Confused

vs111

Hiya,

I need some advice. I have recently hidden my first cache and after a lot of thought and preparation I submitted it to the website. I did this last Friday. On Saturday I received an email saying that I had to add the final location as a hidden waypoint beofere my cache would be published and that it had been archived until I was ready. I did this immediately and ticked the box to say the cache was active again. Since then I have heard nothing. I even tried emailing the person who archived my cache asking for help but no response. I'm really confused. Did I do something wrong with my cache listing? Is it just that there is some kind of queuing system? How do I get some help?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Vicky

x

Hi,

I took a look at your cache page, and it seems possible that your Reviewer accidentally used the archive log type instead of the disable. In the Reviewer note it says that the cache was being temporarily disabled, but it's archived.

The best thing to do is follow the advice at the end of the log and email your Reviewer with the GC number and let them know that you have put in the additional waypoints. :anitongue:

Edited by Cascade Reviewer

Hi,

I took a look at your cache page, and it seems possible that your Reviewer accidentally used the archive log type instead of the disable. In the Reviewer note it says that the cache was being temporarily disabled, but it's archived.

The best thing to do is follow the advice at the end of the log and email your Reviewer with the GC number and let them know that you have put in the additional waypoints. :anitongue:

Hiya,

I emailed them back last saturday with the GC number to tell them I had done the waypoint and it was ready but they haven't responded. What's the next step? Can cache's be un-archived?

Thanks,

Vicky

Only Reviewers can un-archive a cache.

Perhaps your Reviewer was gone over the weekend and has a back up of emails. It's possible that yours has been lost in the shuffle. Since it's been a few days, I'd personally try emailing again and see what happens. :anitongue:

O.k. I will try another email. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks,

Vicky

If that doesn't work ... since the listing is archived, it's technically no longer a pending cache placement ... you could simply create an entirely new listing with all the same information and resubmit it for approval providing the placement still meets all current guidelines and cache seperation requirements.

If that doesn't work ... since the listing is archived, it's technically no longer a pending cache placement ... you could simply create an entirely new listing with all the same information and resubmit it for approval providing the placement still meets all current guidelines and cache seperation requirements.

While that would make the new listing pop up in the Reviewer queue and thus eventually get noticed by the Reviewer, I personally advise against that. The original cache page is perfectly fine, and I'd rather not have unnecessary archived caches showing up in my nearest list.

While that would make the new listing pop up in the Reviewer queue and thus eventually get noticed by the Reviewer, I personally advise against that. The original cache page is perfectly fine, and I'd rather not have unnecessary archived caches showing up in my nearest list.

But of course, since most of us can't see "archived" caches when we do a "find nearest" ... :anitongue:

Actually, my usual approach if I don't hear back from my primary reviewer (who, I might add, is always quite prompt and does an outstanding job for our area) is to drop a note to one of the reviewers who usually covers for him when he's away -- that is of course provided you happen to know who those individuals are.

What is really driving me mad is that my reviewer isn't away, they are publishing other people's caches! I've sent two emails now, still no response. This is really disheartening for a newbie who wants to join in but for some reason is being ignored. It's so frustrating. I put a lot of effort into setting my cache and I just don't understand why it's not being published. If I made a mistake, that's fine, but with the lack of communication I have no idea what the problem is so I can fix it. :laughing:

Vicky

x

If you are not happy with the service you're receiving from your volunteer cache reviewer, please feel free to write an e-mail to Groundspeak at the special address provided for this purpose: appeals @ geocaching.com. Be sure to mention your cache's GC number when you write. Messages sent to this address are handled by the Groundspeak employees responsible for supervising the work of the volunteer cache reviewers.

If you are not happy with the service you're receiving from your volunteer cache reviewer, please feel free to write an e-mail to Groundspeak at the special address provided for this purpose: appeals @ geocaching.com. Be sure to mention your cache's GC number when you write. Messages sent to this address are handled by the Groundspeak employees responsible for supervising the work of the volunteer cache reviewers.

I don't really want to start complaining as I know people are volunteers that do this. I just need some basic communication to tell me what I've done wrong so I can fix it. I've tried a PM on this forum to the reviewer in question and hopefully they will reply to that. If not I will submit it as new as advised above.

Thanks,

Vicky

I don't really want to start complaining as I know people are volunteers that do this. I just need some basic communication to tell me what I've done wrong so I can fix it. I've tried a PM on this forum to the reviewer in question and hopefully they will reply to that. If not I will submit it as new as advised above.

Thanks,

Vicky

Vicky, don't worry. I believe everyones (or most anyway) first cache is an exercise in frustration sometimes.

I can't say this 100 percent, but I believe each time your cache is set back, it goes to the bottom of the pile.

Those without issues get pushed through ahead, then when yours comes back up, it will be rececked.

Have you emailed the reviewer back?

I've waited as long as 12 days for my reviewer to answer a COORD inquiry I made to them.

If they get backlogged, or if they are busy, then it may take a while to get it done.

After you have started planting caches, you will learn there is a method to the madness.

I learned if you plant a cache on a Monday evening or Tuesday, they get through a little quicker. I don't plant on weekends because everyone else does!

Did you do an offset or a multi? Why the use of other waypoints?

What is really driving me mad is that my reviewer isn't away, they are publishing other people's caches! I've sent two emails now, still no response. This is really disheartening for a newbie who wants to join in but for some reason is being ignored. It's so frustrating. I put a lot of effort into setting my cache and I just don't understand why it's not being published. If I made a mistake, that's fine, but with the lack of communication I have no idea what the problem is so I can fix it. :laughing:

Vicky

x

One problem I've had in the past is that the reviewer will post a note stating the problem and then saying where to email. If I used the contact email instead of the one they mention I get nowhere on my email. Check to see that you used the email address they gave and not the contact email through their reviewer account.

Turst me Groundspeak takes these emails seriously. Send them an email. The address is Appeals @ Geocaching.com

Edited by Keystone