Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

I cannot preview my pocket Query's. This is NOT GOOD.

Its still there for me.

Thanks! Your query has been modified You can preview the search on the nearest cache page.

That is not the preview "we" are talking about. On the list of all current PQs, we used to be able to click that "Preview Pocket Query" and get the on-screen list. That icon no longer works.

As much as I enjoy the prospect of pretending to do maintenance on my PQs to get to the link you list...well, maybe not.

I cannot preview my pocket Query's. This is NOT GOOD.

Its still there for me.

Thanks! Your query has been modified You can preview the search on the nearest cache page.

I believe they are talking about on the main query page, where all your query`s are listed. the icon next to "preview query in Google Maps" icon is dead.

OK that is broken. Ill add it to the list. thanks

Correction. The Google maps are not working on that page and the regular link seems to work for routes but not normal PQs. Ill point it out to Nate.

Edited by Michael

So far the cosmetic update looks great.

My only concern is "My inventory" is all the waaaayyyyyy at the bottom of the page. COuld that be moved back up to where it was before. That way I notice if I've been holding a TB or coin too long to give me the reminder that I need to get it back out there.

Plus I know the one in my current inventory I've had to long and need to get it back out but there is no * by it reminding me like it did before.

Other than that so far everything has worked great for me. Going to take some getting used to the cosmetic caches though, but again so far they look great!!!!

Also on my page my Avar doesn't show up but it does on the my proflie page?

Do I need to try and reupload it?

New Home page looks nice. It will take awhile to get used to things that have moved, but I know quite a bit of work went into this.

Bug - I use Firefox 3.0.1 (most current) as my browser. Went to print virtual cache GC43AF (so I would have the questions hardcopy) and text was cut off on the left margin regardless of the print size. That is, Portrait 100%, 90%, 70%, etc. I went into Internet Explorer and the page printed fine.

Hopefully, this can be fixed without too much work. Was not a problem before this upgrade.

Thanks,

Outspoken1

I'm seeing an inordinate nuumber of ASPX errors, and it's throwing a server based ASPX error rather than the old version of the "Signal" default error page. Potential security issue there. I could post a screencap of an error, but again, that just adds fuel to the security issue. Simply looks like the current .config isn't set to redirect to a default error page. Take all that with a grain of salt though, I only do this for a living :-)

-Roger

The worst bug I have found is the printing of cache descriptions is definitely broke. The print preview page shows that the right of the page is justified but the left of the page extends off the paper. The coordinates and a lot of the text is now missing on the printed pages. Please fix this.

I noticed that the unvistited link and visitied link colours are very close to each other and I have a hard time trying to see which shade of blue the link is.

Absolutely. This for me is the number 1 issue at the moment. They are so close that you can't really tell. Why two shades of blue? Makes knowing which caches you've looked at impossible to tell.

I also echo what someone else said about the whiteness. That is hard on the eyes and something closer to cream is easier. Because of that I don't find any pages easier to read, in fact quite a bit worse.

Why was the ability to search by country dropped from the front page? Those of us outside the US do use that functionality and now we have to drill down a layer. Perhaps the site could go back to being a little less US centric.

JD

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :laughing:

I second this...or rather 7th it. It was nice to be able to see if my friends were active without opening their profile and checking find counts. Removing this feature is going to increase site traffic if anything as I'll need to open up the profile of each of my friends now to see if they've been active.

On the bookmark list detail displays, clicking on the green check mark at the top of the list used to check all the boxes. I can check most of the boxes individually (but on the page I am on I can't check the first 3 caches...not sure if that is general problem [which seems likely] or somehow a specific problem to the caches.

(It sure seems that a lot of the icons/controls were broken in this release.)

Right hand side of your my account page is a view profile link it takes you to your profile as others see it. Its always been there in one form or another. From there you can click your gallery.

If you are on your account page just click on the stat banner ( which takes you to the profile page everyone else sees) then the Gallery tab.

Both possibilities where unknown ! NEW as well ??

THNX :laughing:

Edited by ikbenmamma

First of all I want to say thank you to OpinioNate in his quick response to this thread.... I've been away from the computer all day today and am just getting my first look at the new GC.com layout. Some of these comments may be old... but I wanted to respond to some of Nate's comments back to the community.

Avatar Size - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Nothing was more annoying to me than someone who can't resize their avatar and cause all kinds of formatting issues! Although, I will make one request. As a vast majority of websites (forums, etc) default to 90x90 or 100x100, can you guys take a second look and see if one of these formats will work? You'll have less avatar complaints from the general population that way!

Trackables List - Personally, I really like the /my page layout... my *only* wish here reflects that of many others here that the trackables list goes back on the right hand-side. I'm afraid too many trackables will get lost and forgotten if they are "out of sight, out of mind". That makes me less likely to purchase more Travel Bugs (hint, hint, Groundspeak).

Bookmark Ratings - Again, THANK YOU! One question about bookmark lists... I didn't see any mention of it, but did you manage to squash the bug that would keep me from switching to page two or three (or more) of a bookmark list? It would say it was on page two or three, but still show page one's bookmarks...

Removal of Friend's finds and hides - I'll echo the comments of many... it's now a useless feature. I know who my friends are. I want to know how many hides and finds they have... quickly. I also never had a problem with it being "out-of-date". Those numbers were always accurate for me... and my friends run the gamut of the noob who finds one cache a month to "BackBrakeBilly".

As a programmer of sorts myself, I know what an incredible undertaking this must be for Groundspeak and I applaud their efforts at making things better, faster and more reliable for us. Thanks guys!

TheBisch

Thank you for all your comments, folks. I will try to briefly remark on the big ones.

Avatar squished: 75x75 pixels is the ideal height/width for avatars on the site. If you don't care to change your avatar it's really only yourself that has to view the mini-avatar on the homepage.

Bookmark rating rules: If, after receiving a minimum of 5 ratings, a bookmark has less than 50% favorable votes it will disappear from cache pages. This has always been the rule but it didn't work properly until now.

Trackables list moved: For now the list will stay where it is, but the /my/ page is next on the chopping block for redesign. We will take your desires into account when it is created.

Removal of Friend's List hides/finds: These stats never displayed properly. As with the encrypt/decrypt feature above, we had not time to make it work, but neither did we want to leave something that was obviously broken up on the site. This will get another look in the future and return when it can be done right.

We will continue to monitor this thread and make tweaks to the update. Thank you again for your comments.

Yep - I'm with the folks who want the trackables inventory back where it used to be on the 'My Account' page. I don't need the "Hello Annie & PB" and avatar box at all. I know who I am!!! LOL It would be much more valuable information to have my inventory there -- along with the reminder it used to have when you have them for two weeks.

Any chance of getting this back, and the inventory back where it used to be?????

And what is the reason for having the hello and avatar picture???? It doese not give any useful information as far as I am concerned.

Annie

Yep - I'm with the folks who want the trackables inventory back where it used to be on the 'My Account' page. I don't need the "Hello Annie & PB" and avatar box at all. I know who I am!!! LOL It would be much more valuable information to have my inventory there -- along with the reminder it used to have when you have them for two weeks.

Any chance of getting this back, and the inventory back where it used to be?????

And what is the reason for having the hello and avatar picture???? It doese not give any useful information as far as I am concerned.

Annie

From a previous post

Thank you for all your comments, folks. I will try to briefly remark on the big ones.

Avatar squished: 75x75 pixels is the ideal height/width for avatars on the site. If you don't care to change your avatar it's really only yourself that has to view the mini-avatar on the homepage.

Bookmark rating rules: If, after receiving a minimum of 5 ratings, a bookmark has less than 50% favorable votes it will disappear from cache pages. This has always been the rule but it didn't work properly until now.

Trackables list moved: For now the list will stay where it is, but the /my/ page is next on the chopping block for redesign. We will take your desires into account when it is created.

Removal of Friend's List hides/finds: These stats never displayed properly. As with the encrypt/decrypt feature above, we had not time to make it work, but neither did we want to leave something that was obviously broken up on the site. This will get another look in the future and return when it can be done right.

We will continue to monitor this thread and make tweaks to the update. Thank you again for your comments.

Edited by Michael

I'm on the site all day long using five different accounts. I will leave one session using my cache reviewer account, and return to the computer hours later to log finds under my player account. Sometimes I goof. It's extremely useful to have a quick visual cue that lets me know who I am!

Here are a few problems to look into when you have the time....

The search by PID# on the Benchmark Hunting homepage takes you to the "Other Search Options" page rather than the requested benchmark.

You cannot select any of the 'radio buttons' on the "Other Search Options" page.

The layout on the benchmark page has the list of available map links covering part of the log for the benchmark when using Firefox, but looks fine with IE 7. Use Firefox to check the log on this benchmark.

Thanks for your efforts.

John

Forgot to mention 1 computer is using XP with a resolution of 1280X960 and the other is using Vista with a resolution of 1440X900.

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

how do I find a cache by waypoint id?

also, search by coordinates seems to be broken for me. I entered "n 37 19.351 w 122 03.195" into the box and it returned me caches near "n 00 00.000 e 000 00.000"

I just tried it on the hide and seek page and got this as the result.

By Waypoint - From Origin: N 37° 19.351 W 122° 03.195

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...;submit8=Search

its working fine for me

Okay, the search page is better again. For some reason, all the options had vanished when I tried it earlier.

I like that the navigational stuff isn't at the top anymore; so I don't have to scroll past it, but now lots of stuff seems to go off the right edge of the window. When I'm submitting a log, I can't even see what I'm typing half the time. That's kind of annoying.

As to "Friendlist counts where never working properly"...

I used to use a Greasemonkeyscript to save my friends caching-counts in the firefox-registry and compare these to the actual numbers whenever I revisit the friendpage. Then with the script applying colour-highlighting to my friends "id-cards" in the friendlist I was easily able to see who found new caches or hid some.

These displays where _always_ (at least for during the last year) correct for the founds and during the last months used to be correct for the caches hidden (ok, they decremented when a cache was deactivated, but no complaints there).

Having 20 entries on my friendlist this was an easy way to keep track.

In which cases have the numbers been incorrect? For my part I really cannot confirm that they where broken and thus cannot understand why they where removed.

cu rflexor

I may have missed it. I use GSAK and if a new cache was published in the area I would just hit the "Download GPX" and then I could load it into GSAK. I only did this if I have already received my PQ for new caches. I can't find the "Download GPX" option. Am I missing something?

As to "Friendlist counts where never working properly"...

I used to use a Greasemonkeyscript to save my friends caching-counts in the firefox-registry and compare these to the actual numbers whenever I revisit the friendpage. Then with the script applying colour-highlighting to my friends "id-cards" in the friendlist I was easily able to see who found new caches or hid some.

These displays where _always_ (at least for during the last year) correct for the founds and during the last months used to be correct for the caches hidden (ok, they decremented when a cache was deactivated, but no complaints there).

Having 20 entries on my friendlist this was an easy way to keep track.

In which cases have the numbers been incorrect? For my part I really cannot confirm that they where broken and thus cannot understand why they where removed.

cu rflexor

Just because you can not verify something does not mean it is not true. For you it was working. This was not the case with everyone.

Edited by Michael

I may have missed it. I use GSAK and if a new cache was published in the area I would just hit the "Download GPX" and then I could load it into GSAK. I only did this if I have already received my PQ for new caches. I can't find the "Download GPX" option. Am I missing something?

It's on the individual cache page, center large button just below the coordinates. Label on button says "GPX eXchange File". I just tested it's download and import into GSAK. Works just fine.

We haven't had standard compliant code for a long time, and now that we do all of the allowances we made in the past are coming back to bite us. We're investigating options for some kind of compromise now, so I'll let you know as soon as I know.

I strongly support use of standard-compliant HTML. However, the current site is a LONG way from standard compliant. I just checked a typical cache page (with no user HTML) and the W3 validator reports over 300 errors.

I'm seeing extra line spacing in cache descriptions. I'm using Opera, like one other person who reported a similar problem.

The discrepancy is almost certainly due to the lack of standard-compliant HTML. When HTML contains errors (talking to the general audience now, I'm sure Nate knows this), browsers change their rendering mode from "standard" to "quirks". Even a single error typically invokes quirks mode. These days, browsers tend to work very consistently in standards mode (even that one from Microsoft). Browsers will never be consistent in quirks mode, because it's only defined as "what would IE do".

Please make gc.com pages actually really standard compliant. That would probably solve 2/3 of the problems mentioned in this thread.

I haven't looked at the errors carefully. The DOCTYPE is XHTML 1.0 strict. Perhaps you got the HTML right but the DOCTYPE wrong?

Edward

Squeaky wheel alert: Add me to the list of folks who would much prefer the trackables inventory closer to the top of the page. It's a constant reminder of what you still have; people might forget about them otherwise. I predict a larger percentage of "lost" trackables otherwise.

Aesthetically, I think the site looks a lot less professional now. But if I can't say anything nice... well, ok, so I said it anyway.

Since you are upgrading the site, it it possible to now have the COUNTY and state of a cache listed. It would be most beneficial due to all of the "State County Challenges" that are out there.

I'm assuming it's not too difficult since it can be done on several websites (i.e. itsnotabouthtenumbers.com)

Just my 2 cents....

The new release seems to have a changed the printing of the description pages:

The left part is truncated so some text is missing. This is in IE and FF.

I confirm that printing is broken also in MacOS Safari / FF3. This is bad -- I usually print 4 first pages (including logs) to one A4 before my trip. I might have 10-30 caches printed out. I can't find a way to do that anymore.

Edited by iipee

Well, add me to not happy about the cosmetic changes.

I use a Pocket PC w/ WM5 and PIE so I'm used to pages being screwy on formatting. But, GC.com formerly was useable regardless.

Now the grey box at the top fills my screen, leaving the rest bright green. I scroll to the right and the page is really spaced out, but fits in my screen width-wise (green is hard to read this small), then scroll back to the left and all the way down to find the Getting Started box in line with the grey box at the top.

The Getting Started has linked text displaying on top of the graphic.

Something is causing a hangup in loading, it will quickly load 321 kb, then hangs for probably 5-8 seconds, then finishes loading.

I rarely use my laptop for anything and don't use the WAP site since the owner isn't emailed notices of my log, so my phone through the normal site is how I access all aspects of geocaching.

This new design really is un-user friendly for mobile users.

There seems to have been an awful lot of bugs introducted by this release, many of them things that are obvious (cache pages not displaying correctly being an example).

It's clear that insufficient testing on the new design has taken place. Can future releases please be tested better before being put live?

Thanks

Andy

Well I can be happy with it too if I try hard enough and remember that it is down there. :laughing: I will get used to it just like I have gotten used to previous changes in page layouts. I tell customers all the time when installing new software that they will likely hate it for a few hours/days/weeks, but after that if I tried to change it back they would scream.

On the Geocaching Home>Benchmarking>find a benchmark page,

I cannot select "By Designation" nor the "By Coordinates", nor can I click on the drop down arrows for the N/S or W/E.

It appears that the left side advertisement is lapping over onto the areas that I mentioned. I found this by trying to Highlight By Coordinates to copy and could not do that nor the By Designation.

Can you fix this? This page info is used quite a bit by us Benchmark hunters.

Thank you kindly!

Shirley~

Has anyone mentioned that the search for by ZIP/Postal Code: produces the wrong results

on http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

THIS IS POTENTIALLY VERY EMBARRASSING as it is the first thing a newcomer will search by!

Although it seems OK on the advanced search page

Advanced search still looses its cache type filter on subsequent pages - I'd have thought that would have been near to the to of the 'to do' list :laughing:

Edited by Delta68

When we go out geocaching we take a mini laptop wich has only a screen resolution of 800 x 400 and we can't even see the coordinates anymore . The left half of the cache description is cut off and we can't scroll to the left to see them. Even the titles are cut in half. This is no progress if it is impossible to see the coordinates.

Just a note;

Last Night I reported that the download buttons were not permanently displaying.

I believe others have since reported this too.

In my case it seems a Greasemonkey script was stopping the buttons displaying.

Pity as I liked one particular script which indicated if I had already logged a cache. :laughing:

[*]Removed find and hide count from friends list

Looks like a lot of great fixes, but I can't understand "Removed find and hide count from friends list". You have now removed the only useful feature of the Friends List. :laughing:

P.S. Also just noticed that my avatar pic displays on GC.com, but it is "squished". Does it require different formatting than in the forums?

Can this be reinstated! I too found this useful to see whether my caching friends had been out and about.

Now it looks like I need to check each friend out to see if they've been active.

"My Friends" is no longer a useful feature!!

Jardry

It seems the google map connection for at least one cache doesn't work correctly:

GCJN70: Team_EoN #1 [GroundZero N59E14]

Maybe all the zeroes in the coordinates is confusing something? (It's N 59° 00.000 E 014° 00.000)

The maps show a place about 300km southwest of the real position.

It's on the individual cache page, center large button just below the coordinates. Label on button says "GPX eXchange File". I just tested it's download and import into GSAK. Works just fine.

Glens911 are probably using FireFox like me, where the large buttons are gone. Opening the page in IE (v.7 in this case) shows the buttons.

/René

Glens911 are probably using FireFox like me, where the large buttons are gone. Opening the page in IE (v.7 in this case) shows the buttons.

/René

Just got home from work and used IE7 and there are the buttons. But like you said no buttons in firefox ver 2

OK, after trying for half an hour to change this I give up. Please could someone explain:

- which photo on the profile page is used for this new 75x75 image?

- how, having uploaded a suitable 75x75 image, I can get it to appear in place of the squished image?

Having asked that, what really was the point of this change? What value is there in displaying my avatar to me? And what value is there in all the log listings on the profile page saying "The White Family found...", The White Family placed...". It's my profile page: what else is it going to say? The previous "You found..." was perfectly adequate.

This is just change for change's sake, which wouldn't be so bad if it actually worked:

- cache pages cut off on the left

- profile pages cut off on the left

- double line spacing in logs

- PQ preview not working

These are basic things, which any amount of testing would have disclosed.

Don't know if anybody has mentioned this yet but it seems that the caches along a route feature is broken. I am unable to save any new routes or even page through the routes I've already uploaded. At present I can only see page 1 of my existing saved routes. Apparently I can create PQs from the first page of routes that are visible, but unfortunately I was trying to set up a new route for an out-of-town trip I'm taking today. Guess I will not be caching on the way. :laughing:

Ditto on the comments of others to move the bug inventory back over to a sidebar instead of the bottom.