switched over to my local coordinates.

I've also had no problem with the screen and scrollong, on two computers. FireFiox 3.0.1 on a Windows XP computer, screen resolution 1440x900. Also Mac OS 10.4.11, FireFox 3.something (newest one), screen resolution 1680x1050

I can't Find Archived caches or search for them in my area. When planning on placing a new cache it can be helpful to see if someone had placed one in the area in the past and see what can of problems the cache encountered or why it was archived.

I also can not Log a cache from a previous date. If I go caching out of the area, when I get back home to log my caches it will no longer reflect when I actually made the find/s for that time period.

So far most of the changes have helped you make it easer to generate income for the site but added nothing that great to the functionality or followed the old saying one step forward two steps back.

Bookmark Ratings - Again, THANK YOU! One question about bookmark lists... I didn't see any mention of it, but did you manage to squash the bug that would keep me from switching to page two or three (or more) of a bookmark list? It would say it was on page two or three, but still show page one's bookmarks...

This book mark navigation bug has driven me nuts for a long time!!!

I tried to replicate it now after the update and I cannot seem to make it happen again on a bookmark list that I have seen it every time I have tried to navigate through it.

I did not see confirmation on this thread that this particular bug was fixed but at first blush it appears that perhaps it has.

Thanks to all those web developers who make our hobby possible!!! :laughing:

OK,

I like the driving directions feature. The site looks pretty good for the most part.

However, I am also seeing some "funky" pages, when I try to preview a PQ, I get a map of Green Lake park. Looks nice, but I'm on the other side of the country! I'd also like to see the trackables inventory moved back to it's old position, lots of nice open space for it there.

when I try to preview a PQ, I get a map of Green Lake park.

You are seeing the Google Maps display that has been there for a while. It used to start at Green Lake and then center on the actual caches selected, but it no longer seems to do that. [Well, sometimes. Most of the time it does recenter.] And the map controls don't work so you have a trouble doing a manual re-center.

The PQ preview you are looking for was broken with the new release. (Icon remained but was non-functional.) I am pretty sure they know that is broken and are working on it.

(I guess the beta testers don't have the same set of "high priority" functions as we do.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

I can't Find Archived caches or search for them in my area. When planning on placing a new cache it can be helpful to see if someone had placed one in the area in the past and see what can of problems the cache encountered or why it was archived.

I also can not Log a cache from a previous date. If I go caching out of the area, when I get back home to log my caches it will no longer reflect when I actually made the find/s for that time period.

So far most of the changes have helped you make it easer to generate income for the site but added nothing that great to the functionality or followed the old saying one step forward two steps back.

The back dating of log bug has been fixed.

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com. Although there have been numerous bug fixes, the primary focus has been to improve the process for creating and renewing Premium Memberships.

We are now offering 4 different ways of purchasing a Premium Membership, with both PayPal and credit cards being accepted. PayPal no longer requires a subscription ID and both methods are instant. Any active PayPal (renewing) subscriptions will remain valid unless, or until, it is canceled for whatever reason.

PayPal

• $30 Annual Premium Membership (Non-Renewing)

Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover)

• 1 Year Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $30 USD/Year
  • 1 Year Premium Membership - $30 USD/Year
  • 3 Month Premium Membership (Auto-Renew) - $10 USD/3 Months

And now for the bug fixes! Here they are in no particular order:

• Updated email notifications for Premium Membership
  • The "renew" membership link will now only appear if the membership is within 60 days of expiration
  • Re-ordered page titles for cache pages. e.g.: GCTANE Trees of Greenlake: The Empress (Multi-cache) in Washington, United States created by licibear & drizzle
  • Updated freetrial.aspx page with new language and error checking
  • Added region search to UK and Ireland
  • Updated Send to GPS functionality for Garmin devices so the Gpx output is in GML (or the Garmin Modeling Language), a subset of html.
  • Slovak cache note added
  • An audit log note is now created when an adoption is complete.
  • Re-arranged the /my/ page for cleaner presentation
  • Added new icon to search results which indicates multiple Travel Bugs are placed in a cache
  • Rebuilt "about us" page
  • Improved spacing between username and log out link on home page
  • Updated mailing address for Groundspeak on contact us
  • Added MacCaching link to list of GPS software
  • Removed all hard coded instances of nearest.aspx
  • Pocket Query page will now properly post back when a different coordinate format is selected from the dropdown
  • Fixed mispelling in Glossary
  • Added error checking to /track page when searching for non-existent travel bug
  • Fixed issue that prevented the selecting of state/province on membership creation page
  • Fixed map on edit cache page to properly display new coordinates
  • Text change instructing users on contacting Shop Groundspeak on Contact Us
  • Updated Copyright notice on TOU page
  • Various dates and typos have been fixed in the TOU
  • Added CacheBerry to list of GPS software links
  • Fixed grammar issue on cache submission form
  • Fixed issue with odd characters being used in username creation
  • Updated Shop Groundspeak contact info on Contact Us page
  • Removed find and hide count from friends list
  • Removed references to "stash note" from /seek page
  • Fixed Pocket Query issue where no results were found when Flashlight Required attribute is enabled
  • Fixed issue with Google Earth KML causing errors for certain Travel Bugs and Geocoins
  • Fixed issue with certain Geocoins failing activation
  • Fixed login link on geocoin faq page
  • Updated link to support page on contact us
  • Added to cache pages the ability to click through to a complete list of shared Bookmark Lists
  • Fixed issue with ampersands in encrypted cache hints adding nonsense code each time it is decrypted
  • Removed HTML Encoding for cache pages when using Send to GPS functionality
  • Fixed issue with Travel Bug dropdown menus duplicating each time an item is selected
  • Changed wording on FAQ page to clarify "Where you *hide* a cache is up to you"
  • Updated FAQ on proper process for adopting trackables
  • Improved decrypt/encrypt feature by maintaining original line breaks
  • Fixed spelling errors in FAQ and Glossary
  • Entering an invalid cache ID in the PQ generator now correctly reports the error
  • Updated wording on the "email a user" page
  • An error will now be generated when attempting to transfer ownership of a virtual or webcam cache using the /adopt tool
  • Fixed issue with random route not loading when page is posted back (User Routes)
  • Removed ability to queue "My Finds" PQ if user has no finds
  • When submitting a cache listing the "hide a cache" page now defaults to the account's country. If a region is chosen it will also select the default region.
  • Trackable activation wizard will now default to today's date
  • Added asterisk to Mega-Event caches in profile geocache tab
  • Removed redundant text from cache creation page
  • Fixed rating functionality for bookmark lists to properly display or hide based on ratings
  • Removed broken link to "country map" from UK cache pages
  • Added CITO logos to logousage.aspx
  • Fixed issue where some usernames starting with a number or symbol were not accepted
  • Fixed issue with URLs not displaying properly in cache logs
  • Remove geocoin text from trackable FAQ (they have their own FAQ)
  • Fixed issue on /track where hitting the enter key does not submit search
  • Fixed issues with Green Jeep Travel Bug pages where the CSS displayed incorrectly.

As usual, please reply in this thread with any problems that come up as a result of this release. If you need clarification on any of these, just ask.

We still have plenty to keep us busy, so if your favorite bug didn't make it into this release, fear not. We will get to it as soon as possible. :laughing:

Haven't seen this officially addressed, but it may tie into the PQ preview thing.

In the Geocaching Maps page, no matter what address you try to search for, the map reloads back to the Green Lake Park screen.

Using IE7/Vista with the latest patches, it's showing the following error:

Line: 3518

Char: 5

Error: Object required

Code:0

URL: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx

Also, a minor thing, but you have to physically click the "Go..." Simply hitting enter does not submit the address.

Otherwise, for me, everything is great with the site.

You know, multiple people have complained about having to scroll right/left to see everything on their screen. I don't have this problem. All the pages render in a usable format on my browser. I do see some of the "extra spacing" issues, but it doesn't make the site unusable. Maybe it would help Groundspeak if those complaining about the left/right scrolling issues post what browser, what size screen, and what resolution they are using.

I have a 19" flat panel, using Firefox 3.0.1, and my screen resolution is 1280x1024.

Yes, I'm quoting myself, because now I'm at work and I took another look at GC.com, on a 15" laptop, using Firefox 3.0.1, and my screen resolution is 1024x768 and I *still* don't have a right/left scrolling issue.

Must be an IE issue or screen resolution issue. I recommend that all GC.com users upgrade to Firefox and set your screen resolution to at least normal size (even 15" monitors support 1024x768) :laughing:

The back dating of log bug has been fixed.

Thank You

Why did you have to screw-up a good thing? Where is the option to select your own state and see a list of the events for the next several months? Where is the option to see a list of the new caches and new TB drops in your area? I really don't care if there is an event in Belgium next week or if a travel bug was dropped into a cache in Nova Scotia yesterday! Also it appears that cache websites developed in HTML format are having the left 20% of the page cut off (e.g. GC1A9E2).

Yes, I'm quoting myself, because now I'm at work and I took another look at GC.com, on a 15" laptop, using Firefox 3.0.1, and my screen resolution is 1024x768 and I *still* don't have a right/left scrolling issue.

Must be an IE issue or screen resolution issue. I recommend that all GC.com users upgrade to Firefox and set your screen resolution to at least normal size (even 15" monitors support 1024x768) :laughing:

It will probably be a screen resolution issue, but when we go out caching we take a mini laptop (Asus EEE PC) with us and that has a maximum resolution of 800 x 400 and we can't even see the coordinates anymore.

PLEASE SET IT BACK AS BEFORE

We are using Windows XP with IE 6

Edited by JanH

I took another look at GC.com, on a 15" laptop, using Firefox 3.0.1, and my screen resolution is 1024x768 and I *still* don't have a right/left scrolling issue.

It will probably be a screen resolution issue, but when we go out caching we take a mini laptop (Asus EEE PC) with us and that has a maximum resolution of 800 x 400 and we can't even see the coordinates anymore.

PLEASE SET IT BACK AS BEFORE

We are using Windows XP with IE 6

I have another suggestion that may work for you: http://wap.geocaching.com

How can we get back to the individual state pages...that listed the events in one section, then newest caches, travel bugs etc?

It was very handy...is it still there somewhere? If so how do we navigat to it?

Edit: Nevermind...I found it on the hide and seek page...carry on.

Edited by butrflybec

I cannot preview my pocket Query's. This is NOT GOOD.

Its still there for me.

Thanks! Your query has been modified You can preview the search on the nearest cache page.

I believe they are talking about on the main query page, where all your query`s are listed. the icon next to "preview query in Google Maps" icon is dead.

The function " preview " of pockets queries do not work any more

[*]Improved decrypt/encrypt feature by maintaining original line breaks
yay, that was one of my request. Will be very usefull when you log a long text with a single phrase crypted, it will no more break all the log by creating a single huge and unreadable paragraph.

• Congrats on the new homepage look.
  • Driving directions, wow! Geocaching today is nothing like it was 5 years ago when you only had coordinates and you had to go out to find. I guess some hardcore geocachers disagree with all the tools available today.

Some observations:

• Avatar on "my" page and welcome page : instead of forcing a fixed 75x75 resize can't you simlpy resize keeping original ratio? Will avoid distorded image.
    Could also make the one from frontpage clickable to go to "my". When mouse hover it, it gives "Fpo Avatar"?
  • When viewing a cache page, the GC code displayed at the top right have a different style than before that prevents us from clicking on our name just over. In fact we still can but not in the normal way. Both in IE and FF.
  • On "my" page, I guess you will later add the Oregon to the Field Notes? Access My Field Notes For Trimble's Geocache Navigator and the Garmin Colorado/Oregon.

A question:

• is this 2.0 like I have heard many many months ago, a part of it, or, not at all?

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm using my 15" monitor laptop with no problems.

I don't have problems either with IE or with Firefox. My resolution is set at 1280x720.

Goodness ...

The GPX download has disappeared from the cache page. This was a big help in downloading a single cache for FTF-type searches. Short of downloading a full PQ to get a single cache, I had to go the "nearest" page and download a LOC and then update it in GSAK. I see some others are saying it's there under the coords, but it's not on the cache pages I see in Firefox. Please put the individual cache page GPX download back.

The visited/unvisited links are difficult to distinguish. For color blindness/accessibility reasons, I'm not sure why this should be changed from the user's default browser settings.

The page reload on decrypting the hint is not good.

The TB inventory at the bottom of the page means it will not be seen by most.

Otherwise, the layout is greatly modernized and is much more pleasing to the eye. Put a little differently, changes like this are great when they are easier to look at, more intuitive, and add functionality. With the exception of the above and some of the bug reports, this is generally the case with this upgrade.

Thanks to Opinionate and the others for moving us forward. :laughing:

How can we get back to the individual state pages...that listed the events in one section, then newest caches, travel bugs etc?

It was very handy...is it still there somewhere? If so how do we navigat to it?

Edit: Nevermind...I found it on the hide and seek page...carry on.

I still can't find this page. I see you can search caches by state from hide and seek, but what happened to the page where you saw quick lists of the latest travel bugs etc??? A

Okay, after now having looked on this from a PC with a 14 inch screen and 1280x768 resolution everything looks good with alignment and formatting.

However, on an XV6700 with 2.8-inch TFT, 65K color, QVGA (240 x 320) resolution, the formatting is terrible. The background white color doesn't show up at all, leaving the cache description black text on top of a green background. The logs have the white background, but they are in individual boxes with green spaces in between.

I'd like the new change if the Geocaching grey box at the top and the Getting Started boxes weren't forced to the very top and very bottom of my screen and if they didn't push the rest of the page to the far right, forcing a scroll to read anything.

If I can figure out how to do a screenshot of a phone, I'll post images.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'm using my 15" monitor laptop with no problems.

I don't have problems either with IE or with Firefox. My resolution is set at 1280x720.

I am not having problems with my 17" laptop, but I just bought a mini laptop with a MAXIMUM resolution of 800 x 400 and there I can't see full cache descriptions.

I hope this gets fixed.

A friend of mine who has a 15" screen with a max screen resolution of 1024 X 720 can't load cache descriptions wich have large photo's on them.

Edited by JanH

Bug: Umlauts in Mails are broken:

This is an automated message from Geocaching

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

WuLaW found Gelbe Klettermännchen (Traditional Cache) at 7/24/2008

Log Date: 7/24/2008

Klettermännchen should be Klettermännchen.

Tim

Argh... The board software won't show it the way it looks in the mails:

WuLaW found Gelbe K l e t t e r m & # 2 2 8 ; n n c h e n

Remove the spaces to get an idea.

Edited by London Rain

I've noticed that if you go to print a cache page, the map switches from a Google map to a Yahoo map. Also, the scale does not remain the same. If one zooms in on a map and then goes to the "print friendly" version, not only does the map switch to a map from a different vendor, but the scale maxes out.

Overall I like the new look, it seems nice and crisp. I had several niggling issues with the overall "logicalness" (Hey! I invented a new word!) of the site, which when I have more time, I hope to see if some of them are gone.

A lot of work. Thanks to the poor and overworked site admins!

-Pacific

I must have missed that post... glad to know there's others not having issues too!

The printing of an simple listing is terrible :laughing::laughing::unsure: . Good old system!!

Printing a cache page cuts off approximately the left 25% of the page. Hopefully fixing this is a high priority. GPS-less caching is tough enough without having to do it from memory. :laughing:

... another but less significant item. Didn't the list of owned caches used to be arranged from most recently found to least recently found? Now it is based on most recently hidden to least recently hidden. I found the old arrangement to be more useful.