Garmin Introduces Multi Use nüvi 500 Series for 'Rugged Navigation'

CDS231

GPSMagazine has posted a detailed review of the 500. The geocaching/Wherigo support looks very similar to the Oregon although there are some things missing like the map preview.

I'll be watching, probably a good unit for the casual outdoor user but I'm one who tends to carry the GPS in my hand a lot and I can't imagine that this form factor is going to be easy to hold onto (especially w/o a lanyard).

GO$Rs

Well, now both my replies finally posted! Deleting this one, see farther down.

Edited by busternfruss

I actually LIKE this form factor. It more resembles a real map. Long rectangular forms are good to hold but lousy at letting you see things around you. That's why all physical maps are shaped like Nuvi's...

I disagree... our shop produces lots of maps of all shapes and sizes, including lots of "portrait" oriented maps. All depends on what you want to see. I actually think the portrait screen orientation of hand held recreational units is superior much of the time because it is common to use track-up map orientation, and you can see further ahead of you with this screen shape. Just my opinion :anitongue:

Actually, you're seeing MORE with a Nuvi track-up, except now you have the addition of the extra sides that you can now see with the wider screen. The Nuvi screen is bigger all around. :laughing:

I agree that a square screen is best for hiking. Trails are never straight and the limited screen to the sides sometimes limits your ability to see far ahead without scrolling.

Now, should I return my OR? The battery bothers me but it has promise after that. It will not cause me to give away my TT though.

GPSMagazine has posted a detailed review of the 500. The geocaching/Wherigo support looks very similar to the Oregon although there are some things missing like the map preview.

I'll be watching, probably a good unit for the casual outdoor user but I'm one who tends to carry the GPS in my hand a lot and I can't imagine that this form factor is going to be easy to hold onto (especially w/o a lanyard).

GO$Rs

Had replied but seems it got lost in cyberspace.

Shorter version:

I've used both a Nuvi 350 and an eTrex Venture HC for geocaching, and I have to agree with g-o-cacher. The Nuvi is absolutely fantastic for driving and worked well for caching, but the eTrex is MUCH more convenient and easier to carry and use outdoors. I'm just a casual cacher, but its form etc. makes a big difference even to me, and I'd think it would be even more important for a serious hiker or wilderness cacher.

What makes a unit great for driving navigation and what makes one great for hiking/caching are so different, it would be difficult for one unit to be best for both. Too much trade-off either way at present.

As much as I love the Nuvi for driving, I don't see the new model being the ideal unit for most cachers or hikers. For around $300 you can buy both a Nuvi and an eTrex, and avoid the Jack of all trades factor. For the only occasional cacher/camper, though, it might be a great idea if the price were low enough.

Just my experience using both types of units.

Edited by busternfruss

My son and I have been caching for approx 3 months - we are using a combination of vista HCx & i5. Since we are looking for a single unit that will do paperless caching, turn by turn directions and off road line of site navigation this one might work for us. Can't wait see a few more reviews.

It cracks me up that Garmin has released 3 different paperless caching options in less than 8 months. Having more choices is good I guess.

Actually, you're seeing MORE with a Nuvi track-up, except now you have the addition of the extra sides that you can now see with the wider screen. The Nuvi screen is bigger all around. :anitongue:

Yeah, you're right, you do see more on the screen in general because the screen has a lager area. But Colorado/Oregon screen is half an inch taller, so with track-up turned on, you see more of what is in front of you, enhanced by how it moves your current position lower on the screen. The trail may wiggle or change directions, but I think I'd rather always see more of what is in front of me, in the direction of travel. That's just my preference, and I'm glad we've got so many choices.

Shorter version:

I've used both a Nuvi 350 and an eTrex Venture HC for geocaching, and I have to agree with g-o-cacher. The Nuvi is absolutely fantastic for driving and worked well for caching, but the eTrex is MUCH more convenient and easier to carry and use outdoors. I'm just a casual cacher, but its form etc. makes a big difference even to me, and I'd think it would be even more important for a serious hiker or wilderness cacher.

What makes a unit great for driving navigation and what makes one great for hiking/caching are so different, it would be difficult for one unit to be best for both. Too much trade-off either way at present.

As much as I love the Nuvi for driving, I don't see the new model being the ideal unit for most cachers or hikers. For around $300 you can buy both a Nuvi and an eTrex, and avoid the Jack of all trades factor. For the only occasional cacher/camper, though, it might be a great idea if the price were low enough.

I think your negative experience is due to the fact that Garmin hasn’t implemented the auto Nuvi for hiking. So your opinion might change once they get the device design correctly. After all the Nuvi's were originally designed for car use. I’m almost 100% certain that the Nuvi’s general form factor is correct. They need to make a few changes to make it much better for hiking folks. First, they need to add more rubber to the casing for grip. They also need to reduce the case size a bit more so that it’s thinner and with a rounder smaller bezel. Add a small lanyard loop in the back and include a hand strap for people to put over their wrist. These small design changes as well as others can improve the handling of the device tremendously over the current auto Nuvi’s. Since this is their first crack at this I would give them a chance…

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424

Drive, hike, bike or boat. With the rugged, waterproof, multi-mode nüvi 500, you can do it all. Packed with detailed street and topographic maps, nüvi 500 is ready for adventure both on and off the beaten path. Like the 550, nüvi 500 switches modes to navigate your active lifestyle and provides spoken turn-by-turn directions to your destination.

What Topo maps?

Topo US 2008?

Topo Basemap with DEM?

I think you're right on... as attractive as a complete Jack-of-all trades, master of ALL solution is, I don't think it's possible. And not just for GPSr's... reminds me a lot of boat shopping. You need your big river boat, your small river boat, your saltwater boat, your lakes boat, etc. etc. :anitongue:

Actually, you're seeing MORE with a Nuvi track-up, except now you have the addition of the extra sides that you can now see with the wider screen. The Nuvi screen is bigger all around. :anitongue:

Yeah, you're right, you do see more on the screen in general because the screen has a lager area. But Colorado/Oregon screen is half an inch taller, so with track-up turned on, you see more of what is in front of you, enhanced by how it moves your current position lower on the screen. The trail may wiggle or change directions, but I think I'd rather always see more of what is in front of me, in the direction of travel. That's just my preference, and I'm glad we've got so many choices.

Well, that's easy for Garmin to change. It's only a software change for the Nuvi to display in either port or land. They can just put in a button that allows users to change it what they want...So agaiin, The Nuvi has the Or and Co beat... :laughing:

They can even choose to stick in an accelerometer like the iPhone/Touch so that it will automatically change the view depending on how you hold the unit....

Edited by jcc123

Well, that's easy for Garmin to change. It's only a software change for the Nuvi to display in either port or land. They can just put in a button that allows users to change it what they want...So agaiin, The Nuvi has the Or and Co beat... :anitongue:

They can even choose to stick in an accelerometer like the iPhone/Touch so that it will automatically change the view depending on how you hold the unit....

OK, you don't understand what I'm talking about. Have fun with your Nuvi, just don't run out of batteries.

Well, that's easy for Garmin to change. It's only a software change for the Nuvi to display in either port or land. They can just put in a button that allows users to change it what they want...So agaiin, The Nuvi has the Or and Co beat... :laughing:

OK, you don't understand what I'm talking about. Have fun with your Nuvi, just don't run out of batteries.

I think perhaps it is you who don't understand what I'm saying. If you were to turn the Nuvi on it's side so that the LONG end is facing you, that would be MUCH longer than either or your Co or Or, thus more land for you to see no? All Garmin software engineers have to do is to write software so that you can turn it and have track-up with the Nuvi turned sideways. Get it? :anitongue:

Edited by jcc123

Sure, that makes sense, I misread what you said. Would be a neat feature for sure. Since Garmin won't even implement simple features to existing products like being able to change the coordinates of a geocache on the CO, I doubt we'll ever see it though.

Nuvi 500 is nothing more than just the equivalent of streetpilot series crossover model, the garmin quest.

The garmin quest inherited a lot of streetpoilot feature, I guess the customizability and choose of routing options is still strong than NUVI 500. But antenna sensitivity, speak street name etc bling bling features lag behind

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=213

Actually the above compare is not right, for example, Garmin quest has voice prompt (and the sound is very decent), but the table mark it as N/A.

Edited by dualcore

Shorter version:

I think your negative experience is due to the fact that Garmin hasn’t implemented the auto Nuvi for hiking. So your opinion might change once they get the device design correctly. After all the Nuvi's were originally designed for car use. I’m almost 100% certain that the Nuvi’s general form factor is correct. They need to make a few changes to make it much better for hiking folks. First, they need to add more rubber to the casing for grip. They also need to reduce the case size a bit more so that it’s thinner and with a rounder smaller bezel. Add a small lanyard loop in the back and include a hand strap for people to put over their wrist. These small design changes as well as others can improve the handling of the device tremendously over the current auto Nuvi’s. Since this is their first crack at this I would give them a chance…

Oh, my---Maybe I need to clarify! I don't consider that I had any kind of "negative experience" with my Nuvi 350! I love this unit, his name is Jonesy ala "Hunt for Red October," and he worked fine for caching and is a life-saver when driving. Had I not been afraid of getting it wet or getting dirt inside its ports, I'd still be using it for caching. I could be a Nuvi salesperson, I'm so pleased with it.

That said, I was afraid of damaging it, so I got the little eTrex Venture HC. After using it for a few weeks now, imho it IS much easier to use for caching. I'm a woman with little hands, but the form is just better than the Nuvi's for the field, to me at least. To others, it might not make much difference, but I can only report on my own experience using the two kinds of units.

The modifications you mention would make the Nuvi easier to carry, and would help a lot for caching or hiking. But if they change it too much, the driving factor could suffer. A big screen is needed for driving, for example, even if it makes the unit bigger. The speakers are so nice for driving, etc., etc. but may add to the weight or whatever, I'm not a techie. And then there are the battery issues. Jonesy runs out of power WAY faster than Blondie, in just a few hours. I'm still on the same Energizers that I put in when I got her. And I've used her a lot in those few weeks. One thing that Jonesy has me spoiled to and that I miss when caching is the touchscreen. I'm still getting used to the eTrex's toggles.

I didn't mean to knock the Nuvi product, but my combo works well for me. At about $300 for both, I wanted to mention that option. As for giving Garmin "a chance," both of my units ARE Garmins, and I wouldn't want any other brand.

I could also be a Garmin spokesperson. IMHO, they are super and have fantastic customer service. I did drop Jonesy on his head and he had to go to the Garmin hospital. They sent me another unit quickly, no questions asked, even though I had about 15 minutes left on the warranty and had dropped him. It even has the 2009 maps. (Although I was surprised he wasn't able to survive a 2-foot drop to my kitchen floor. Things happen, must've just hit the worst way.)

And, as I said, the new Nuvi might be great for the occasional cacher. But I still stand by my thoughts that what makes a great driving unit is often different from what would make a great hiking/caching unit. Didn't mean to sound like I was disappointed with my Jonesy!! He's great. I hope the new Nuvi turns out well, and it will probably suit some people to a T.

Edited by busternfruss