Which map datum to use

Clabbermilque

Until my first day geocaching (yesterday) I used my garmin mainly for doing ground surveys at an archaeological dig in the mojave desert (Calico early man site). The US Geological Survey maps we used at the site all dated from (I believe) the 1927 survey done by the US government. At the bottom corner of the maps would be a note that they were NAD 27. We set our GPSs to that map datum so we could easily plot any finds on the map. I have always kept my Garmin set to NAD 27.

Yesterday I tried to find my first geocache. My garmin led me into a field. I lamented my inability to find the cache in the log. The owner wrote me back that it was not in the field but a nearby parking lot. I was wondering if the NAD 27 map datum threw me off. Is there a agreed upon datum that geocachers use?

Until my first day geocaching (yesterday) I used my garmin mainly for doing ground surveys at an archaeological dig in the mojave desert (Calico early man site). The US Geological Survey maps we used at the site all dated from (I believe) the 1927 survey done by the US government. At the bottom corner of the maps would be a note that they were NAD 27. We set our GPSs to that map datum so we could easily plot any finds on the map. I have always kept my Garmin set to NAD 27.

Yesterday I tried to find my first geocache. My garmin led me into a field. I lamented my inability to find the cache in the log. The owner wrote me back that it was not in the field but a nearby parking lot. I was wondering if the NAD 27 map datum threw me off. Is there a agreed upon datum that geocachers use?

WGS84