G.E.O.C.O.I.N F.E.S.T. 2009

avroair

With GCF Pittsburgh a little more than two months away, it's time to start to plan for 2009 (it's never too early).

So strut your stuff and propose a venue for GeocoinFest 2009, it's gotta have:

* accessible airport

* city appeal

* ample hotels in the area

* we are expecting over 500 (MEGA) so the actual site needs to hold at least that many people

* a local team of two (preferably 3) local coin coordinators

;)

So where's it gonna be?

With GCF Pittsburgh a little more than two months away, it's time to start to plan for 2009 (it's never too early).

So strut your stuff and propose a venue for GeocoinFest 2009, it's gotta have:

* accessible airport

* city appeal

* ample hotels in the area

* we are expecting over 500 (MEGA) so the actual site needs to hold at least that many people

* a local team of two (preferably 3) local coin coordinators

;)

So where's it gonna be?

Marion, Ohio 43302 How 'bout it

Wallabydave

North Jersey! ;)

Actually, that's probably more feasible than it sounds. You could rent out the Rothman Center at FDU Teaneck for your convention-floor setup, and out-of-towners can fly into Newark, shoot up the Turnpike, and stay anywhere along Rt. 4. I doubt another Northeast ("Mid-Atlantic") GCF would be well-accepted, though.

I suppose Idaho or Utah would be kinda decent cause they're close ;) but I would like to see this branch out a bit and catch a bit of International flavor.

I think you people from British Columbia need to "Cowboy Up" and get a bid in :D

Across the pond: Scotland, New Zealand, or Tahtiti would be my picks :D

I'm gonna vote for Las Vegas for a couple reasons:

1. It satisfies all the above criteria (even if it's not on the Strip)

2. Airfare is always cheaper to Las Vegas

3. It's my next duty station

I'd vote for some of the cooler places, but with my job being what it is, if it's anywhere but Vegas (or short drive from) I'm pretty much not gonna make it. Scotland would be super sweet, though.

I'd vote for some of the cooler places, but with my job being what it is, if it's anywhere but Vegas (or short drive from) I'm pretty much not gonna make it. Scotland would be super sweet, though.

Vegas would be awesome. The event could be out in Henderson. Still close enough to everything, but even more cost effective.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Vegas would be awesome. The event could be out in Henderson. Still close enough to everything, but even more cost effective.

Wasn't there talk about the original Coinfest being held in Vegas? Or did I imagine that? We'd love to go back to Vegas. Airfare is usually reasonable, weather would be nice in the fall, and there are always great deals on hotels in the area. Plus, that's where we got married last month!

Halifax ;)

I'm shocked you didn't nominate Victoria???

Victoria is the ultimate, or even Vancouver. What a good way to preview our area to the caching world just prior to the 2010 Winter Games.

Yes Team TeeKay, our hometown is probably the best destination in the second largest country in the world! but we can't organize and run it because we're not just cachers we're vendors. Last time I read the rules vendors couldn't take a lead in organizing and hosting the annual GCF. It would therefore take a local group to organize and run it with us on the sidelines minding our own business. So unless some local folk come forward I may as well nominate our favourite holiday destinations!

Scotland

Canada's East Coast

Southern Utah

Idaho

Hawaii

BVI

Vegas

Scotland

Canada's East Coast

Southern Utah

Idaho

Hawaii

BVI

Vegas

I'd love to see a major coin event out this way, but I don't know if we have enough coin addicts yet. Some of us are working on it though. ;) My geocoin events have been fairly well attended in general; Geo¢a$h IV is slated for next month, provided the mint can get the event coin done in time.

If it was held outside of the USA there could be an issue with Vendors attending since the majority of vendors are located in the States.

I can only imagine trying to get through customs with some serious poundage with coins. You would probably have to declare all of your packages with customs and pay a big customs fee.

I am only guessing so don't take that as a fact.

Calgary, Alberta.

Rocky Mountains to the west (Banff, Kananaskis, Waterton to the south)

Dinosaurs to the east

Prairie all around

Cheap hotels

Expensive hotels

Cheap food

Expensive food

Camping

Parks

Caches

Good public transportation

Safe, clean, friendly

Plenty of shopping, sites, attractions

Extensive park and pathway system

International Airport w/good connections to Dallas, Toronto, Minneapolis, and several other hubs

Calgary, Alberta.

Rocky Mountains to the west (Banff, Kananaskis, Waterton to the south)

Dinosaurs to the east

Prairie all around

Cheap hotels

Expensive hotels

Cheap food

Expensive food

Camping

Parks

Caches

Good public transportation

Safe, clean, friendly

Plenty of shopping, sites, attractions

Extensive park and pathway system

International Airport w/good connections to Dallas, Toronto, Minneapolis, and several other hubs

LEMON FRESH DOG

You forgot one ;)

TMA

If it was held outside of the USA there could be an issue with Vendors attending since the majority of vendors are located in the States.

I can only imagine trying to get through customs with some serious poundage with coins. You would probably have to declare all of your packages with customs and pay a big customs fee.

I am only guessing so don't take that as a fact.

We did just that to go to GeoWoodstock and there are ways to make it work. We acquired a Federal business number and a US brokerage account. We paid NO fees at the border and our product crossed into and out of the US seamlessly. The only issue at the border was the water reservoir in my backpack that had about 3 ounces of water in it, they scanned the bag 3 times and still neglected to find the exacto knife I'd left in the bottom accidentally ;).

If this event was held in Canada (and I know that's a big IF) the best method is have your product shipped direct from Hong Kong to Canada so that you don't have to bring it in yourself.

VEGAS!!

Vegas was the first spot picked way back when. Maybe now with most of the team in place there can be good coordination (as AG stated) in Henderson. October in Vegas is HEAVEN.

i gotta agree with this. there is SO much around vegas to see and do. a great place for this type of event. and, well, i would even help out. i am about 2.5 hours down the road.

rsg