Need help to verify a location in Shenandoah National park

aujoli

I would like to ask a favor of a fellow benchmark hunter. As I reported a while back, I found a marker (from 1928) in the Shenandoah National park and from my photo and description Dave Doyle was able to find some old records that show it as lost or reported missing sometime back. I would like to see if someone could go to 38 37.498 and 078 20.392 to see if they can find and verify the location. As I remember it was just off of the Jewell Hollow Overlook parking lot to the south west and it was on top of a set of big rocks. It wasn't far from the parking area and it looked like lots of people walk around and over the rocks by the looks of the paths around the area. Let me know if you can help.

AUJOLI

Melbourne, FL

Maybe.. But you had a photo, so what specifically do you want verified? - jlw

I would like to ask a favor of a fellow benchmark hunter. As I reported a while back, I found a marker (from 1928) in the Shenandoah National park and from my photo and description Dave Doyle was able to find some old records that show it as lost or reported missing sometime back. I would like to see if someone could go to 38 37.498 and 078 20.392 to see if they can find and verify the location. As I remember it was just off of the Jewell Hollow Overlook parking lot to the south west and it was on top of a set of big rocks. It wasn't far from the parking area and it looked like lots of people walk around and over the rocks by the looks of the paths around the area. Let me know if you can help.

AUJOLI

Melbourne, FL

Sorry, my location listed is way off of the original listed location. I was wondering if somebody could go to my listed location and verify my numbers. If in fact its at my location, then the original listing may have been wrong. I am not sure of the accuracy of my GPS at the time of my marking. Again my location was marked at 38 37.498 and 078 20.392 .

AUJOLI

Maybe.. But you had a photo, so what specifically do you want verified? - jlw

AUJOLI

Melbourne, FL

Mitch, the location is 38 37.498 and 078 20.392, the marker is on top of a set of large rocks in what I remember as Jewell Hollow overlook (West side of the Skyline drive)

Joe

Aujoli,

Pass along what information you have. I'd be interested since I live about 60 miles east of there.

Perhaps I can do a field check for you on my next camping trip.

~ Mitch ~

Mitch, the location is 38 37.498 and 078 20.392, the marker is on top of a set of large rocks in what I remember as Jewell Hollow overlook (West side of the Skyline drive)

Joe

Hi Joe,

How about sending me an e-mail with ALL the info that you have. (including Dave D's notes)

Hate to waste a 120 mile round trip if I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

~ Mitch ~

Note that there is a BM shown on the quads north of your coordinates. As you probably understood, your coordinates do not match your description and are down the hill on the east side.

Here is a picture that I found:

BM/Sta on Jewell Hollow Overlook

The approx coordinate of the BM map mark from the USGS quad is 38 37.630, 78 20.337

jlw

PS: That picture appears to be from 2004 so the mark itself does not appeared destroyed unless it's setting has moved. Also Google Earth imagery shows white spots just E. and W. of this coordinate, either of which may be the "large rock". You might take a look and see what you remember and refine your coordinate.

Google Maps View

Joe

Hi Joe,

How about sending me an e-mail with ALL the info that you have. (including Dave D's notes)

Hate to waste a 120 mile round trip if I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

~ Mitch ~

Edited by jwahl

Yes the Google map location looks to be where my son was climbing on the rocks. I am guessing that I didn't let my GPS collect a strong enough signal befor marking the location so this may account for some error in my mark. hopefully someone can revisit the area and find the BM and post their coordinates. I'm new to BM hunting and I thought it was cool to find one from 1928. As for the photo, its almost exactly the same as the photo I took. Thanks for all the replies and help.

Note that there is a BM shown on the quads north of your coordinates. As you probably understood, your coordinates do not match your description and are down the hill on the east side.

Here is a picture that I found:

BM/Sta on Jewell Hollow Overlook

The approx coordinate of the BM map mark from the USGS quad is 38 37.630, 78 20.337

jlw

PS: That picture appears to be from 2004 so the mark itself does not appeared destroyed unless it's setting has moved. Also Google Earth imagery shows white spots just E. and W. of this coordinate, either of which may be the "large rock". You might take a look and see what you remember and refine your coordinate.

Google Maps View

Joe

Hi Joe,

~ Mitch ~

I've been camping for the past two days north of Luray, Va. and making some great finds.

(Will let everyone know the results in a few days, as soon as I'm home and sorted out all my photos and notes.

As I type this, I'm sitting comfortably in my car, with a new laptop, power inverter using the campground's wifi.

Yeah... Ive gone ultra-paperless! :laughing:

I'll be at the Jewell Hollow Overlook benchmark tomorrow to get the reading I promised Joe.

Joe, is there anything else you'd like me to do while I'm there?

~ Mitch ~

Well... after a 60+ mile drive and $15.00 admission to Skyline Drive - I finally have your answer!

hddd.mm.mmm = N38 37.640, W78 20.336 ← Geocaching Standard Format

hddd.mm.ss.s = N38 37 38.4, W78 20 20.2 ← NGS Standard Format

Readings were solid with an EPE (Estimated Postition Error) of ± 9 feet.

Regards,

~ Mitch ~

P.S. - Here's a closeup with the GPSr. (Sorry BDT :ph34r: )

9rp2bn.jpg