Release Notes 7/23/08

OpinioNate

:anitongue: I am havins same problems others are having, Unable to download to my GPS'r. I keep getting Fatal Error codes. I use a Garmin Colorado 400t. I re-loaded the communicator software but no improvement. Some Caches will download, but alot of them will not.

Kinda sucks was planning trip to "Sweep" an area I haven't done. I guess I will have to delay until problem solved

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ee-6645a98268de

I can't send this to GPS (because of the & character in the username)

There are problems with the Garmin Communicator Plugin. Basically, it's barfs on ampersands, even though the file we send to it is perfect. I think the solution is going to have to be that we strip every bit of HTML from a cache page before sending it to the Garmin.

:laughing: I am havins same problems others are having, Unable to download to my GPS'r. I keep getting Fatal Error codes. I use a Garmin Colorado 400t. I re-loaded the communicator software but no improvement. Some Caches will download, but alot of them will not.

Kinda sucks was planning trip to "Sweep" an area I haven't done. I guess I will have to delay until problem solved

I'm so glad it's not only me - I just got my garmin etrex venture today and was so bummed when half the stuff I wanted to d/l wouldn't go :anitongue:

Edited by two ninjas and mom

I hate it already. First of all when i go to my friends page, I can't see how many caches they've found without actually clicking on their names.

Secondly it's taking forever to update my finds.

The page is way too busy, I don't need to look my avatar on my home page, I know what it looks like.

:anitongue: Not happy that my "visited" links colors and my "unvisited" links colors are either the same now or very, very similar. Not sure if that is a function of my browser or what - but it is now impossible to pick out new caches I have not looked at (for bookmark purposes, etc.). I am bummed about this... Having to manually override the colors in my browser so that I can pick them out now. This in turn causes part of the pages to blank out - notably the links on the left side for "My Account", "Forums" etc. A real pain to change my browser options back & forth now.

:laughing: I am havins same problems others are having, Unable to download to my GPS'r. I keep getting Fatal Error codes. I use a Garmin Colorado 400t. I re-loaded the communicator software but no improvement. Some Caches will download, but alot of them will not.

I'm so glad it's not only me - I just got my garmin etrex venture today and was so bummed when half the stuff I wanted to d/l wouldn't go :anitongue:

Yup, poorly timed "software fix". I guess I will go Terracache tommorow instead

Refresh for encrypt/decrypt: We had some issues with the Javascript involved and found it quickest and easiest to simply refresh the page. This will get another look soon to return the old functionality.

The ability to decrypt the hint without refreshing the entire page was a HUGE success when it was introduced. Reverting to the "Quickest & Easiest" fix was a Bad Idea and Bad Programming. And all to fix a fairly minor bug.

As it was, I was hoping that the same ability would be offered when decrypting encrypted logs, but I guess that would not be quick, nor easy.

The new release seems to have a changed the printing of the description pages:

The left part is truncated so some text is missing. This is in IE and FF.

Until now I used to print the description pages. Before this, I decrypted the hint (very ugly that now the page is reloaded as noted before) and printed two or three pages. So I have some logs and were happy outside.

PDF formatting is ugly because it writes all the text in one line and does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

"Print Simple (no logs)" is ugly because the missing logs and it does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

Please bring back the old printing!

Rgds

Walter (walter1)

Okay. Found your new 'print' button. I was used to printing the normal way. Print version doesn't decrypt hints. PDF version definitely needs work. It prints 'additional hints' in light blue.

Any pages with photos (as with some of my mystery caches) many thing run off the right hand side of the page.

And, It's too bright! Bright white bothers my eyes. :anitongue:

I have the same issue as walter 1. It's useless trying to print the cache pages, the're truncated/missing sections altogether, and jumbled. I scaled down to 30% and it was still a broken up mess. The only thing I can think of is to print screen shots, but I haven't tried that yet and it will be a true pain to do that with a decent number of caches for each day!

OK, now I found the print buttons so the print is good, but no logs. If I want logs, I have to go with PDF :laughing: phooey!!

Looked at a couple print previews and they appear unusable.

TO ALL THE ABOVE :

Here oversees - up in the Netherlands - I always click on MAKE THIS PAGE PRINT FRIENDLY !

THEN : !!!!! -->

If you are a premium member - typ behind existing tekst in URL &pf=y&decrypt=y&numlogs=5 ... you can change the number of logs to show ! ...

If you are NOT a premium member - typ behind existing tekst in URL &pf=y&decrypt=y !!!

It will be printed correctly !!

At least here it does ....

The new release seems to have a changed the printing of the description pages:

The left part is truncated so some text is missing. This is in IE and FF.

Until now I used to print the description pages. Before this, I decrypted the hint (very ugly that now the page is reloaded as noted before) and printed two or three pages. So I have some logs and were happy outside.

PDF formatting is ugly because it writes all the text in one line and does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

"Print Simple (no logs)" is ugly because the missing logs and it does not print the decrypted hint - even if I decrypted it before.

Please bring back the old printing!

Rgds

Walter (walter1)

Okay. Found your new 'print' button. I was used to printing the normal way. Print version doesn't decrypt hints. PDF version definitely needs work. It prints 'additional hints' in light blue.

Any pages with photos (as with some of my mystery caches) many thing run off the right hand side of the page.

And, It's too bright! Bright white bothers my eyes. :laughing:

I have the same issue as walter 1. It's useless trying to print the cache pages, the're truncated/missing sections altogether, and jumbled. I scaled down to 30% and it was still a broken up mess. The only thing I can think of is to print screen shots, but I haven't tried that yet and it will be a true pain to do that with a decent number of caches for each day!

OK, now I found the print buttons so the print is good, but no logs. If I want logs, I have to go with PDF :ph34r: phooey!!

Looked at a couple print previews and they appear unusable.

TO ALL THE ABOVE :

Here oversees - up in the Netherlands - I always click on MAKE THIS PAGE PRINT FRIENDLY !

THEN : !!!!! -->

If you are a premium member - typ behind existing tekst in URL &pf=y&decrypt=y&numlogs=5 ... you can change the number of logs to show ! ...

If you are NOT a premium member - typ behind existing tekst in URL &pf=y&decrypt=y !!!

It will be printed correctly !!

At least here it does ....

((( I SEE IT IS 6:08 YOUR TIME, THANK GOD HERE IT IS 04:05, SO I WISH EVERYBODY GOOD NIGHT :anitongue:, AT LEAST I'M GOING... )))

Edited by ikbenmamma

Site appears to be down. Guess new code was too much. Hope they didn't have the Colorado developers working on it.

LOL, I just wish they would inform us when they are taking the site down. I was in the middle of logging and BAM...the site goes down.

ERROR!

www.geocaching.com

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>"

www.geocaching.com/my - server not found!

One BIG remark to the people who deal with our remarks :

What I really would LOVE TO SEE :

A LINK TO A LIST OF THE WATCHERS OF MY CACHE(S).

At least for the cache OWNERS, it is not a big secret is it, if you watch the cache, you have nothing to HIDE is it, if you watch a cache !!!!

I THINK WHEN COINS ARE RIPPED, IT MUST HAVE BEEN ONE OF US !!!! SOMEONE WHO ALLREADY DID THE CACHE AND PUT IT ON THE WATCHLIST ! SO WHEN A CACHER LOGS AND MAKES THE REMARK OF A COIN DROP, SOMEONE CAN GET TO THE CACHE ASAP !!!

I will not believe it goes like this, but unfortunately it has to be this way in many cases...

Maybe when the list is public (again : at least for the owner), they will not watch a cache that soon ?? I don't know, I just think it would be nice if such a link would be provided to the cache-owners, or for everybody...

So for a new release please consider a link by :

You are 1 of 9 user(s) watching this cache.

-or-

6 User(s) are watching this cache.

Thanx,

IkbenMamma

Please fix the hint decrypt/encrypt button on the cache description page.

It used to be where you click decrypt/encrypt and it did not refresh the page. Now the when you click decrypt/encrypt, the page refreshes.

So when you want to get back to the search results page by clicking the back button, you have to click back 3 or 4 times.

Other than that problem, I love the home page design. I am very happy that the log in is now on the home page.

Guess I am glad I always and still use FireFox/Greasemonkey/Mnenhy to do this for cache hints and the logs. Highlight, right click, decrypt.

I get this at the geocaching.com home page:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Site appears to be down. Guess new code was too much. Hope they didn't have the Colorado developers working on it.

LOL, I just wish they would inform us when they are taking the site down. I was in the middle of logging and BAM...the site goes down.

What about this for a suggestion... MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT AHEAD OF TIME WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO DO A MAJOR SITE UPDATE!!!!

I can't log in at all, and still haven't received a PQ that I was going to use on my trip to MS tomorrow. With a little advance warning, I would have downloaded the PQ either this morning or yesterday.

:laughing: *mumble*mumble*mumble* :laughing:

((( I SEE IT IS 6:08 YOUR TIME, THANK GOD HERE IT IS 04:05, SO I WISH EVERYBODY GOOD NIGHT :laughing:, AT LEAST I'M GOING... )))

It sounds like it will be a long night for somebody from Seattle... at least until the bugs get under control. :laughing::laughing:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to know that they're working hard on trying to improve the website. Good luck squashing those bugs!

One BIG remark to the people who deal with our remarks :

What I really would LOVE TO SEE :

A LINK TO A LIST OF THE WATCHERS OF MY CACHE(S).

It is a privacy issue, and it will never happen. This topic is for problems related to the current code release, not for feature requests. If you search the forums, you will see this has been discussed before. Please stick to code release issues only.

I hate it already. First of all when i go to my friends page, I can't see how many caches they've found without actually clicking on their names.

Secondly it's taking forever to update my finds.

The page is way too busy, I don't need to look my avatar on my home page, I know what it looks like.

I don't hate it but I heartily agree about seeing the # of finds for "My Friends"! It's a quick way to see what they've been up to.

I also agree about the "Welcome" box with avatar etc. - unecessary clutter IMHO

That said, I acknowledge the great work these folks do for us!! Thanks guys and gals

Well, I'd poke around and tell you what I think, but I can't seem to get logged in. When I try to visit my profile page where I always start (from the favorites list in my computer) I'm told that I must log in, but when I click that link, of the login link in the corner, I get a "Runtime error"

I'll shut down for a few minuted and then come try again. Before this happened, I noticed that some larger text in my profile page had the lines overlapping each other with no seperrating space

((( I SEE IT IS 6:08 YOUR TIME, THANK GOD HERE IT IS 04:05, SO I WISH EVERYBODY GOOD NIGHT :laughing:, AT LEAST I'M GOING... )))

It sounds like it will be a long night for somebody from Seattle... at least until the bugs get under control. :laughing::laughing:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to know that they're working hard on trying to improve the website. Good luck squashing those bugs!

I'm glad they're smarter (and/or more educated) and more persistant than me. It would never get fixed if I was working on it. I'd be balled up crying in the corner.

Yes at the moment they are working on it. There is a problem. It will be back as soon as possible

banghead.gif

I'm gonna go get a cup of coffee while it get's worked on. Someone in Seattle...Take some over to Headquarters, as i think they will not have he time to get it themselves. Maybe we should have some pizzas delivered there? Can't they be ordered online now?

I'm trying to get a 0/0 user to enter their home coordinates. I checked the "edit my profile" page and surprise surprise no place for it. Without that, I can't get the distance from cache calculation from new users.

A quick scan of the fixes doesn't talk about this; was this changed?

Yes they are back up, but still not working properly. I was able to download one new cache to my GPS (I think), then I tried another and got an error message. The preview link on cache query is not a link, it is a dead button. It seem like some pages are made only for wide screen monitors, it cuts off a lot on reg. monitors or overlaps stuff so you can't read the left side of the page. Just tried to download again and it worked, then it didn't....very sporatic.

Edited by Lookout4

One SMALL other thing I would like to be added ... :laughing:

If I am on my own page ... http://www.geocaching.com/my/ .... and I would like to see the pictures in my gallery, the way I do it now is as follows:

I open Geocaches (Mine)

I click of one of my cache(listings)

I click on my name at : a cache made by ikbenmamma

Then I see my profile, the way other people see my profile...

Last step;

I click om GALLERY !!!!

I would love to see a DIRECT link from the http://www.geocaching.com/my/

Maybe there is some space to create at this line ...

Quick View | Watchlist | Geocaches (Mine) | Travel Bugs (Mine) | Benchmarks | Member Features | My Friends

Excually ?? I think QUICK VIEW is NOT nesscesarry ?? up there (Do not know how to spell these), because the MY ACCOUNT on your left is ALWAYS THERE !!!!

So it IS possible for exemple to change Quick View in Gallery....

If I am on my own page ... http://www.geocaching.com/my/ .... and I would like to see the pictures in my gallery, the way I do it now is as follows:

I open Geocaches (Mine)

Last step;

I click om GALLERY !!!!

Quick View | Watchlist | Geocaches (Mine) | Travel Bugs (Mine) | Benchmarks | Member Features | My Friends

Excually ?? I think QUICK VIEW is NOT nesscesarry ?? up there (Do not know how to spell these), because the MY ACCOUNT on your left is ALWAYS THERE !!!!

Right hand side of your my account page is a view profile link it takes you to your profile as others see it. Its always been there in one form or another. From there you can click your gallery.

I'm trying to get a 0/0 user to enter their home coordinates. I checked the "edit my profile" page and surprise surprise no place for it. Without that, I can't get the distance from cache calculation from new users.

A quick scan of the fixes doesn't talk about this; was this changed?

Its on the right hand side of the my account page

Search Options

Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)

List newest in Washington

View nearby benchmarks

Update home coordinates

I open Geocaches (Mine)

Last step;

I click om GALLERY !!!!

If you are on your account page just click on the stat banner ( which takes you to the profile page everyone else sees) then the Gallery tab.

Edited by IBcrashen
Yes at the moment they are working on it. There is a problem. It will be back as soon as possible

banghead.gif

I just ran two PQ's for the weekend and both worked and came in instantly. Hopefully you can get yours successfully too now.

Edited to add that Preview in Google Maps still works for me.

Edited by mtn-man

how do I find a cache by waypoint id?

also, search by coordinates seems to be broken for me. I entered "n 37 19.351 w 122 03.195" into the box and it returned me caches near "n 00 00.000 e 000 00.000"

I just tried it on the hide and seek page and got this as the result.

By Waypoint - From Origin: N 37° 19.351 W 122° 03.195

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...;submit8=Search

its working fine for me

I just tried runnng my queries again and the link seemed to work at first; however, it brought up a map of Green Lake Park (I have no idea where this is) and when I click on the list tab, it goes to the Advanced Search page. So I still cannot view my queries.

I cannot preview my pocket Query's. This is NOT GOOD.

Its still there for me.

Thanks! Your query has been modified You can preview the search on the nearest cache page.

I believe they are talking about on the main query page, where all your query`s are listed. the icon next to "preview query in Google Maps" icon is dead.

Edited by IBcrashen