Do you need permission to place a cache in a cemetery?

Hellolost

Do I need to get permission from the owners of the cemetery or is a cemetery considered a public spot and open to caches without getting permission?

It really depends on the local cemetary. Some are public. Some encourage people to visit and enjoy the grounds as well as pay their respects. Others are much less tolerant of anything and don't even like when people leave flowers to pay their respects.

All cemetaries have the potential to draw out strong emotions on the issues that can come up. Tread lightly.

Do you own the property? if so - go right ahead

Is it public or privately owned? You should most probably seek permission for public ones and definitely for private ones. Some folks get real touchy about issues surround cemetaries.

At any rate - be respectful and keep any physical containers well away from the markers and graves.

I walk this cemetery every day on my lunch. It is HUGE. I normally walk a mile and a half circle. In fact I have become fairly good friends with the group of grounds keepers.

If I post that this is a cemetery cache on the cache detail page I am hoping that those who don't like cemetery caches will stay away.

I don't plan on putting it at anyone's tombstone. This will be a semi out of the way area. But it will be within the field.

How would I figure out if I need permission? This is a very open cemetery. Flowers and walkers are welcome.

In the past I have had caches in well kept cemeteries and never had issues. One cache I had was at an old abandoned cemetery that had not had a burial in over 75 years. The nearby landowner was very possessive and wanted no one even stopping nearby. It all depends on the individual situation.

I walk this cemetery every day on my lunch. It is HUGE. I normally walk a mile and a half circle. In fact I have become fairly good friends with the group of grounds keepers.

Do you have permission to walk on the property every day on your lunch? Some in these forums would have you believe that you need to get explicit permission from all the families of the residents located in the cemetery. I have a cache placed in a public national cemetery. I did not get explicit permission because permission was already implied due to the fact that I was already permitted to be on the property. I would definitely get permission if the cemetery is privately owned.