Logging with other people?

BTBAM

Just posting for opinions.

I go out caching with several other cachers. Sometimes we pass the log book around and sign our own names, other times one of the people sign us all. We don't go by a TCC (for ex. Tuesday Caching Crew) on the logsheet and then individually log it online, but that is one aspect that could be discussed also. All of our names will get logged, but sometimes by one signature. this person isn't always the person who finds the cache. Sometimes someone is looking through the swag, another is logging on the Colorado, someone else may be writing down trackables tags. What are your opinions on it?

Speaking entirely for myself, I wish each cacher that is in the group would take a quick moment to sign the log. Maybe write just one comment but then each should sign in. Or maybe just have the one who signs the log make note of all that were in attendance. However, there isn't any offcial guidance on this. The members of a group can come and go, be present or not - so it is nice to know exactly who was there.

It depends on your personal rules toward what counts as a "find". I personally have to sign the log (if possible, there are exceptions) before I'll count it as a find. Others count it if they're present when the cache is located. Some count as a find when they stay in the cay while other members of the party do the finding/signing. Each to his/her own.

Just to muddy the water... When groups around here organize a "death march" (challenging hike, lots of caches, lots of cachers), they sometimes print adhesive labels with the names of everyone in the group. Or at least, the names of everyone who doesn't want to sign the logs themselves. The log of each cache the group finds gets a label with lots of names, and a few handwritten signatures.

I always go caching with my boyfriend, and I'm usually the one who signs for both, while he trades some swag and takes pictures. It's for the best, because no one would be able to read his handwriting anyway :unsure:

I sign "Harry Dolphin and Andy Bear were here.®" You don't like it? Oh. well. The situation was carefully explained to the local County Challenge team. They had no problem with it. There are exceptions, such as the 45' tree climb, where each person has to climb 45' up the tree to recover and sign the log. We'll pass on that one. Ya don't like that? I know where the ignore list is!

I always go caching with my boyfriend, and I'm usually the one who signs for both, while he trades some swag and takes pictures. It's for the best, because no one would be able to read his handwriting anyway :unsure:

I sign "Harry Dolphin and Andy Bear were here.®" You don't like it? Oh. well. The situation was carefully explained to the local County Challenge team. They had no problem with it. There are exceptions, such as the 45' tree climb, where each person has to climb 45' up the tree to recover and sign the log. We'll pass on that one. Ya don't like that? I know where the ignore list is!

Well in that case I would make a point of taking pictures of each of us at the top of the tree. But we haven't encountered anything so far with such a requirement.

So far, all the times I have been a part of a group of teams, we all have signed individually. As far as I can remember, all the caches on those trips have been regular size caches, with substantial logbooks (lots of room for everyone to sign in).

I have seen cases where a large group visits the other side of town, and mostly go after micros. In this case, one member of the group signs a special acronym for the whole group, and each team from the group logs as such..i.e. 'part of the 'XYZ' commando raid'. I personally appreciate this, since each team signing separately would have probably filled the log!

Just posting for opinions.

I go out caching with several other cachers. Sometimes we pass the log book around and sign our own names, other times one of the people sign us all. We don't go by a TCC (for ex. Tuesday Caching Crew) on the logsheet and then individually log it online, but that is one aspect that could be discussed also. All of our names will get logged, but sometimes by one signature. this person isn't always the person who finds the cache. Sometimes someone is looking through the swag, another is logging on the Colorado, someone else may be writing down trackables tags. What are your opinions on it?

As long as everyone who is getting credit for the find were actually there and contributed to the hunt, I don't see any problem with it.

Why is this even an issue?

btbam, i think you are from my area. I see your name is logs alot at least. As a (new) cache owner in your area I think i would prefer all to sign. I also think that if you cache with the same group of people naming your group and using that name to sign logs would be a cool idea. I think either way though each person should log it online at least.

just my .02

It depends on the size of the group we are with. Usually it's just my beloved husband and I out together. One of us will sign the log "Team Neos" and the other will look at the trade goodies. drop off TBs or pathtags, etc.

If we are with one or two other caches, usualy one person signs all the names.

If we are with a larger group, it tends to be after an event, when there may be many similar groups descending on local caches that same day. We tend to come up with a group moniker and one person will sign that on each cache. When we log for the day, the first person who logs each cache for the group will say who made up the group and the rest of us just say something like "Out with the Inky Breakfast Crew"

It saves log space for the cache owners who might have well over 100 cachers at their spot that one day---and it saves a huge amount of time for the group over the course of a day. One time we all signed a log to see how long it would take (and it ws the first of the day)-- It took 20 minutes. Over the course of a day, that could mean many miles that don't get hiked and caches that aren't found.

Naturally anyone who feels a special affinity for a particular cache, or who picks up or drops off TBs signs the log personally. Also any time a person is reaching some sort of milestone, they tend to make sure they personally sign that log.

I sign "Harry Dolphin and Andy Bear were here.®" You don't like it? Oh. well. The situation was carefully explained to the local County Challenge team. They had no problem with it. There are exceptions, such as the 45' tree climb, where each person has to climb 45' up the tree to recover and sign the log. We'll pass on that one.

Well in that case I would make a point of taking pictures of each of us at the top of the tree. But we haven't encountered anything so far with such a requirement.

Neither of us has the technical skills or equipment necessary, so we passed on even trying it. But, there are a few around with the requirement 'each cacher must retrieve the container'. Since the challenge is getting to the container, I can understand the requirement. I don't think we've ever done one of those. And we don't plan on trying any.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

This is a good question and rather innocent in nature. I don't see any issues with one person signing for ALL THOSE WHO ARE PRESENT AT THE CACHE SITE. Let's address another side to the question, though. Let's say you have a group of 4 (or more) cachers. 2 go to one side of town and 2 go to another side of town. Each sub-group finds 15-20 caches on each side of town. Then all 4 names get signed to the logs and all 4 people in the group log a find on the website. If you aren't at the cache site, and you don't see the cache, is it a find??? I know of a group who does that. Opinions?

This is a good question and rather innocent in nature. I don't see any issues with one person signing for ALL THOSE WHO ARE PRESENT AT THE CACHE SITE. Let's address another side to the question, though. Let's say you have a group of 4 (or more) cachers. 2 go to one side of town and 2 go to another side of town. Each sub-group finds 15-20 caches on each side of town. Then all 4 names get signed to the logs and all 4 people in the group log a find on the website. If you aren't at the cache site, and you don't see the cache, is it a find??? I know of a group who does that. Opinions?

Very interesting insight. I believe only those present should be signed/sign. If you are in a family team and one family member finds one and another family finds another (different state, different part of town, etc.) then that too is fair, for the family caches as a team and logs as a team. If the members had individual accounts, the finds wouldn't transfer the same way. Same thing with any other group. If the members were there, they can individually log. If several went one direction, several went the other, you would think only those who found the respective caches would log those caches found.

Edited by BTBAM

Wow...it took until post 19 for this to show up... :lol::huh:;):huh::wub:

In an effort to stay on topic: When I find myself caching with friends, sometimes one person signs all our names...and sometimes we pass the logbook around. Typically, if it is one person is signing the names, it is usually me...I go for the adventure, time with friends and the exercise...(see a hill...oh, nice...let's move on...see a hill with a cache...let's go up there and take a look!!!) I really don't go for the swag and all my geo-friends know that...so I sign the book with everyone's name and I don't mind doing it at all. Gottat go with Briansnat on this one "Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I don't see the problem." (talking about the actual question from the OP)

Edited by ArcherDragoon

We generally draw a table in the log book. The first column of the table includes each person's name, printed legibly. The second column is for each person's user ID number. Columns one and two can be completed by any member of the group. The third column is for the legal signature of each person. The fourth column will contain a small blood smear from each person. The fifth column will contain a carefully placed fingerprint of each person's right index finger in BLACK ink.

Edited by sbell111

We generally draw a table in the log book. The first column of the table includes each person's name, printed legibly. The second column is for each person's user ID number. Columns one and two can be completed by any member of the group. The third column is for the legal signature of each person. The fourth column will contain a small blood smear from each person. The fifth column will contain a carefully placed fingerprint of each person's right index finger in BLACK ink.

ALR?!?!?!?!

:lol::huh:;):huh::wub:

My family made a stamp with all of our caching names around the "Miller Clan" name when we get together to cache. It has made it alot easier and we all have our names recorded on the log. (Which I thought was required or the owner can delete the name(s) that do not appear on the offical log.)

When I'm not with family, the one who finds the cache gets to write down everyone's name while the rest of us looks at the swag. We are looking into getting the micro labels that I can make on the computer.. Then I can change the names to whom is caching that day with me.

What are your opinions on it?

I don't think the names have to be placed by that person's hand. Sissy generally signs for both of us, but I don't have a problem with doing it. However, one or the other of us will sign the log individually when caching in a group.

As a cache owner, I don't care for impromptu team names and then see individuals log online. This is on a couple of different levels. One is reconciling logs. I know the vast majority of folks don't do it, but if there is a questionable log I don't want to try to figure out if "Team XYZ" is actually"reggoL sugoB" or someone else. The other is it seems disrespectful as I picture three guys calling up the next set of coords for the next cache while the fourth scrawls "Team XYZ" over the whole page--all of whom are all too eager to simply move on to the next cache. No, I don't buy the "it saves room on the nano log" as I've seen it on full-sized logbooks. Writing normally and putting every person's name would have taken less room.

Bottom line: I like to make sure we put our name in the logbook. I don't mind if we're asked to put someone's name in who is there. I won't log under an impromptu team name.

This is all off-topic to the thread, but I can't resist giving my thoughts on this issue, since you brought it up.

As a cache owner, I don't care for impromptu team names and then see individuals log online. This is on a couple of different levels. One is reconciling logs. I know the vast majority of folks don't do it, but if there is a questionable log I don't want to try to figure out if "Team XYZ" is actually"reggoL sugoB" or someone else.
This is certainly a valid concern. However, most of the associated on-line logs say something like "Found with Y & Z as TeamXYZ" or "Found as part of TeamLookingForGoodCachesInSC". Since both of these logs identify the team name that was used in the paper log, Reconciliation is easy peasey. Failure to note the team name in the online log would risk getting one's log appropriately deleted, as reconciliation would be difficult.
The other is it seems disrespectful as I picture three guys calling up the next set of coords for the next cache while the fourth scrawls "Team XYZ" over the whole page--all of whom are all too eager to simply move on to the next cache.
I have two thoughts regarding this.

First, how would I know that they aren't "calling up the next set of coords for the next cache while the fourth scrawls each person's name over the whole page--all of whom are all too eager to simply move on to the next cache"?

Second, beyond being somewhat interested in whether people enjoy my cache, why would this bother me? When caching in a group, part of the conversation at each cache site will ALWAYS be something along the lines of "OK, where's the next one?" If I am concerned that people are not emoting their joy over finding my cache, perhaps I should consider hiding better caches.

No, I don't buy the "it saves room on the nano log" as I've seen it on full-sized logbooks. Writing normally and putting every person's name would have taken less room.
Perhaps, but writing the team name is easy and it helps build a tiny bit of esprit de corps, thereby helping to make those mundane finds more fun.

Black ink??? I think all of your finds should be invalidated. I only use BLUE ink for my groups and because I cache that way, it's the only legitimate way to log a find. ;)

I don't mind a group signing an impromptu team name for all of the people that are present. I have a cache out now that has limited space on the log and I know it'll be hit after an upcoming event by at least 30 people. I prefer their approach of signing a team name instead of filling up most of my log.

The part that peeves me is when all of those people log nothing more than "found this with team xyz" 50 times for all of their logs that day. I know not EVERY cache deserves a long, interesting log, but if you found 50 in a day and none of them gets more than that, something's just not right.

My husband and I do all of our caching together and really don't like to go out in groups (with an occasional exception when we are at an event). It is hard enough to be stealthy with the two of us, let alone a group of 4 or 5 when we are caching in high-muggle areas. I think everyone should sign the log with their individual names...that's how we did it at an event last weekend; we passed the log around and everyone signed it.

If we're in a group doing a numbers run, one person will usually sign in for everyone. If it's just a normal caching day, everyone will sign in individually. If it's a nano, one person will always sign in for everyone and sign with our initials, such as SMK, MCH & TUC.

If the goal is a "crazy" numbers run, we'll use stickers.

Let's address another side to the question, though. Let's say you have a group of 4 (or more) cachers. 2 go to one side of town and 2 go to another side of town. Each sub-group finds 15-20 caches on each side of town. Then all 4 names get signed to the logs and all 4 people in the group log a find on the website. If you aren't at the cache site, and you don't see the cache, is it a find??? I know of a group who does that. Opinions?

It's silly, but it doesn't hurt anything but their reputations.

I have cached for a while now with the same caching buddy.

We have fallen into a routine where who every finds the cache opens it and hands the log to the other cacher. Not having to ink the log and having the opportunity to look through the contents first is kind of a reward for finding it. :laughing:

Of course this means the finder has to put the cache back too, which is not so good when we find a nano micro. :laughing: