Opinions about Defacing

bat rocks

I am working on placing my first few hides and would like the advice of more experienced cachers. I have some spots that I feel are clever but after searching the forums, I am worried about the defacing clause.

1. There is a horse shoe pit at the local public park. I want to drill a hole in the 4x4 post that supports the backstop. Would this be defacing?

2. There is a local park that has 4x4 posts at the base of the trees with a label discribing the tree. I want to drill a hole in the 4x4 post to hide a micro. Would that be defacing?

Thanks for any feedback.

I am working on placing my first few hides and would like the advice of more experienced cachers. I have some spots that I feel are clever but after searching the forums, I am worried about the defacing clause.

1. There is a horse shoe pit at the local public park. I want to drill a hole in the 4x4 post that supports the backstop. Would this be defacing?

2. There is a local park that has 4x4 posts at the base of the trees with a label discribing the tree. I want to drill a hole in the 4x4 post to hide a micro. Would that be defacing?

Thanks for any feedback.

short answer - yes. Long answer - yes

Why don't you find a place where you can hide something other than a micro?

My opinion,

Jim

Edited by jholly

Practical test #1 for defacement guideline: When your cache is archived, can you remove all clues and containers from the field so that nobody could tell that a cache was ever there? It sounds like you have a leftover hole here.

Practical test #2 for defacement guideline: What did the park management say about the idea when you asked them for permission to implement it?

Practical test #1 for defacement guideline: When your cache is archived, can you remove all clues and containers from the field so that nobody could tell that a cache was ever there? It sounds like you have a leftover hole here.

Practical test #2 for defacement guideline: What did the park management say about the idea when you asked them for permission to implement it?

I Agree with Keystone. Attach it with a magnet or velcro so that when you remove it it will truly be gone.

Thanks for any feedback.

Yes. Both are outright destruction of city property.

Drilling a hole in a piece of wood that you have customized to fit in a large crack between two 4x4 posts isn't. When your cache is gone the location should be as if your cache never existed. UNLESS you have the owners blessing for your hide style.

Reading Keystone's post I pretty much said the same thing.

Thanks for any feedback.

Yes. Both are outright destruction of city property.

Drilling a hole in a piece of wood that you have customized to fit in a large crack between two 4x4 posts isn't. When your cache is gone the location should be as if your cache never existed. UNLESS you have the owners blessing for your hide style.

Reading Keystone's post I pretty much said the same thing.

I doubt it would happen but if you could somehow get the park's permission, then i'd say go for it.

You might also think along the lines planting your own post, again, with the park manager's permission. We did this on one of our caches in a Texas State Park. I made a fake birdhouse, put it atop a 4x4 post, then placed it. Heck, the park superintendent even offered to help with the digging of the hole! :unsure:

Edited by Mudfrog

Even with permission, there can be problems with defacement. The average cacher who comes along may not realize there is permission, and think it's a really cool hide and goes out and duplicates it. The best thing to do in that situation is to state on the cache page that you have permission for that sort of hide. But of course, not everyone reads the cache page carefully or pays attention. :unsure:

Even with permission, there can be problems with defacement. The average cacher who comes along may not realize there is permission, and think it's a really cool hide and goes out and duplicates it. The best thing to do in that situation is to state on the cache page that you have permission for that sort of hide. But of course, not everyone reads the cache page carefully or pays attention. :unsure:

Good point, but there is also the opposite situation. I went for one cache that seemed like an easy find. Looked EVERYWHERE except in the spot where the GPS led me; a flat rock level with the ground.

Finally I turned the darn rock over and below it was a nice wood lined box holding a good olde pretzel jar. The CO had dug a hole and lined it very nicely to hold the cache. I simply never looked there because it was such a (to me) obvious no-no location.