Legend HCx and MapSource?

KD5XB

Well, I broke down and bought a Legend HCx -- can I use my old MapSource maps on it? Should I do so? Do I even WANT to do this?

What are the pros and cons of this idea?

Or is it entirely better to purchase a preloaded micro SD card for the entire US?

Thanks all,

Earl

It depends on which "Mapsource" maps you have. If you have Topo, you can load those with no problem. If you have MetroGuide, you can load those as well. If you have City Select and never used the second Unlock Code, you should be able to get a code for the new GPSr. If you have City Navigator and Unlocked it to another GPSr, you cannot put those maps on this new GPSr.

Getting new maps on the DVD instead of the data card is the better option.

I have City Select North America -- it came with my GPS V several years ago. Looks like it should be OK.

Do I need an SD card or does this GPS have enough memory to do this?

Thanks again!

Earl

The Legend HCx has no internal Map memory, you need to get a microSD card to load maps.

Ha! I've been using a GPS V for almost five years -- that one only has 18 MB to load maps, waypoints, and routes into!

The V was a great unit in it's day but 2gb is great....you can load everything from Winnipeg to Dallas from City Navagator and then you still have room for topo detail from 5 prov/states of your choosing.

It shouldn’t really take that long (unless you’re doing all of the USA). That said it will go much faster if you don’t use the GPSr for the transfer. Instead take the card out and put it in the media card reader of your computer. If you don’t have one of those you can get an inexpensive USB one. This will make things go much faster as the GPSr is only USB 1.1 and at that it’s still much slower than that standard indicates.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MobileMate-P...r/dp/B000Q3IUV2

It's just that this entire operation is incredibly slow.

Yes, I'm trying to upload the entire 48 states -- just building the index files takes close to an hour, and then building the map set takes a couple of hours, and I don't know how long uploading the maps to the device takes because I gave up! :rolleyes:

It's just that this entire operation is incredibly slow.

Yes, I'm trying to upload the entire 48 states -- just building the index files takes close to an hour, and then building the map set takes a couple of hours, and I don't know how long uploading the maps to the device takes because I gave up! :rolleyes:

Strange....I'm on a 3 year old laptop and it only takes 30 minutes for the USA.