I found an unactivated GeoCoin

handycapt

I found an unactivated Geocoin in a cache today. I should have checked here first, but alas I activated it before thinking of the forums.. Did I make a mistake? If so, can it be corrected?

What am I supposed to do with it? Place it in another cache? Can I track it like a travel bug?

Or are they collectible items?

It is a 2007 Geocahcers Association coin, Any help would be appreciated.

We regularly leave unactivated geocoins in new caches of ours as FTF prizes. Occasionally, we'll leave one in someone else's cache, if we really liked the location or the hike or some such. But we always leave a note with the thing, so that folks know what the deal is. But others like to make it a complete surprise. We have a couple of geocoins that we got that way; thought that they were someone else's travelers, but found out that they weren't in the system yet. A really nice surprise :anitongue:

Hope you enjoy your new trinket!

Thanks for all the responses.

It was a pleasant surprise. I thought I'd never have a geocoin so Karma was very nice to me.

I have multiple sclerosis and live on disability so TBs and coins aren't in my geocaching budget.

It's not a big deal at all. The fun is in the hunt.

Finding an unactivated coin though let me participate in tracking.

Oh, my son bought me a TB too.....so I'm all set.

Anyone know how to go about getting ammo boxes (cheap or free)? I am ex Navy Reserve (as if that matters), and thought about heading over to a local Navy Base and trying to scrounge some. I think it'd be fun to place some caches.

Thanks again fellow cachers.

-handycapt-

I leave unactivated coins in caches from time to time. If they're unlabeled, just loose, I assume that whoever picks them up is going to figure out that it's unactivated, and be surprised and pleased. Those are just gifts.

Sometimes I leave a note that the coin is unactivated, and should be treated as swag - ie, traded for (those are generally just taken though - I like to suppose that eventually the cacher will think to drop an unactivated coin in another cache as a sort of balance. Perhaps)