Logging Other Cachers

Renegade Knight

Would it be worthwhile to be able to log that you met other cachers on the trail?

:huh: "I met Joe Cacher today. While looking for Evil Camo Cache". Maybe even have the ability without the log. The logs seem like they would be ackward.

:huh: "Ran and Hid from Keystone I saw him but he didn't see me."

:lol: Got to hug the Black Widow. Not sure if the butterflies are because she's such a cutie or because I lived. Hoooah!

I've met exactly enough cachers to have lost track.

Not sure how much I actually like the idea but thought it worth discussing.

I'd love it.

I'd love a bookmark list of cachers.

I'd love a bookmark list of travel bugs/geocoins.

For that last one I can sort of live with watchlist but not if I were wanting to watch a lot of them.

The second one can sort of be done with the otherwise useless My Friends feature. Especially if you invite, or get invited to be a friend, but do not accept or decline. You then have a handy link right to their name, without the gobbledygook of that box with stats that are wrong anyway.

I do the tracking of cachers met the hard way in my profile external web page.

Edited by trainlove

An interesting concept. How would you manage that? What if I don't like your log about me? Not that I really care (much) what people think of me; but the logs, if there is some kind of heated debate going, on could have the potential of getting nasty.

But I do like the concept.

I do the tracking of cachers met the hard way in my profile external web page.

We have an "unexpected run-ins with other cachers" bookmark list. It's not very convenient, though. Since it's a bookmark list, each entry is tied to a cache, so it's not always easy to find a particular person on it without browsing through the whole list.

I've given up trying to remember all the geocachers that I've met. On the trail is tough enough. At events is next to impossible! I'll guess that I've met fifty cachers on the hunt. It always startles me, when I'm in a bizarre, out of the way location, like Brooklyn, and someone walks by and says "It's Harry Dolphin!" Okay, I'm not good with faces, and I guess I did meet him at an event in Manhattan...

A friend in MN did this once upon a time - it was pretty fun to look at the 'degrees of separation' charts - all those username bubbles with lines going everywhere.

I believe they only did it with 'random' meetings/who they ran into while out caching, and events didn't count.

I can't even imagine trying to keep track of everyone I've met... but I do know what my degree of separation is from... oh, lessee... TotemLake (might as well pick on him since he posted) and Jeremy (chosen because, well, why not?).

Neat idea... but after playing for awhile, it'd be tough to 'remember' everyone for a lot of people around here.

michelle

i've been known to fly under radar, using a sockpuppet name if necessary. i have found it necessary at times to dive off a trail in order not to be spotted by another cacher.

does this make me more collectible?

some of the entries in our bookmark list describe us spotting another cacher and cowering in the bushes until they were gone.

i've been known to fly under radar, using a sockpuppet name if necessary. i have found it necessary at times to dive off a trail in order not to be spotted by another cacher.

does this make me more collectible?

some of the entries in our bookmark list describe us spotting another cacher and cowering in the bushes until they were gone.

some of the entries on your caches are one of my sockpuppets.

you can't prove i was there.

A friend in MN did this once upon a time - it was pretty fun to look at the 'degrees of separation' charts - all those username bubbles with lines going everywhere.

I believe they only did it with 'random' meetings/who they ran into while out caching, and events didn't count.

I can't even imagine trying to keep track of everyone I've met... but I do know what my degree of separation is from... oh, lessee... TotemLake (might as well pick on him since he posted) and Jeremy (chosen because, well, why not?).

Neat idea... but after playing for awhile, it'd be tough to 'remember' everyone for a lot of people around here.

michelle

That's what the group photos are for. ;) But the ones I really remember are the ones I get to hug. :D

Edited by TotemLake

michelle

That's what the group photos are for. :D But the ones I really remember are the ones I get to hug. :D

Maybe I should rethink coming out for a future HOTM! ;) Or then again maybe not if I don't have to hug you. :D

michelle

That's what the group photos are for. :ph34r: But the ones I really remember are the ones I get to hug. :D

Maybe I should rethink coming out for a future HOTM! :laughing: Or then again maybe not if I don't have to hug you. :lol:

:anitongue:

If a handshake is all you want, a handshake is all you get. Just never complain about not getting a hug. I can point you to someone who did. :lol:

An interesting concept. How would you manage that? What if I don't like your log about me? Not that I really care (much) what people think of me; but the logs, if there is some kind of heated debate going, on could have the potential of getting nasty.

The more I think about it the more it would need to be more like a bookmark list. Logs would complicate it.

Now if it were a bookmark list should it be a mutual agreed meeting sort of like a friends request, or a one sided bookmark so that Joe Cacher who tracks eveone he's met can do his thing and Cacher X can ignore the whole thing?

The more I think about it the more it would need to be more like a bookmark list. Logs would complicate it.

Now if it were a bookmark list should it be a mutual agreed meeting sort of like a friends request, or a one sided bookmark so that Joe Cacher who tracks eveone he's met can do his thing and Cacher X can ignore the whole thing?

If it's a bookmark list, it's going to need a very high count capability and not count against the traditional bookmarks. I tend to hike in groups and have been meeting lots of people I otherwise might not have in any other fashion except through cache machines which I typically don't do. Which brings to mind events and cache machines are going to create very large numbers of meets.

I like the degrees of separation idea also, and this can probably be handled by an auto-generated family tree style diagram with a capability of clicking on the person to have an option menu come up to add them as a direct meet. Have another right click option to drill down into their tree and so on.

Approval process from the person being added to the meet? I like the idea of the user opting to be aware so they are on default ignore.

That's what the group photos are for. :ph34r: But the ones I really remember are the ones I get to hug. :D

Maybe I should rethink coming out for a future HOTM! :laughing: Or then again maybe not if I don't have to hug you. :lol:

If a handshake is all you want, a handshake is all you get. Just never complain about not getting a hug. I can point you to someone who did. :lol:

August 15, 2004... after many delays and failed attempts at 1st ever HOTM :D, (see August 7, 2004 log for A Salute to Colonel Bob) met TotemLake at Mt. Townsend trailhead and finally got my hug.

:D

Some are easier to remember than others.

michelle

August 15, 2004... after many delays and failed attempts at 1st ever HOTM :D, (see August 7, 2004 log for A Salute to Colonel Bob) met TotemLake at Mt. Townsend trailhead and finally got my hug.

michelle

First ones are always the best. :D

August 15, 2004... after many delays and failed attempts at 1st ever HOTM :lol:, (see August 7, 2004 log for A Salute to Colonel Bob) met TotemLake at Mt. Townsend trailhead and finally got my hug.

:lol:

michelle

First ones are always the best. :ph34r:

Well, the most memorable, maybe. Best?! :anitongue:

I'm having a hard time keeping this topic clean... pressing... flesh... that whole 'logging other cachers' thing...

Maybe it's time for me to bow out.

:laughing:

michelle

How would you handle the false claim of having run into someone? I envision virtual sightings will pop up too.

see my above post.......

Ah, that didn't register. Thanks.

Of course, that can open the door for allowing some people to claim a sighting but not permit others. I can see the fora replete with topics of Joe Cacher allowed Cacher A to sight him but will not accept my request. It should be fun. :anitongue:

August 15, 2004... after many delays and failed attempts at 1st ever HOTM :lol:, (see August 7, 2004 log for A Salute to Colonel Bob) met TotemLake at Mt. Townsend trailhead and finally got my hug.

:laughing:

michelle

First ones are always the best. :lol:

Well, the most memorable, maybe. Best?! :ph34r:

I'm having a hard time keeping this topic clean... pressing... flesh... that whole 'logging other cachers' thing...

Maybe it's time for me to bow out.

michelle

Wouldn't it stand to reason the most memorable could be the Best?

Beyond that, I was not going... :D:anitongue:

Back on topic, I'm all for the OP's idea.

michelle

That's what the group photos are for. :laughing: But the ones I really remember are the ones I get to hug. :lol:

Maybe I should rethink coming out for a future HOTM! :anitongue: Or then again maybe not if I don't have to hug you. :ph34r:

If a handshake is all you want, a handshake is all you get. Just never complain about not getting a hug. I can point you to someone who did. :D

Put me down for 1 hug, please.

As part of a meeting or parting of ways, I'll hug anyone who looks receptive! :lol:

We all need hugs, and I'll take all I can get!

So now I am wondering if the 'cachers met' list thingy shouldn't have a checklist of possible greetings delivered/enjoyed?

_ Casual nod

_ A smile and a wave

_ Hearty traditional handshake

_ Roman fore-arm clasp handshake

_ Mutual back-slapping

_ Regular hug

_ Bear hug

_ Extended hug that makes onlookers uncomfortable

_ 'Lift-and-spin' hug that makes onlookers turn away

_ Not telling, nobody saw it, you can't prove anything

As part of a meeting or parting of ways, I'll hug anyone who looks receptive! :laughing:

So now I am wondering if the 'cachers met' list thingy shouldn't have a checklist of possible greetings delivered/enjoyed?

_ Casual nod

_ A smile and a wave

_ Mutual back-slapping

_ Regular hug

_ Bear hug

_ Not telling, nobody saw it, you can't prove anything, willing to pay good money for the negatives

You got a hug coming.

Also, fixed that last item on your list.

We have a list in our profile of cachers we've met while out and about. We decided not to bother adding cachers near to or at events as there would be too many. However, this means that there are quite a few cachers we know well (from events etc) but are not on the list because we have not actually bumped into them while out caching! :laughing:

This post adds nothing to the discussion :laughing:

M

Well if I knew hugging fellow cachers could potentially be so fun I might not have expressed my earlier opinion. Still - TL - not so much. CG - seems a lot more likely. Yeah that will probably get me in some sort of trouble.

:D:D:D

Y'r right, if TL were any other man, he might be offended!

michelle

As part of a meeting or parting of ways, I'll hug anyone who looks receptive! :D

_ Casual nod

_ A smile and a wave

_ Mutual back-slapping

_ Regular hug

_ Bear hug

_ Not telling, nobody saw it, you can't prove anything, willing to pay good money for the negatives

You got a hug coming.

Also, fixed that last item on your list.

OoOoOo! I feel all warm and fuzzy already! :D

I inadvertently left out at least one other possibility:

_Formal Oriental bow

Do the ladies ever curtsey these days?

Any other possibilities?