Ignoring a USER?

KD5XB

Yep, that's what I want to do -- I've been using GSAK and I simply delete the ones I want to ignore, but I was hoping to do something a bit more automatic.

I've done the same with GSAK - just filter a certain cache hider out. It's the easiest way...

You CAN add their hides to your ignore list but you've always got to be on the look-out for new placements that way. GSAK is a little more automagic.

michelle

This option has been requested many times over the past few years. It would be great to be able to eliminate a particular hider, or hiders, caches from the PQs. Maybe someday the PQ form will allow that . . .

In the meantime, I have saved a filter in GSAK for one person's caches. After I refresh the database with my "Date Placed" PQs, I filter out the "Last 2 DNFs," then that person's caches. Then I can reload my Palm and GPSr with new data. :lol:

please please please let us ignore a users caches on the site! the GSAK work arounds dont do a lick of good for those of us who work the maps on the site!

It's so sad, the TOS forbids us an offline database, but the only way to ever solve a problem is with GSAK, the mandated offline tool for doing anything useful?

It's so sad, the TOS forbids us an offline database, ......

Is that right? I'm not allowed to keep my own offline database? Surely not. In any case, how would "they" know?

You are permitted to keep a copy of the data for your personal use. The relevant parts of the Terms of Use and the Waypoint Download License Agreements are quoted below.

You may make a single copy of the Site Materials solely for Your personal, noncommercial use, but such copying must be consistent with any applicable additional terms and conditions and You must preserve any copyright, trademark, or other notices contained in or associated with such Site Materials. You may not distribute such copies to others, whether or not in electronic form and whether or not for a charge or other consideration, without prior written consent of the owner of such materials. If you have any questions, contact us at contact@Groundspeak.com.

Permitted Uses:

• Licensee may install the Data or portions of the Data onto a global positioning system unit ["GPS"] for Licensee's own internal use.

• Licensee may make only one (1) copy of the original Data for archival purposes unless the right to make additional copies is granted to Licensee in writing by Groundspeak.

• Licensee may modify the Data and merge other data sets with the Data for Licensee's own internal use. The portions of the Data merged with other data sets will continue to be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

• Licensee may use, copy, alter, modify, merge, reproduce, and/or create derivative works of the on-line textual content [including the about geocaching content, links content and cache hiding tutorial] for Licensee's own internal use. The portions of the on-line documentation merged with other software, data, hard copy, and/or digital materials shall continue to be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and shall provide the following copyright attribution notice acknowledging Groundspeak's proprietary rights in the on-line documentation: "Portions of this document include intellectual property of Groundspeak and are used herein by permission. Copyright © 2006 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Uses Not Permitted:

• Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement to any third party whatsoever.

• Licensee shall not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Groundspeak-compatible data format(s) in an attempt to duplicate the proprietary and copyright-protected Groundspeak data model(s) and/or export format(s).

• Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to any third party whatsoever.

• Licensee shall not remove or obscure any Groundspeak and/or licensor(s) copyright, proprietary, or trademark notices.

The myth that an offline database is against the TOU probably has to do with Groundspeak's refusal to provide pocket queries that contain archived caches. One argument that has been made for not doing this it that it would make it easier to maintain a offline database and Groundspeak wants you instead to have to download completely fresh data from the website from time to time.

The myth that an offline database is against the TOU probably has to do with Groundspeak's refusal to provide pocket queries that contain archived caches. One argument that has been made for not doing this it that it would make it easier to maintain a offline database and Groundspeak wants you instead to have to download completely fresh data from the website from time to time.

"fresh data" has nothing to do with it. It's all about continuing your PM payments.

"fresh data" has nothing to do with it. It's all about continuing your PM payments.

And? I don't see the problem with a company protecting its product.