Garmin Introduces Multi Use nüvi 500 Series for 'Rugged Navigation'

CDS231

and from the Garmin site. I'm done

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13424

Looks interesting……so long as it ends up being more reliable then the CO.

Extended back country use could get a bit pricy if you need to buy 5 Li-Ion batteries for a week long canoe trip. The ability to use AA’s would have been nice.

It might not be the best for your five day canoe trip. That being said, it would be perfect for the "light recreation" user--the day-hiker, boater, or car camper type. I bought my 60CS (before the x series) to use as a hiking camping tool. It spends most days hanging on the windshield mount of my truck. This little guy would be perfect for me (I said the same about the Oregon!).

Battery life is going to be an issue for any sort of serious back country use. Whether kayaking or backpacking, this would be an issue for me. I would like to see a AA option as well. I figured this was coming when the 255 came out with topos and replaceable battery.

Is there such thing as a AA pack that can power a USB device?

It is a hobbled vehicle unit though. No street names which I find to be a nice feature so I do not need to look at the unit.

Edited by Maximus XX!V

The other thing that's missing from this is text to speech. Why did they omit this?!

Also, They need li-ion battery because 2 AA's will not power this thing for very long. At most, a hour or so. Do you guys see the size of that screen? That sucks up so much power. So if you want a AA solution it will take at least 4-6 AA's to get the same battery life as that one Li-ion battery. I doubt very much that anyone here would be willing to make that weight trade-off.

Edited by jcc123
Is there such thing as a AA pack that can power a USB device?
You bet. I just built one for my Nuvi 205W.

Get a $2 4-AA holder from RS, cut off the end of a USB cable, solder the leads together, Viola . . . Nuvi charger.

Or go to Gometic.com (sp?) and purchase their 4-AA solution, ~$30, theirs has a resistor to one of the data leads so it looks like its plugged into your car, so you can navigate while it charges.

Now the bad news, a set of Powerex 2700's will recharge the battery once. Bring lots of AAs.

They need li-ion battery because 2 AA's will not power this thing for very long. At most, a hour or so. Do you guys see the size of that screen? That sucks up so much power. So if you want a AA solution it will take at least 4-6 AA's to get the same battery life as that one Li-ion battery. I doubt very much that anyone here would be willing to make that weight trade-off.

That screen isn't any bigger than that of the CO or OR so I don't see the problem.

Now these should work well with pilotsnipes macro for True Paperless Geocaching on the Garmin Nuvi.

I would like a Nuvi 580W with Voice prompts of street names, but also the ability to view pilotsnipes macro on a wide screen. I do like the idea of a compass finally on a nuvi GPS. Also Tracklogging is needed on these 500 series Nuvis.

You don't "need" the macro. They come with the full Geocaching application.

Predictions:
  • nuvi 560 - Text-to-speech, City Navigator + U.S. topos
  • nuvi 570 - North American and European maps
  • nuvi 5x0W series - 4.3" screen

Nuvi 500 $500

Nuvi 560 $700

Nuvi 570 $700

Nuvi 5x0W series $700+

The Nuvi 5x0's will come out the week after you purchase a Nuvi 500

Sounds like this is a waterproofed version, with a lack of a speaker, like the regular speakers open to the air, like my Nuvi 260W, with all the holes on back for the speaker. I would like to see spoken street names, with a cigarette lighter adaptor plugged into the 500 series nuvis, with the spoken words on the car's radio.

The other thing that's missing from this is text to speech. Why did they omit this?!

Predictions:

LOL, you're right! I better just wait a couple of weeks...

Sounds like this is a waterproofed version, with a lack of a speaker, like the regular speakers open to the air, like my Nuvi 260W, with all the holes on back for the speaker. I would like to see spoken street names, with a cigarette lighter adaptor plugged into the 500 series nuvis, with the spoken words on the car's radio.

I think it does have a speaker. You know there are waterproof speakers, yes?

They need li-ion battery because 2 AA's will not power this thing for very long. At most, a hour or so. Do you guys see the size of that screen? That sucks up so much power. So if you want a AA solution it will take at least 4-6 AA's to get the same battery life as that one Li-ion battery. I doubt very much that anyone here would be willing to make that weight trade-off.

That screen isn't any bigger than that of the CO or OR so I don't see the problem.

You're kidding right? Take another look at the Nuvi please....

Highlights from this link:

*No text-to-speech

*Interface will be similar to the nuvi 2x5's

*Support multi-destination routing however, unlike the 2x5's.

*Maps include lower 48 states, plus Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

*Similar to 500, but offers highway coverage of the entire U.S. and Canada

*No topo maps.

Edited by ryguyMN
Predictions:

Nuvi 500 $500

Nuvi 560 $700

Nuvi 570 $700

Nuvi 5x0W series $700+

I doubt this. They will not want to dig too deeply into thier auto Nuvis or their hand helds so I see these having limited functionality so hard core users will still go the separate routes for GPSr use. At least that is what I would do if I had Garmin's history.

I guess an alternative to AAs is to buy a boatload of replacement batteries for this.

I still like the idea of a 5000 and my new OR better than this solution.

I think it does have a speaker. You know there are waterproof speakers, yes?

It does have a speaker and is does speek directions, just no TTS.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...reProduct=27442

Edited by Maximus XX!V

I doubt this. They will not want to dig too deeply into thier auto Nuvis or their hand helds so I see these having limited functionality so hard core users will still go the separate routes for GPSr use. At least that is what I would do if I had Garmin's history.

Plausible, but they also have a history of releasing many models for each product line. Wait till you see round 2 of the Colorado and Oregon series!

I still like the idea of a 5000 and my new OR better than this solution.

Remember, the 5000 has no internal battery. It don't work unless it's plugged in. No trip planning in your living room unless it's on AC.

No word yet on whether it will support paperless geocaching like the Oregon and Colorado series.

It seems to me that it will.

It says at the Garmin page that you can download geocaches and instructions. I assume that by instructions, they mean the cache page. Just a guess but that is how I am reading it.

No word yet on whether it will support paperless geocaching like the Oregon and Colorado series.

It seems to me that it will.

It says at the Garmin page that you can download geocaches and instructions. I assume that by instructions, they mean the cache page. Just a guess but that is how I am reading it.

Good catch. I missed that. I sure hope it does. I sent an mail to Garmin asking about it, but their PR guys are probably busy today, so who knows if I'll hear back.

Have you people never heard of the term convergence? This is the best of both worlds. Why would you want to buy two GPSs when you don't have to? You can now just buy one and use it for everything.

This a smart step for Garmin as they needed to show some leadership. Now if we can only get them to start eliminating so many models and focus on making a few but the best! Quality, not quantity.

Have you people never heard of the term convergence? This is the best of both worlds. Why would you want to buy two GPSs when you don't have to? You can now just buy one and use it for everything.

This a smart step for Garmin as they needed to show some leadership. Now if we can only get them to start eliminating so many models and focus on making a few but the best! Quality, not quantity.

I have also heard the term 'Jack of all trades, master of none'. I remain skeptical, until proven wrong.

The Nuvi line has been seriously hamstrung from a functionality standpoint and the CO and OR units are a step down (outside of the geocaching functionality) from the Etrex and GPSMAP units. I suspect these will also suffer decreased functionality.

I know the 5000 has no internal battery and, according to Garmin, will not be getting one anytime soon. I like the fact that it has a larger screen and it can store routes. I do all my routing in Mapsource so living room use is not too important. I would like it to have a battery though. Even if it only lasts an hour.

My TT720 gets about 2 hours on the battery.

Edited by Maximus XX!V

Well, they should probably focus their resources on a few models rather than try to make every shape and size. I think they're taking the right steps. In the future, they can converge their trekking and auto lines into this one model. Think of how quickly they'll be able to fix bugs and improve functionality if they oonly had to work on this instead of 20 other models spread among the trekking and auto lines.

That screen isn't any bigger than that of the CO or OR so I don't see the problem [that would require more power].

I just measured my Oregon at 3" diagonally. The nuvi 500 is 3.5", albeit with a slightly different aspect ratio.

That is what I'm saying.....a 1/3rd increase in screen size would not triple the power consumption (require 6 AA’s). For the average urbanite type GC that wants a car navigator and a usable GC GPSr this will work great (likely the design goal). Multi day trips off of the grid it will not (purchasing multiple li-ion batteries would get expensive). Too bad really....I like the form factor.

Sounds too similiar to the magellan crossover model that has been on for a while. What took garmin so long? Even though the specs have not been released for it yet. I think battery will be a huge issue in this unit. I also want to see how weatherproof this thing is, whether it has a IPX7 rating supposively like the colorado which some people reported as not being weatherproof.

There are other nuvis with removable batteries, and Garmin needs to come out with an external battery charger, so that one or two batteries can be charged at once, also if people could develope a solar charger, that can take charging modules, such that you can charge Garmin nuvi batteries, AA batteries, and even cellphone batteries. Has there been any solar charger that could charge the eXplorist batteries? if so, there could be a way to keep some topped off batteries for the GPS units while on the trail.

There are many options when it comes to solar charging. Some better then others. AA options are very plentiful (Google). In my experience they work quite well (when you have full sun light) as a way to keep a pair of AA's topped up. If you rotate a few pairs you can keep your GPS going for a few weeks on a long canoe/hike trip.

Sounds too similiar to the magellan crossover model that has been on for a while. What took garmin so long?

I have a magellan crossover and I dont think it is nearly as functional as the nuvi 500 series will be especially when it comes to geocaching. With the crossover when you get within about 200ft of the cache a screen comes up that says you are near your destination and then it stops routing you to the cache and will not get you any closer i find it to be a huge pain. It is great with driving directions but I would not recommend it to anyone looking to use it for outdoor use. The Garmin Nuvi looks to me like it is the upgrade to the crossover, nevermind the fact that Garmin is a much better company.

That screen isn't any bigger than that of the CO or OR so I don't see the problem [that would require more power].

I just measured my Oregon at 3" diagonally. The nuvi 500 is 3.5", albeit with a slightly different aspect ratio.

That is what I'm saying.....a 1/3rd increase in screen size would not triple the power consumption (require 6 AA’s). For the average urbanite type GC that wants a car navigator and a usable GC GPSr this will work great (likely the design goal). Multi day trips off of the grid it will not (purchasing multiple li-ion batteries would get expensive). Too bad really....I like the form factor.

and that is where you're wrong. Although the increase doesn't seem great to you, a little incremental increase in screen size means almost an exponential increase in power consumption. It's not a 1 to 1 ratio like you think. So even though .5 inch doesn't sound like much, it is.

Edited by jcc123
and that is where you're wrong. Although the increase doesn't seem great to you, a little incremental increase in screen size means almost an exponential increase in power consumption. It's not a 1 to 1 ratio like you think. So even though .5 inch doesn't sound like much, it is.

Interesting. I would not have thought that to be the case. Shows what I know.

Predictions:

Nuvi 500 $500

Nuvi 560 $700

Nuvi 570 $700

Nuvi 5x0W series $700+

I doubt this. They will not want to dig too deeply into thier auto Nuvis or their hand helds so I see these having limited functionality so hard core users will still go the separate routes for GPSr use.

You are kidding... right? Have you looked at the automotive list lately?

here, let me help:

nüvi® 200 nüvi® 200W nüvi® 205 nüvi® 205W nüvi® 250 nüvi® 250W nüvi® 255 nüvi® 255W nüvi® 260 nüvi® 260W nüvi® 270 nüvi® 300 nüvi® 310 nüvi® 360 nüvi® 500 nüvi® 550 nüvi® 600 nüvi® 610 nüvi® 650 nüvi® 660 nüvi® 670 nüvi® 680 nüvi® 710 nüvi® 750 nüvi® 760 nüvi® 770 nüvi® 780 nüvi® 850 nüvi® 860 nüvi® 880 nüvi® 900T nüvi® 5000

I think the discontinued decision maker guy at Garmin quit.

GPSMagazine has posted a detailed review of the 500. The geocaching/Wherigo support looks very similar to the Oregon although there are some things missing like the map preview.

I'll be watching, probably a good unit for the casual outdoor user but I'm one who tends to carry the GPS in my hand a lot and I can't imagine that this form factor is going to be easy to hold onto (especially w/o a lanyard).

GO$Rs

Granted, but that's not my point. When I'm outdoors it is much more important to have a vertically oriented unit that fits well in my hand so I can use it with one hand without dropping it. The orientation doesn't matter to me if it is sitting broken on the ground or I have to have both hands free to use it. ;)

I really comes down to what you primary use is. If you are going to use the GPS 80% of the time in the car and you want to use it for a few short hikes, boat trips and some drive-by geocaches then the 500 will make a lot of sense. If you are looking for a unit that you can take on an overnight hike or winter camping then you'll be looking for a smaller more durable unit with longer battery life than the 500.

GO$Rs

I just read that review. Here are the things that make me want to wait for the next version. 1) No Text To Speech 2) Large size of the body relative to the screen size, they made the body thicker, larger and heavier 3)The compass is a digital one not a physical one. That is, it uses the sats to figure out what direction you're pointing. Not ideal.

Edited by jcc123
Predictions:

Nuvi 500 $500

Nuvi 560 $700

Nuvi 570 $700

Nuvi 5x0W series $700+

I doubt this. They will not want to dig too deeply into thier auto Nuvis or their hand helds so I see these having limited functionality so hard core users will still go the separate routes for GPSr use.

You are kidding... right? Have you looked at the automotive list lately?

here, let me help:

nüvi® 200 nüvi® 200W nüvi® 205 nüvi® 205W nüvi® 250 nüvi® 250W nüvi® 255 nüvi® 255W nüvi® 260 nüvi® 260W nüvi® 270 nüvi® 300 nüvi® 310 nüvi® 360 nüvi® 500 nüvi® 550 nüvi® 600 nüvi® 610 nüvi® 650 nüvi® 660 nüvi® 670 nüvi® 680 nüvi® 710 nüvi® 750 nüvi® 760 nüvi® 770 nüvi® 780 nüvi® 850 nüvi® 860 nüvi® 880 nüvi® 900T nüvi® 5000

I think the discontinued decision maker guy at Garmin quit.

That is my point. Why sell a more capable GPS at a lower price than other models? They will cut into the sales of the more profitable models and leave money on the table when they really have no competition forcing them to do this. I would love them to release a capable GPS that will cover all my needs! I just do not have faith that it will happen. These units will be hobbled unless Garmin is pushed by competition.

We have already seen the Nuvis hobbled over previous generations and features come and go. This is not new for Garmin.

To answer the solar question: there are units out there and I do take one with me when in the back country. If Garmin came out with a charger, that would help tremendously but also add another charger that needs to be carried. I would prefer a AA add on pack. The solar chargers are also maintenance intensive. If you are in an area with trees, you need to keep an eye on it and they also work much better if the cells are angled toward the sun. The only times I have been able to set it and forget it is in the middle of the day in the desert.

I actually LIKE this form factor. It more resembles a real map. Long rectangular forms are good to hold but lousy at letting you see things around you. That's why all physical maps are shaped like Nuvi's...

I disagree... our shop produces lots of maps of all shapes and sizes, including lots of "portrait" oriented maps. All depends on what you want to see. I actually think the portrait screen orientation of hand held recreational units is superior much of the time because it is common to use track-up map orientation, and you can see further ahead of you with this screen shape. Just my opinion :anitongue:

I actually think the portrait screen orientation of hand held recreational units is superior much of the time because it is common to use track-up map orientation, and you can see further ahead of you with this screen shape. Just my opinion :anitongue:

I prefer track up on the road and north up in the field, where I use my GPS in conjunction with a paper map.

I actually LIKE this form factor. It more resembles a real map. Long rectangular forms are good to hold but lousy at letting you see things around you. That's why all physical maps are shaped like Nuvi's...

I disagree... our shop produces lots of maps of all shapes and sizes, including lots of "portrait" oriented maps. All depends on what you want to see. I actually think the portrait screen orientation of hand held recreational units is superior much of the time because it is common to use track-up map orientation, and you can see further ahead of you with this screen shape. Just my opinion :anitongue:

Actually, you're seeing MORE with a Nuvi track-up, except now you have the addition of the extra sides that you can now see with the wider screen. The Nuvi screen is bigger all around. :laughing: