FH0338 C 326

GEO*Trailblazer 1

I need some help on this one ya'll.

FH0338 C 326

I been wanting to get here for a while and was in the area checking out the Heavner Runestone.

Anyway A painted Cross was not on my list of founds and I knew this was a rare chance paint just does not last that long.

But when I got there I found a precarious situation.

The bridge sits in a easterly westerly direction with the easterly being the most northerly of the 2.

I found a cross on both ends on top of the parapet walls.

They are rather old and no paint chips could be found in on or around them.

Now is this the Cross and was painted?

Or was it merely a painted cross?

Geo, we have found 2 painted marks out here in AZ. 1 from 1934 and 1 unknown monument, but first log in 1962. Both still had paint showing. The 1934 mark was a chiseled squared that had been painted and the other was a square that had been scraped in the concrete and then painted.

If I interpreted the map image correctly, you would need to be looking at the southern bridge (the railroad bridge) and at the north abutment at the east end of the bridge. The abutment between the railroad bridge and the highway bridge.

The mark should be on the corner nearest the bridge and on the east edge of that parapet.

If the climate there is similar to here, then some of the paint should have survived, but you would need to look close because it will have faded dramatically if it has not been renewed since it was monumented.

Hope this helps,

John

Paint doesn't seem to last long up here in Alaska... at least, the oldest paint I've laid down on a highway project was mostly gone a decade later. I've seen old old traffic paint in the southwest on 'abandoned' roadbed that's pretty old.

So - not to hijack the thread - but what's your impression of the Heavner Runestone (& the other purported runestones in that area)??? Talk about an old 'marker'!

Question: It looks like from one sign in your pictures that the bridge may be dated 1940 but if the mark was set in 1934, then is it the same bridge? There are a lot of possibilities. For example what part of the bridge was done in 1940.

The next question is about what is the parapet wall versus a wing wall or abutment on this bridge?

This is one of those where a good elevation on the top of the wall might help verify. -jw

Edited by jwahl

Question: It looks like from one sign in your pictures that the bridge may be dated 1940 but if the mark was set in 1934, then is it the same bridge? There are a lot of possibilities. For example what part of the bridge was done in 1940.

The next question is about what is the parapet wall versus a wing wall or abutment on this bridge?

This is one of those where a good elevation on the top of the wall might help verify. -jw

If you look closely at the picture with the 1940 WPA bridge you can see the "highway" bridge just to the left of the WPA bridge and another older bridge to the left of the highway bridge. That bridge would be the railroad bridge mentioned in the description. There appears to be 3 bridges at this location. From North to South they are the "WPA" bridge, the "highway" bridge & the "railroad" bridge.

John

Paint doesn't seem to last long up here in Alaska... at least, the oldest paint I've laid down on a highway project was mostly gone a decade later. I've seen old old traffic paint in the southwest on 'abandoned' roadbed that's pretty old.

So - not to hijack the thread - but what's your impression of the Heavner Runestone (& the other purported runestones in that area)??? Talk about an old 'marker'!

I did not think it was true until I seen it.

"Seeing is believing"

Now I am sure Columbus was not the first one to discover America.

Yes you are right but my GPS aint gonna get that good of elevation.

And which,wing,parapet,abutment good questions.

I will have to go back someday and check it all out.

And paint here does not last very long.

Well I will leave it as a note for now.

NOTE: To self go back!!