Colorado firmware 2.60 (July 17)

Ranger Fox

Garmin posted a firmware update for the Colorado today (it wasn't on there last night).

Looking through the list, here's the pertinent information:

• Wherigo player update (of course)
  • Corrected issue where the unit will hang when you try to restore a Wherigo cartridge
  • Improved compass / GPS heading autoswitch behavior (perhaps this improvement will be available in the player's interface as well)
  • Improved readability of geocache_visit.txt (it used a UTF line return character instead of an ASCII one, making it odd to look at in some text editors--it was very different when viewed in notepad and wordpad)
  • Added error message when the max number of geocache or gpx files is exceeded (that's nice; when I loaded more than the max, I found random caches were missing)
  • Corrected issue when you spell a geocache and the list doesn't reduce when the keyboard auto-pops (that irked me; search for a cache by name and if the list was the size of the screen or smaller, the search would reset)

I'll play around with the firmware at a later time.

If you would like to know if a problem has been fixed with the player update, please post it here and someone (I'm not the only person!) will answer.

I've only had mine about two weeks, but there's been two updates since then.

Before that last update, it took Garmin close to two months to release something. Frankly, I'm surprised I saw an update so soon.

It certainly wan't a long time between 2.54 and 2.60. I'm pretty suprised myself! However, 2.60 is the first update in some time that has not been beta.

I tried 2 different cartridges last weekend after updating to 2.6. I couldn't complete either of them. One crashed and shut down the GPS at the same point every time. I hadn't played either of these before. I'm wondering if the player improvements could have caused problems for some Wherigo cartridges.

I tried 2 different cartridges last weekend after updating to 2.6. I couldn't complete either of them. One crashed and shut down the GPS at the same point every time. I hadn't played either of these before. I'm wondering if the player improvements could have caused problems for some Wherigo cartridges.

No offense, but I can't do anything with the information you posted. Which cartridges were these? Where did they crash? It would be very helpful to know.

No offense, but I can't do anything with the information you posted. Which cartridges were these? Where did they crash? It would be very helpful to know.

Okay, sorry. The first was Romeo and Juliet. Every time we arrived at the location for Act 1, the GPS would just shut down. We tried several times, went over to find a different cache (successfully), then came back to try again with the same result: shut down as we arrived at the Act 1 location.

The second was Kirbys Tour of Wilder Ranch. I'm not sure if our problem here was the player or the cartridge itself. You are supposed to answer a question at each spot to move on to the next location. We couldn't get past the first spot as we could find no field to input an answer. From the cache logs, it looks like most, if not all, finders used the emulator. I'm not sure anyone has sucessfully done this one with a Colorado. (I'd post the GC#, but I can't get it right now as GC seems to be down again.)

Edited by FamilyDNA

FWIW Family DNA, I did recheck R&J Catridge after seeing your DNF. I've also checked a couple other of my Cartridges as well with 2.6 installed, and I can't seem to duplicate the problem you're having.

You might want to check to make sure your CO has the most recent version installed. I didn't try any Cartridges on the previous Beta version that was out there for a short while, but I heard that there were a few issues.

Version 2.6 should work though :unsure:

FWIW Family DNA, I did recheck R&J Catridge after seeing your DNF. I've also checked a couple other of my Cartridges as well with 2.6 installed, and I can't seem to duplicate the problem you're having.

You might want to check to make sure your CO has the most recent version installed. I didn't try any Cartridges on the previous Beta version that was out there for a short while, but I heard that there were a few issues.

Version 2.6 should work though :unsure:

I had updated to 2.6 shortly before the trip (unless for some reason it didn't take- wouldn't I have gotten an error?) Maybe we'll make it back there sometime to try it again. Thanks for checking. I've been meaning to try out the tutorial or a play anywhere just to check out the player on the unit.

Version 2.6 Issue with Input Fields Utilizing Multiple Choice Questions

First off, my apologies to FamilyDNA for not catching this on my earlier test. I did a side by side test using my CO and iQue (as back up) on the following WIG's which all use Input Fields that require answering Multiple Choice Questions:

Kirby tours Wilder Ranch

Western Canon

With the Wilder Ranch WIG, you have to get within a Zone and click on the Task to bring up the Multiple Choice Question Input Field. On the CO, the question would appear, but the buttons associated with the Multiple Choice Questions were absent, therefore making the Cartridge unplayable (e.g. you could not advance beyone the First Zone).

On the Canon, I have it set to fire the Input Field on Proximity. At the First Zone, as soon as you reach Proximity, the Colorado, for some inexplicable reason, powers down in some sort of *fatal error*. I tried this twice more with the same results.

On the second Cartridge associated with the Canon, the Cartridge begins with an Input Field that requies entering a number from a nearby feature. That appeared to work fine, but on hitting Proximity on the First Zone, the same thing happened when the Multiple Choice Question Input Field was called up in the Cartridge.

BTW, I tested the above Cartridges on my iQue as well, and they worked flawlessly.

I've reported the *bug* to Garmin, but didn't know if the Devs at Groundspeak would need this information as well.

Version 2.6 Issue with Input Fields Utilizing Multiple Choice Questions

First off, my apologies to FamilyDNA for not catching this on my earlier test...

No problem. I'm am glad it's not just me, though. With Wherigo being so new, it's hard to tell what errors are being caused by hardware, the cartidge itself, user error, or ???

I'm looking forward to heading back to your area (though not likely before next summer) to try again. :D

FWIW, I and two other experienced geocachers tried those two Wherigo caches yesterday, using a Colorado. I'd been warned by Touchstone about the problem with the Colorado on Western Canon beforehand but we gave it a shot anyway.

Our results duplicated his exactly and were quite repeatable. We were unable to get past the first question on either.

We ended up finding the final for Kirby tours Wilder Ranch only because I'd run it though the emulator the night before, and was familiar with the location.

We all found it a very disappointing introduction to playing Wherigo. :blink: