Garmin eTrex Legend HCx vs. Vista HCx

Hello all,

I'm in the market for my first GPS, and I've narrowed the field to the Garmin eTrex HCx line. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the Legend HCx and the Vista HCx is the later has an electronic compass and

barometric altimeter.

I don't personally think these would be terribly useful features...would anyone care to change my mind?

My primary use for the device is an upcoming, week-long back country canoe trip. I also do a fair amount of hiking, and this whole geocaching thing has my interest piqued (never tried it, but it sounds like fun!).

I'd love to hear from you wise souls, if anyone has an opinion or experience that would help to guide my decision.

many thanks,

-prograde.

I value having the electronic compass -- when calibrated, it can help point the way to a cache -- when I'm having a tough time zeroing in, I will often lay the unit down and turn the compass on and let things settle in. More often than not, it will point me in the right direction.

With that said however, I do keep the compass off most of the time -- particularly while moving at slower speeds. Could I live without it? -- yes, most definitely. Is it nice to have? yes, it is. Haven't checked the prices lately, but if it's not a lot more, I'd say go for it. If it's a significant delta in cost however -- say the cost of topo or City Nav maps -- I'd say your money would be better spent on those.

Excellent - thanks for your thoughts!

I just found a relevant thread (sorry, should have looked for that first):

Comparing Garmin Handhelds

The price difference between the Legend and Vista is about $50. I imagine that a compass would be useful, but I happen to own an old-fashioned, mundane one that works just fine. I like your suggestion to put the $50 towards maps.

thanks again.

When I use my 60CSx for hunting I like the compass for one reason only. If I am enroute to a stand or any spot for that matter and I stop for a few minutes to look, listen, and rest, then the compass will give me the general direction to start walking again on those overcast days or in the darkness. This saves the likelyhood of starting to walk in the wrong direction until the satellites show you your direction of travel and then you alter your course accordingly. You could very easily start walking 180 degrees from your intended course and not know it until you changed location enough that it showed your movement on whatever zoomed scale you may have your GPS on. I don't expect the compass to be accurate enough for true navigation, just want it to give me a general direction and in this capacity it has always worked perfectly when used properly knowing it's limitations.

I have the Vista HCx and use the compass. I shopped around a lot and when I purchased it, the difference in price wasn't so much to make me get the Legend HCx.

please forgive a newbies ignorance,I'm very new to gps units and geocaching. I hear this talk about a electric compass and I'm wondering if we're talking about the same that I experience with my new vista HCx. When am approaching a cache I watch the black triangle on my topo 2008 map and it points me in the right direction since the arrow on the map is always pointing in the direction am pointing the device.I don't see the need to look at the "rotating compass ring" as described in the manual. It's not that am not experienced with a comapss.Before getting my unit last month I found all the things I was looking for in the woods (old homestead foundations) with a simple compass and map.

Edited by westernPaBilly