Bug Movement E-mails

cachestacker

I have a bunch of coins and TBs and, as an owner, normally get an e-mail each time it's retreived, placed, or discovered.

I've had many, recently, where the placing event is never e-mailed. It's not in my spam file, and I get all the other e-mails for discoveries, retreivals, and finds / DNFs for my caches.

Anyone else having this problem? I have to check my TBs/owned section to see movements unless it gets pulled immediately thereafter -- otherwise I'd not know.

Seems strange. I apologize if this is not the right place for this post.

Cachestacker.

I noticed the same thing the other day. I log one of my coins in and out of my finds to track my miles. Until a few days ago, I would get an email saying it was dropped into a cache and then one saying it was retrieved. Haven't gotten one of those in a while. Wonder if they changed some of their email notifications.

I noticed the same thing, but with a couple of my geocoins. I posted the following in another forum without response, so I'm happy to add it here since I now know I am not going crazy!

>Has anyone noticed activity on their travellers but NOT received an email notification?

>

>I had movement on two of my geocoins: one was placed in New Jersey and the other was placed in Germany, and both placements took place on 20 July.

>

>I did receive an email today, letting my know that another coin was retrieved from a cache today.

>

>Was some sort of maintenance going on with gc.com on the 20th that would have prevented email notifications (or at least delayed them)?

>

>Just curious...

From what I understand if people are logging them from their cellphones, using the WAP thing, you don't get an email notification. I can't search for the thread, because WAP isn't enough characters to search the forums, but this could be what you're experiencing.

You don't have to put a watch on your own Trackable to get notification, you'll get one as the owner.

Hey, as long as they're moving! :lol:

I don't watch them -- just get the logs as owner. But that's what is not cool -- without the drop logs you don't know there's been any movement. And without the pull logs, you don't see any logs / cacher intentions / etc.

I like to know what's happening, but don't want to have to go through my list each day. I hope that's a 'feature' they can fix.

It's not just a WAP issue for us, we log one of our coins into/out of caches for miles and haven't been getting those logs a for a couple of days now. (We haven't been logging from a cellphone.) We did get a notice that one of our traveling coins was dropped off. I just looked on the "geocaching.com" forum and didn't see a thread there, so maybe it's a sporadic issue. If it were a universal issue I'm sure Max B on the River would have reported it by now!

jrr

Edited by sillygirl & jrr

I always received an email about my bugs/coins being moved and have a personal coin that I log into/out of every cache that I visit. Since the 14th I've not received any emails about trackables movements but all other emails as usual.

I agree that it's most frustrating! Hope that they fix it soon!

Before I move this to the geocaching.com website forums, do this. Check your profile page and see what email address you put down to get emails. If it's correct, let me know, and I'll move this to the other forum where they handle website issues. This isn't a TB problem, it's a website thing, if your email address is correct. I've been getting my emails for my personal account bugs, but none have been really recent.

Check your spam blockers too.

Eartha - e-mail is ok. Spam is empty.

I am getting all other geocaching.com e-mails, including retreivals, discoveries, and people finding my caches. Just NOT the e-mails for dropping / placing my TBs. It is strange.

Now -- on the items I'm watching -- I AM getting drop and retreive. Just not on my own ones.

Edited by cachestacker

If anyone needs an example, I can provide one from today, 24 July! My geocoin, TB235FN, was placed and removed from the same cache today, GC129KY.

I received ONLY the notification that it had been removed from this cache. I did received the email stating it had been dropped at all.

Whatever the issue is, I feel it is only affecting notices of TB drops, not retrievals. I have not had anyone write notes or do anything else with my trackables, so I can't speak to problems with other types of notices. Also, this has been going on for at least 3-4 days.

Can someone look into this? (pretty please)

I get emails for own TBs: rertrieve, discovered

I don't geht emails vor own TBs: placed

I get emails for other TBs on my watchlist: retrieve, discover, place

:o

no spamfilter

Edited by widdi

:o I am not getting any e-mail notifications either, anyone have an idea?

I have a bunch of coins and TBs and, as an owner, normally get an e-mail each time it's retreived, placed, or discovered.

I've had many, recently, where the placing event is never e-mailed. It's not in my spam file, and I get all the other e-mails for discoveries, retreivals, and finds / DNFs for my caches.

Anyone else having this problem? I have to check my TBs/owned section to see movements unless it gets pulled immediately thereafter -- otherwise I'd not know.

Cachestacker.

Same thing happening here, and has done for a week or so now.

I dropped a whole wad of my Geocoins into one of my archived caches yesterday to get them off my profile. Nothing at all received by email.

I'm also finding the same thing happens if I log a cache that's on my watchlist.

However, if someone else logs that cache then I get an email as normal.

It looks like the email notifications don't come through for actions that *I* have performed myself :D

EDIT: It looks like a continuation of this problem:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=199104

Edited by The Klever Boys

From what I understand if people are logging them from their cellphones, using the WAP thing, you don't get an email notification. I can't search for the thread, because WAP isn't enough characters to search the forums, but this could be what you're experiencing.

You don't have to put a watch on your own Trackable to get notification, you'll get one as the owner.

Hey, as long as they're moving! :D

Last I checked my laptop wasn't using WAP and I'm having the issue with my personal TB in/out of my finds :D

I am fed up with having to go through my TB and GC inventory to see if someone has dropped one off.

What is being done about this?

As of Aug 7 it is being investigated :laughing:

Phew :P

Thanks Shilo.

mm

What good its doing, I don't know. They haven't figured it out yet, thats for sure :P

The same thing is happening to me. Someone took one of my geocoins on a road trip and dipped it into several caches. I got the "retrieved" email notice every time, but never did get a "placed" email notice. For coins & bugs on my watchlist I get both placed & received notices. Its just the ones I own that I don't get the "placed" email.

Cachestacker.

Yep, same problem here : (

Last I checked my laptop wasn't using WAP and I'm having the issue with my personal TB in/out of my finds ;)

I think you are confusing WAP with WiFi.

WAP is a web site called wap.geocaching.com (not www.geocaching.com) where you can log into a minimal browser and search for caches and bugs and you can log them.

WiFi is just a connection method to whatever web site you are going to.

I am having the same problem with the emails. Actually I just became aware of it as MaxB on the River has one of my bugs and is traveling throughout Australia with it. Every time she pulls it out of a cache I get the notification. I get nothing when she logs it in.

When I stopped getting notifications I just assumed my travelers were not moving. I am glad I checked on them today because a TB I gave up on resurfaced after 8 months!. B) The person who had it made their first find since January. I hope we can get email notifications again soon.

My daughter and I have had many email issues lately. We each do not receive all of our email alerts for new caches, TB movement and watched caches and this morning my daughter received TEN EMAILS EACH for some of her watched caches. None of her other emails from other sources are being duplicated. Fortunately, when one of us misses an email the other usually receives it, so between us we keep up-to-date. I would say this has been happening for the last 3 weeks. It would be nice if someone from Groundspeak or Geocaching would respond here to this issue. And please don't say "don't depend on the email alerts to keep up-to-date." I KNOW that sometimes there will be email glitches and that some won't come through. The issue here is that there is a lot more of it happening these last couple of weeks and we have never before recieved multiple duplicates of messages. Thanks. -verano

I admit to not reading every single post, but I use a TB # as a mileage tracker, and I have not received pick up or drop off notices in about 2 months! I just figured it was because it was a tracker with a few thousand entries. I actually like not getting them :rolleyes: I'm going to retire that pretty soon anyways though, it's just gotten painfully slow to log it in and out of caches.

I too did not receive an email when one of my travel bugs was placed in a cache. Any idea on when this will come back? I haven't seen any response from TPTB on the thread...

TB1CWX1

Thanks,

The Cooker

I'm sorry for not commenting earlier, but we're aware of this and a couple other email abnormalities and will hopefully be able to hotfix very soon. I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

I'm sorry for not commenting earlier, but we're aware of this and a couple other email abnormalities and will hopefully be able to hotfix very soon. I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Thanks for the update - it is good to know that TPTB are aware and there are plans to fix it. We can now be patient and wait for the fix or another update.