Loggin your own caches as "Found" in your stats?

SARAH !

We'll let the mods consider the difference between calling someone "Not smart enough" and calling someone "Stupid"...

We'll also let them decide whether the act of insulting a hypothetical, non-existent group of people qualifies as a personal attack.

If you weren't talking about anyone in this thread then what was the point of posting it? Was your comment just random? Maybe you should consider the possible effects of what you write before you hit the "Add Reply" button. :D

*sigh*

Maybe you could have familiarized yourself with the brief back story before typing out those accusations and hitting the "Reply" button at the bottom of my post. :D

I was talking about people in this thread. No, my comment was not "random." I was referring to the hypothetical people Castle Mischief mentioned in his post. I chose my words very carefully before I hit the "Add Reply" button.

I made a general comment about an imaginary, nonexistent group of people. It was not aimed at anyone specific; nor was it intended to offend anyone. The only point of my comment was to imply that ALL cachers are way too intelligent and mature to allow themselves to be troubled by the hypothetical situation Castle Mischief invented.

Many of my recent posts in other threads have been critical of people who go out of their way to choose to feel offended, annoyed, outraged or cheated by things that by all reason ought not to bother them. ReadyOrNot illustrated this phenomenon beautifully by taking personal offense at my post.

Logic:

Premise A: I made a comment specifically referring to those cachers who choose to be ticked off by owners who claim a FTF on their very own cache.

Premise B: No cacher has ever claimed to be ticked off by a cache owner who claimed a FTF on his very own cache. In other words, the set of people I referred to in Premise A contains zero cachers.

Premise C: ReadyOrNot is a cacher.

Therefore:

KBI’s conclusion: I insulted zero cachers.

ReadyOrNot’s conclusion: I insulted ReadyOrNot.

ReadyOrNot therefore chose, of his own free will, and against all logic, to be offended. I am appreciative of this, because he has provided me with a convenient case study to refer back to next time I want to demonstrate that no matter how provably benign a thing is, there is always someone who will choose to be offended by it anyway.

We'll let the mods consider the difference between calling someone "Not smart enough" and calling someone "Stupid"...

We'll also let them decide whether the act of insulting a hypothetical, non-existent group of people qualifies as a personal attack.

If you weren't talking about anyone in this thread then what was the point of posting it? Was your comment just random? Maybe you should consider the possible effects of what you write before you hit the "Add Reply" button. :D

*sigh*

Maybe you could have familiarized yourself with the brief back story before typing out those accusations and hitting the "Reply" button at the bottom of my post. :D

I was talking about people in this thread. No, my comment was not "random." I was referring to the hypothetical people Castle Mischief mentioned in his post. I chose my words very carefully before I hit the "Add Reply" button.

I made a general comment about an imaginary, nonexistent group of people. It was not aimed at anyone specific; nor was it intended to offend anyone. The only point of my comment was to imply that ALL cachers are way too intelligent and mature to allow themselves to be troubled by the hypothetical situation Castle Mischief invented.

Many of my recent posts in other threads have been critical of people who go out of their way to choose to feel offended, annoyed, outraged or cheated by things that by all reason ought not to bother them. ReadyOrNot illustrated this phenomenon beautifully by taking personal offense at my post.

Logic:

Premise A: I made a comment specifically referring to those cachers who choose to be ticked off by owners who claim a FTF on their very own cache.

Premise B: No cacher has ever claimed to be ticked off by a cache owner who claimed a FTF on his very own cache. In other words, the set of people I referred to in Premise A contains zero cachers.

Premise C: ReadyOrNot is a cacher.

Therefore:

KBI's conclusion: I insulted zero cachers.

ReadyOrNot's conclusion: I insulted ReadyOrNot.

ReadyOrNot therefore chose, of his own free will, and against all logic, to be offended. I am appreciative of this, because he has provided me with a convenient case study to refer back to next time I want to demonstrate that no matter how provably benign a thing is, there is always someone who will choose to be offended by it anyway.

Macaroni and cheese is one of my favorite foods.

it's warm and smooth

300_84381.jpg

Think of the silliest thing that annoys you and you'll realize that you are no better than the nameless people you just tagged as not being smart for getting annoyed with this. We all just have different hot buttons. :D
Think of the silliest thing that annoys you and you'll realize that you are no better than the nameless people you just tagged as not being smart for getting annoyed with this. We all just have different hot buttons. :D

::humps TrailGators leg::

*scampers off*

Agreed.

There are many silly and benign things which really shouldn’t bother me, but I nevertheless allow to annoy me. (People who end every single forum post with that trite and insipid wink-face, for example.)

I have never claimed it is smart of me to be annoyed by those things. I choose to allow those silly and benign to annoy me

Unlike some others, however, I am honest enough to take responsibility for my choices, and I do NOT blame others for my suffering, nor do I claim victimhood.

Agreed.

There are many silly and benign things which really shouldn't bother me, but I nevertheless allow to annoy me. (People who end every single forum post with that trite and insipid wink-face, for example.)

I have never claimed it is smart of me to be annoyed by those things. I choose to allow those silly and benign to annoy me

Unlike some others, however, I am honest enough to take responsibility for my choices, and I do NOT blame others for my suffering, nor do I claim victimhood.

What is it with this choose thing? Did you watch too many Jif commercials as a kid? :D
What is it with this choose thing? Did you watch too many Jif commercials as a kid? :D

Is there some point here that you want to discuss?

Or are you just bored?

I guess the point is that choosy mothers choose Jif. :D But seriously, I doubt that you or anyone chooses to be annoyed. It's an emotional response.
I doubt that you or anyone chooses to be annoyed. It's an emotional response.

You are partially correct.

Some folks allow their knee-jerk emotions to override their ability to reason.

Others choose to override their knee-jerk emotions with their ability to reason.

Others choose to override their knee-jerk emotions with their ability to reason.

So where does this choice fit with that?

I choose to allow those silly and benign to annoy me

The fact is that everyone does both because we are all far from being perfect.

Edited by TrailGators

I explained it in the rest of my post, the part you cropped out and chose not to quote.

Edited by KBI

We have 2 people in my area that log finds on their caches after they archive them. First an archive note, then a find note with the same message. Odd.

Sometimes when the cache was muggled, the note will say something like "Found the cache to be missing, so I'm archiving it."

Make you question the validity of their other thousands of finds. But in this game, there is no "validity" so we just snicker at their antics.

We have 2 people in my area that log finds on their caches after they archive them. First an archive note, then a find note with the same message. Odd.

Sometimes when the cache was muggled, the note will say something like "Found the cache to be missing, so I'm archiving it."

Make you question the validity of their other thousands of finds. But in this game, there is no "validity" so we just snicker at their antics.

There you go.

You smartly realized that their behavior doesn't actually affect you beyond giving you something to laugh at.

I explained it in the rest of my post, the part you cropped out and chose not to quote.

I do think it really mattered but here is the rest:

So let me "try" to put together everything you said:

1) You sometimes choose to let silly and benign things annoy you.

2) Then your ability to reason overrides this choice.

3) Then you take responsibility for choosing it and suffering as a result.

So what does that tell us in regards to this topic? Are a bunch of people "suffering" because they choose to get a little annoyed by a small minority of people acting strangely? :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

Yes, and you should never allow anyone to know what annoys you. Soon they will learn to push your buttons and have complete control. :) The annoyance needs to be released however, so instead, get upset at things that don't bother you at all. Only then will you discover who is intentionally trying to annoy you, as you cannot actually do this if you are upset, as all rational thinking gets thrown out the window.. :laughing:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Yes, and you should never allow anyone to know what annoys you. Soon they will learn to push your buttons and have complete control. :) The annoyance needs to be released however, so instead, get upset at things that don't bother you at all. Only then will you discover who is intentionally trying to annoy you, as you cannot actually do this if you are upset, as all rational thinking gets thrown out the window.. :laughing:

You are absolutely correct! :)

cache owners claiming FTF on their own caches. As far as I know nobody has done this yet – and I doubt it will ever happen.

Actually I have seen evidence of this happening. The "FTF" log was deleted from the cache so it's not completely clear. I'll have to try and dig that up. Following the FTF were a hand-full of snippy comments from the next few cachers in their find logs.

(Which isn't to say that I disagree with you. I don't think anybody would argue that this is a common issue at all.)

If I actually hid the cache myself?

No way I would post a 'Found It!'.

I do own a cache I adopted, and have never visited...you can bet I will post a 'Found It!' once I actually do.

I have hidden a few caches with the help of some friends.

My rule (clearly stated before they went out with me) is that they cannot log a find within the first year, and there must be at least one find by that time. These are not 'Urban Micros', and I have also pledged to go with them on the return visit if called upon (which I think would be the most fun anyway).

I've seen cases where a couple would be traveling and stop to hide a micro. One would hide the container while the other one would be in the store or rest area. Then the hider would give the cords and the finder would"claim" a FTF and log it :o . After I was the second legitamite finder, I refused to log it and others they have placed withing a very short driving distance. So no, logging your own finds is lame. Unless it is an event.

I've seen cases where a couple would be traveling and stop to hide a micro. One would hide the container while the other one would be in the store or rest area. Then the hider would give the cords and the finder would"claim" a FTF and log it :D . ...

The finder wasn't present when the cache was hidden, so what's the problem?
So no, logging your own finds is lame. Unless it is an event.

Nah. I still got credit for hosting the event.

It's all a matter of counting. Did you place it? The count is over here. Did you find it? The count is over there.

Never had a reason to count things any different.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I've seen cases where a couple would be traveling and stop to hide a micro. One would hide the container while the other one would be in the store or rest area. Then the hider would give the cords and the finder would"claim" a FTF and log it :ph34r: . ...

To me, it's the same thing as logging a cache you just have gotton out of your hands when you placed it, or signing the log when your buddy hides it. But different people play the game their own way. Most of us mountain people stick to the original way of hiding and finding caches, and others have developed different aspects of the game suited to their surroundings. But its not about the #'s, they can't help you out in a jam.

I've seen cases where a couple would be traveling and stop to hide a micro. One would hide the container while the other one would be in the store or rest area. Then the hider would give the cords and the finder would"claim" a FTF and log it :ph34r: . ...

Perhaps this is the start of a new "rule" for the FTF crowd, the cache must be hidden for longer than 2 hours before the coords are given out?

Or maybe the rule is that coords can only be given to people by a cache owner while the person about to look for the cache is at home?

I'm not a FTF hound so I don't know all the things that make the first person that finds a cache not the First person To Find the cache.

But its not about the #'s, they can't help you out in a jam.

Oh, I dunno about that. I have found that those smileys have real value.

Ever since I reached my 500-find milestone, the people down at my local Starbucks have been letting me in on their Buy One, Get One deal. You think they offer that to just anybody? They don’t charge me for Wi-Fi either.

And the Mexican place around the corner gives me free chips and salsa as soon as I sit down – I don’t even have to ask! They act kinda cool and nonchalant about it, and the other customers don’t seem to understand why they’re ALL suddenly being treated to freebies just because I’m in the room, but that’s okay; only the waiters and I know that it’s all done out of quiet and respectful reverence for my impressive geo-smiley accumulation.

So don’t tell me the numbers don’t matter. I even got a phone call just now from a guy offering to clean the carpet in any two rooms of my house for FREE! I’m telling you, those little smileys command respect.

Oh good gravy! Now I'm dishonest *AND* stupid...

Where's that report button...

Sorry, my mistake. I wasn't thinking of you when I posted that; I also was not aware that you answer to the name "Some Others." Won't happen again.

Ever since I reached my 500-find milestone, the people down at my local Starbucks have been letting me in on their Buy One, Get One deal. You think they offer that to just anybody? They don’t charge me for Wi-Fi either.

And the Mexican place around the corner gives me free chips and salsa as soon as I sit down – I don’t even have to ask! They act kinda cool and nonchalant about it, and the other customers don’t seem to understand why they’re ALL suddenly being treated to freebies just because I’m in the room, but that’s okay; only the waiters and I know that it’s all done out of quiet and respectful reverence for my impressive geo-smiley accumulation.

So don’t tell me the numbers don’t matter. I even got a phone call just now from a guy offering to clean the carpet in any two rooms of my house for FREE! I’m telling you, those little smileys command respect.

OK, now I'm pissed! :ph34r:

None of that stuff started happening to me until I reached 1500 smileys.

OK, now I'm pissed! :ph34r:

None of that stuff started happening to me until I reached 1500 smileys.

Probably because you haven't been finding the right kinds of caches. I mean! The world does have standards, you know. Some smileys are smiley-er than others.

I, for one, don't think you're dishonest at all.

I, for one, don't think you're dishonest at all.

Thanks!

I don't think your dishonest, stupid, or smelly..

Back to original topic

I don't like it when people log their own caches. There are occasional situations when it's ok, but hopefully the reason will be noted in the log. But who asked me? My opinion doesn't really matter in this game.

Now, if we could get paid for each smiley, my opinion could change drastically, and quickly.

I'll answer it this way...How can you "find" your own cache when you already know where it is?

I'm glad I read all the thread before I answered, as this was going to be my question.

If you already know where it is, you're not finding it, you're just looking at it.

Here are some of the common uses of the word "find":

To come upon, often by accident; meet with.

To come upon or discover by searching or making an effort

To discover or ascertain through observation, experience, or study

To obtain or acquire by effort

I don't think going to one's own cache is in agreement with any of these common uses, but if someone wants to log their own cache as "found", well.............. that's up to them.

If you already know where it is, you're not finding it, you're just looking at it.

I don't think going to one's own cache is in agreement with any of these common uses, but if someone wants to log their own cache as "found", well.............. that's up to them.

So if I were to say "I found my cache exactly where I left it" would that be incorrect usage of the word? I just can't see saying "I looked at my cache exactly where I left it". Of course some people won't log a "found it" when they found their own cache where they left it, but they might log a "found it" if they found their own cache moved twenty feet from where they left it.

I'll answer it this way...How can you "find" your own cache when you already know where it is?

I'm glad I read all the thread before I answered, as this was going to be my question.

So, any of those methods is an acceptable way to "find" a cache, is what your saying, right?

I know a cache owner who actually removed a cache, knowing that another cacher had driven over 100 miles to log it, because he wasn't "sure" he had actually solved the puzzle. He then replaced the cache, after he knew the cacher had left town.

By your definition, he found it, but was unable to log it because it had been removed temporarily by the cache owner. The cacher (and his companion) properly logged a Needs Maintenance, and a DNF, which the cache owner deleted :ph34r:

I adopted 8 caches today that I have never found (what was I thinking?). I am going out over the weekend to track them down, and I intend to log them as finds.

Same situation here -- I adopted a cache a couple of days ago that I haven't found before and the first time I go to check on it you can bet I'll log it as a Find. (Providing I can find the darn thing that is!) I have done that in the past for a couple of other caches I had adopted without ever finding first.

I adopted 8 caches today that I have never found (what was I thinking?). I am going out over the weekend to track them down, and I intend to log them as finds.

Same situation here -- I adopted a cache a couple of days ago that I haven't found before and the first time I go to check on it you can bet I'll log it as a Find. (Providing I can find the darn thing that is!) I have done that in the past for a couple of other caches I had adopted without ever finding first.

That would be pretty funny if you DNF'd it. :laughing: I shuddered when I saw this thread was back, but it's OK, I see.

Heck yes, log all 8 of them as finds.

Okay so after reading the thoughts people have on the subject and glazing over people’s spats, here is what will be my personal philosophy on logging my own caches. If I own it alone I won’t log it. If I co-own it but it is not on my account I will probably log it. If I co-own it and had nothing to do with placing it, I will log it. If it is my challenge or I co-own a challenge and THEN complete the requirements for the challenge I will log it. I would not log one of these for my daily cache to keep my streak alive as that is pushing it too far for me. People already whisper about me at events :D I won’t lose any sleep over it :D I really don’t need to pad my stats :) and finally, THIS IS A GAME PEOPLE!!! Have fun and enjoy it. The most sensible comment I saw listed here was that if it is okay with the cache owner then it is okay. That was enough for me right there and is the best take on the matter. For those of you who will call me cheesy…cheddar and Swiss are my favorites unless it’s in salad then its blue cheese or maybe gorgonzola, oh and if it is on a turkey sandwich it has to be Havarti (thanks to my wife) :rolleyes:

Okay so after reading the thoughts people have on the subject and glazing over people’s spats, here is what will be my personal philosophy on logging my own caches. If I own it alone I won’t log it. If I co-own it but it is not on my account I will probably log it. If I co-own it and had nothing to do with placing it, I will log it. If it is my challenge or I co-own a challenge and THEN complete the requirements for the challenge I will log it. I would not log one of these for my daily cache to keep my streak alive as that is pushing it too far for me. People already whisper about me at events :rolleyes: I won’t lose any sleep over it B) I really don’t need to pad my stats :) and finally, THIS IS A GAME PEOPLE!!! Have fun and enjoy it. The most sensible comment I saw listed here was that if it is okay with the cache owner then it is okay. That was enough for me right there and is the best take on the matter. For those of you who will call me cheesy…cheddar and Swiss are my favorites unless it’s in salad then its blue cheese or maybe gorgonzola, oh and if it is on a turkey sandwich it has to be Havarti (thanks to my wife) :ph34r:

I hear you, and not to argue your points - I would never log cache I had a hand in placing.

Okay, I have wondered this for a while and seen people doing this to their local caches. If you own or co-own a cache can you and should you log a found it log. Does it even count as a smiley? I've seen a bunch of people do it, and I kind of think that's it's like just so their numbers go up. Do some of the more experienced geocachers do this?

I and my caching partner jay jay55 put out caches together. Some she owns and some I own, based usually on whose idea it was. We don't log finds for the other caches.. I mean, I do the coordinates and she fills out the sheets and we place it. We both know where it is. My feeling is you put out a cache for others to find and log as finds. Others put out caches for me to find and log. One of the first caches I found and logged was very deteriorated. I wrote a maintenance note. No response. I contacted the owner.. No response.. Contacted the reviewer about adopting.... Decided to just let the original that I found become archived... I then placed a new cache there and gave it a new name. I found the original so that was a find.. but I put out the new one. Others get to log it but I don't. Now, jj55 stayed in the car while I placed this one and has no idea where it is. Mid summer and after the last "attack of the ticks" she wasn't going to go in there to place a cache lol. Not "co owned" so it's fair game for her to hunt and log.

I do put logs in to my own cache site (which is just a few seconds from my front door) when I am dealing with my personal geocoin. Since he/it travels everywhere with me, I log it in and out of each cache site I do, and then at the end of the day on occasion I will log it in to the "home" cache. This is purely to keep a track on how many miles I am doing between caches. I think that, and in the case when you adopt a cache you previously already logged as found, are both situations where self logging is acceptable.

We hid a tribute cache for Tod, it was the last cache Tod worked on before his death. Although 4 of us had a hand in placing this cache, we all 4 logged the find and were co-FTFs. We all left our own thoughts in the logbook and then held a few moments of silence before moving on.

Do I log each hide I have a part in?? No. Do I care if others do this? No. Would I change my find because it bothered someone else? No and I truly hope no one ever asks me to.

Life's just too short to worry about these things....have fun out there!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I like to see when cachers log there own hides.

It tells me alot about the person. HMMM

I could add several hundred to my finds tonight if I did this.

Oh wait if I would log my finds that are not my hides I would also add a ton to my totals.

I hate to log finds because i do not care about the numbers.

All i care about is having fun and meeting great people.

I do put logs in to my own cache site (which is just a few seconds from my front door) when I am dealing with my personal geocoin. Since he/it travels everywhere with me, I log it in and out of each cache site I do, and then at the end of the day on occasion I will log it in to the "home" cache. This is purely to keep a track on how many miles I am doing between caches. I think that, and in the case when you adopt a cache you previously already logged as found, are both situations where self logging is acceptable.

Nothing wrong with logging notes on your own caches. Most cache owners I know do it from time to time for one reason or another.

logging yer own hides as finds... childish.

at a cache I found the micro with a logbook which looked very unlike the logbooks the hider uses. turns out that micro was a fake. the real cache had been disabled and some dodo just put in his own filmrolcan and a piece of paper to log it.

I logged the find figuring the owner would enable it soon... nothing happened for days. contacted the guy : "nope, thats not my container"

so I turned the Find into a note coz i didnt find THE cache, I didnt sign THE (real) logbook.

Now the cacheowner rehid the cache, I went by to check, while i was looking an elderly lady living across the road of the park spotted me (i was in full motorcycle gear with hiviz vest, helmet in hand...) so wandered around bit.. reading the signs to the landmark, she sat down at the window...

so i bailed.

still have to return there and find the darn thing before i can log a find.

I have never claimed a find for caches I own but let me put a thought out there.

I own some caches that are at memorials. I visit these memorials on a regualar basis. My military memorials on Memorial Day & Labor Day. My Police/Firefighter/EMS memorials when we loose a brother or a sister. Etc. Would logging my visit be ok or not? Can I log it each time I go? This would also apply to virtuals: owned or not. If you go there more than once can you log it each time you go? Just a few thoughts. Often wondered what others do. MW